• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
No back ups at all?
I thought this was more of a HQ place for meetings.

it's studio #1, it's the primary production facility. HQ is in uji.

This misleadingly named studio (it's not even a decade old, hardly their first studio) is the place where most of the production occurs. Multiple directors, animation directors, key animators, in-betweeners, digital painters, the art department, the photography team, the AV room containing the master monitor… It contains more departments and kinds of artists than the vast majority of studios have at all. If you've seen pictures of KyoAni's workplace chances are they were set in there, whether it was staff meetings or animators at work. The staff switches locations every now and then to form the teams that work best for whichever project they're handling, but Studio 1 tends to house big names like Naoko Yamada. It's their only building technically within the city of Kyoto's boundaries; while they're only one train station away, the rest of the buildings are literally around the same street within walking distance in north Uji.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017

Someone with better Japanese can correct me on this if I'm wrong, I'd maybe caution about reading too much into what specifically has been lost here. I do believe that their physical archives - past genga, settei, storyboards and all - we stored in that building and therefore presumably destroyed, but when it comes to the computer comment I'm not sure there's anything in the article that implies more than the fact that the computer hardware they keep on site has been destroyed, and nothing at all about any kind of loss of digital archives.

Now, that's not exactly a small loss for the company - I believe it's the site where they did all the photography and compositing work - but it doesn't mean any digital work the studio has done over it's lifetime has necessarily been lost.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I'm still hoping they do have at least digital backups in their other studios of their finished shows and materials, considering they do work across the studios and natural disaster possibilities.

I think physical stuff like storyboards, sketches, computers, local files in the studio are probably gone due to the size of the fire, but there are still hope for the digital medias. I just wanna be optimistic :(

Hoping they just haven't addressed yet as the lives of the survivors are probably more important matter for them for now.

*edit* agree with what DiGiKerot said above.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Hatta isn't saying that all their current work is gone or destroyed. He is lamenting the loss of studio culture and legacy from the fire because all the design materials and original animation sheets from their past works which were stored in the studio are gone forever now.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Update from Japan today regarding situations and about the condition of the suspect.

Japan today "More details emerge about anime studio arson attack"

Japan Times article Updated

I didn't want to speculate in advance of more details, but this "stole a novel" bit is much more along the lines of what I was expecting the "ripoff" (or whatever it was) comment would mean vs that train photography thing.

For context, KyoAni's held light novel contests where the winners can be published by them and potentially animated.

Last edited:

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
soooo...just read a report that there was apparently no fire hydrants or sprinklers in the building...surely that's not true??? That is terrible if true...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just heard about this. Absolute horrible news.

My condolences to the families of those lost and I hope the bastard that did this pays.

Oct 26, 2017
Man, this sucks. Are Japanese media companies still reluctant to or behind the times in backing up their work? Or is Kyoto an outlier here?
I think most small-to-medium companies are like that, not only in Japan. Why bothering doing remote backups. And a studio like Kyoani was a small to medium company, they had less than 200 employees.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Don't know about fire hydrants but the building was below the requirements for a mandated sprinkler system.

dang...i mean, this is completely not kyoto animations fault, but given the nature of animation, electricity use during the process, etc. you would think having a good anti-fire system would be a concern and priority.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
dang...i mean, this is completely not kyoto animations fault, but given the nature of animation, electricity use during the process, etc. you would think having a good anti-fire system would be a concern and priority.
Shit, don't know if you misinterpreted me or not: The building did not legally require a sprinkler system, but would've if it had an extra floor.

But yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if Japan's firecode gets tightened up after this.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is a massive loss for the studio. I hope whoever is left can manage to move on and bounce back somehow.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Shit, don't know if you misinterpreted me or not: The building did not legally require a sprinkler system, but would've if it had an extra floor.

But yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if Japan's firecode gets tightened up after this.

i mean sure it didn't legally require one but it seems like a sprinkler system should have been in place. i mean just look: not only lives lost (which is the most important thing, of course), all of their production materials are gone too.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Statement from the UN:

UN chief António Guterres said on Friday he was "deeply saddened" at the death of at least 33 people inside a popular Japanese animation studio, in the city of Kyoto, following an arson attack that constitutes one of the worst mass-killings in the nation's history.

"The Secretary-General is deeply saddened by the loss of life caused by the arson attack and fire in Kyoto", said a statement issued by the UN Spokesperson's Office. "He extends his condolences to the families of the victims and to the people and the Government of Japan. He wishes those injured a swift recovery."

Mr. Guterres added that "in this tragic moment, the United Nations stands in full solidarity with the Government and people of Japan."

And the president of Taiwan:

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking awful. I'm not too familiar with their work that I know of, but this is a tragedy. RIP to all who lost their lives.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, this sucks. Are Japanese media companies still reluctant to or behind the times in backing up their work? Or is Kyoto an outlier here?

That's small business problems 101, especially when the owners don't really keep track of technology or are excited by mundane technological advances like cloud and automated backups. I work in a land development firm where our offices would burn down in a similar fashion from the sheer amount of paper we use. The progerssive part of the industry more or less do our work via CAD but we still hand draw a lot of our plans because my boss believes that he can calculate and draft plans faster and more accurately with pencils and a 40 year old HP calculator. We're in Australia, the boss is Anglican and a lot of the "old boys" are pretty similar and set in their ways.

Its a big reason why ransomware is such a huge problem for SMB because so many of them have really inadequate IT and data storage processes as well as the belief that nothing bad could ever happen. Its fortunate that I'm pretty IT literate and know the ABCs of backups that the few ransomware attacks we've had basically do nothing but introduce 4 hours of downtime.

For more conservative workplaces like those in Japan, they're going to keep whatever methods and processes are established because its what they know. I'm really not surprised if they didn't adopt rigorous backup methods.

Last edited:

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point they'll probably just contract everything out to freelancers or other animation companies.

They'll have to. Their main production studio was totaled, 20% of their labor force was murdered, and ptobably another 15-20% were hospitalized with burn injuries, which could mean debilitating nerve damage, potentially career death sentences to animators.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Hatta isn't saying that all their current work is gone or destroyed. He is lamenting the loss of studio culture and legacy from the fire because all the design materials and original animation sheets from their past works which were stored in the studio are gone forever now.
The constant mistranslations and misunderstandings being reposted or filtered around the internet make this story especially hard to follow. I mean that's par for course in regards to news out of Japan, but obviously much worse in this scenario.

Oct 25, 2017
MikeHattsu ended up finding your blog by accident due to the tragic news. Just wanted to show appreciation for it, it was an unexpected source of joy for me now. It warmed my heart seeing the pictures from some of my KyoAni favorites.

For those who are also unfamiliar with it, as I was:

Mike posts pictures from the real life locations that are used in some anime, and they're very well framed to match, it's really cool if you're a fan of the franchises.

It's incredible to see how much character they inject into mundane environments through their use of lighting. It was also very surprising to see those trees that are expertly used to isolate Shoya in that conversation with Ueno are actually real. Using scenery to convey the character's inner thoughts is already quite smart, but seeing real life scenery and having that idea is maybe even more impressive.

silent-74m17s.png

silent-74m17s.jpg

I love KyoAni so much. :(

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I am still utterly depressed about this. I can not believe it got went up to 33 dead incredibly sad in any context. I donated to the gofundme so I hope it's legit I hope sentai filmworks does do what they claim. It's also sad that this will forever change Koyoto Animation. They are such an incredible studio. This is all such a massive loss no matter how you look at it.

Oct 25, 2017
Free!! franchise was life changing and impactful and one of the best shows packed with so much heart. Saddened for such a blow and loss to the folks and their companions who were responsible for bringing it to life.

Wishing the best of everything to their family friends and associates in this time of loss tragedy and great difficulty.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Darn it, I come back to this thread to see the death toll rise to 34. So many lives lost for no reason. I hope the remaining survivors to recover and make it through this.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Darn it, I come back to this thread to see the death toll rise to 34. So many lives lost for no reason. I hope the remaining survivors to recover and make it through this.
They are going to be emotionally and mentally scarred. The company could be done for, but for now I hope they pull through. There's going to be a lot of restructuring.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
They are going to be emotionally and mentally scarred. The company could be done for, but for now I hope they pull through. There's going to be a lot of restructuring.
I'd imagine at least Studio Animation Do could spin off into its own thing once again since their facility and specific staff were not part of the main studio iirc. Though I'd imagine they'll be hit hard emotionally as will everyone else with ties to the company.

The GoFundMe has now passed the $1.5 Million mark too. Hoping their figuring out the logistics of things. https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal
6yDtFtf.png

They've doubled the original goal. Shouldn't they update the goal amount? or how does that work with GFM? I know I've seen campaigns were the total goal value seems to be revised as they keep hitting the target.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'd imagine at least Studio Animation Do could spin off into its own thing once again since their facility and specific staff were not part of the main studio iirc. Though I'd imagine they'll be hit hard emotionally as will everyone else with ties to the company.

The GoFundMe has now passed the $1.5 Million mark too. Hoping their figuring out the logistics of things. https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal
6yDtFtf.png

They've doubled the original goal. Shouldn't they update the goal amount? or how does that work with GFM? I know I've seen campaigns were the total goal value seems to be revised as they keep hitting the target.
I really hope that all the support makes them a stronger company. To prove the asshole that did this wrong and deny him the satisfaction of taking them down.

Oct 25, 2017

6yDtFtf.png

The original goal was actually 500k, so it's definitely possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason to change the final goal value? I am not familiar with how GoFundMe works in that regard. But I'm curious as to why you would do so to begin with.
I have to imagine people are more likely to donate to help reach a goal than if it's already over it. Thought since it's still going strong, it's also possible they think this isn't stopping people and won't bother updating it anymore.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
警察は19日夜、病院に搬送されて手当てを受けていた男性1人が死亡したと発表しました。

この事件で死亡した人は34人となり、34人が重軽傷を負いました。

Another death occured in a hospital on 19th night Total now 34 dead, 34 wounded

また目撃者によりますと「作品をパクられた。社長を呼べ。社長に話がある」などと怒った様子で話していたいうことです。

警察によりますと、青葉容疑者は京都アニメーションで仕事をしたことはなく、小説を出版するなどした事実も確認されていないということです。

The motive as claimed by the suspect was because they "stole" a novel of his, and wanted to talk to the president of Kyoani
According to witness statement

According to the police press report, the suspect has never worked at Kyoani, and they haven't found any evidence that he has published any novel.

But they are continueing investigating at this time to find a reason.

Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing is so tragic and sad for a studio whose work has given such joy to so many people, its really heartbreaking to have this inflicted on all the people that worked there. Nothing but absolutely vile and terrible wishes for the perpetrator though- I can only imagine how terrible it would have been for the poor people that died and those injured/still fighting for survival. Prayers go out to everyone associated with Kyoani.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
This scumbag isn't going to be responsible for destroying a company in one day is he? Can KyoAni survive this?