• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one here is refuting that. But let's not kid ourselves in that Sea of thieves is at the same quality of what Sony put out this year. SAME WITH state of decay 2. Quality wise Forza was the only title that really sticks out, and there's been a forza game every year either it be mainline or Horizon.

Quality is subjective. Forza Horizon 4 is the best racer I've ever played and Sea of Thieves has given me the most fun gaming nights I've had since back in L4D or Halo 3, I wouldn't swap any game on any other platform for those two. I dropped SoD2 fast though, that was a dissapointment.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
While there were some interesting indies that released concurrently on the PS4 and PC, like The Swords of Ditto and Moonlighter, the response was less enthusiasm and more "when's it coming to Switch?" Swords of Ditto does not have a Switch version in the works. Moonlighter did end up on Switch. Having played both versions, it feels more at home on the Nintendo console.

Oh, it's one of these people...

I'll take my indies on the system with a proper d-pad, thanks.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think this piece is pretty bad. It comes off disingenuous and misinformed, misrepresenting a number of things. It is a perspective, it is just a crappy one.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew before I even clicked on the thread it would be more of Kotaku's usual downplaying and dismissal of PS4 related successes and Xbox related failures, but I have to admit that even then I'm shocked at the "kind of samey" and "who cares if indies are released on PS4 when they're all perfect for Switch(TM) ?" paragraph. It's the kind of thing I'd expect to see in a post on era... but in an article from a major gaming site, even Kotaku, it comes across as kind of pathetic.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to put this out there. And I know alot of people are going to like what I have to say, and that's cool. But this is the classic Underdog story. And people LOVE to root for an underdog.

All those years while the gaming community was slamming MS for practically any and everything, they effectively put MS in the corner to sink or swim. Well, MS decided to swim - despite many thinking they were just going to throw in the towel and become a 3rd party publisher. According to the internet, things were looking dire for the Xbox brand.

Phil and company got focused and made some very, very smart decisions to bring the brand back from a really bad situation. It took time but they've made it happen. Now, Xbox is on the upswing and people admire that. They admire when someone/thing comes back from almost certain annihilation or defeat, and suddenly start making changes to correct the course in a positive direction. That's the very definition of an Underdog - and its exactly whats happening at Microsoft.

I only state this because this is probably the 3rd or 4th article or report I've seen where Microsoft/Xbox are being applauded for their efforts. I agree with most points in the article, btw. Next gen Xbox is looking all kinds of Niki Minaj right now.
I agree MS has positioned itself to improve their conditions next-gen but to take next-gen doesn't make sense when you look at the many countries where the brand just doesn't resonate with them no matter how hard they try. I see an improvement in the US/UK but there is a reason why they are 45 million behind PS4. Most of the gap is coming from outside the US/UK. The xbox has brand issues world wide and that is the real problem. They will improve no doubt next gen but mostly in the west.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
When it comes to PS Now lets us not forget Nielson's data.

superdatastreamingq318-r471x.png

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news...scription-services-generated-273m-in-q3-2018/

And the service still isn't available in most countries.

If this data covers global subscriptions, that's just absurd.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if sony and nintendo just don't know how to get this kind of coverage or if they don't think it's worth it or what. It's hard for us to know how effective it really is, anyhow. Nintendo can't even get acknowledged as a competitor half the time.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ni nu Kuni 2. Astrobot as well.

Yup, plus lots of much smaller titles that might not be as standout but still add up over time.

Yup, Xbox definitely lacks Japanese support and probably a Third Person Narrative led game or two and an RPG (next gen they'll have that genre on lockdown) as well but apart from that you have all sorts: FPS, TPS, Open World, Shared World, Racing Sim, Open World Racer, RTS, Platformers, Family Games etc all coming from first party projects. And if you think of Game Pass as being central to all of their pland for next gen it's only going to get more varied with the new studios and new partners. Its easier to ignore all of that and just say Xbox has no games though :)

And as long as Xbox ups the quality in their diverse portfolio they should even be able to force Sony to keep up and branch into other genre's, so everyone wins.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I got triggered by their VR take. Sony have done an awesome job with psvr this year. All 5 nomination of best vr game are on psvr, 3 of them exclusives, not too mention Sony pushing psvr heavily with awesome bundling and price for holidays too. Nobody in their right mind would view it as negatives, but this article still have to downplay Sony's psvr effort by saying no ratchet and gow vr. With that kind of mindset, even of Sony have Ratchet and GoW VR, he will just make up some other thing to downplay psvr

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is eye opening. Reading different forums and articles like the one posted in this thread paints an entirely different picture. PSNow has more market share than EA's Origin and Microsoft's Gamepass combined.
...what!? Well that's the power of marketing i guess...i never hear much about PSNOW so even i didnt think it was like that

When it comes to the narratives formed with the gaming forum bubble, Nielsons data is a dam buster. I too was shocked that it was that lopsided because obviously I'd heard the narrative so much...

Fun fact: When this data was made available some questioned whether Nielson was biased towards Sony. I interpreted that as them being shocked too.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Plus other titles that are either also on Switch or PC but missing Xbox like.

Yakuza 6
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Dragon's Quest XI
Fist of the North Star
Tetris Effect
Borderlands 2 VR

There's more i'm sure i'm forgetting but these really help flesh out the year between the major exclusives.

Of the ones you listed 2 are currently PS4 exclusives and 1 is a PSVR timed exclusive.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Pretty much on the money.

There are a couple of Sony exclusives I'm looking forward to but apart from that, the Xbox platform has blown by them.

Deleted member 17630

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving my One X and haven't played my Pro in months. Outside of the exclusives, Xbox has become the better platform overall. Game pass is a real game changer and Xbox Live stays winning.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? PS Now existed before GP and this year they added the ability to download PS4 and PS2 games.

GP is significantly better than PSNow.

Sony just now offering downloads doesn't suddenly make PSNOW on par with GP, despite how desperate some people are to say both services are comparable.

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
My feeling is that Sony delivered this year in a big way. God of War is a GOTY winner and a brave reboot for a studio that was on the ropes. Along with that was a score of commercially and critically successful exclusives. They also continued to support PSVR with great games. We got Astro Bot and Tetris Effect this year.

On the services front we are getting name changes and cross-play. PSNOW added downloads for certain titles. The PSN store is packed to the gills with indies that I want to play.

If that is a mediocre year to Kotaku, then I am glad I have not reached that level of jaded gamer.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
They should have been even harder on Sony, for co-leading this censorship movement against anime games along with Steam.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Still find this very hard to believe, myself. PS NOW is barely marketed at all by Sony, and no one I've ever talked to even used it. It is primarily made up of old games (unlike Gamepass which offers $60 games day and date) and the majority of it's games can only streamed, which doesn't work very well for many (myself included). It also is available in very few countries. Even with Sony's massive userbase, it doesn't seem possible for them to be so dominant with this service. If they are, to the point they are making more than three times the revenue of any service, why don't they ever trumpet that fact? It is utterly bizarre to me, and leaves me very skeptical.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sony's never going to give games like God of War and Marvel's Spider-Man away day and date as part of a subscription because they sell millions and millions of copies at $60. Until economics tip the other way, this is the way it will stay.

I don't really see it as a negative personally, just a consequence of where these companies are going and the kind of content they're offering.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I hate them calling Detroit, Spiderman and GoW samey, Sony not having a single shooter this year is absolutely shocking.

I understand their plan was to release Days Gone this year, and i admire them delaying it to polish it unlike DICE, Bioware and other devs out there who rush their games out. Next year, they will have at least two shooters in TLOU and Days Gone, potentially 3 if Death Stranding comes out and Kojima decides to put some gameplay into it.

But for a first party jaggernaut like Sony who has already sold 90 million units in 5 years. Makes a billion from PS+ subs alone. Is selling exclusive games at a record pace, it is extremely disappointing to not get a FPS from them in five years. Uncharted has become their only shooter franchise which to me is crazy since its just an action adventure game.

They needed to reinvest in shooters, but they either shutdown their shooter studios (Zipper, Incognito, Guerrilla Cambridge) or outright killed franchises like Killzone and Resistance. Which would have been fine since they didnt light the charts on fire, but you cant just stop because it didnt work out. You have to keep investing, especially when you are doing well.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
GP is significantly better than PSNow.

Sony just now offering downloads doesn't suddenly make PSNOW on par with GP, despite how desperate some people are to say both services are comparable.

It really isn't. Compare the third party library if you must.

Xbox gamepass has 254 games, download only. PSNow has more than 500 games, all accesible without any download.

Two things gamepass does better is price and day one exclusives.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
When it comes to the narratives formed with the gaming forum bubble, Nielsons data is a dam buster. I too was shocked that it was that lopsided because obviously I'd heard the narrative so much...

Fun fact: When this data was made available some questioned whether Nielson was biased towards Sony. I interpreted that as them being shocked too.

Thank you for sharing the Neilsons data. You learn something new every day.

That fun fact was actually rather funny :p

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018

Xbox gamepass has 254 games, download only. PSNow has more than 500 games, all accesible without any download.

PS Now has downloads. For more than 200 titles. You are wrong.

There is no sense for Sony to put exclusives on PS NOW day one. Their games sell millions.

They make different kind of games. MS make more centric GAAS games so it is easy to put on a service.

It doesn't make sense with single player games.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that they're ignoring the original Xbox One and focus on the Xbox One X instead. Seems unfair. Try to get FH4 to run at 60fps or 4K on Xbox One.

That said, as an X owner I'm fully enjoying the current situation with the graphics, performance, BC and GamePass, haven't been this satisfied with a console in years.
But the original XB1 has certainly been collecting dust...

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
PS Now has downloads. For more than 200 titles. You are wrong.

There is no sense for Sony to put exclusives on PS NOW day one. Their games sell millions.

They make different kind of games. MS make more centric GAAS games so it is easy to put on a service.

It doesn't make sense with single player games.

You should read my comment again.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still find this very hard to believe, myself. PS NOW is barely marketed at all by Sony, and no one I've ever talked to even used it. It is primarily made up of old games (unlike Gamepass which offers $60 games day and date) and the majority of it's games can only streamed, which doesn't work very well for many (myself included). It also is available in very few countries. Even with Sony's massive userbase, it doesn't seem possible for them to be so dominant with this service. If they are, to the point they are making more than three times the revenue of any service, why don't they ever trumpet that fact? It is utterly bizarre to me, and leaves me very skeptical.

Do not take this the wrong way but your post is the definition of a forum bubble. I myself held the same belief because it was the dominant narrative on places like era and other gaming forums. Nielson as a company also certifies music/album sales both online and at retail. They're not one of the leading companies that do this, they are the gold standard in music certification. Search "Nielson Soundscan" for more info.

Their data and research is as legitimate as legitimate gets. The fact that they inadvertently put a tectonic plate sized hole in the Gamepass narrative we see all through out gaming forums showcases a problem with our perception. Where we readily rely on CEO's hyping up their products and services instead of asking for the receipts. And also Sony not giving a fuck about said PR, preferring to instead be like

giphy.gif

Behind the scenes.

That said, the fact that Sony says nothing about PSNow speaks volumes within itself.

Last edited:

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

It really is. Streaming is awful, and the downloadable selection is lacklustre at best. Sony isn't putting games like God of War or Spider-Man on there anytime soon. The gulf in the quality of the line-up is massive.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

That is not Nielson data.
I'm new here, but just from a few topics i see you already stand out with highly questionable nonsense posts all the time.

Yeah. Microsoft's 2018 lineup.

GAAS Shared open world pirate game
GAAS Co-op open world zombie game
GAAS Shared open world driving game

This is so dumb.
I wasn't talking about the 2018 lineup only.
But yeah this dumb.

Unless you want to tell us Red Dead Redemption is the same as Minecraft.
Does not even work as a hyperbole.

Last edited:

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Do not take this the wrong way but your post is the definition of a forum bubble. I myself held the same belief because it was the dominant narrative on places like era and other gaming forums. Nielson as a company also certifies music/album sales both online and at retail. They're not one of the leading companies that do this, they are the gold standard in music certification. Search "Nielson Soundscan" for more info.

Their data and research is as legitimate as legitimate gets. The fact that they inadvertently put a tectonic plate sized hole in the Gamepass narrative we see all through out gaming forums showcases a problem with our perception. Where we readily rely on CEO's hyping up their products and services instead of asking for the receipts. And also Sony not giving a fuck about said PR, preferring to instead be like

giphy.gif

Behind the scenes. That said, the fact that Sony says nothing about PSNow speaks volumes within itself.
Well, if they have found such success with it, good for them I guess. Given the awful experience I've had with game streaming myself, I'll never support it. Same for MS's Xcloud initiative.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Quality is subjective. Forza Horizon 4 is the best racer I've ever played and Sea of Thieves has given me the most fun gaming nights I've had since back in L4D or Halo 3, I wouldn't swap any game on any other platform for those two. I dropped SoD2 fast though, that was a dissapointment.

It is to an extent, but when a game like SOD 2 ships with a giant list of bugs, and sea of thieves has a huge content problem when it launched and only within the last few months has it made changes that make the game a lot more engaging and diverse.

If you compare what Sony put out, and What Nintendo put out for quality content xbox comes up short in that regard.

Oct 30, 2017
I still don't really buy into the complacency narrative of Sony.

Evidence suggests BC is coming. We have the download option for PS Now. They are continuing to support PSVR. They did an aggressive BF bundle. And their exclusives are still hard hitting. PSN name change coming, too is nice.

Unless the PS5 omits BC or is significantly weaker than the Xbox 4, I don't really see them messing up much. They just need to deliver powerful hardware for a good price point and trust in their studios.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018

...And performance. Download is the way to go, and you still have to stream on alot of the games on Sony's service which isnt very good - plus only select titles from the PS4.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It really is. Streaming is awful, and the downloadable selection is lacklustre at best. Sony isn't putting games like God of War or Spider-Man on there anytime soon. The gulf in the quality of the line-up is massive.
Yup. Until Sony starts putting their first party exclusives on the service day one, and getting quality 3rd party games like Ashen, Below and Void Bastards to launch on the service, Game Pass is in another league.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
The Ps4 article is written with a glass half empty state of mind.
The Xbox article is written with a glass half full state of mind.

But its Kotaku, so whatever....

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread shouldn't be about system wars ... It should be about how the author of the article performed a terrible analysis - it seems more like a forum post versus an expert review of the year for each console.

I hope all the systems do well, and I hate how tribal we get as gamers in that we feel that in order to support one company we have to denigrate another. Competent competitors make things better for consumers.