Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
You know guys, I disagree with Kotaku's take on the PS4, as I have made amply clear through the thread, but this whole "US outlets hate PlayStation and prop up Xbox" conspiracy theory is GameFAQs tier bullshit nonsense that I am surprised is actually being tolerated on a board like Era that likes to claim that it is better than things like this.

I mean, US outlets apparently hate PlayStation. EDGE and Eurogamer apparently hate PlayStation, and those are UK and European outlets. It sounds like all media in the world hates on PlayStation and has a fanboy agenda against them and/or for their competition. Listen to yourselves.

I don't care about the other outlets you mentioned but Eurogamer Editor in cheif is a Nintnedo Fanboy according to digital foundary Dark1x which posted that here on Era. That's not coming from me or any conspiracy theory but a co-worker.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a One X and I really like it, but the Xbox future is confusing to me and I feel like they don't have one main focus. Between game pass, play anywhere, streaming future, and still a serious lack of new exclusives, what am I supposed to be excited about?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's a bias either way but it happened at the beginning of this gen where places were downplaying Sony and propping up Xbox. It seems to be happening again and articles like this Kotaku are similar to that.
I don't think it's part or indicative of any large conspiracy or sinister scheme behind the scenes. It may be worthwhile considering that the people who are writing these thinkpieces simply have different preferences and/or ideas of what is and is not exciting than we do. Someone in the games media who follows the industry 24/7 has seen Microsoft make several aggressive moves this year, from studio acquisitions to Game Pass to xCloud; they have seen Sony fumble the ball on cross platform play, PlayStation Classic, and E3/PSX. Sony has been releasing great games, but it's not difficult to see why they may feel that their larger trend has been downwards, not upwards. We, as players, are more concerned with the games that we are playing, and the market performance of the PS4 and its games reflects that.

But that doesn't mean there is a sinister, malicious agenda or attempt to downplay PlayStation. If that is what you legitimately feel (I know you've said you don't, but I am speaking to the dozen plus people in this thread who have admitted to feeling this way), maybe take a step back from all this and get some fucking perspective. While accusing others of being fanboys, these people are outing themselves as the biggest fanboys of all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about the other outlets you mentioned but Eurogamer Editor in cheif is a Nintnedo Fanboy according to digital foundary Dark1x which posted that here on Era. That's not coming from me or any conspiracy theory but a co-worker.
Okay, and? He's a person who has his own preferences, where are we going with this?

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's part or indicative of any large conspiracy or sinister scheme behind the scenes. It may be worthwhile considering that the people who are writing these thinkpieces simply have different preferences and/or ideas of what is and is not exciting than we do. Someone in the games media who follows the industry 24/7 has seen Microsoft make several aggressive moves this year, from studio acquisitions to Game Pass to xCloud; they have seen Sony fumble the ball on cross platform play, PlayStation Classic, and E3/PSX. Sony has been releasing great games, but it's not difficult to see why they may feel that their larger trend has been downwards, not upwards. We, as players, are more concerned with the games that we are playing, and the market performance of the PS4 and its games reflects that.

But that doesn't mean there is a sinister, malicious agenda or attempt to downplay PlayStation. If that is what you legitimately feel (I know you've said you don't, but I am speaking to the dozen plus people in this thread who have admitted to feeling this way), maybe take a step back from all this and get some fucking perspective. While accusing others of being fanboys, these people are outing themselves as the biggest fanboys of all.

I was really tempted to write something to this effect, but you basically summed up everything already. The article could have done a better job with really raising up Sony's highs for this year, but I think folks are using that to blow the other parts way out of proportion.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
It would be kind of cool to see Sony attempt at making a successful 1st party multiplayer game, FPS 3rd person shooter or arcade racer. Single player is simply Sony being in their bag, but there's more to games than just story driven/cinematic games. I love a great story as much as the next guy but...

Oct 27, 2017
It would be kind of cool to see Sony attempt at making a successful 1st party multiplayer game, FPS 3rd person shooter or arcade racer. Single player is simply Sony being in their bag, but there's more to games than just story driven/cinematic games. I love a great story as much as the next guy but...

MAG was great, it just came a few years too early :(

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018

No one said is a conspiracy. It is the 4th article in one week with clear bias around Xbox and diminishing playstation. It is reality. Not a conspiracy theory.

The motivation behind that? I have no idea. All websites have fanboys from all sides.

But all these recent articles look like a fanboy post and not a serious article.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You brought up Eurogamer... the official twitter acount or the articles by that person has caused some of that perception becuase he infused fanboy drivel in them.
I brought up Eurogamer to demonstrate the larger point that if you were to listen to fanboys, every outlet around the world is biased against Sony. Which is bullshit "lol games media" rhetoric.
Eurogamer's editor in chief may have whatever preferences he has that he posts on Twitter (drivel as you call it), I'm not sure how the larger site coverage is affected by any of that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one said is a conspiracy. It is the 4th article in one week with clear bias around Xbox and diminishing playstation. It is reality. Not a conspiracy theory.

The motivation behind that? I have no idea. All websites have fanboys from all sides.

But all these recent articles look like a fanboy post and not a serious article.
As I said: take a minute to consider that people have different preferences than you instead of getting into accusations of bias.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017

Clicks drive revenue, biases are impossible to eliminate so people should always expect these articles to pop up here and there. Sony has crushed the competition this generation both in sales and quality of their hardware and software.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Also, all of these companies are following a strategy. They prioritize and allocate resources differently, according to these strategies. One company excelling, like Microsoft with BC or GamePass for example, in order to differentiate themselves, gets them alot of buzz compared to the competition. Who may not be employing these programs (or at least not as well), but that doesn't mean other companies are complacent and the company getting all the praise because of current efforts is doing A-ok. People are so quick to jump to the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. It creates a narrow perspective to what is actually being done among everyone.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think there is a large portion of gamers and gaming media out there excited about Xbox right now. I don't think it's bias towards the brand or against PlayStation, it's just MS is making more moves right now going into next gen. The studio acquisitions, Game Pass, Xcloud, etc. Once Sony finally starts talking about the future I think you'll see articles and hype levels even out a bit more.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018

Looks like pretty serious opinion pieces to me. Still, the gaming community is vast (as if that needed to be said) forums like these are essentially gaming in a bubble. It's easy to think the center of the universe revolves around those who visit Reset on a daily basis - only the opinions here and a few other places matter. That's not the reality though. Never was, tbn.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just got a One X and I really like it, but the Xbox future is confusing to me and I feel like they don't have one main focus. Between game pass, play anywhere, streaming future, and still a serious lack of new exclusives, what am I supposed to be excited about?

I think all those things you mentioned + the influx of exclusives that we'll start seeing when some of these studios start hitting their stride.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen more people bringing up that this same type of thing happening in the past. It's downplaying one company and holding up the other. It happened at the beginning of this gen and it seems like it's starting all over again now.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation had a stellar year and this article is going out of its way to downplay it as much as it can. It is ok to be positive about both platforms...
Oftentimes these Kotaku articles feels like they're just feeding the current Resetera narrative back to people in headline form.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I brought up Eurogamer to demonstrate the larger point that if you were to listen to fanboys, every outlet around the world is biased against Sony. Which is bullshit "lol games media" rhetoric.
Eurogamer's editor in chief may have whatever preferences he has that he posts on Twitter (drivel as you call it), I'm not sure how the larger site coverage is affected by any of that.

Did anyone here actually think that outlets are against PS? I skimmed the thread so I could've missed it but I didn't see any.
Many are porbably confused that this is one article and just read the op. They are separate articles and they did one for Switch just now. I read Kotaku on a daily basis so I know for sure they are not anti any gaming company in particular.

BTW that Eurogamer editor post his stuff on the official site account and I do think the site coverage does get effected when a person that high in editorial is that bad. Do I think they are anti-brand? No, but I think much less of them and take their opnion with a grain of salt when it comes to their coverage of that brand

Oct 27, 2017

Bravo, well said

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wtf ? Detroit , a dud ? It's my fucking game of the year .how can someone call that beautiful journey a dud ? :(

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
Reading that article made me feel like PS4 is doing bad and 2018 was not a good year for it when it has been doing amazing both in sales and in terms of quality exclusives. Nice job Kotaku.

Detroit, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War and Spiderman samey -- yeah sure LOL

Detroit was a failure -- LOL I know some people like to hate on QD games but the game was not a failure and got some really good reviews. Its a game for a specific audience and not for everyone just like I hate playing racing sims which don't make GT or Forza bad games.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
As I said: take a minute to consider that people have different preferences than you instead of getting into accusations of bias.

Different preferences don't excuse false narratives such as saying Sony is complacent and has nothing to compete with Games Pass when PS Now added the ability to download games this year, and is a much more popular service. Or that their support for PSVR is half-hearted. That's disengenuous nonsense. Why isn't Microsoft criticized for being complacent when they are the only console still locking online multiplayer for F2P games behind a paywall? Why is Microsoft treated as the market leader in games streaming when, unlike Sony, they don't even have a streaming service?

This is the same games media that pounded the "Sony Too" shit about online DRM with no evidence whatsoever to support it. When there's an ongoig pattern, it's going to be noticed, and remarked on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen more people bringing up that this same type of thing happening in the past. It's downplaying one company and holding up the other. It happened at the beginning of this gen and it seems like it's starting all over again now.
Again, take a moment to consider why instead of just claiming bias.
Did anyone here actually think that outlets are against PS? I skimmed the thread so I could've missed it but I didn't see any.
Many are porbably confused that this is one article and just read the op. They are separate articles and they did one for Switch just now. I read Kotaku on a daily basis so I know for sure they are not anti any gaming company in particular.

BTW that Eurogamer editor post his stuff on the official site account and I do think the site coverage does get effected when a person that high in editorial is that bad. Do I think they are anti-brand? No, but I think much less of them and take their opnion with a grain of salt when it comes to their coverage of that brand
Yes, there were in fact a bunch of posts stating a larger "western media" conspiracy against PlayStation, which was what I responded to. It's the kind of rhetoric that I feel has no place on a site like this. You can disagree with what someone has to say (I did, you did) without calling their whole integrity into question.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man, kotaku really bending over backwards to make it seem like PS4 didn't just have it's best year.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They forgot PS Now as a Netflix-y way of gaming, especially now that PS4 games will be downloadable. If anything there is a marketing flaw there, but at the very least they've had the streaming of many games well before game pass.

Also don't make a list with Detroit Become Human, God of War, and Spider-Man and call them samey for anything other then being third person and cinematic. Only Spider-Man has towers to climb to see the map, Detroit is not open world, and combat between Spider-Man and God of War is very different. Like for looking at one year they sure seemed to be comparing multiple years

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Different preferences don't excuse false narratives such as saying Sony is complacent and has nothing to compete with Games Pass when PS Now added the ability to download games this year, and is a much more popular service. Or that their support for PSVR is half-hearted. That's disengenuous nonsense. Why isn't Microsoft criticized for being complacent when they are the only console still locking online multiplayer for F2P games behind a paywall? Why is Microsoft treated as the market leader in games streaming when, unlike Sony, they don't even have a streaming service?

This is the same games media that pounded the "Sony Too" shit about online DRM with no evidence whatsoever to support it.
Microsoft was raked over the coals every year the past four years until they finally started turning things around this year.
The rest of it is pure opinions. The person who wrote this article feels Sony is being complacent. He feels their PSVR support is lacking. That's not nonsense, that's how i feel. I disagree with all of this. You do too. The difference is I am not going to go out and cry "fake news media" as many in this thread are apparently all too happy to do.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, take a moment to consider why instead of just claiming bias.

Yes, there were in fact a bunch of posts stating a larger "western media" conspiracy against PlayStation, which was what I responded to. It's the kind of rhetoric that I feel has no place on a site like this. You can disagree with what someone has to say (I did, you did) without calling their whole integrity into question.
I did and articles like that are nonsense now and than. I have issues with the articles that downplay the success of something well praising up The praising microsoft for some of the things they have done is well deserved but it shouldn't at the expense another company. That's the issue with this whole thing. You may think it's not happening but it is and should be called out.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I actually wish GP offered streaming. I'd rather try these games quickly to see if I like them first than have to wait and download some 100GB of data only to delete it when I don't care for it.

Yeah I would love that feature too. I think they'll make it available once they get the whole streaming to smart phones in place.

Yeah, I'm really not against the option being there at all. My problem with the service is that the majority of the library doesn't offer the option. That's why PS NOW just isn't for me. It being the only way to play PS3 on PS4 games also kinda rubs me the wrong way, but that would be a whole other discussion, lol.

That's because PS4 doesn't do BC with PS3, unfortunately. Streaming is the only possible solution as of now.

This. We know exactly how western media is going to push things going into next-gen, just like they couldn't help themselves slobbering all over trying to tell everyone how wrong they were about the original Xbox One policies. Era's going to be brutal, just like PositiveGamer said.

And barely a whisper for the download addition, let alone the ton more games added to it just recently. Even without day-1 first party games the media seems to ignore it still has a number of big first party exclusives as they get older. And it's still just as much a "Netflix of games" as Game Pass is, which is the main point they used in praising the service. And it now also offers downloads like Game Pass (of the games that are possible, since they can't emulate the PS3 and the Cell processor yet), something that people, including the media, supposedly wanted since it was the main differentiation between the services capabilities, but they barely get a whisper for delivering it. While still offering streaming that Game Pass doesn't, but I'm sure they'll praise the moment it launches going into next-gen if the streaming box rumor is real.

And of course meanwhile these newly bought MS studios don't even need to prove they can actually make anything under a few years of MS ownership before some of the media are already making out like they've each already made multiple GOTYs for MS instead of how Sony and Nintendo are on fire and Sony just had multiple GOTY-running games again from their studios this year in another one of their strongest PS4 years.

Taking everything you've said into account, this article is even more rediculous than I thought.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did and articles like that are nonsense now and than. I have issues with the articles that downplay the success of something well praising up The praising microsoft for some of the things they have done is well deserved but it shouldn't at the expense another company. That's the issue with this whole thing. You may think it's not happening but it is and should be called out.
These are two separate articles written by two separate people. Nothing has been done at the expense of anyone.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

People bias is going to effect there writing when you have opinion piece .
Which is okay once it does not get in the way of good writing which happen sometimes.
I should note before this gen started it happen way to much and the lack of WW look hurt the english speaking games media IMO.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft was raked over the coals every year the past four years until they finally started turning things around this year.
The rest of it is pure opinions. The person who wrote this article feels Sony is being complacent. He feels their PSVR support is lacking. That's not nonsense, that's how i feel. I disagree with all of this. You do too. The difference is I am not going to go out and cry "fake news media" as many in this thread are apparently all too happy to do.
You are extremely naive to trust in the integrity of gaming media.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People bias is going to effect there writing when you have opinion piece .
Which is okay once it does not get in the way of good writing which happen sometimes.
I should note before this gen started it happen way to much and the lack of WW look hurt the english speaking games media IMO.
I mean, yes, everyone, including the media, will write based on their own personal outlook.

You are extremely naive to trust in the integrity of gaming media.
As opposed to crying fake news because I disagree with it?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Do you own a PSVR? I've already got a backlog, lol.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I haven't played Detroit, probably never will

But calling it a dud is odd. It sold well, it reviewed well, people who like QD games probably enjoyed it quite a bit

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Wrong information and diminishing the best year of a platform saying all the games are the "samey" is not preference. It is clear bias.

And you imply I have preferences. What is worng I want they recognizing what both are doing right and not widespread wrong information or try to diminish a company who had it best year.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah I would love that feature too. I think they'll make it available once they get the whole streaming to smart phones in place.

That's because PS4 doesn't do BC with PS3, unfortunately. Streaming is the only possible solution as of now.

Taking everything you've said into account, this article is even more rediculous than I thought.
Oh, I'm aware, lol. Just didn't want to take the thread too far off-topic with BC talk and such.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I feel like this ludicrous comment has been somewhat overlooked.

There's a lot of big maps you unlock by climbing towers, a lot of open worlds, and a lot of action adventures. If you don't like that kind of game, the PlayStation 4 may no longer be a console for you.

This year we got DQXI, MLB The Show 18, Dragons's Crown Pro, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Astro Bot, Tetris Effect, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Persona 3 & 5 Dancing, Ni No Kuni 2, and Yakuza 6 among others. Are these all samey action adventures, too?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wrong information and diminishing the best year of a platform saying all the games are the "samey" is not preference. It is clear bias.
There is no wrong information (other than GoW releasing in April, not March), there are differing opinions. You don't need to attack the integrity of the writer to disagree with them.