• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
In a new tweet by David Jaffe (Director of God of War and Creative Director of God of War II), mentions that the whole iconic character was bisexual in the planning stages.

"David Jaffe" said:
Oh, and one more thing: not to get all JK Rowling but when I was working on the origins of Kratos for the first games I knew he was a raging bi-sexual until he settled down with his wife. So Kratos is officially bi. Oh and the Oracle from GOW1? Lesbian, straight up! Boom!

Ughhh, I knew it! Happy Pride month y'all!

Last edited:

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Well he is a Spartan, so that totally makes sense. I'd always wondered how close he was to that one soldier who followed him in God of War 2.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol okay. If I had to guess which video game characters were bisexual, Kratos wouldn't be in the top 100.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Haha my first thought was JK Rowling, but Jaffe already has that covered.

But this whole "my character was actually gay/bi the whole time, I just never wrote a single line of dialogue to indicate that in a decade worth of games despite him having a ton of sex with women" is a bit lame.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Even if he is, and sure OK, no problem there...Jaffe has no creative control over Kratos anymore and should really just stay the hell away from him.

Oct 27, 2017
It does come out of nowhere but it makes sense when you think about it. He is a Spartan after all.

Cool to have more representations for bi people. Especially from an icon like Kratos.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Pre-empting your callouts doesn't make them less true. He is getting all JK Rowling

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Jaffe really has 0 control over the current canon. Also he's an alt right fuckhead. I hate the notion of "He's gay/bi but we will never show it because $$$$"

Clarification — It was done to own the homophobes.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That tweet was just meant to piss homophobes off but after seeing the positive response he's open to seeing a bisexual kratos made official.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
He's a Spartan, it'd be more shocking if he wasn't. Even if this is a dumbass Jk Rowling level retcon, saying a Spartan was Bi isn't anything lol. Like even homophobes should know that

Sep 14, 2018
Neat. It doesn't need to be represented in the games for it to be true. Though it would have been cool had it been for representation purposes.

Jun 14, 2018
Usually I'm against this type of "it's not in the books, it's not in the movies but it's canon because of Twitter" bullshit, but he is from Ancient Greece so it's kinda believable.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Greek where very horny
People are confusing the whole gender norms of today with the Ancient Greek standards. And by our standards, even if it was a little more accepting it was still very homophobic.

A. It was all about giver and receiver, like alot of ancient cultures. It's true, the apparent "man" in the relationship wasn't really looked down upon, but the person who was viewed on the bottom sure as hell received a massive social stigma.
B. It was viewed instead of being part of a persons identity, it was fetishistic. They didn't view it as being "gay", but having something "unusual" on the side. Which is very homophobic.
C. Another very problematic view was massive toxic masculinity. That men should be intimate with other men because woman are too unmanly, and "good only for breeding". Some of Hitler's earlier supporters took this view and were inspired by the Ancient Greeks. Again, extremely sexist.

On the topic itself, I don't mind, but it has never been brought up before.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I mean, they're Greeks, who were the OG pansexuals. My understanding is that it was more of a 'side piece' scenario, though. I don't know how many Greek men married their male lovers though I would presume that wasn't common or accepted. Kratos also plays into the male power fantasy, so there was always an elemental of fraternal/ ideal attraction to him, too.

A bit of a rambling aside: I recently started going to Long Island—a kinda fancy gentleman's store here in Canada—for their barbershop services, and there's this sense of a caring, but still strongly masculine culture, where men are pampering and prettying each other and hugely accepting of each other's bodies and even sexualities without being embarrassed or in any way uncomfortable. My partner and I go there, and they know we're married and the barbers (and owner) engage us about our lives and relationship (and vice versa) while clearly being cis normative, bearded barbers. In this generation, there's something beautiful happening to men and the spaces they share where they can bond and nurture each other—aspects of 'traditional' masculinity, without the toxicity or aggression—without feeling as if they're emasculated.

Edit: Annoying how he's now turned it into a joke. Either make a stand or fuck off.

Last edited:

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Given how non of it is really reflected in the game,

z3zyaxuyrgy21.jpg

maybe they can add something in the next game.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Haha my first thought was JK Rowling, but Jaffe already has that covered.

But this whole "my character was actually gay/bi the whole time, I just never wrote a single line of dialogue to indicate that in a decade worth of games despite him having a ton of sex with women" is a bit lame.
Yep. It's great to subvert expectations and have some good rep with Kratos this way, but it would have been a lot cooler to actually indicate it in some way instead of shoving it in after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.