modiz

Oct 8, 2018
kotaku.com

The GTA Remastered Trilogy Appears To Be Real, And Coming To Switch

Rockstar is also bringing the games to PS5 and Xbox consoles, naturally

According to these sources, Rockstar is actively developing remastered versions of Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. All three of these games are being remastered using Unreal Engine and will be a mix of "new and old graphics." One source who claims to have seen a snippet of the games in action said that the visuals reminded them of a heavily-modded version of a classic GTA title. The UI for the games are being updated too, but will retain the same classic style. No details were shared about gameplay, but Kotaku has been told these remakes are trying to stay true to the PS2-era GTA games as much as possible.

Sources confirmed that Rockstar Dundee, a Scottish outpost and one of the newest studios at the company, is leading the charge on developing the remakes. Another source explained that the studio is heavily involved in not just the remasters, but is even helping Rockstar on developing the next-gen GTA V ports that are due out later this year. This lines up with information I had heard last year, after the studio was purchased by Rockstar Games. Before becoming Rockstar Dundee, the studio was Ruffian games and had previously worked on Crackdown 2, Crackdown 3 and assisted with development on the Master Chief Collection.

Currently aiming for late October/Early November
Plans around these remastered GTA titles have shifted quite a bit over the last year as a result of the ongoing covid-19 pandemic, and they might continue to do so until things are officially announced. Originally, it seemed that these remakes were going to be packaged together and given to players who purchased the upcoming next-gen ports of GTA V and GTA Online as a sort of bonus or "thank you gift" from Rockstar. Then plans changed, and the remastered trilogy was scheduled to be released earlier this year. However, plans have changed again, and now the remastered titles are planned to launch around late October or early November for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch, PC, Stadia, and mobile phones.

PC and Mobile might release in 2022 (didnt have enough space to mention that in the title):
It appears the PC and mobile ports might slip to next year as Rockstar focuses on developing the console ports first.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Cant wait to see how it will be like - the final product.

Wonder if the content that got cut recently (music from radio stations) will be back for VC and SA

Edit: Holy smokes, if the rumor is true, finally GTA VC, SA and III will be on a Nintendo platform (and not just a spinoff lol).

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Will we finally get a version of these games that runs at arbitrary framerates without glitches!? That's all I care about tbh.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
If they exist I don't really care what they look like, I just want them to play properly without any bugs at framerates above 30. Same goes for a much-desired Bully re-release.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Hopefully they get all the music back. Fuck even the Saints Row 3 remaster got all the music back.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Super curious to see what they look and control like. Sounds like they'll still be using old assets where they can but in a modern engine with possibly more modern lighting.

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Please do not bring over Rockstar's shitty Euphoria physics engine that makes the characters moves like molasses. That will totally ruin the feeling of those 3 games and is largely the reason why GTA stopped being fun after San Andreas.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Wait so are these remasters or remakes? Because this article uses them interchangeably and also says that these new editions are gonna use Unreal...

Also not gonna lie, I hate the description that they look like a heavily modded version of the originals. I know the originals look dated but they're still fine with minor improvements and most mods fuck up the art style...

Either way, I hope that these will be free upgrades on Steam since I already own the original releases on there.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see them bring the control mappings more in line with GTA V and of course bring back the radio stations in their entirety.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Using Unreal instead of their own in-house stuff seems... odd. That alone makes me doubt this.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
7lKCZwA.jpg

Red Dead Redemption remaster is planned for the future as well
OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
A remaster of Red Dead Redemption is also in development planned per the article, although its future is still uncertain:
For fans who are more interested in other classic Rockstar games getting remastered and rereleased, sources tell me that Rockstar has plans to develop new ports of games like Red Dead Redemption. But the future of these remastered games depends on how well these initial re-releases sell.

Last edited:

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the visuals. I've been told san Andreas is really good so depending on the level of improvements I may try it.

If it's just a minor improvement over ps2 graphics, then the gameplay probably won't hold up either, so it'd be a hard sell to me.

Still curious.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Hopefully they'll have some good updates to the gameplay. I remember purchasing San Andreas when it came to the PS4 but really struggled with it because when you aim it aims where your character is looking, not where you're pointing your camera at.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I might bite on VC if it's a really good remaster. I really dont care for GTA and VC was the only one to really hold my attention for more than an hour, really funny missions and the vibe/OST was killer

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I just want the lighting effects in VC and SA from the PS2 version in tact. That plus 4k 60fps, unlimited draw distance, full soundtrack restoration, and having no relationship to the old mobile ports, and I'm in.

Guess this explains why they took down the ReVC and Re3 mods. As if that would do anything to sales for something like this 🙄