• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any sales numbers yet? Or do you just mean sales are good anecdotally?

Quest seems to be great news for the VR platform as a whole.
All we know is they've been pretty constantly been sold out, even accessories are selling out, and developers are reporting much higher sales of their games on Quest than on other platforms.

UploadVR said:
In a prepared statement, Tom Kaczmarczyk, Cofounder & Director at Superhot, said the team was "amazed" by the game's reception. "[Quest is] a watershed moment for the industry and the sales numbers suggests that players believe so too," he said.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds great but I've already got a PSVR so I'll probably hold off for the next gen headsets in a few years.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you wait two to three years to play great VR games just for a what, 40%-45% increase in graphical fidelity? When that comes out, there'll be even more powerful hardware just about to come out on the market, so you'll wait another 2-3 years. And another. And lose out on playing great games.

This isn't a cell phone, they aren't releasing them yearly. Oculus (kinda sorta somewhat) upgraded the Rift after 3 years, which was what they had originally hinted at as a time frame (they said they wanted their generations longer than smartphone generations, but shorter than game console generations).

Because over the next couple of years, using this chip is going to stop developers from really utilising this properly as SD835 just isn't powerful enough.

The difference in GPU power between just 835 and 855 is more than the 40% you quoted. Give a few years and gen 2 will obviously build from this, be backwards compatible as a platform on the same architecture.

Yes I'll miss out for now but I don't have the time or capabilities to do It yet. A few years down the road and I'll be able to introduce my little ones to VR also.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
My problem with it is the weight actually and the way it's trapped to your face. having no wire is great but really the biggest immersion breaking for me in vr is having 600gr glued to your skull -_-

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you wait two to three years to play great VR games just for a what, 40%-45% increase in graphical fidelity? When that comes out, there'll be even more powerful hardware just about to come out on the market, so you'll wait another 2-3 years. And another. And lose out on playing great games.

This isn't a cell phone, they aren't releasing them yearly. Oculus (kinda sorta somewhat) upgraded the Rift after 3 years, which was what they had originally hinted at as a time frame (they said they wanted their generations longer than smartphone generations, but shorter than game console generations).

And honestly, if they're smart, they'll just apply most of that extra power to upping the refresh rate and improving battery life. I can't imagine the games will look much different. Nor do they really need to.

My problem with it is the weight actually and the way it's trapped to your face. having no wire is great but really the biggest immersion breaking for me in vr is having 600gr glued to your skull -_-

This is undeniably the elephant in the room. And it doesn't help that the face cushion just sucks. I'm currently looking at ways to make this more comfortable (watch any video and everyone constantly fiddles with it. Whether for comfort, or getting it back in the sweet spot because you've loosened the fit to make it more tolerable).

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And honestly, if they're smart, they'll just apply most of that extra power to upping the refresh rate and improving battery life. I can't imagine the games will look much different. Nor do they really need to.

VR games will most certainly aim for better visuals if given better hardware to work with. It's a given.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Waiting on Best Buy to restock in store so I can give it a try. If I don't like I can return it and the games.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Because over the next couple of years, using this chip is going to stop developers from really utilising this properly as SD835 just isn't powerful enough.

The difference in GPU power between just 835 and 855 is more than the 40% you quoted. Give a few years and gen 2 will obviously build from this, be backwards compatible as a platform on the same architecture.

Yes I'll miss out for now but I don't have the time or capabilities to do It yet. A few years down the road and I'll be able to introduce my little ones to VR also.
845 is roughly 20%-25% better than 835 in real world performance. 855 is roughly 30% better than 845 in real world performance. I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons between 835 and 855.

The thing you have to realize, is console manufacturers never go with current-gen chips, they are always a couple years behind. Even big console manufacturers like Sony, Microsoft. Because they have to lock it down early enough for developers to get working and really push the hardware. In the past they've tried switching to more powerful chips shortly before launch, it generally pisses off developers and causes problems with the launch games. This is the real reason why top of the line PC gaming always has the best graphics, even at console launch.

And it's probably going to be three years before a new Oculus Quest hits the market, especially since Oculus now has three headset lines to keep up. We might get a new Oculus Go next year (gotta keep up the $200 level VR for media watchers).

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
All we know is they've been pretty constantly been sold out, even accessories are selling out, and developers are reporting much higher sales of their games on Quest than on other platforms.

Ok. It's all anecdotal data then. Hopefully we'll get some non-SuperData sales numbers at some point. It sounds like something Facebook should be proud of.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch has shown that convenience can matter in making a hardware more appealing. This is sort of the VR equivalent and I'm glad it's getting some recognition.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
VR games will most certainly aim for better visuals if given better hardware to work with. It's a given.

It's still mobile, though. Even with the best mobile chip available, if you aim for realistic styles, it's going to look terrible. The best looking Quest games have clean art styles and run at high resolution and 4X MSAA. They look good... minus the shaders and real-time lighting, which isn't going to change anytime soon with mobile. So you're still going to have the same exact restrictions. And if you aim for clean, stylized games, it's not going to make much of a difference in the visuals.

Which is why upping the refresh rate makes a ton of sense. It would have more benefit than slightly more polygons. And it wouldn't create a mess for developers needing to support both.

Who knows what direction they'll go in, but refresh rate and the awful comfort are the two biggest things that could use upgrades IMO.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Switch has shown that convenience can matter in making a hardware more appealing. This is sort of the VR equivalent and I'm glad it's getting some recognition.
Yeah, it's crazy. I have a Pimax 8k headset, the first second-gen VR headset with a 200 degree Field of View, and it is amazing. Yet 90% of my VR gaming over the past two weeks has been on Quest because of how super convenient it is. In the morning I can just pick it up and put it on and get a good morning Space Pirate Trainer workout, in the evening I can pick it up and put it on for some YouTube watching or play a more involved game to relax.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Which is why upping the refresh rate makes a ton of sense. It would have more benefit than slightly more polygons. And it wouldn't create a mess for developers needing to support both.

Who knows what direction they'll go in, but refresh rate and the awful comfort are the two biggest things that could use upgrades IMO.
Unfortunately, we pretty much know refresh rate is off the table, Oculus *lowered* the refresh rate of the Rift S, purely so PC gamers could run higher resolution games without lowering graphical quality. That was their given reason for it, nothing technical, they just wanted to maintain the same minimum specs as the three-year-old Rift while increasing the resolution. And apparently didn't want to give that as an option, instead force it on everyone.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
845 is roughly 20%-25% better than 835 in real world performance. 855 is roughly 30% better than 845 in real world performance. I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons between 835 and 855.

The thing you have to realize, is console manufacturers never go with current-gen chips, they are always a couple years behind. Even big console manufacturers like Sony, Microsoft. Because they have to lock it down early enough for developers to get working and really push the hardware. In the past they've tried switching to more powerful chips shortly before launch, it generally pisses off developers and causes problems with the launch games. This is the real reason why top of the line PC gaming always has the best graphics, even at console launch.

And it's probably going to be three years before a new Oculus Quest hits the market, especially since Oculus now has three headset lines to keep up. We might get a new Oculus Go next year (gotta keep up the $200 level VR for media watchers).
Oh I know about how long we will wait between iterations.

3 years is probably perfect for me anyway!

However as I said the concept and execution is already great but I can wait for a more mature iteration because it'll suit me and it'll be better. Win win.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any sales numbers yet? Or do you just mean sales are good anecdotally?

Quest seems to be great news for the VR platform as a whole.
anecdotally and the fact it keeps on selling out. Best Buy when I got mine said they sold more of these in like 2 days than they've seen of Oculus in the last 6 months. They sold out of all their units that day too (they had 24 left when I was there only the 128gb, I got the last 64)

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Killer Apps for me have been Beat Saber, Vader, and Superhot. They all additionally have high replayability through endless / dojo modes.

Even more noteworthy is ALVR is available and fairly functional, so with a high end gaming PC and a good 5ghz AC capable router you can stream PC VR games wirelessly to the headset. I've gotten Space Pirate Trainer, Rez Infinite, and Skyrim all working to a good degree. Gonna have to mod Skyrim a bit more though, I want better looking textures for sure.

There's also a good sideloading app available called SideQuest, where you can sideload any Android APK. Through that I got Quake VR working on my Rift, and you can mod Beat Saber to get custom music working already. The livestreaming to Facebook is really cool too, though I wish there was a Twitch app available.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
when i said it here, all VR enthusiasts were like "i don't see a difference between that and PSVR, Valve Index is more exciting..."

Oculus Quest is the future of VR, we'll have to see the support going forward though, it needs new contents every week.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I really just want gorn for quest but the devs already says no because the quest is not powerfull enough (mediocre cpu probably, that game has a lot of physics and stuff on screen)

Gorn on quest and i will buy it in a heartbeat.

Also thrill of the fight, by far the best boxe game for vr (the other boxe games are not even close)

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
honestly making the Quest is probably one of the best decisions Oculus could have made. Sure I get its not the tip top cutting edge VR graphics but to accelerate mass adoption its doing a pretty damn good job at doing so. people just want a magic box they can put on their head and see a virtual world. nailing this was key, now they can work on better processing power, rendering techniques etc in the future and reduce the form factor and you will really see it take off. Apples AR glasses that are coming in the next few years will really boost overall adoption of VR as well as non gamey people get used to the idea of looking at virtual worlds and seeing how immersive it is

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If I didn't already have psvr and games on it I'd probably be buying this now. The convenience sounds amazing. There's also some psvr exclusives that keep me from switching.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to see a VR solution that has that kind of convenience, but I think I'd rather trade that convenience in exchange for a better overall quality experience. The Valve Index's controllers and near-flawless tracking are still very much worth the initial setup time (especially the Index controllers, even the redesigned Touch controllers seem inherently lackluster by comparison now), even if the price is quite a big ask. Call me cynical, but I'm too sceptical of the Quest's camera tracking and its inherent limitations to take the plunge - Vive/Index may not be as portable or easy to set up, but I'm not gonna be worried about any tracking issues with a good Lighthouse setup.

Last edited:

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Word. It's certainly cool. I already kinda want it so if developers really dig in and target the Quest's strengths with good software, I'll definitely cave. But already owning a GearVR (meh), Daydream (meh+), and PSVR (✔), I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars on a visual downgrade.
I've had a PSVR since launch and before I got the Quest I thought I was going to use my PSVR as my main VR and my Quest when I'm out and about and after having it idk why I would go back to my PSVR outside of exclusives. Superhot has better lighting/particle effects and less of a SDE on PSVR. But the negatives compared to the quest are the small tracking window, having to be stationary, not being able to turn around, not being able to slowly walk to the other side of the area (not room as you can play quest anywhere basically), and wobbly hands and worse tracking for shooting and throwing.

Other benefits include if my quest is in its box put away, the setup--> in game time is <2 mins while the PSVR in the same situation is at least 7-8, 10-15 mins if you are bringing it somewhere new. Higher resolution (more SDE though) and already more non game VR apps. IMO the quest blows the PSVR out of the water and its only saving grace is having Sony exclusives.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
It's still mobile, though. Even with the best mobile chip available, if you aim for realistic styles, it's going to look terrible. The best looking Quest games have clean art styles and run at high resolution and 4X MSAA. They look good... minus the shaders and real-time lighting, which isn't going to change anytime soon with mobile. So you're still going to have the same exact restrictions. And if you aim for clean, stylized games, it's not going to make much of a difference in the visuals.

Yeah this why I'm waiting on Gen 2. Like to see higher refresh rate, better comfort, and a third for me better audio solution than having audio in the headband. Gen 2 with a better Qualcomm chip and hardware refinements could be quite the upgrade.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The ability with the Quest to easily show VR to other people just by bringing a small carrying case has been game changing for me as someone who loves to share game experiences with people. I've brought it to work several times, shown it at different friend's houses, etc. It's so extremely convenient, and you can set it up anywhere. To do the same with PSVR I'd have had to bring a big bag of stuff.

The one bummer that comes from that ease of use is that the features for people not playing the VR are lessened. You stream the video only to some devices, but that's not really the same as how well the PSVR does the social screen thing. And some games, like Beat Saber, can't be streamed at all. So it can be tough to talk a newbie through things when you literally can't see what they are seeing.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of like a yeah no shit thing

Of course VR needed to get rid of wires and be as convenient as possible. Once the mobile and battery tech catches up it'll finally be huge but this was always going to be the route.
Yeah I'm with you, I think the thing people don't realize is that VR is already at $400 for a stand alone set top of the line set. Once this thing hits smartphone levels its going to be like $150-200 making it more accessible than smart phones once palm pilot and mp3 player tech first merged into consumer smartphones.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It needs killer-apps.
Untethered Beat Saber, Super Hot and Apex are 100% killer apps.

I have Quest, Rift S (original Rift) and Index on the way and if the game i want to play is also on Quest i will only play it on quest because until you actually play the quest there is nothing like it. I played Beat Saber and Super hot in just about every room in my house, front yard, back yard, friends houses, a football field, a baseball field. None of which required an expensive computer or cables and it cost $600-1000 less than every other VR headset except rift S. The only reason i even got the Index is because i like what they are doing with the controller.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Can the Quest be upgraded via SD cards for more storage capacity? 64/128gb seems pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I've had a PSVR since launch and before I got the Quest I thought I was going to use my PSVR as my main VR and my Quest when I'm out and about and after having it idk why I would go back to my PSVR outside of exclusives. Superhot has better lighting/particle effects and less of a SDE on PSVR. But the negatives compared to the quest are the small tracking window, having to be stationary, not being able to turn around, not being able to slowly walk to the other side of the area (not room as you can play quest anywhere basically), and wobbly hands and worse tracking for shooting and throwing.

Other benefits include if my quest is in its box put away, the setup--> in game time is <2 mins while the PSVR in the same situation is at least 7-8, 10-15 mins if you are bringing it somewhere new. Higher resolution (more SDE though) and already more non game VR apps. IMO the quest blows the PSVR out of the water and its only saving grace is having Sony exclusives.

Yeah I'm pretty much convinced by all that. The main issue really is the game library. Sony's exclusives count for a lot, and the "killer apps" people are listing for Quest are mostly available on PSVR. I know Oculus has developed into a pretty decent first party in their own right, but the games I'd be really tempted to play (esp Lone Echo and Edge of Nowhere) are not supported on Quest yet. PC tethering functionality would push me over the edge.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer saying he didn't think VR was mass market until it was wireless seems prophetic now. I'm very curious what MS will do with VR in the early to mid 2020s.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Untethered Beat Saber, Super Hot and Apex are 100% killer apps.

I have Quest, Rift S (original Rift) and Index on the way and if the game i want to play is also on Quest i will only play it on quest because until you actually play the quest there is nothing like it. I played Beat Saber and Super hot in just about every room in my house, front yard, back yard, friends houses, a football field, a baseball field. None of which required an expensive computer or cables and it cost $600-1000 less than every other VR headset except rift S. The only reason i even got the Index is because i like what they are doing with the controller.

For me, I have a PS4 and a PC. The Quest at $400 isn't an impulse purchase, especially after I feel like I wasted $150 on the Oculus GO. If I'm looking to get back into VR then in a few days a $250 PSVR is good enough. There's so much improving in terms of technology, I just feel like the Quest has a limited shelf life. Sure it's wireless, but there will also probably be wireless solutions for the next gen of VR headsets that also benefit from having much more powerful hardware powering them. You're not playing something like Skyrim on that Quest, at least not Quest 1.0.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SO i would guess with the pretty high resolution of that thing, it must be pretty awesome to watch movies in a virtual theater ? Does it have netflix etc ?
I only have the gear VR version of Netflix to compare but this blows it out of the water. The fact that you can get up and walk around the room gave me a glimpse of the future of VR rooms. With VR you will be able to make the most of your space

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
There's so much improving in terms of technology, I just feel like the Quest has a limited shelf life. Sure it's wireless, but there will also probably be wireless solutions for the next gen of VR headsets that also benefit from having much more powerful hardware powering them. You're not playing something like Skyrim on that Quest, at least not Quest 1.0.
The next gen of VR headsets has started, and wireless is not where they are headed. Valve Index and Pimax even still requires base stations mounted in your room, and HP Reverb uses the same tracking as most WMR devices (those are the first three next-gen consumer headsets). There is admittedly a wireless solution for Vive Pro, which (while not next-gen VR) is a decently high resolution, so they could use similar tech on Pimax (and in fact it was announced...but the Pimax company is very optimistic about everything). But in general the high resolutions and refresh rates will be very hard to do wirelessly without affecting latency, which you do NOT want in VR.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
If you already have a gaming PC with a good 5 ghz router the value proposition becomes even more insane for Quest with being able to stream your PCVR library to the headset, it works really well with the ALVR app.

It's exciting seeing how many sideloaded apps are being made for the Quest in such a short time, it feels similar to the enthusiasm from the dev community in those early Oculus devkit years with all the community made demos popping up regularly.

The Quest is by far the most exciting headset to come along since the Vive imo. I really think it has the potential to become something big.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this why I'm waiting on Gen 2. Like to see higher refresh rate, better comfort, and a third for me better audio solution than having audio in the headband. Gen 2 with a better Qualcomm chip and hardware refinements could be quite the upgrade.

This arguably is Gen 2 (with Gen 1 being the Oculus Go).

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer saying he didn't think VR was mass market until it was wireless seems prophetic now. I'm very curious what MS will do with VR in the early to mid 2020s.

This is one area I feel my X is being sorely underutilized in, it'd be great to see a headset released that works for it and the forthcoming nextbox consoles. Imagining VR games being added to Gamepass makes it all the better. Hopefully they discuss something related to it on Sunday :)

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Quest and PSVR owner and it really makes me never want to play my PSVR. Ease, convenience, room scale, and great hand tracking.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
For me, I have a PS4 and a PC. The Quest at $400 isn't an impulse purchase, especially after I feel like I wasted $150 on the Oculus GO. If I'm looking to get back into VR then in a few days a $250 PSVR is good enough. There's so much improving in terms of technology, I just feel like the Quest has a limited shelf life. Sure it's wireless, but there will also probably be wireless solutions for the next gen of VR headsets that also benefit from having much more powerful hardware powering them. You're not playing something like Skyrim on that Quest, at least not Quest 1.0.
I can play Skryim on Quest through multiple apps. And unlike PSVR i have 6d0f and roomscale.

Quest is the future of VR if it ever wants to leave hobbyist market. It doesn't require anything other than the headset and it just came out and already has heavy hitting games and games exclusive to it and Oculus.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds great but I've already got a PSVR so I'll probably hold off for the next gen headsets in a few years.

That damn quest beat saber commercial is actually what pushed me to get a PSVR (cost helped too lol). Now I'm a believer. I see myself grabbing a quest or updated version down the line for sure though.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can play Skryim on Quest through multiple apps. And unlike PSVR i have 6d0f and roomscale.

Quest is the future of VR if it ever wants to leave hobbyist market. It doesn't require anything other than the headset and it just came out and already has heavy hitting games and games exclusive to it and Oculus.

Are you trying to suggest that PSVR isn't 6DOF?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
PSVR has 6 degrees of freedom. It has full head and controller tracking in 3D space, that's what 6 DoF means. 3 DoF means it only tracks your orientation, not moving forward/back, up/down, lean left/right, and PSVR can do all that, for both headset and controllers. It's true that if you turn away from the camera and move the controllers in front of your body, blocking the camera, the controllers disappear, but that's not the same thing, and it doesn't really affect Skyrim much since the game is pretty much a sit-down game (you *can* stand, but the gameplay isn't designed around that).

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
As a PSVR owner who was incredibly frustrated with its tracking capabilities I'm finding the Quest's inside-out solution still falls short of the PC VR tracking I've been drooling over for years (try to move like this in Beat Saber and you won't hit those next notes lol), but as long as you keep your hands in front of you it's a huge upgrade, and overall the headset is a massive improvement on the whole VR experience. The sheer convenience of it has me using it far, far more frequently than I ever used my PSVR.

I wonder if they'll do an upgraded version of this after a couple years. I'd be really excited to see what it could be like with more recent mobile hardware, and maybe some sort of solution for tracking behind you.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

I mean you technically can play Skyrim VR on Quest, but have you actually tried it?

It's a streaming solution. It adds latency, and reduces image quality. I wouldn't want either when playing VR games.

And yeah, as it's been pointed out by others, PSVR has a full six degrees of freedom. It doesn't have full roomscale, but you can take a few steps in any direction.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Word. It's certainly cool. I already kinda want it so if developers really dig in and target the Quest's strengths with good software, I'll definitely cave. But already owning a GearVR (meh), Daydream (meh+), and PSVR (✔), I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars on a visual downgrade.

What it lacks in fidelity it makes up in resolution and moveability for me: Superhot was borderline unplayable for me with the wires and calibration in a small space with PSVR.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Streaming Skyrim through an app is not a native experience. However if playing Skyrim like that sub-optimally is good enough for you, then the PSVR experience should also be good enough.

The Quest is targeting a subset of gamers. It very much is a hobbyist device. If you don't game, but have a passing interest in VR, you can buy something like Oculus Go at half the price.There are some good games(also available elsewhere), and I don't doubt the library will get better but the ceiling as far as visual fidelity and the complexity of games that it can run natively isn't very high. I wouldn't trade what a PSVR2 matched with the specs of PS5 would offer just so I can walk around without a wire. Of course there are people who care about that stuff less and care more about convenience, which is part of the reason the Switch is successful. The portability matters to them, but they also understand they aren't getting the best of the best. I just think $400 is a bit high given the tech. $250 would probably be the sweet spot.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
The gaming media is hyping the fuck out of this thing, how has the mass media reception been? Anything like the first wave of VR a couple of years ago?