• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
How to support KyoAni
  • peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
    California
    if anyone wants to donate to kyoani, I would suggest doing this, the sentai fundraiser is not officially affiliated with kyoani and it's not confirmed whether they can/will accept the money at all

NHK explanation of the fire
  • SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
    Earth
    Ugh some people are just evil. :|

I hope they will get to save that arsonist and bring him to court.

Based on SilentPanda's post, I guess the whole entrance area was burned, and the people upstairs were trapped; I'm curious as to why the victims on the 2nd floor couldn't go to the balcony and escape from there, maybe the fire/smoke got there too quick. The victims on the 3rd floor probably tried to get to the roof and it was either locked or the fire/smoke got them too :\

Here is the transcript of the broadcast by the expert on NHK

NHK had former fire investigator for police and CSI Professor Haeito Keizo explain

"1階の窓が壊れて飛散していることから、1階部分で爆燃現象、爆発現象が起きたと思われる。2階と3階は外壁が焼け落ちたような状況がみられるため、非常に温度の高い状況が、それも短時間で発生したと推定される。これらの状況からガソリンのような液体がまかれて着火し、急速な火災が起こったと思われる "

From the first floor window and debris spread, it is concluded that the first floor had an explosion occur, and the extensive damage to the outer wall of the 2nd and 3rd floor, show that it was very high temperture, so it is likely that an liquid like gasoline or other was used to start and make the fire bigger"

通常の火災は室内の温度が1000度以上は上がらないが、ガソリンは場合によって1500度まで上昇する。これは鉄が溶けるような熱さで火炎を浴びただけで息ができなくなる。爆発現象が起きた1階では、状況が分からないまま人々が火炎に包まれ、2階と3階にいた人たちは爆発音は聞いていると思うが、何がなんだかわからないまま炎と煙に襲われて、逃げ場を失ったと思われる

Normal fire inside a building don't reach temperature over 1000 degree, but gasoline fire can reach over 1500 degree, able to melt metal at that temperture it is impossible to breath, people on the first floor was perished quickly, 2nd and 3rd floor heard the explosion, but before had time to reach, the fire and smoke came, and they didn't had time to run/react.

ガソリンは着火と同時に火炎が数メートル上がるなど、通常とは比較にならないスピードで炎が広がるので、おそらく火災報知器が鳴る時間も、防火扉が作動する時間もないぐらい勢いよく燃え広がったと思われる。火が出てからでは逃げるのは困難で、建物内の入退室の管理や荷物のチェックなどのセキュリティー強化が必要だ」と指摘しています。

Due to the unatural speed and spread of the fire, likely rising a few meter after igniting so spreading very fast, there wasn't time for the fire alarm and fire door to activate, making escape impossible, the only secure way now is to increase checking of personal item and coming in and out of building.

New Laws
  • OP
    OP
    Twingsy

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
    Moon
    Per Kyodo News' English edition, Japan will change laws because of the attack, making ID checks compulsory when buying gasoline.

The Fire and Disaster Management Agency will revise an ordinance and oblige gas stations and other sellers to conduct ID checks and ask customers the reason for the purchase, possibly starting next February, the officials said. The agency in July requested all gasoline sellers to check buyers' IDs on a voluntary basis. But as customers declined in some cases, the businesses demanded that the agency make it compulsory.

Arrest
  • OP
    OP
    Twingsy

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
    Moon
    Police in Japan have arrested the suspect in the deadly arson attack on the Kyoto Animation studio in July of last year. [...] Aoba Shinji was arrested at a hospital where he had been receiving treatment for burns to his entire body. The 42-year-old man is suspected of setting gasoline alight in the Kyoto studio on July 18. [...] Police say Aoba has admitted the allegation is true. [...]

He was caught near the scene after setting fire to the studio. He shouted that his novel had been stolen. Police have since learned that Aoba sent at least two novels as part of a contest to Kyoto Animation. But the company said his works did not pass the screening. Aoba himself was seriously injured. It appears Aoba is unable to walk and was carried on a stretcher from the hospital to the police station. Police say that along with treatment taking more time than expected, the coronavirus also postponed his arrest. [...]

The 42-year-old unemployed man from Minuma, Saitama reportedly admitted to the charges and said, "I thought I'd be able to kill many people if I used gasoline."

Source, Source 2