• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They painted a huge target on her and then acted like they did nothing wrong. Then Kobe pays her a ton of money (assumed) and as part of the deal issues an embarrassing statement acknowledging he didn't have consent. Totally the actions of an innocent man, no doubt. But he's a good basketball player in the NBA's biggest market, so he gets a pass.
It's the only option for any person accused of rape.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
https://jezebel.com/kobe-bryants-oscar-win-reminds-us-that-time-is-not-up-f-1823506004

I thought Diana Moskovitz's piece on this was really good and worth the read. Regardless of your feelings on whether Kobe was innocent or guilty, the way his legal defense treated his accuser was unacceptable, and I'd wager that is why she ended up settling.

Damn.

How did her name get out? Usually if you accuse someone you have the right to remain anonymous, no? :/

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
https://jezebel.com/kobe-bryants-oscar-win-reminds-us-that-time-is-not-up-f-1823506004

I thought Diana Moskovitz's piece on this was really good and worth the read. Regardless of your feelings on whether Kobe was innocent or guilty, the way his legal defense treated his accuser was unacceptable, and I'd wager that is why she ended up settling.

The way his legal team treated her is a good part of why the dude came out of this pretty unscathed honestly. It's pretty similar to the standard defense except back then the criticism of the methodolgy and the support for victims wasn't nearly as strong.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
There is an impressive amount of legal misinformation in this thread and the other one.

The case did not go to trial.

Kobe's innocence was not proven.

Charges were only "dropped" because the accuser expressed an unwillingness to testify.

Her silence in subsequent years does not signal anything other than adherence to a confidentiality, non-disclosure, or non-disparagement agreement.

Please, if you are not an attorney, at least make an attempt to remark carefully on legal matters, as semantic differences can be important.

That the accuser was harassed, threatened, and generally tormented is incontrovertible. I don't know how - or why - anyone would suggest that she wasn't.

OP
OP
Jack Remington

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really not sure why, in an adversarial justice system, people would expect a defense team not to be adversarial and bring up what they see as arguments weakening the prosecution's case.

We really need that other thread reopened so that people can take the legal stuff in there though.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Really not sure why, in an adversarial justice system, people would expect a defense team not to be adversarial and bring up what they see as arguments weakening the prosecution's case.

We really need that other thread reopened so that people can take the legal stuff in there though.

You're a Lakers fan, correct? Forgive me for taking your posts with a grain of salt then.

No, this is the proper place to have this discussion given the context of the current climate and the fact that even in an adversarial justice system, the defense went far and beyond what most people would deem as acceptable. Saying the accuser was mentally ill? Painting her as promiscuous and saying that was the reason she sustained her injuries?

There is a way to defend yourself while still having an appropriate amount of respect for your accuser, and Kobe Bryant did not meet those standards.

OP
OP
Jack Remington

Jack Remington

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're a Lakers fan, correct? Forgive me for taking your posts with a grain of salt then.

No, this is the proper place to have this discussion given the context of the current climate and the fact that even in an adversarial justice system, the defense went far and beyond what most people would deem as acceptable. Saying the accuser was mentally ill? Painting her as promiscuous and saying that was the reason she sustained her injuries?

There is a way to defend yourself while still having an appropriate amount of respect for your accuser, and Kobe Bryant did not meet those standards.

The defense should not bring up arguments that weaken the prosecution's case?

I pray you never have to rely on such a defense team. There's no such thing as "respect" in a criminal trial. The prosecution is trying to put someone behind bars. The defense is doing everything they can to prevent that.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I pray you never have to rely on such a defense team. There's no such thing as "respect" in a criminal trial. The prosecution is trying to put someone behind bars. The defense is doing everything they can to prevent that.

We want to encourage people who are assaulted to come forward. What she went through actively discourages that.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
We want to encourage people who are assaulted to come forward. What she went through actively discourages that.

Doesn't really address a defense team defending their client. I don't think there are too many people here clamoring for victims to shut up either. I could've missed some posts though.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Their job is to weaken the other side's case. Their job isn't to name her about 6-8 times knowing full well what the result of that will be. How can you defend that?

Feb 6, 2018
Funny how allegedly only means something for people we like
Ditto for those "we" don't.

I haven't been here long but it does seem strange to me that it's permissable to openly call someone a rapist when the justice system has determined they don't have a case to answer.

It also seems strange for people to compare a singular incident more than a decade ago to the Weinstein allegations which number in the dozens.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
For a place that thinks Tom Brady is the devil it's weird that Kobe has so many people defending him.

Good for him that he won but I understand why some would be upset that he did, especially at this time.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The evidence presented made it a pretty clear cut case. I believe women...but I also recognize white women have a long history of lying about rape in relation to having sex with black men. Which was the case here, based on the evidence.

He was banned for this?
What. History states this.

Racists have long used rape to defend their worst racist violence.
Amid his Wednesday night rampage at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina—killing nine people—21-year-old Dylann Storm Roof reportedly told churchgoers, "You rape our women, and you're taking over our country, and you have to go."
Of the assertions in that statement, it's the first that has a long, deadly history. In the late 19th century, rape was a frequent justification for racist violence.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ing_our_women_racists_have_long_defended.html
. In one instance, found Wells-Barnett, a black man in Indianola, Mississippi, was lynched for raping the local sheriff's 7-year-old daughter. When Wells-Barnett went to investigate, however, she found something very different:
Wells traveled to Indianola and met the alleged rape victim, who was no girl but a grown woman in her late teens. The "brute," Wells learned, had worked on the sheriff's farm for a number of years and was acquainted with every member of the family. The woman had been found in her lover's cabin by her father, who led a lynch mob in order to save his daughter's reputation.

10 Egregious Cases of White People Falsely Accusing Black People of Committing Crimes
http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/01...ly-accusing-black-people-committing-crimes/2/

A criminologist explains: 90% of black men falsely accused of rape are accused by white women

Dr. Chenelle Jones at Ohio Dominican University, in the context of this interview about the Central Park 5, says that there is a study (among others) which argues that a very large percentage of the black men who are falsely accused of rape in America are accused by white women. I didn't specifically ask Dr. Jones about rape, but it was a relevant topic, since the Central Park 5 consisted of five black and Latino teenagers who were falsely accused of raping a wealthy white woman.
http://www.brothersonsports.com/a-c...y-accused-of-rape-are-accused-by-white-women/

Corresponding Video:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jack Remington

Jack Remington

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Generally we also want to avoid false convictions in our criminal justice system. Having defense teams hold back and not pursue every line of argument available to them actively encourages that.

After seeing Ryutaro's Mama get banned simply for bringing up facts that were entered into evidence in an official criminal trial, I'll stop there. The defense had what they thought were facts that weakened the prosecution's case. It would be malpractice not to bring those up.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017

Generally we also want to avoid false convictions in our criminal justice system. Having defense teams hold back and not pursue every line of argument available to them actively encourages that.

After seeing Ryutaro's Mama get banned simply for bringing up facts that were entered into evidence in an official criminal trial, I'll stop there. The defense had what they thought were facts that weakened the prosecution's case. It would be malpractice not to bring those up.
Are you an attorney? You speak as though you have knowledge of criminal procedure, but the comments reek of ignorance.

An accuser's mental health and sexual past are extremely sensitive evidentiary issues and not simply considered fair game for defense counsel to employ at their whim.

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

Doesn't really address a defense team defending their client.

You're both right, and this is a tough conversation to have. The defense's job is to get the client off, no matter the cost. However, I am free to criticize those methods, especially when they involve calling the accuser mentally ill. Sorry.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

To be fair that stuff could have been very relevant to the case.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/04/us/papers-reveal-new-details-in-kobe-bryant-rape-case.html

If she had sex with someone else right after her encounter with Bryant, it makes it hard to get a read on the physical evidence in the case.

I hate the Lakers with a passion by the way.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really address a defense team defending their client. I don't think there are too many people here clamoring for victims to shut up either. I could've missed some posts though.

I think that trying to call a sexual assault victim a slut (which often happens), while also calling into question her character (by saying she's mentally ill so she made it up/misunderstood/whatever) is disgusting. The level of harassment that she faced from outside of the court system was also disgusting. I can guarantee you, at least speaking from my own personal experience, that the fear of going through all of that has discouraged people from coming forward.

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
To be fair that stuff could have been very relevant to the case.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/04/us/papers-reveal-new-details-in-kobe-bryant-rape-case.html

If she had sex with someone else right after her encounter with Bryant, it makes it hard to get a read on the physical evidence in the case.

The physical evidence was valid, but the way the defense used it to paint the accuser as a slut was not. Because that's what wound up happening.

Ketkat put into words what I was having a hard time expressing. It was the stereotypical defense down to a T. The accuser is promiscuous and mentally ill, so clearly she is lying.

OP
OP
Jack Remington

Jack Remington

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that trying to call a sexual assault victim a slut (which often happens), while also calling into question her character (by saying she's mentally ill so she made it up/misunderstood/whatever) is disgusting. The level of harassment that she faced from outside of the court system was also disgusting. I can guarantee you, at least speaking from my own personal experience, that the fear of going through all of that has discouraged people from coming forward.

I'll agree that the stuff she was subjected to outside the courtroom should not have happened.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The physical evidence was valid, but the way the defense used it to paint the accuser as a slut was not. Because that's what wound up happening.

I believe their claim was going and having sex with another man a few hours afterwards was not consistent with a typical rape victim. Which honestly they probably are well within their rights to bring up.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
You're both right, and this is a tough conversation to have. The defense's job is to get the client off, no matter the cost. However, I am free to criticize those methods, especially when they involve calling the accuser mentally ill. Sorry.

You are free and I think our posts illustrate that we're aware of that. We didn't tell you not to criticize... Just responded.

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
You are free and I think our posts illustrate that we're aware of that. We didn't tell you not to criticize... Just responded.

I apologize if I came off like a dick. That piece I linked just really struck a chord with me after I read it this morning, and I'm having a hard time expressing about why I'm so offended.

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
He was banned for this?

Well, he straight up called the accuser a liar. The evidence available to all of us at this time does not indicate that she was a liar. The statement released by Mr. Bryant also indicates that not even he believes that she is a liar. So yea, he was banned. Mr. Bryant released a statement that he had sex with a person who deeemed the encounter nonconsensual. Nothing about the about the bullshit we as a group have had to go through historically should change your understanding of that.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Ditto for those "we" don't.

I haven't been here long but it does seem strange to me that it's permissable to openly call someone a rapist when the justice system has determined they don't have a case to answer.

It also seems strange for people to compare a singular incident more than a decade ago to the Weinstein allegations which number in the dozens.
Because the Weinstein bar is ridiculously high?

OP
OP
Jack Remington

Jack Remington

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you an attorney? You speak as though you have knowledge of criminal procedure, but the comments reek of ignorance.

An accuser's mental health and sexual past are extremely sensitive evidentiary issues and not simply considered fair game for defense counsel to employ at their whim.

Not going to get into a credentials war when that has nothing to do with the topic. Whatever kind of unwritten norm exists regarding this, it seems to be violated fairly frequently.

If I were ever falsely accused of any crime, and it wouldn't have to be a sex crime, say I were falsely accused of attempting to murder someone, I'd want my defense attorney to bring up whatever they thought could increase my odds of acquittal. Everyone in this thread would too.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, he straight up called the accuser a liar. The evidence available to all of us at this time does not indicate that she was a liar. The statement released by Mr. Bryant also indicates that not even he believes that she is a liar. So yea, he was banned. Mr. Bryant released a statement that he had sex with a person who deeemed the encounter nonconsensual. Nothing about the about the bullshit we as a group have had to go through historically should change your understanding of that.
That message I quoted is the one he was banned for. That was his opinion based on the evidence.

Did he said she lied, if so, not in that message.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to get into a credentials war when that has nothing to do with the topic. Whatever kind of unwritten norm exists regarding this, it seems to be violated fairly frequently.

If I were ever falsely accused of any crime, and it wouldn't have to be a sex crime, say I were falsely accused of attempting to murder someone, I'd want my defense attorney to bring up whatever they thought could increase my odds of acquittal. Everyone in this thread would too.
My intention wasn't to start a "credentials war," whatever that is, but I will infer from that response that the answer is no, you aren't an attorney.

Further, I'm not speaking about "unwritten norms." I'm speaking of statutory law and case law. So you would also be wrong in suggesting that "it seems to be violated fairly frequently." This is why I urged caution when talking about the specificities of legal proceedings: you're talking out of your ass here and it shows to anyone with knowledge otherwise, but to anyone else they are likely to take your inaccuracies at face value.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Saw your post before the edit. You nailed it tbh. I get wanting to defend your heroes, but damn. I guess this is Resetera's version of GAF's "keep your politics out of my videogames".

Ultimately I deleted it because I thought it's not the thread for it, and I think to be fair I need to read up on this case a lot more before I decide to get involved in this discussion.

OP
OP
Jack Remington

Jack Remington

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My intention wasn't to start a "credentials war," whatever that is, but I will infer from that response that the answer is no, you aren't an attorney.

Further, I'm not speaking about "unwritten norms." I'm speaking of statutory law and case law. So you would also be wrong in suggesting that "it seems to be violated fairly frequently." This is why I urged caution when talking about the specificities of legal proceedings: you're talking out of your ass here and it shows to anyone with knowledge otherwise, but to anyone else they are likely to take your inaccuracies at face value.

The defense filed documents in court arguing for why those factors should have been admitted as evidence. The judge ruled that some of it would be admissible: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/04/us/papers-reveal-new-details-in-kobe-bryant-rape-case.html

I'm not talking out of anything.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Of course he was banned I was too last week for something more extreme. We got history to prove it but you know who is a protected class in this country and online.

He was probably banned for extrapolating from white people have falsely accused people to this specific person lied about being raped. Besides the fact that casting doubt on rape accusations hasn't been particularly permissible here that's also simply not very good critical thinking.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
giphy.gif