• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
Koei Tecmo's CEO said late last year that they would be showcasing the full power of the company with the games they'd be talking about this year. Seems like that's been coming to fruition with all their announcements lately.
I just wish it was a new DOA or Ninja Gaiden coming out during this period....

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
This is an open world action RPG set in a historically accurate Japan, releasing in 2024?

Assassin's Creed Red also seems to be an open world action RPG set in a historically accurate Japan, releasing in 2024.

And when is Ghost of Tsushima 2 likely to release? 2024?

Best of luck to them! The game looks fantastic and I'm definitely interested if they release on PC. But competition might be pretty damn fierce.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Should be able to hit that easy. Open world samurai game from Team Ninja is very exciting.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
This is an open world action RPG set in a historically accurate Japan, releasing in 2024?

Assassin's Creed Red also seems to be an open world action RPG set in a historically accurate Japan, releasing in 2024.

And when is Ghost of Tsushima 2 likely to release? 2024?

Best of luck to them! The game looks fantastic and I'm definitely interested if they release on PC. But competition might be pretty damn fierce.

This is a PlayStation console exclusive, they aren't releasing this and Ghosts close to each other regardless.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Looks great based on what they showed so as long as it lives up to that I see no reason that they couldn't hit that.

What I don't get is it seems like Tsushima seemingly woke people up to the idea that the West like samurai. I'm just baffled that this seemingly wasn't known to many developers.

For as much as Team Ninja has been firing on all cylinders since Nioh 1 I have a hard time believing they ever get DOA back on track. Ninja Gaiden on the other hand… I really want to see what a 2022 Team Ninja character action game would look like. I bet they could make a killer Ninja Gaiden reboot right now.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
5M sold is pretty much the baseline for AAA releases to break even these days. This has everything going for it.

-PlayStation backing
-Also releasing on PC
-Open world
-Action RPG
-Create a character
-From their last games, there's gonna be a wide variety of weapons and skills

If there's online coop like Nioh, then it's secured.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
Yeah, I would love to see a new Ninja Gaiden in particular. Would be crazy to see what they could do nearly a decade later from the last entry with a whole generational gap to bolster it. Ryu's moveset in Razor's Edge was so awesome and some of the mechanics it had were legitimately good additions, so I'd love to see this new Team Ninja push it even farther in a game that's built with more confidence and care.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
For as much as Team Ninja has been firing on all cylinders since Nioh 1 I have a hard time believing they ever get DOA back on track. Ninja Gaiden on the other hand… I really want to see what a 2022 Team Ninja character action game would look like. I bet they could make a killer Ninja Gaiden reboot right now.
I think the main problem was DOA6's support was cut too early. I hope they actually try again and actually give the series a direction. A western partner like EA might be able to assist with that since they seem open to teaming up with other companies.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Put team ninja + action rpg on the box and you'll always get a sale from me.
Can't wait to see how they put the PS5 to use

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
It looks great. I don't want it to be a Soulslike game, though. I'm bad at those. I want a modest enough difficulty to where I can feel that I can complete the game at a comfortable enough pace.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I'm very excited for this, but that goal seems a bit out of place to me. Being exclusive certainly won't help.

onesvenus

May 27, 2018
I guess technically that would be true because it'd be on more platforms. But Sony backed exclusives can sell a ton on their own. So this figure really isn't a big deal.
It can but there's no guarantee. Deathloop had a big marketing push and I don't think it'll reach 5M even with the Xbox port when that happens.

It looks like Sony is heavily involved with this game
How?

At the expense of a 1st party marketing push. Ghost of Tsushima sold over 8m copies and it's not even on PC yet.
Deathloop had a big push of 1st party marketing and it didn't get anywhere close to that number. There's no guarantee that would offset the loss of sold copies on Xbox

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
It can but there's no guarantee. Deathloop had a big marketing push and I don't think it'll reach 5M even with the Xbox port when that happens.

How?

Deathloop had a big push of 1st party marketing and it didn't get anywhere close to that number. There's no guarantee that would offset the loss of sold copies on Xbox
Don't know why you keeping bringing up Deathloop. Arkane games while good were never megasellers to begin with. Deathloop was always a tough sell.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

It was seven years ago when we first began this project. And since then, the development has progressed slowly and freely, much like the spirit of a Ronin. It is with great pleasure to finally bring this title to light, and we are filled with gratitude on being able to make this announcement with PlayStation who have supported us and this project throughout these many years.
blog.playstation.com

Revealing Rise of the Ronin, a new action-RPG from Team Ninja

First details on the upcoming action game set at the brink of a new era for Japan.

Right

Nov 24, 2017

How?

Deathloop is different though, the main audience of the game is definitively not associated with PS brand.

onesvenus

May 27, 2018
Don't know why you keeping bringing up Deathloop. Arkane games while good were never megasellers to begin with. Deathloop was always a tough sell.
Because people were talking like being a PS exclusive made that 5M sales target an easy thing to reach? It was a counterpoint to that. Not every PS exclusive does those kind of numbers at all.

Two other games from Team Ninja, Nioh and Nioh 2, weren't anything close to 5M so I wouldn't say those are megasellers either.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
If this will be as good as it looked in that trailer then they have my purchase.

I can see it reaching that goal if marketed well (and if it reviews 90+).

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Did Sekiro reach 5 million? Cause this sounds like a big ask and will depend on what it's competing with in the release window. 2024 will probably have plenty of current gen only open worlds including AC Red.

Sekiro had a razor sharp focus. With reused bosses and shorter length than the Souls games I think the budget on that one would have been well under control. This looks like it could be a more ambitious, and risky, undertaking.

It could be good but I'll wait to see more. Not really big on open worlds usually but Team Ninja have been doing great things these past few years so definitely intrigued.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Being supportive does not equal having a big involvement to me but fair enough

Well, they are publishing the game and put the SIE Presents card in the trailer. So their involvement may be more than just international publishing like the Nioh games. I don't recall seeing SIE Presents for those games. It has me wondering about IP ownership.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
Looks great but i can't shake the feeling right now off "we already got this recently".

Ghost 2 will come as well, let's see how they exists next to each other.

Looking forward to it.

MonadoX

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2022
Love the look of the game. I'm definitely buying it, but no way that it'll sell 5 million.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

How?

Deathloop and this game couldn't be more different. Really weird comparison.

Oct 27, 2017
this was the only other thing good in the whole state of play lol besides gow... which im not getting the ps4 version so im not even gonna play it until its on pc verison in 2 years.. -_-... but why show it when its 2024 i was disappointed when i seen that... im really tired of game announcements 523452345 years in advance...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
5 million units, huh? How did the Nioh games sell? This one is releasing only on PS5 (and PC I assume), so it's definitely a very ambitious goal, but maybe by 2024 the PS5 stock situation will be much much better. 60 million install base? Maybe?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
5 million units, huh? How did the Nioh games sell? This one is releasing only on PS5 (and PC I assume), so it's definitely a very ambitious goal, but maybe by 2024 the PS5 stock situation will be much much better. 60 million install base? Maybe?

Nioh 1 did 3M after ~3 years, and Nioh 2 2.5M after ~2 years.