• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
From Kotaku:

One of the video game industry's most grating trends is timed exclusivity, when a console manufacturer like Sony or Microsoft pays a publisher money in order to deprive content from other platforms for a certain timeframe. It looks like Red Dead Redemption 2 will be following suit.

Today, developer Rockstar announced a bunch of bundles and pre-order bonuses for the much-anticipated Western game, and buried amongst all the stuff about outfits and GTA Online cash on the PlayStation Store is this line:

PlayStation® Exclusive: Play select content first on PlayStation®4. Details to follow.

So it is hard to say if this could be jumping to conclusions, but a fair point was raised on what this could mean.

We don't know the scale of "select content"—could be hats, could be a full expansion—but if it's anything like Sony's arrangement with Destiny, it will be a pain for Xbox players. The company behind the PlayStation 4 paid Activision to keep guns, maps, and even full strikes away from Xbox players for years, then did the same for Destiny 2 and several Call of Duty games. Microsoft has pulled its own "timed exclusivity" nonsense for Dragon Age: Inquisition as well as other big multi-platform games—also including Call of Duty—over the past decade.

Not sure if this overlaps with the other RDR2 thread or not posted today, but it seems interesting how we got word of three versions up for preorder and then something like this comes up afterwards for Sony's side of things.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly sure we knew this from the first trailer. It said that there would be PlayStation timed exclusive content for people who preorder.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Old, but this shit needs to die. Any timed exclusivity for multiplats is bad for consumers, period.

Surprised marketers haven't found a more creative way to drive interest in a game.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
they said multiplayer content when it was announced, there was a post on psblog I think.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Old news, but this kind of exclusivity stuff just needs to die out.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If people have noticed the amount of ingame money for GTAOnline for preordering the game is way higher on PS4 than on Xbox... kinda sad.

I hope this content is just some skins or weapons and not missions etc

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Devs/pubs like these exclusivity deals. Their games get much stronger 1st party promotion, bundles, etc. It increases sales by a lot.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it is. MS would need to pay substantially more than MS for something like this due to the user base gap.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Oct 26, 2017
Odd that Kotaku comes with this when it's far from actually news. As soon as they announced the game and how they partnered with Sony again they said MP shit would be exclusive or timed.

I couldn't care less really.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Timed exclusivity is shit. It just punishes gamers for picking the 'wrong' console.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony should get more shit for this, I cant stand it.

Why it's business you think if Microsoft had all these deals Their install base would t be better than it is?

Microsoft did this last gen as well, recently they said were not doing that anymore which may or may not be true as it's easy to say that when your competition already had these deals in place.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't personally care if it's multiplayer content, because I'm indifferent to it. But in either case, paying for content to not be on other platforms is gross.