scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Take Robobot for example. I wish people wouldn't brush off Kirby as "lol kirby" when talking about lore/story. It's not extremely deep or anything but all games/enemies are connected in some way.
I think I'm more rolling my eyes a bit that seemingly every game needs to have OMG DEEP LORE these days. Are all the games really connected? I played and loved Kirby 64. How does that tie into this or Robobot?

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never in my life knew that people actually cared about Kirby stories.

I barely knew they had them, haha. From what I remember, it's just like a big evil dark thing comes and steals crystals/stars/friendship or something, right? Was there a game that actually had a real story?

Kirby lore is actually deeper (and darker) than most Nintendo games... And not in a "the fans are guessing" way. They legit tie shit together in the background, for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Check out the story for Robobot, for example. Most of it is learned from pause screens, as opposed to the gameplay itself.

ReadyorNot

Jan 6, 2018
I played the demo two days ago and reading some impressions here made me worry that I wouldn't like it at all.

It was quite the opposite really. I only disliked one thing and that was when allies got in my way a little when I played alone. But I had a great deal of fun playing with my family (and without) and it looks artistically great.

As a big fan of Return to Dream Land, I was satisfied by the demo. I want it.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since always for 2D platformers. The type of gameplay matters.

The type of gameplay does matter. Kirby is not a precision platformer. Again, people are in here talking about how great Robobot was, but that wasn't locked 60 FPS. It didn't matter because it's Kirby lol.

Similarly, a locked 30 FPS is perfectly fine for this sort of game.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Well for one
the main goal of the antagonists in Star Allies seem to be to resurrect Dark Matter/Zero, which is refered to from some ancient scrolls from what I understand. The same ancient scrolls/beings are said to have created the Nova from Superstar, and we see another Nova in Robobot as Star Dream.
I barely know what any of that means, but I'll take your word for it.

Kirby lore is actually deeper (and darker) than most Nintendo games... And not in a "the fans are guessing" way. They legit tie shit together in the background, for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Check out the story for Robobot, for example. Most of it is learned from pause screens, as opposed to the gameplay itself.
Ehh, you lost me at "dark." That always reminds me of when I was 10 and me and my friends thought that Sabrina throwing pokeballs with a mind-controlled doll was "so creepy and dark!!!!" But to each their own.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Ehh, you lost me at "dark." That always reminds me of when I was 10 and me and my friends thought that Sabrina throwing pokeballs with a mind-controlled doll was "so creepy and dark!!!!" But to each their own.
Eh, dark in terms of the events and motivations of the characters. Robobot is legitimately a classical tragedy, Haltmann's whole goal was to power up Star Dream to find his long lost daughter Susie who had been under his nose the whole time (and was ultimately betrayed by her).

The horrors Kirby ends up facing are more eldritch than grimdark too, so that's a nice contrast.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For reals. For the longest time most console games sat at 30 FPS and gamers didn't whine about it because it wasn't a thing until sometime last gen.

Games were 60 FPS for the entire 8-bit and 16-bit generations, it was only with the advent of 3D visuals that framerates started to tank, and we've complained about it ever since (and for the record, there's been a large amount of action games at 60 FPS in every single generation, I can name a few if you want). But hey, I get it, rewriting history to support your opinion is fun. :)

Also lol at "Kirby lore". Yeah, I think I'll wait for the visual novel. :D

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
The type of gameplay does matter. Kirby is not a precision platformer. Again, people are in here talking about how great Robobot was, but that wasn't locked 60 FPS. It didn't matter because it's Kirby lol.

Similarly, a locked 30 FPS is perfectly fine for this sort of game.

It's still much too fast paced to feel good in 30 fps, IMO. While it's true that Robobot's framerate wasn't locked 60 either when 3D was turned on, it was much higher on average than star allies. And it was very damn close to locked 60 with 3D turned off.

Also, fwiw, I personally thought Robobot was very mediocre compared to the best games in the series.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
Games were 60 FPS for the entire 8-bit and 16-bit generations, it was only with the advent of 3D visuals that framerates started to tank, and we've complained about it ever since (and for the record, there's been a large amount of action games at 60 FPS in every single generation, I can name a few if you want). But hey, I get it, rewriting history to support your opinion is fun. :)
Which part of history did the person you quote rewrote? I read gaming magazines since I was a child, and none of them mention any nonsense about FPS.

We now know about it because of the web, which magazines talk about 30/60FPS performance in the PS1/2 era??

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I barely know what any of that means, but I'll take your word for it.

The true motivations of Queen Sectonia in Triple Deluxe was to get Kirby to help her commit suicide because she had been turned evil by the amazing mirror.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
I've never played a Kirby game but this demo was wonderful. Easy, sure, but I think we have enough super challenging 2D platformers to last a lifetime. It's nice to have a bright, colorful game to just cruise through.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
The true motivations of Queen Sectonia in Triple Deluxe was to get Kirby to help her commit suicide because she had been turned evil by the amazing mirror.
See, but I feel like that's just Tumblr "dark." A needlessly dramatic cherry thrown on top of a technicolor sundae to make it seem HARDCORE. Silly.

(I don't have anything against Kirby otherwise. Just for the record.)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Which part of history did the person you quote rewrote?

The part where he said that games were 30 FPS, for starters? I thought I had made it clear with my post, what's confusing you? Did you stop reading halfway through?

I read gaming magazines since I was a child, and none of them mention any nonsense about FPS.

Who said a thing about magazines? Me and my friends were fully aware of framerate during the SNES era (I mean, you'd have to be blind not to see how Starfox was a slideshow), and during the PSX era, Soul Edge was much less popular in our group than any other fighter like the Tobal games, Bloody Roar games, and Tekken 2 and 3 because it ran at 30 FPS while all the latter did at 60. Soul Calibur was a veritable sensation because it looked amazing (for the time) and ran at 60 FPS; we played the hell out of that.

"Nonsense" indeed.

We now know about it because of the web, which magazines talk about 30/60FPS performance in the PS1/2 era??

Again, what the hell are you going on about magazines? Neither of our posts says a thing about them. I had two eyes to see for myself what the framerate of a game is; if you can't tell the difference then more power to you, but not everyone else is like that. What absolutely ridiculous and ignorant argument.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played the demo yesterday. It's absolutely inacceptable that this game is 30 FPS, and even playing with my SO it was boring as hell, a clear step back from the 3DS entries, let alone Super Star. The elemental skills are just permutations with not much in the way of variety (I was expecting something like Kirby 64, even dialed down).

Worst Kirby game in a very long time. I don't know what the hell happened here.

It's completely acceptable since they're prioritizing the graphics instead of the fps. 30 fps locked is pretty normal. Also, Planet Robobot did 30 fps and 60fps in 3DS depending on the time, it wasn't something locked everytime.

Kirby isn't an game that needs precision at all so 30 fps is completely acceptable in gameplay means.

Also lol at "Kirby lore". Yeah, I think I'll wait for the visual novel. :D

You can lol for your life but there's Kirby lore in every game.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
I played the demo last night and had a lot of fun. Hated that I couldn't customize the control layout, but I assume that will be enabled in the base-game.

My have to buy this next week when I got to visit my family. Gives me a game to play with my nephew.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Let me post this here since I didn't get any specific help on the other thread:

Does the Kirby Star Allies My Nintendo mission working for you?

There's a new My Nintendo mission that asks you to find 4 hearts on the Kirby Star Allies websiteto get 100 coins. But when I go to the site, it says I already found the 4 hearts. I used two different PC browsers, and mobile, and it still said the same thing. Normally, that would be awesome, if it wasn't for the fact that My Nintendo still has the mission as incomplete. Just in case, I tried to find the hearts regardless, but the mission on My Nintendo still doesn't register it as completed.

So, anyone else having this issue too?

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Let me post this here since I didn't get any specific help on the other thread:

Does the Kirby Star Allies My Nintendo mission working for you?

There's a new My Nintendo mission that asks you to find 4 hearts on the Kirby Star Allies websiteto get 100 coins. But when I go to the site, it says I already found the 4 hearts. I used two different PC browsers, and mobile, and it still said the same thing. Normally, that would be awesome, if it wasn't for the fact that My Nintendo still has the mission as incomplete. Just in case, I tried to find the hearts regardless, but the mission on My Nintendo still doesn't register it as completed.

So, anyone else having this issue too?
yup, did the exact same thing to me

it's all FRICKED up, apparently

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing going on with this game that should prevent them from targeting 60FPS. I don't know why anyone just so easily accepts this.
Four-person multiplayer with powers that have crazy visual effects?

With some high-quality lighting, lots of on-screen enemies at a time (some of which have their own intense visual effects), running on a handheld... There are, at the very least, a lot of situations that can cause Robobot-like slowdown if targeting 60fps.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Which part of history did the person you quote rewrote? I read gaming magazines since I was a child, and none of them mention any nonsense about FPS.

Here's gamespots review of Tobal no. 1 from 1996.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/tobal-no-1-review/1900-2549834/
It mentions the games smooth framerate right in the second paragraph. It was often a point of discussion in titles.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Four-person multiplayer with powers that have crazy visual effects?
Not to mention the crazy lighting going on in the game, which is actually very impressive. There's plenty of valid reasons why the game is only running at 30.

But that's not to say that I feel it should be, my thought is that a game that heavily focuses on movement and action like this should always shoot for 60. But for whatever reason HAL opted for higher graphical fidelity at the cost of framerate, and here we are.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
Reading some of these posts it makes me think Kirby is Dr.Strange or something.

Anyway, the game itself is fantastic, I don't understand the complaints about 30FPS especially when it looks so damn good.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
See, but I feel like that's just Tumblr "dark." A needlessly dramatic cherry thrown on top of a technicolor sundae to make it seem HARDCORE. Silly.

(I don't have anything against Kirby otherwise. Just for the record.)
Kirby kills her pretty brutally.

Kirby has been steadily building lore and continuity since Adventure, which established Dedede as a good guy who just acts like a jerk sometimes and blew up part of the moon; which has stayed that way ever since.

One good example is Squeak Squad; one of the weakest Kirby games in terms of story. It features the Halberd, which they could have just had be in the game. But instead they had it sitting at the bottom of the ocean where it had been resting since Kirby sank it all the way back in Super Star and had Meta Knight fixing it.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Played this with my GF and we both had lots of fun, so we'll be getting the full game day one. We both agreed on one thing though: game would be muuuuuch much better without the 3rd and 4th friend

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it does. Kirby games look magical with fluid animation. 60fps is a must. as good as this game looks i'd love it more at 60fps with some graphical draw backs. i think the switch could of produce some magical graphics at 60fps.

I mean, it would be great if the game was 60 fps but it isn't. Like other people said, the graphics, resolution, illumination and effects happening in there probably means that 60fps wouldn't be locked at all with all of it in the game so they probably opted to do 30 fps instead. Such changes happen for a motive and that's probably why.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
The part where he said that games were 30 FPS, for starters? I thought I had made it clear with my post, what's confusing you? Did you stop reading halfway through?

Who said a thing about magazines? Me and my friends were fully aware of framerate during the SNES era (I mean, you'd have to be blind not to see how Starfox was a slideshow), and during the PSX era, Soul Edge was much less popular in our group than any other fighter like the Tobal games, Bloody Roar games, and Tekken 2 and 3 because it ran at 30 FPS while all the latter did at 60. Soul Calibur was a veritable sensation because it looked amazing (for the time) and ran at 60 FPS; we played the hell out of that.

"Nonsense" indeed.

Again, what the hell are you going on about magazines? Neither of our posts says a thing about them. I had two eyes to see for myself what the framerate of a game is; if you can't tell the difference then more power to you, but not everyone else is like that. What absolutely ridiculous and ignorant argument.
Friend! calm down, whats with this agressive reply?
The main point i was adressing was the "whining about FPS back then" since the only source of communication in the past was adressed in magazines, the social aspect of the hobby in a technical level wasn't prominant, is all i am saying.

No need to be angry, i apologize if i made you upset, wasnt my intention at all.

Here's gamespots review of Tobal no. 1 from 1996.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/tobal-no-1-review/1900-2549834/
It mentions the games smooth framerate right in the second paragraph. It was often a point of discussion in titles.
It always amaze me to see ancient articles on the net, to me the internet was born in the 2000th :P
Thank you for linking it!

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Kirby kills her pretty brutally.

Kirby has been steadily building lore and continuity since Adventure, which established Dedede as a good guy who just acts like a jerk sometimes and blew up part of the moon; which has stayed that way ever since.

One good example is Squeak Squad; one of the weakest Kirby games in terms of story. It features the Halberd, which they could have just had be in the game. But instead they had it sitting at the bottom of the ocean where it had been resting since Kirby sank it all the way back in Super Star and had Meta Knight fixing it.

But that doesn't really seem like lore, though. Blizzard Buffalo and Chill Penguin were frozen in the Frost Walrus stage in Mega Man X4, but it's not like there's some deep connection there.

Although that's neat about the Kirby stuff. Fun little easter eggs.

AaronB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played both demo levels. The game is pretty. I really felt like my button presses had very little effect on what was happening, as my allies seemed to just take care of everything. I felt like I could just walk through the levels without pressing any buttons and it would have had the same outcome. The allies also seem to be swarming everywhere around me, to the point that I sometimes lost track of where I was compared to them. I kept thinking that I just wanted to play solo without the allies. (can you do that?) On the hard level boss, I was getting low on health - so I just stood back and let the allies kill him. It seemed like there is a lot of combinations of abilities/friends, which I guess sounds fun? I just wish the allies weren't so aggressive at doing everything for you. :(

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Kirby on ancient hardware like the 3DS can have 60fps while also accounting for the 3D effect, then there is zero excuse why a switch Kirby game can't be 60FPS. This is incredibly disappointing no matter how you slice it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Friend! calm down, whats with this agressive reply?

I tend to not take it well when people a) don't read more than three words of what I wrote, b) imply I'm lying / making stuff up, c) call what I say "nonsense", but especially d) all of the above. Now if you're done tone policing hopefully we can leave this sorry episode behind.

It always amaze me to see ancient articles on the net, to me the internet was born in the 2000th :P

Well that explains a lot...

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Game looks stunning.

Hopefully the critics aren't hung up on it being 30fps and it scores 80+ MC. If they rate it the way the... fans in this thread have rated the demo though then yikes.

I don't think Star Allies will take the "best Kirby" crown in any case, that title belongs to Planet Robobot for the foreseeable future.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Hopefully the critics aren't hung up on it being 30fps and it scores 80+ MC. If they rate it the way the... fans in this thread have rated the demo though then yikes.

I could be wrong, but critics don't seem as invested in frame rate as the vast, faceless internet mob. The only time I see it come up in reviews is when a game has frequent, noticeable frame drops that impact playability, and that certainly doesn't seem to be the issue with Kirby.

I do think it might suffer from its low difficulty though, particularly since most reviewers are operating under a deadline and many not have time to dig deep into the post game (or may just not be invested enough to bother). Also, I think the average reviewer will play this solo 90%+ of the time and put in maybe an hour or so with multiple players, and I'm getting the impression that might not be ideal. From what I've watched/read, it seems like the game really shines in multiplayer. (Which sucks, because I am a sad, reclusive loser who will be playing it mostly alone.)

Anyway, if I had to guess, I'd bet that it ends up in the mid-to-high 70s on Metacritic, like most other Kirby titles.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Also, I think the average reviewer will play this solo 90%+ of the time and put in maybe an hour or so with multiple players, and I'm getting the impression that might not be ideal. From what I've watched/read, it seems like the game really shines in multiplayer. (Which sucks, because I am a sad, reclusive loser who will be playing it mostly alone.)

Anyway, if I had to guess, I'd bet that it ends up in the mid-to-high 70s on Metacritic, like most other Kirby titles.

Don't forget that 3D World was multiplayer focused, and it remains the best game in the Mario series to date (sorry Odyssey), so I'm sure solo Star Allies will be amazing in the full game.

Unfortunately, Kirby's home-run of consecutive critically acclaimed games was already ruined by that Kirby Battle Royale trash. Literally a cheap, sad cash-in that managed to do nothing but be a stain on an otherwise stellar series (I'm not mad anymore).

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that 3D World was multiplayer focused, and it remains the best game in the Mario series to date (sorry Odyssey), so I'm sure solo Star Allies will be amazing in the full game.

Unfortunately, Kirby's home-run of consecutive critically acclaimed games was already ruined by that Kirby Battle Royale trash. Literally a cheap, sad cash-in that managed to do nothing but be a stain on an otherwise stellar series (I'm not mad anymore).
I mean, if we're talking about reviews, 3D World was outscored by the Galaxies and Odyssey so if anything that shows Star Allies will be reviewed lower than the single player Kirbys.

Gianko

Nov 1, 2017
ROME, ITALY
Then I've got the game for you bro!

dudebro-bro-ken-revenge.jpg
but that's not on Switch! :D

come on..i love Nintendo and their game design but Kirby it's not my taste!