• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got around to playing this. Man, is it bad. Too much crap going on and I feel like barely any of it is from my input. Controls are just awful imo with the A button used too much. Piss easy as well. I haven't played a kirby game since the GBA days so I didn't really know what to expect

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Played the demo with my wife tonight. Feels like it's way too hectic with two AI partners on top of us playing. Hard to think about whether we want an ability or partner without accidentally killing it. Could use a more zoomed out camera too.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Played the demo with my wife tonight. Feels like it's way too hectic with two AI partners on top of us playing. Hard to think about whether we want an ability or partner without accidentally killing it. Could use a more zoomed out camera too.

You can remove the AI characters

Feb 21, 2018
Looks nice but doesn't have the same speed and Kirby-ness as Kirby Return to Dreamland on Wii. I loved Yarn Kirby too but everything here just feels overly simplistic and slow. Bummed that the combo powers aren't like 64. This will be the perfect excuse for me to use that Gamefly promo for $1.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
People saying Kirby games aren't dark should go revist crystal shards on the N64. The eerie implications of that Shiver Star and that Evangelion-esque monster are pretty disturbing.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Something feels off with the demo for me. Playing handheld, it's either that the framerate isn't stable, or there's some sort of frame pacing. I can't exactly put my finger on why but it feels off. Anyone else feel this?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I finally played this today, and have no idea what all the criticism is for. It's Kirby. It's exactly what I expected. Day one.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
People saying Kirby games aren't dark should go revist crystal shards on the N64. The eerie implications of that Shiver Star and that Evangelion-esque monster are pretty disturbing.
Yeah. Kirby's Adventure and Dream Land 3 also had some crazy final bosses that contrasted with the rest of the games. That's a Kirby trademark.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I've never had FPS affect my enjoyment of a game, it was tolerable in BotW because it was isolated to a couple of sections but it really bothered me in this demo, it's noticeable from the start... Kirby walking slowly did not help either. Is it better in docked mode?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
There's a true hadoken if you do the command input??

and no one told me.
Though it was fun to find it myself.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
1st Kirby game for me & my Switch is primarily a portable co-op system.

Only watched a brief preview & knew I'll enjoy it, I'm so psyched!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do I want this game or Ni No Kuni 2. Hmm... The latter is probably going to sell poorly and get its prices lowered so I should consider that.

Oct 25, 2017
L69yl5P.png

I havent played a mainline Kirby game since the original Kirby's Dream Land. I caught some gameplay of this and it convinced me to download the demo, and I love it. I think I'm going to get it. Before today I basically didn't even glance at this game, I didn't know it was coming next week.

Ive seen some people complain that it is too easy, and yes even the 'hard' level was super easy. But considering I havent played the series since Dream Land, and that easy game basically existed to me to be a relaxation good vibes kinda game, I'm perfectly pleased that this new game gives me similar vibes.

One thing drives me CRAZY though. The player character badly needs to be given "always in front" layer priority over CPU characters. I keep getting lost among my allies and shit gets hard to follow. Sometimes I just stop playing for a few seconds because I have no idea what's going on and they're all crowding around me. I dont know why they would allow the player model to intersect and fall behind the allies. It fucks with my eyes, it makes me not even want allies. It's a really obvious flaw with a really obvious fix.
For the love of god somebody tell their uncle that works at nintendo to patch that shit.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I ordered it, and since it costs twice as much as Robobot (the actual new best Kirby game), I hope I'm in for a ride.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
One thing drives me CRAZY though. The player character badly needs to be given "always in front" layer priority over CPU characters.
Yup. Just finished the 'hard' level with the boss and it got quite ridiculous with some of the effects and stuff. Had no idea where Kirby was for most of the time but spamming B certainly does the job, lol. The CPU does the rest.

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
Finally played this with my bro last night.

Experience was very good. The game is just better imo when you have someone to interact with while playing. There's more room for miscommunication and player error, which makes the experience less automated and more natural. That's kind of the general feel I got at least; I'm positive that could be worded more proficiently.

Only issue was that managing power combinations as P2 is kind of annoying. Having to rely on P1 sometimes because you can't make allies yourself slows the game down a bit.

Multiplayer is definitely the way to go if you have the chance though!

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played the demo with a gamecube controller for the hell of it and, somehow, the game felt faster. I think the responsiveness of the controller help, which I feel is better than the joycon.

It did improve my enjoyment. Still undecided, though.

King Onion

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly not sure if I am going to pick this up at launch or just get around to playing Robobot. I 100% Triple Deluxe and Rainbow Curse so I am not really worried about the difficulty since I know going for the completion will have some good challenge. Just a little disappointed that there is no over arching theme, it just looks like a standard Kirby game, no interesting yarn, clay, crayon, or robot aesthetic. I'm confident it will be a good game but I doubt it will standout in the lineup of great or unique Kirby games.

Steezy

Jan 7, 2018
When do reviews come out? Can't decide whether to go for this. If it's as good as Triple Deluxe then I'll be happy.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I went back to play Planet Robobot on the 3DS today and I have to say: it's really a shame they did not manage to get the game run at 60fps.

It would be so cool, if they would give us at least a "performance mode" option, like FE Warriors does (720p at 60fps, docked only).

Oh well, I am still looking forward to it! At least, the 30fps do not seem to drop at any time, based on my impressions from the demo.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something feels off with the demo for me. Playing handheld, it's either that the framerate isn't stable, or there's some sort of frame pacing. I can't exactly put my finger on why but it feels off. Anyone else feel this?
The framerate is 30fps, but drops a lot when you have a lot of things happening on screen or when you enter/leave a room.

It's downright shocking.

This is by far my favorite Kirby game, but I can't tell if it's because of those elements, the ability combinations, or simply the fact that its not on a hand-held.

Oct 27, 2017
30 fps usually isn't a deal breaker for me, but it just feels odd and slow here. Also load screens between doors is really not good. The game feels off to me.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Really didn't feel this, looked rough and found it pretty boring. However I'm not 10 so I guess I'm not the target audience.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain why this runs at 30fps? A huge game like Mario Odyssey runs at 60 locked and looks seriously spectacular to boot, but a side-scrolling platformer is having trouble here? Even going below 30?

Feels like they might've rushed this.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Can someone explain why this runs at 30fps? A huge game like Mario Odyssey runs at 60 locked and looks seriously spectacular to boot, but a side-scrolling platformer is having trouble here? Even going below 30?

Feels like they might've rushed this.
Nobody can tell you without looking at the code. At least from a glance it seems like lighting and effects are more intensive than Odyssey's, which is actually a graphically simple game but makes great use of art style.

When Odyssey does start going a little oveboard in locations like New Donk City, you can see the cracks, where the framerate starts to chug and you can see just how aggressive it is with LOD.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got around to playing the demo tonight, wow, really disappointed. Definitely not buying this.

-Framerate really impacts the game's appearance, scrolling is not smooth and looks choppy. Kirby's movement feels really slow.

-Can whoever it is at NCL who is apparently obsessed with having the A button set for jumping in 2D games and VC titles please STOP already? Using the A button for jumping feels terrible.

-Team gameplay just feels simplistic and bland.

-The on screen icons/energy bars for the allies plastered on screen are too big and having an icon for the control scheme permanently mapped to the upper right of the screen is stupid and distracting. Is this only in the demo?

-I know he's supposed to be a pushover but the Whispy Woods boss battle was pure autopilot. My allies did most of the work for me while I just mindlessly spammed my fire sword attack until he went down.

Last edited: