• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. It's not coming next year.

2020 is all but locked in
Do you see any possibility of a first half 2020 release?

I was kind of wondering about it mostly because Microsoft started talking about their next console last E3, which felt a bit odd if they were going to hold another E3 where they weren't really talking about it, but announcing it for real 18 months beforehand felt too early.

Everyone also seems to really be moving it to get their last games out the door in 2019.

That said, my assumption has still been like 85%+ chance both are Fall 2020.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2019 folk, give up and join me in the unrealistic team Early 2020!

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Still off by one year.

It should be a 2021 release. Giving a nice clean 5 year gap between the release of it and the PS4 Pro.

Oh fuck no, devs are crying out in pain for more powerful hardware to work with. The current CPU is a giant anchor. Sure Rockstar worked technical miracles with RDR2. Only took them 8 years with 3 thousand employees. Not exactly a model everyone can follow.

udllpn

Oct 28, 2017
Jason Schreier is just referencing an article from a few months ago. He might be reiterating the same idea, but this is not really anything new.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

I was kind of wondering about it mostly because Microsoft started talking about their next console last E3, which felt a bit odd if they were going to hold another E3 where they weren't really talking about it, but announcing it for real 18 months beforehand felt too early.

Everyone also seems to really be moving it to get their last games out the door in 2019.

If it was first half, when would they market it? It'd piss off so many people if they bought a PS4 for Christmas and they immediately render it obsolete.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly these PS4 black friday bundle deals make more sense. Still a great time to buy. Will be good TiV next year when trading towards the inevitable PS5

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Spring 2020 announcement, E3 2020 line-up games, November 2020 release.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unsure why anyone would think 2019 when Sony themselves still have at least 8 titles to release for the PS4. Even including cross-gen games, that's still way too many to release in a year. You'll see 5 games release next year, and then 3 the year after.

OP
OP
jbug617

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

My thinking of why Xbox did was because the cloud streaming stuff was going to be announced so they try to soften the blow by saying they are working on the next Xbox.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think Spring 2020 for sure. If they were planning a Fall 2019 launch but ran into some issues at the last minute, most things are still likely in place. Fall 2019 reveal, Spring 2020 launch. Bookmark it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Been saying 2020 for a few years. I think both Microsoft and Sony will launch their next boxes then.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
No way team2019 is moving to Xbox now.....

I think Microsoft has a UNIQUE opportunity to pull a 360 here ( 1 year before the competition ). I hope they do. This feels SO MUCH like the PS2 era where Sony dominated witjpiy mercy. But then Microsoft and Nintemdo responded with the 360 and the Wii after their commercial failures. Nintendo slready answered big time. Make your move MS !

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I know some people actually are expecting a non traditional first half of 2020 release.

I cant say anything definitive on that, but I can say there are people that are not counting it out

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
The only question now is if Microsoft will try to jump the gun and start the generation early in 2019 to get a first mover advantage like it had with the 360. That could accelerate when we stop seeing cross-gen games.
That honestly depends on whether your diagnosis of the 360's relative success compared to the Xbox and Xbox1 (especially in the first half of the PS360 generation) was about the first-mover advantage or about one of the other major factors (to the extent that that was monocausal, which of course it wasn't).

Jumping early and having a power/supply chain disadvantage could be dangerous.

Verruckt93

Feb 16, 2018
Sony wants to keep close announcement and release, like ps4 pro, so Q3 will be announced and Q4 2019 released

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone with any knowledge has been saying 2020 for months and yet we still have people who I guess just refuse to listen and keep pulling next year out of their asses.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017

I suspect they mentioned their next console purely to reassure the hardcore that there would definitely be a next console. Their obvious focus on streaming might have caused a backlash if they weren't very clear about that.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think it'll be shown and released in 2020, so a November 2020 launch is where I'm putting my bet.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

People site the switch as reasoning for a spring 2020 launch for PS5, but completely discount the different positions of the WiiU and the PS4. I also find it extremely hard to believe there will be no PS e3 conference before the release of the PS5. If anything this not only confirms 2020 but the portion of 2020 the release will happen in.

I think Microsoft has a UNIQUE opportunity to pull a 360 here ( 1 year before the competition ). I hope they do. This feels SO MUCH like the PS2 era where Sony dominated witjpiy mercy. But then Microsoft and Nintemdo responded with the 360 and the Wii after their commercial failures. Nintendo slready answered big time. Make your move MS !
You think MS is putting out a next gen console 2 years removed from the One X?

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, Jason, Kirk and Maddy were specifically taking the piss out of ResetEra's #Team2019 on Splitscreen last week.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People site the switch as reasoning for a spring 2020 launch for PS5, but completely discount the different positions of the WiiU and the PS4. I also find it extremely hard to believe there will be no PS e3 conference before the release of the PS5. If anything this not only confirms 2020 but the portion of 2020 the release will happen in.

I think them outright skipping the entirety of E3 2019 shows you the importance they put on the show. So I'm not sure why they would feel the need to have an E3 before releasing PS5 if they are basically moving away from that format.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the ps5 to be slightly more powerful than the ps4pro but function like a switch

FFObsessed

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2020 was what I was hoping for. Seems just right.

Days Gone - 2019
Dreams - 2019
Ghost of Tsushima - 2019?
The Last of Us 2 - 2020?
Death Stranding - 2020?

In expect FFVII remake to be PS5 in god knows when.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought he said expect the normal rate of output, there was no concrete date at least that I'm aware of. 2020 or 2021 are both reasonable. Oblivion to Fallout 3 had a two year gap.

It would be amazing to have it as launch title for the next gen systems. I just hope the game will showcase next gen worthy graphics too. Fallout 76 barely looks better than 4 but I have faith this will be different for Starfield.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, if Kotaku says it, it's 2020.

I expect one of them launch 1H 2020 especially now that Switch has done it successfully, a 6-9 month between the 2 would give each breathing room and do good for both consoles. Lots of people who would get only 1 console in November would probably get both that way, me included. Xbox is getting more attractive with the new investments in 1P and things like BC and Gamepass. I think MS will likely go first, they seem more disruptive lately while Sony will go for the traditional fall season. Though Sony skipping E3 could also mean a reveal closer to launch, like Nintendo did it, a PS Meeting in October perhaps, or PS Meeting morphed into PSX 2019 (perhaps even for launch fall 2020)?