• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I seriously cant believe this is happening. I'm tearing up now as more and more deaths, the number keeps increasing. KyoAni is an industry leader having created legacy series and treats their workers well.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder to stay away from baseless speculation about the cause of the attack. That's how rumors get started and we don't need those. We'll know soon enough.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really saddened to hear this.
Theyare on of the best studios out there. Not only in terms of quality of shows but also how they treat their employees.
Unlike nearly every other studio, most of their stuff is in house and they pay their workers a regular salary and not on per-cell basis.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm still in some sense of delayed shock or something. i can't deal with this. so many people dead in this utterly horrible way.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Why the fuck are they getting death threats over their anime shows? Any person have any idea?

KyoAni has a lot of great shows, some of the best in the business.

They also made a lot of Visual Novel adaptations and moe shows and arguably made popular the "Cute girls doing cute things in a slice of life" subgenre.

If they're getting hate mail it's possible over stupid shit like pairing wars. But I haven't been following their shows in ages so I have no idea what the latest stupid shit is.

That said it's not confirmed that the death threats for their shows has anything to do with this arson.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Horrible, horrible news. Kyo-ani is one of my favorite studios and this is truly shocking.

RIP to the victims and hopefully the rest are safe.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hell. This is a studio that brought me much joy with their works.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Condolences from Key (the company behind the Air, Kanon, Clannad, etc VNs):

Edit: Another one from Takarajimasha, the publisher of the Sound! Euphonium novels:

Last edited:

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm devastated. The numbers become increasingly more terrifying and there's obviously still a lot of uncertainty remaining. That's so many deaths and injuries...

And of all places, it's the animation studio with the far best working conditions in the industry by miles.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
Simply barbaric. The same place that gave me Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. It boggles the mind of why you would go to such extremes.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
One of my favorite studios.

This is shocking and heartbreaking. RIP to the victims and hope the employees and families find peace.

Fuck aronists.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
I just want to highlight something

iWxW6AZ.jpg

Apparently, the building is lacking an emergency exit. as a result where the arsonist burn both entrances on the ground floor. people on top floor don't have a way to exit other than jumping from balcony/window. Hopefully there is a lesson to be learned here in increasing building safety standard

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

iWxW6AZ.jpg

Apparently, the building is lacking an emergency exit. as a result where the arsonist burn both entrances on the ground floor. people on top floor don't have a way to exit other than jumping from balcony/window. Hopefully there is a lesson to be learned here in increasing building safety standard
2019 and not having emergency exits? how in the world

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

iWxW6AZ.jpg

Apparently, the building is lacking an emergency exit. as a result where the arsonist burn both entrances on the ground floor. people on top floor dont have a way to exit other than jumping from balcony/window.

If I had to guess, it's probably result of it being an older building, which only likely had minor revisions?

Though, I'm unsure what the fire code regulations in Japan are, so not sure if this is common. Someone who lives there and/or more familiar with the laws/regulations probably be able to chime in on this.

Still, that's... unfortunate. Sigh....

EDIT: I need to say this. Quite a number of Japanese followers and people whom I follow, have been absolutely devastated by this. Animators, artists, manga authors, etc. People I do stuff with at Discotek, a number of other anime industry folk, even non-Japanese animators, have all commented on this and it's just shocked them.

We're all in absolute disbelief here. I don't know what to say, other than offer my condolences.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If I had to guess, it's probably result of it being an older building, which only likely had minor revisions?

Though, I'm unsure what the fire code regulations in Japan are, so not sure if this is common. Someone who lives there and/or more familiar with the laws/regulations probably be able to chime in on this.

Still, that's... unfortunate. Sigh....
If I'm correct, I believe that is a newer building that they built in 2017.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
This is really horrific. They're such a talented studio and seemed to have a great passion for their work.
RIP to those lost and thoughts with the injured and families.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

iWxW6AZ.jpg

Wow, that's really messed up.

Oct 27, 2017

iWxW6AZ.jpg

Can the architect get sued?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

iWxW6AZ.jpg

If I'm correct, I believe that is a newer building that they built in 2017.
That's just truly crazy and bizarre, how can such a modern building not have emergency exits especially considering the danger of nature disasters and such. Now something horrific like this happens, christ.

Edit:
No, you're thinking about the new shop/kohata studio 5 building.
Ok so the building is not a newer one then, still extremely irresponsible to not have such safety measures in place.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

iWxW6AZ.jpg

Unbelievable.

Reading this news I was wondering how so many couldn't escape and that would probably explain it. I just... if they really had no emergency exits then that cost a lot of lives. This day will hopefully make a major impact in changing/preventing awful building designs like that.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
From what I've seen of the building it should be possible to jump and survive from the 2nd floor balcony and windows, maybe the fire got big fast from below and the people inside panicked. But who knows :/

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this is horrible... so many people dead :/ KyoAni was such a great house consistently putting out very human and positive work...

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
2019 and not having emergency exits? how in the world

This is Japan, so unfortunately I am not surprised. I lived there more than 7 years and I was always baffled by how workers well-being and safety is often disregarded. It is part of a much broader society problem.

I am really sorry for this tragedy. I do not know much about anime as I am not a fan at all, but I've met several people working in this industry and all were doing it primarily by passion. I wish a lot of courage to the survivors, and the families and friends of the people involved.