• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Credit to ChaosSlayer

View: https://twitter.com/6d6f636869/status/1569902792315400198

Until today I thought Wolong was supposed to be this game that they have mentioned a few years ago as a title expected to exceed 5 million units, but the newly announced Rise of the Ronin seems to have been that.
The Nioh series as a whole had sold 6 million units with Nioh 2 selling 2.5 million units as of February. I can see an Open World Nioh doing very well.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
yeah that was the coolest shit at the show minus God of War, very excited. I hope it's not difficult like Nioh, I just wanna be a bad ass without the annoyance of dying a lot lmao

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Already mentioned it in the PS thread, it'll better for this game if it released in a empty quarter or something.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Maybe it's getting a simultaneous pc release along with strong first party marketing support.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Seems doable if the game gets a good critical reception and word of mouth.

Being open-world will likely give it a boost compared to Nioh, which sold 3M in around 3 years.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I can see this selling 5m units tbh. What's been shown looks pretty good and the game seems a step up from Ghost of Tsushima gameplay wise. Seems like a lot more things to do.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Damn, that's a lofty expectation to throw out there. I hope the game is great and that they succeed, it already looks really impressive.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Did Sekiro reach 5 million? Cause this sounds like a big ask and will depend on what it's competing with in the release window. 2024 will probably have plenty of current gen only open worlds including AC Red.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Either this one or the new MH-like game in development at Omega Force with EA have a shot at reaching 5 million units if they are good enough.

Open world can boost sales a lot.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It going open world will help a lot, people love that stuff. If Ghosts of Tshushima can push 10, this should be able to do 5 assuming it is of reasonable quality. Especially if Sony treats it like a first party title and markets it everywhere.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It looks incredible. I don't think they'll have a problem hitting those numbers.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
Koei Tecmo's CEO said late last year that they would be showcasing the full power of the company with the games they'd be talking about this year. Seems like that's been coming to fruition with all their announcements lately.

Oct 25, 2017
So in 2024 they expect a PS console-exclusive game to sell 5 million copies.

Right after promoting the competitor's platform in 2023 with Wo Long on Game Pass, reducing the number of people available to buy the game.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
So in 2024 they expect a PS console-exclusive game to sell 5 million copies.

Right after promoting the competitor's platform in 2023 with Wo Long on Game Pass, reducing the number of people available to buy the game.

Promoting the competitors platform? Tecmo Koei is not a Sony dev lol

If MS offered them e a good deal for WOLONG why would they refuse?

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Looks good but i have to see more before i open my wallet. If its a part time job type game then nah.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I hope is not loot heavy like Nioh. I loved Nioh but the amount of ranked & randomized loot.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Holy moly, that's ambitious. I feel like the game will be good enough for those sales, but it's going to need some good marketing to achieve it. Maybe that's part of the reason they announced it so early.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Makes me wonder what their expectations are for Wo Long then. Perhaps a bit harder for them to gauge?

WL:FD has benefit of being a multiplat, but it's also fantastical Three Kingdoms period China and a Souls-esque. Arguably a harder sell than open-world Feudal Samurai Japan (a setting which is so hawt rn)

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not criticizing the GP deal, but the decision to make their "important strategic pillar" exclusive to Playstation following that GP deal.

This decision was made a long time ago.

It was seven years ago when we first began this project. And since then, the development has progressed slowly and freely, much like the spirit of a Ronin. It is with great pleasure to finally bring this title to light, and we are filled with gratitude on being able to make this announcement with PlayStation who have supported us and this project throughout these many years.
blog.playstation.com

Revealing Rise of the Ronin, a new action-RPG from Team Ninja

First details on the upcoming action game set at the brink of a new era for Japan.

We already knew they had something going on with Sony because they said they wanted to create a new IP for PS5 a while ago.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Holy moly, that's ambitious. I feel like the game will be good enough for those sales, but it's going to need some good marketing to achieve it. Maybe that's part of the reason they announced it so early.

I imagine it is one of the reasons why they partnered with playstation on it. As I mentioned earlier, Sony can treat it like one of their own and throw their weight behind it, especially if Sony is a little light on first party exclusives next year (that is just speculation mind you). An open world samurai game with sonys marketing pull behind it? That alone will sell millions.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it looked cool but did it look 5m cool? idk what did tsushima sell

/edit 9.53 mil? Okay, i guess that's within the realm of possibility then. Dunno if it doesn't get a major platform push though. But with Sony backing, could be sweet

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they get there, I'm stupidly excited for it. A Bakumatsu era action-RPG where I basically get to be Himura Kenshin? And with Team Ninja's glorious combat?

Let's go.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Makes me wonder what their expectations are for Wo Long then. Perhaps a bit harder for them to gauge?

WL:FD has benefit of being a multiplat, but it's also fantastical Three Kingdoms period China and a Souls-esque. Arguably a harder sell than open-world Feudal Samurai Japan (a setting which is so hawt rn)

WoLong is still a hardcore title, level based and the setting is not that popular or appealing to the western audiences.

Rise of Ronin is going to be way more accessible and it's open world.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The setting actually looks interesting enough that I can see myself enjoying the exploration (which a depressingly tiny number of open world games manage to do). I just hope there are more fleshed out castles and towns to explore as opposed to the open world just being 90% Japanese wilderness. That's the reason I have yet to play GoT.

Likely setting myself up for disappointment but it is also my hope that there are meaningful simulation systems in place for the factions/enemies to do justice to the open world concept. I don't think I can stomach of these faux open world games.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It looks great but the 5m dream will live and die by the metascore, unless they're prepared for a long sales tail.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
The Nioh games have surpassed 6 million, and people are now more aware of Team Ninja in the mainstream, one would assume.

With Wo Long coming out before it, and proper marketing from Sony, I think it's achievable.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
There is a lot of things that can impact that goal but current strategy of releasing game on PlayStation and later on PC could impact it a lot. KT needs to drop it and do day and date release.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf, 5 million is totally possible for this kind of mass appeal open world action RPG.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I'm all over this as Nioh 2 is one of the greatest action-RPGs ever, but maaaaan are they going to be disappointed if those are their expectations.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
It's a strong ask, but I hope they manage it. I hope even more that they have a simultaneous PC release, if they're looking for maximum sales.

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
Yeah they mentioned that this Team Ninjas most ambitious game ever. Looks like they have high expectations for it. It looks like Sony is heavily involved with this game. I hope they can archive 5m+ with their help, game looks rad.