• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I think they're questioning the application, not the existence.

These tags are applied by users, after all. I don't know about you, but I really wouldn't trust Steam users to do the right thing here.
Er, no, I think. Steam tags used to be user-managed, but that went south really quickly, and tags were changed to be developer-managed. That's why, for instance, an adult game on Steam is fair game, but only as long as it's properly tagged (and age-gated), so that others could filter it out (or search for it).

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Devs hape extra power for tags.
For reputable developers, sure.

But are any of the troll developers with their garbage games going to do any of that? I doubt it. So the LGBT+ tag could easily just get filled up with garbage (not to mention those homophobic troll games).

Which I think was the concern of the person who was originally being quoted.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Nice for them to include them, but i just feel like all this will do is make a certain subset of people on steam go and systematically reviewbomb all games with this tag.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty awesome. My son and I wanted to find something to play on Steam a couple months ago and quickly realized this wasn't a thing. Any kind of LBGTQ+ representation maks him happy.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Ucslijm.jpg

Don't misunderstand me, I'm a black homosexual woman in a wheelchair and I don't think I need representation

Fuck off. These individualistic pricks. Also, I would ban so hard anyone who uses the word "nibba".

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
You certainly sound like somebody who is all for it:

"I'm fine with an LGBT tag as long as it meets this very high standard that I just pulled out a hat, a standard that conveniently only applies to that tag."

I think they're questioning the application, not the existence.

These tags are applied by users, after all. I don't know about you, but I really wouldn't trust Steam users to do the right thing here.

Thanks devSin for wording it for me.
I indeed feel like we will could see "fake" games fill the list of interest :(
I don't mind the end result quality -or perceived quality-, specially when there are early access titles which might be a varying levels of milestones reached (and budget of course), and i would be very welcome of a good text adventure (infocom style), i mind the intention behind puting the tag. :/
I fear some people will be taking advantage of it to push things not at all pertaining to the tag, flooding the search results and limiting the pertinence.
I meant curating as verifying that the presence of the tag is justified.
It would be devastating for the idea to have someone flood with biggot games being pushed with the tag just to hurt us.

sorry if i lack clarity in my writing, if i sound offensive, it's far from what i try to convey.