Vapor

Oct 28, 2017
There's no excuse for it really. There are tons of Black speculative fiction writers out there. Maybe not in gaming, but from other areas. They should've reached out to authors and script writers.

There are enough Black video game writers that they could have hired ONE if they had bothered to attempt it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, I had an iffy feeling about the game right from the start because it's an Isekai. The first big JRPG starring a black main character and you're going to pull her from the real world? It's like they can't imagine, or don't want to do the work of imagining, a fantasy setting that features native black characters. I held my tongue because I didn't want to be overly critical. I was hoping for the best but these comments definitely put a damper on that hope.

While representation is nice, what's ultimately important is the power, access, and resources to tell our own stories. I'm down bad for more games with black/African(-inspired) settings and characters but I'm down infintely worse for stories told and worlds made by black creatives.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I'll be honest, I had an iffy feeling about the game right from the start because it's an Isekai. The first big JRPG starring a black main character and you're going to pull her from the real world? It's like they can't imagine, or don't want to do the work of imagining, a fantasy setting that features native black characters.
The last trailer shows multiple Black characters who are native to the fantasy world. Both an adult council member/leader who's giving the MC typical protagonist advice ("bring hope to the people" or something like that), and a little Black girl the MC hugs and comforts.

Oct 27, 2017
The last trailer shows multiple Black characters who are native to the fantasy world. Both an adult council member/leader who's giving the MC typical protagonist advice ("bring hope to the people" or something like that), and a little Black girl the MC hugs and comforts.

Yeah, I know. By the looks of that last trailer, I think Debra Wilson's going to be in it (which would be awesome). In fact, the setting looks pretty cool. I was just relaying my initial reaction to the fact that it's an isekai. It bummed me out a little.