Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I think the broad distinction that people are missing is that there's a difference between saying "French is dying" (which is hard to take at face value given that France and other large french speaking nations exist), and "Canadian/Quebecois French is dying" (which is a easier argument to make).

People just need to know there is a distinct difference between "French" and "Canadian French". Like, to the point where people from France have a "hell" of a time understand Quebecois.

It also misses the point that even if Quebec French is dying, that still does not make it okay to suppress/erase the language of the native population or other minorities within the province. It's actually extremely hypocritical to whine that French is dying when Quebec has been trying to culturally eradicate the language and culture of minorities for quite a while now. That's not even touching the new restrictions on religious symbols that no one really cares about when it comes to crosses but headscarves? Must be eradicated!

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
If this was happening in America, everyone would rightfully call out the bigotry and racism involved here. Quebec should get zero pass. Every time I read a story about this place it sounds like literal hell on earth.

The thing is, the analogous situation in America would be if a state passed a law to enshrine something "other" than English as their primary language. French is a minority language in Canada for all intents and purposes.

It also misses the point that even if Quebec French is dying, that still does not make it okay to suppress/erase the language of the native population or other minorities within the province. It's actually extremely hypocritical to whine that French is dying when Quebec has been trying to culturally eradicate the language and culture of minorities for quite a while now. That's not even touching the new restrictions on religious symbols that no one really cares about when it comes to crosses but headscarves? Must be eradicated!

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the way they're solving this problem (and figure part of it is an excuse to be racist but legally), but for the people who wonder why Quebec would even want to do such a thing in the first place, they need to know French and Quebec/Canadian French might as well be 2 different languages at this point.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
If this was happening in America, everyone would rightfully call out the bigotry and racism involved here. Quebec should get zero pass. Every time I read a story about this place it sounds like literal hell on earth.

Quebec City has it's load of racist radio brainwashed morons but you need to read more stories.

So dead 93% of the province can speak it

54f52d873b6d6.image.jpg

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I recently moved to Canada, and Montreal definitely would have been an option (have family there), but we ended up in St John, NB, partially because of the language barrier concerns. Upsetting to hear about the harassment, but it's strange they weren't aware of the law, especially since they moved from NB. Glad to hear they got assistance and are reopening.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
It's kind of wild how if a law of this nature was passed in America, people would (rightfully) be pointing out that it's a law written to discriminate against and persecute minorities, as they are people who often do not have access to the wealth and/or educational materials needed to assist them with learning the language.

Also known as: We speak AMERICAN in this country, not Mexican!!!

Since this is about Quebec, though, you have Francophone quebecois crying victim while not acknowledging the fact that these languages are targeted at underprivileged individuals (see: the fact that it immediately calls out immigrants).

The core difference is that Quebec enlisted the first of these laws in the 70s due to how disproportionally more privileged the English Canadians were against the French Canadians, and to balance the playing field. Nowadays, the population of English-speaking Quebecois of European descent from my understanding has decreased, especially in places like Montreal but they're still there fighting for their rights.

The issue now is that immigrants fall under the microscope of these laws, and doubly so with the 2 new bills, Quebec's govt has passed to make shit worse for them. It really is an Uno card sort of situation which limits immigrants' success to the point of wanting to limit immigration as a whole. When I say white supremacy is being handwaved, it definitely is a key concern that'll hit people like a truck every few years in Quebec and even harder for those who are outside of Quebec being confused at how this shit is okay.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, speaking as someone who actually lived in Quebec:

French is absolutely, 100% in danger of dying out in Quebec. Things were really trending that way until the modern language laws were put into place.

On one hand, it's totally rational. A lot of rural Quebec, and large parts of urban Quebec, are populated by people who don't speak English at all, and there was this looming threat of not being able to survive in their own province. If within a generation the entire world around you stopped speaking your language, how would you feel about that? The French language laws completely reversed that, and ensured they wouldn't end up strangers in their own home.

THAT SAID

It's also rooted in insane xenophobia. One of the biggest reasons these laws exist is to make sure no one dares to immigrate there. Hell, Quebec did an internal report to determine that it was borderline impossible to learn French in six months, just to put in a law that kicks out refugees if they don't learn French in six months. So much of the government bureaucracy there is designed to benefit people who were born there and keep out everyone who wasn't.

So, yes. The rationale behind the laws are legitimate. But their design and implementation is just toxic and destructive nationalism. Let's not forget that this is the same province that, while we lived there, ruled that Muslim women weren't allowed to teach in public schools, and bus drivers were allowed to stop them from boarding buses. And the police arrested a black woman for laughing too loudly on a downtown sidewalk in the middle of the afternoon. And every weekend there's a giant protest in downtown Montreal, and always for the opposite thing that you'd think.

And yet, yes, French was/is in danger.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
Seems like the story has a good ending, although not many seem to have read the whole article

"I made my mistake to make a menu in bilingual, it was my fault. But lots of supporters and Quebecois want me to reopen and they are really lovely people," said Joe. "I love Quebec City."

His "mistake" isn't a excuse for all the threatening morons though.

I hope he succeeds!

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
These threads are always entertaining. People having such strong opinions about a situation they understand very little about.

The way to "save" french is to further push bilingualism/multilingualism across the country, not actively create areas hostile to any other language but the "primary" one.

LOL, as if it's gonna happen.

And "french" is not under threat. You could argue Quebecois as a dialect of french is, same that the various Acadian dialects are in pretty rough shape (more so the Nova Scotia based ones, we're dwindling in numbers), but french as a general language is alive and well so long as french speaking nations exist on this earth.

I'm sure French speakers not being able to be served in French in Montreal will be a-okay with it as long as French is thriving in Senegal.

I just remembered the story of the Italian restaurant that got fined for using "pasta" and I wonder if they have to translate all their Korean food items into French. lol

Happened 10 years. Was an administrative fuck-up and pretty much derided by everyone. Time to move on.
Also in this case, the Korean food items were translated in English on the menu. Anyway, seems like everything has been worked out for everyone, so good. I wish them the best.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
I for one am super surprised to hear about Quebec being intolerant of something that is not french

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Every single thread about Quebec on this site is exhausting. There's a reason none of us wanted a Quebec election OT.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone moving to Montreal from Toronto in January this article has me spooked and doubting myself.
Don't be. Montreal works well when you speak english, and learning a new language if you don't speak french right now, and you want to learn, is always a good thing. There are defintively imbeciles and racists, but don't let the potential of assholes drive you away.

Edit :
Every single thread about Quebec on this site is exhausting. There's a reason none of us wanted a Quebec election OT.
Yeah, some of the takes in this thread are honestly tiring.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully he can move to a different part of Canada if he knows abit of english in the future so he doesn't have to deal with assholes like that anymore.

The article is light on actual details, would be curious to know why he made the move there and how hastily he made it.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Don't be. Montreal works well when you speak english, and learning a new language if you don't speak french right now, and you want to learn, is always a good thing. There are defintively imbeciles and racists, but don't let the potential of assholes drive you away.

Edit :

Yeah, some of the takes in this thread are honestly tiring.

I have been learning or rather re-learning French. Have been now for 2 months. My reading and comprehension have greatly improved. But my conversational or even written isn't that great.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I have been learning or rather re-learning French. Have been now for 2 months. My reading and comprehension have greatly improved. But my conversational or even written isn't that great.

You'll be just fine speaking primarily English in Montreal while you learn French. As long as you make an effort to speak French when and where you can most people will cut you slack and do their best to communicate with you however they can. When it works it's one of the best features of Montreal, as is having a good friend that talks to you in French while you talk to them in English and you understand each other perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Quebec is also one of the very few (if not the only place) where a very small French nation is completely surrounded by like 95% of another language (English). There's very few other places where a language is so heavily threatened. Statistics clearly demonstrate that the % of French speaking population in Quebec is slowly eroding over time, especially in Montreal. It's losing ground to English. The prevalence of stores and businesses where getting served in French is impossible is growing. If nothing is done to try and preserve French, it is eventually going to disappear. What else should the government do? Let French die? English has become so prevalent through years of doing nothing about it that newcomers don't feel the need to learn French at all, because they can get around and work and do business by using only English just fine. The president of Air Canada even boasted about being able to live in Montreal for years without having to learn French, because he didn't feel he needed to. We're not closed to other languages, and people absolutely can include other languages in their businesses or on their menus and whatnot provided that French is also there.

People don't move to Japan and not learn Japanese. People don't move to Germany and not learn German. If people move to Quebec, they should learn French. Otherwise it's just disrespectful. It's the official language.

I'm not at all condoning the harassement, by the way. It should be left to the government to handle this.

If a language is going to naturally die out then it's going to die out. The question back to the Francophiles then is what makes them so deserving of government protection that they need to favor their language to the exclusion of the natural momentum of the population?

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You'll be fine, don't worry. Like Thanatos said, as long as people feel like you are making an effort, even french-only speakers will make sure that you feel confortable and included in the convos. There's always assholes, true, but that's really impossible to not find some in some form, whether you are in Quebec, Alberta or Toronto.

Edit :
If a language is going to naturally die out then it's going to die out. The question back to the Francophiles then is what makes them so deserving of government protection that they need to favor their language to the exclusion of the natural momentum of the population?
I mean, that could be applied to pretty much any situation where a language dies out, from first nations dialect, to local dialect over the world, like those from France i linked earlier in the thread. I don't think you'll receive much warm responses asking to any type of minority group why they deserve to have a part of their culture (and a language and its quirks are def part of a culture) preserved.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I mean if that's what the people living there vote for, who are you to say that their government can't provide that protection exactly?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

ITT: Majority English-speakers who have never had their language/culture being threatened advocating in favor of cultural assimilation. Gotcha.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I mean, that could be applied to pretty much any situation where a language dies out, from first nations dialect, to local dialect over the world.

Yeah, and I'd say the same thing about those as well. Language is not some sacred thing, it's a tool for communication. To the extent that it overlaps with cultural identity then I'm all for preserving it but if it's going to naturally die out then so be it. Linguistic prescriptivism is a bad thing, in my opinion, and completely misses the point of language as a living thing.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
You are mandated by law to operate in french in the province of Québec. It's not a dual language province (Only NB is actually), it's a french one. If you can't operate in french, then you are breaking the law, that's it. Telling people to "just not go there" is pointless as the business shouldn't be operating in the first place. You can have dual language menus and all, but :
1- French has to be the first language
2 - French has to be in a bigger font, more visible than the other language one.

Also the owner beeing unable to find french speaking personnel in a city were less than 1/20th of the population speaks english only but had no issues finding english only personnel is prety suspicious.

With that said, harrassement and racist remarks/insults have no place, let local law enforcement handle it.

Have you considered that on top of being in the midst of a global service worker shortage, that being Korean and relatively new to the French language would turn off a worker pool that is openly hostile to accommodating FSL-learners?

Feels like a catch 22 where even if you were trying to aggressively assimilate, the harrasment and/or unwillingness to extend an olive branch from the French-speaking community would make it difficult to keep your business open while you study.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
ITT: Majority English-speakers who have never had their language/culture being threatened advocating in favor of cultural assimilation. Gotcha.

Come on now, one could easily argue that the language and culture that needs protection the most in Quebec (and in Canada in general) is First Nations, and people wouldn't be wrong about that. While some in this thread have less of an understanding of how Quebec functions I don't think they are wrong that Quebec's current way of going about protecting the French language will ultimately be ineffective, because I think it's kind of inevitable for languages to dilute as multiculturalism increases. It's why, as someone that has lived in Quebec for nearly 40 years, I advocate for less conflicted methods that don't step on the feet of minorities and more positive promotion of the French language.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
More like ITT: Quebec Francophones deciding that racist and bigoted policy is good because it preserves their own sense of community at the expense of alienating and allowing minorities to be legally harassed.

It is fine and good to have a desire for your culture to be preserved; It is bad and inhumane to desire that at the expense of people who are discriminated against worldwide.
The core difference is that Quebec enlisted the first of these laws in the 70s due to how disproportionally more privileged the English Canadians were against the French Canadians, and to balance the playing field. Nowadays, the population of English-speaking Quebecois of European descent from my understanding has decreased, especially in places like Montreal but they're still there fighting for their rights.

The issue now is that immigrants fall under the microscope of these laws, and doubly so with the 2 new bills, Quebec's govt has passed to make shit worse for them. It really is an Uno card sort of situation which limits immigrants' success to the point of wanting to limit immigration as a whole. When I say white supremacy is being handwaved, it definitely is a key concern that'll hit people like a truck every few years in Quebec and even harder for those who are outside of Quebec being confused at how this shit is okay.
Essentially, this. Francophone Quebecois are no longer a minority within their own province and it primarily serves to enforce White Supremacy these days.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I mean, that could be applied to pretty much any situation where a language dies out, from first nations dialect, to local dialect over the world, like those from France i linked earlier in the thread. I don't think you'll receive much warm responses asking to any type of minority group why they deserve to have a part of their culture (and a language and its quirks are def part of a culture) preserved.

There's a big difference between wanting to preserve your own culture and wanting to enforce it on the rest of the population.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

Rich to talk about that with the discrimination in law Quebec has against Muslims and Sikh's who are in no way endangering language or culture by just wearing a hijab or turban.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and I'd say the same thing about those as well. Langue is not some sacred thing, it's a tool for communication. To the extent that it overlaps with cultural identity then I'm all for preserving it but if it's going to naturally die out then so be it. Linguistic prescriptivism is a bad thing, in my opinion, and completely misses the point of language as a living thing.
Don't really agree. Personally, i see the fact that language is one of our main tool for communication are a reason why it needs to be preserved. The way we shape our thoughts and communicate them to others, and they way they are perceived are cornerstones to how a culture is passed from groups to group. Language evolve, and die out, true, but it's not a might make right situation, and the losses are maybe subtle, (a work of art is interpreted differently since the words take a different meaning, a community is assimilated and gradually loses their camaraderie), but they exists.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Rich to talk about that with the discrimination in law Quebec has against Muslims and Sikh's who are in no way endangering language or culture by just wearing a hijab or turban.
No, no. It's fine because uh...

Reads the smudges on my hand

It's better for a minority population to assimilate than preserve their own sense of community and culture. Because it's more convenient for me.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Okay, speaking as someone who actually lived in Quebec:

French is absolutely, 100% in danger of dying out in Quebec. Things were really trending that way until the modern language laws were put into place.

On one hand, it's totally rational. A lot of rural Quebec, and large parts of urban Quebec, are populated by people who don't speak English at all, and there was this looming threat of not being able to survive in their own province. If within a generation the entire world around you stopped speaking your language, how would you feel about that? The French language laws completely reversed that, and ensured they wouldn't end up strangers in their own home.

THAT SAID

It's also rooted in insane xenophobia. One of the biggest reasons these laws exist is to make sure no one dares to immigrate there. Hell, Quebec did an internal report to determine that it was borderline impossible to learn French in six months, just to put in a law that kicks out refugees if they don't learn French in six months. So much of the government bureaucracy there is designed to benefit people who were born there and keep out everyone who wasn't.

So, yes. The rationale behind the laws are legitimate. But their design and implementation is just toxic and destructive nationalism. Let's not forget that this is the same province that, while we lived there, ruled that Muslim women weren't allowed to teach in public schools, and bus drivers were allowed to stop them from boarding buses. And the police arrested a black woman for laughing too loudly on a downtown sidewalk in the middle of the afternoon. And every weekend there's a giant protest in downtown Montreal, and always for the opposite thing that you'd think.

And yet, yes, French was/is in danger.

This needs to be repeated in practically every Quebec-related thread.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you think AtomicShroom said that he was happy with those laws, there's really not much hypocrisy in his argument. The idea that he is against cultural assimilation and the fact that he has to live with some of the shit laws passed are not exclusive.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Can you name a language that did not originate in media that does not overlap with a people's cultural identity?

Don't get me wrong, you are absolutely correct. My only point is that language and the cultural identity that it has a symbiotic relationship with is not some fixed-in-time thing, and any attempts to force it to be are going to be at best be doomed to failure, and at worst will actively favor one cultural group at the expense of another.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Can you name a language that did not originate in media that does not overlap with a people's cultural identity?

Language of colonialism wants to protect their colonist language while filtering out the other colonialist language of the area all while no one really cares about the actual original language of the area or cares at all about protecting the culture around it or the people that use it.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Language of colonialism wants to protect their colonist language while filtering out the other colonialist language of the area all while no one really cares about the actual original language of the area or cares at all about protecting the culture around it.
Was about to post this. Granting primacy to one colonist culture 'in defense against others' has never felt much like justice to me.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
Pat of SuperBestFriends fame ended up moving to British Columbia over the summer because of all the bullshit in Quebec about harassment if you aren't fluent in French.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Frankly most comparisons to what if your country stopped speaking language X are a bit disingenuous, since Quebec is still part of Canada, at least until they hold a referendum again or whatever, so it is really more like what if your bilingual country stopped speaking one of the languages very slowly, while that language is literally one of the top 5 most spoken languages in the world because the French did colonialism real """good""", and the other language that your country is now primarily speaking is the most spoken language in the world because the English/British also did colonialism real """good""", both of them in the place that you are now living no less.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly most comparisons to what if your country stopped speaking language X are a bit disingenuous, since Quebec is still part of Canada, at least until they hold a referendum again or whatever, so it is really more like what if your bilingual country stopped speaking one of the languages very slowly, while that language is literally one of the top 5 most spoken languages in the world because the French did colonialism real """good""", and the other language that your country is now primarily speaking is the most spoken language in the world because the English/British also did colonialism real """good""", both of them in the place that you are now living no less.
Considering the quebec french dialect have some noticeable differences from France french, and that losing it would mean the end of that specific version, that seems like a over-simplification. (For an idea, a lot of ppl from France that visits quebec have difficulties understanding it due to the accent, the words difference, expressions, syntax, turn of phrase, etc.)

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, you are absolutely correct. My only point is that language and the cultural identity that it has a symbiotic relationship with is not some fixed-in-time thing, and any attempts to force it to be are going to be at best be doomed to failure, and at worst will actively favor one cultural group at the expense of another.
A lot of times a language's relationship with its culture changes because of the barbarity of forced assimilation and colonialism. If you're punishing people for speaking a certain language, no shit their language might eventually become endangered over time. Going "oh well, let it die" to this particular reality is something I vehemently disagree with.

This doesn't mean, however, that I'm okay with the harassment suffered by folks who don't speak Quebecoise French, and I'm not knowledgeable enough about the power dynamics of those who speak that to rule on the issue beyond that. But you said you'd say the same argument to even First Nations people, and frankly I wouldn't have the actual fucking audacity to go "fuck your language" to any indigenous group.