shinken

Oct 27, 2017

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm saying they shouldn't make extra profit compared to the PS4 and XB1 just because the switch version costs more. They should make the same exact profit per sale.

What makes you think they're earning more?

What makes you think publishers don't earn more from PS4 games than they do on Xbox One?

What makes you think publishers don't earn more from digital sales than they do from physical?

Do you see what I'm getting at?

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's horse shit. I assumed with the Switch tax they'd at least be using the bigger carts to fit the entire game.

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
No thx. I will never support crap like that. As a collector these game carts will be useless when the servers go down. Luckily I only care about Nintendo's first party output and their games are usually small and fit on a cart.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
If we want the 3rd party support we gotta deal with this, they really need more capable cards.
They've got big enough cards, the problem is the cost. Nintendo either needs to ramp up production on higher capacity cartridges or negotiate some kind of cartridge subsidy with big third party releases or else this switch tax is gonna kill the momentum before it starts.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeap right now the ship sailed and the Nintendo choose was bad.

I meant Nintendo could choose a better storage for Switch before release... maybe some proprietary cards specific made designed by Nintendo could be cheaper like previous Nintendo systems.

There are a lot of room for a better storage system to be choose before the Switch release.

They messed for all sides: consumers, publishers and developers.
Proprietary storage cards? Like the Vita?

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

What makes you think publishers don't earn more from PS4 games than they do on Xbox One?

What makes you think publishers don't earn more from digital sales than they do from physical?

This is not what I'm saying. If it costs $10 more to make the game on switch, they should only charge $10 more, not $15.

publishers do earn more in both those cases, for different reasons. 1) for cost parity at the industry baseline ($60/$40 in this case), and in the second case, physical retailers demand they don't discount digital games which cost less because they will stop carrying their products

If the Switch were to cost less to make, I'd say just make the cost the same as the other platforms. Instead it costs more, and they push it even higher and attempt to gain money off that fact, which is greedy

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I mean what if they need a double switch tax to have the entire game on a card. Would anyone actually pay $20 more for the complete version?

Few people would likely do that. That's a problem for Nintendo.

They've got big enough cards, the problem is the cost. Nintendo either needs to ramp up production on higher capacity cartridges or negotiate some kind of cartridge subsidy with big third party releases or else this switch tax is gonna kill the momentum before it starts.

It really may make sense for them to do something like that. Give 3rd parties a break on the platform royalty if they use a cart above 16GB. Don't really expect them to though.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I mean what if they need a double switch tax to have the entire game on a card. Would anyone actually pay $20 more for the complete version?

The 16GB-Card adds not 10$ to the price, this is ridiculous, even the 32GB card would not add 10$.

It's simply that the Switch is a new console and some publishers like to add extra money to prices of games for a new system.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking about the price of the cart + packaging + shipping + licensing fees, $20 for a 32gb cart seems reasonable.

But that isn't a particularly useful figure, because the publisher has to pay for shipping and licensing ANYWAY regardless of the cart size. The real question is, how much more does a 32gb cart cost in comparison to, say, 8gb, since that seems to be the standard.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeap right now the ship sailed and the Nintendo choose was bad.

I meant Nintendo could choose a better storage for Switch before release... maybe some proprietary cards specific made designed by Nintendo could be cheaper like previous Nintendo systems.

There are a lot of room for a better storage system to be choose before the Switch release.

They messed for all sides: consumers, publishers and developers.

How could a proprietary card ever be cheaper, assuming you're talking about in place of a standard microSD card? And the game cards themselves are proprietary if that's what you're talking about.

There really is no better option here. Even a standard SD card reader wouldn't have worked due to the lack of space in the internals of the machine. I don't see how they could've given it a better storage solution without also raising the price prohibitively.

If we're talking about the price of the cart + packaging + shipping + licensing fees, $20 for a 32gb cart seems reasonable.

But that isn't a particularly useful figure, because the publisher has to pay for shipping and licensing ANYWAY regardless of the cart size. The real question is, how much more does a 32gb cart cost in comparison to, say, 8gb, since that seems to be the standard.

Based on the reports in this thread it seems like 8GB (plus licensing, shipping, packaging) would be about equivalent with a standard Blu-Ray, which is "a few dollars". Let's assume that's somewhere between $3 and $5. So a 32GB card would be an increase of $15-17 just for the added storage space alone. *

That's pretty crazy.

*Obviously all of this is 100% guesswork and I don't know any real numbers.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo better start with bigger card sizes manufacturing because this can become a common problem.

I mean, make the big cards the default cards, even if you don't need them, more production, less costs.

Yeah for sure, I think we'll be seeing more of this particular headline over the course of the Switch's lifespan.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
The 16GB-Card adds not 10$ to the price, this is ridiculous, even the 32GB card would not add 10$.

It's simply that the Switch is a new console and some publishers like to add extra money to prices of games for a new system.
We already have Zhuge letting us know that the cost of a 32gb card is over $20. Whereas a Bluray costs the same no matter how much of the disc you utilize. Also we have small companies adding $10 onto 8gb cards because of the economics and print run sizes. Just because some companies are eating the extra costs doesn't mean it ridiculous. Each version of the game is a separate project so the costs and profit have to be tracked for each version. If the PS4 and XBO versions are making a 20% profit and the Switch drops that down to 3% some companies will raise the sale price to bring that closer to parity.

Based on the reports in this thread it seems like 8GB (plus licensing, shipping, packaging) would be about equivalent with a standard Blu-Ray, which is "a few dollars". Let's assume that's somewhere between $3 and $5. So a 32GB card would be an increase of $15-17 just for the added storage space alone. *

That's pretty crazy.

*Obviously all of this is 100% guesswork and I don't know any real numbers.

If you believe Linder he said that the 8gb is more expensive then a Bluray so I think that may not be true.

I hope Nintendo takes action soon. I can't believe with all the effort they took to get 3rd parties on the switch they oversee the issue with 32gb cardridges.

I am sorry to tell you this but Nintendo is the one suggesting companies use 8gb cards with mandatory downloads so I doubt there will be any sort of crackdown.

DoubleG

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Any chances this game will get a reprint in a year or two on a bigger cardridge?

I prefer physical copies over digital (for collection and resell) so digital is not an option for me.

I'm curious how big the save files will be for this. If nba 2k18 needs 5gb, how much more will a game like la noire need?

And 10$ extra under this circumstances is outrageous.
I really want to support 3rd parties on the switch but some of them are really making it hard.
It's like "let's do this as f****up as possible so we have an excuse for not making more games when it's not selling well".
Like ea deciding the demand on the switch with FIFA only.

I hope Nintendo takes action soon. I can't believe with all the effort they took to get 3rd parties on the switch they oversee the issue with 32gb cardridges.

Last edited:

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Rockstar. I'm not supporting this.

They could have used higher capacity cartridges. Of course they would be more expensive for them to produce, but with all the millions they earned with GTA V, they can afford it.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Few people would likely do that. That's a problem for Nintendo.

It really may make sense for them to do something like that. Give 3rd parties a break on the platform royalty if they use a cart above 16GB. Don't really expect them to though.

I wonder if that's why they are the Publisher for Doom and Skyrim. Still, they would need something else as they aren't going to be able to publish ever title, nor would all Third Parties want them to I would imagine.

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2K EA WB you all are doing great with the Switch yet it seems so effortless like you are not even trying.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I thought he didn't specify whether or not that was including the shipping/packaging/licensing.

The person he responded to was including everything so I believe he was as well.

I wonder if that's why they are the Publisher for Doom and Skyrim. Still, they would need something else as they aren't going to be able to publish ever title, nor would all Third Parties want them to I would imagine.

I didn't think about that. That would be one way they could incentive publishers to release on larger cards. They wouldn't have to charge themselves the same price they would an outside publisher.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
You know, I was REALLY actually planning on buy this one...... But nah. Nope. Whatsoever. This is nonsense.

Guess I'll be waiting for Dragon Marked For Death when it hits this winter.

Deleted member 62

Content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Aw crud. Besides BotW I am all digital on Switch with only 80-90 gigs of free space left now to day 1 download Doom, Rime, L.A Noire, Rocket League, Skyrim, Xenoblade, and various indies. Will probably need to get the 400 gig SD card soon...

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV

This post is exactly right. I'm not siding with 2k or anything, but there are a lot of reactionary posts here. The fault here is Nintendo. I love the Switch, too, but just because it's the industry darling right now, we can't ignore that this issue is an old Nintendo-specific problem dressed up in a new skin. Nintendo wants to control the storage medium, minimize piracy, and production costs. Because Nintendo doesn't traditionally make games that are 32gb+, they're really not thinking about 3rd parties that demand much more space. Their solution is to tell 3rd parties to "optimize better".

The reason that they've been courting indies so aggressively is because, like Nintendo, they tend to make smaller games that fit more in line with the company's production philosophies.

The problem we're running into here is that Nintendo finally has a piece of hardware that a.) has pretty much caught up with current tech enough to make respectable ports, b.) has the form factor to play those ports, and c.) is in high demand such that it has captured the interest of both fans and 3rd parties.

Unfortunately, Nintendo has no problem riding the wave of that enthusiasm, but has little interest in changing its philosophy with regards to how games are made and distributed on the system. They've created something, for better or worse, which has allowed them to remain financially stable despite the turmoils of an industry that dips on a whim.

You can't fault Take 2 for using the 16gb carts due to the price of the 32carts being SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive. It's unlikely that Take 2's intent is to milk Switch customers. It's reasonable for a company to budget for similar relative profit margins in comparison to an IPs release on other platforms. To that end, there's no way Take 2 is going to shoulder the extra cost of the carts when their physical carts have to be priced competitively. None of the 3rd parties will, and none should be *expected* to take the 32 bit option until costs go down.

Also, please remember that the Switch cart tax is set by Nintendo, not 3rd parties. That extra 10 bucks? That's on Nintendo.

The reason that this whole thing sucks is that for people who say, "I'll just download this on my giant SD card". It'll only take a few AAA 3rd party releases to fill up a 200 GB SD card at this rate. I planned to buy Skyrim, Doom, and LA Noir on cart because I can't afford to pay $200.00 more just for SD storage on my switch.

There's no 'win' here. It sucks for 3rd parties because there's nothing but negative results in splitting your game and forcing people to either download 32 gigs or buy a physical cart for MORE money that still requires and INSANE download to play the full game. What 3rd party wants that?? From that perspective, I can totally see why they'd be hesitant to develop for Nintendo despite Switch's positive buzz.

But more importantly, look at how this affects Nintendo. They can shrug their shoulders at the whole thing because what do they care? They're selling systems. Their first party games and ports will always meet hardware storage requirements, and they can fill their catalogues with high-end indies. Sure, they'll have some third party developers, but it will fall on those developers to take all the heat and risk of developing on the platform.

And no, there's NO WAY Nintendo is going to front the bill for all of the AAA 3rd party devs who want to make ports for Switch. That eats into Nintendo's margins.

And for those of you who argue that it's in Nintendo's best interest to do so, to endear good will to 3rd parties AND fans... think about that. What does Nintendo benefit by getting a Call of Duty or Battlefield on their platform? Not when the audience who plays those games are graphics hounds who will use the Switch's deficiencies to smear the system.

It would be smarter for them to only shoulder those costs with games that specifically benefit them. Like a Destiny or some other HUGE IP that is more about the social experience than the gfx fidelity.

Nintendo has put themselves in a very interesting position - and I'm saying this as a SWITCH lover and apologist.

Fans might have to alter their expectations for year 2 of Switch if this trend continues. There aren't too many 3rd parties that will enjoy looking like the bad guy for making these kinds of decisions.

That said, for indies? The SWITCH is a DREAM situation of perfect hardware, perfect timing, and out of control AAA budgets.

2018 is gonna be wild.

Last edited:

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I can't give out actual numbers.

But what I can say is that Nintendo charges a certain amount for the cart. A certain amount for the license fee. A certain amount for packaging etc...
That's all bundled into one cost the publisher pays.
It's the same with Sony and Microsoft. Except blu-ray discs cost a couple of dollars whereas carts cost a lot more.
Would you happen to know around when will 32 GB carts will go down in price? 2018? 2019?

Cand

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You do realize that the company being greedy and disrespectful is Nintendo, right?

This isn't Rockstar's fault by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think so. If cards are more expensive the fact that nintendo is not cutting costs does not make the decision of R* buying cheaper cards, asking $10 more and putting the rest of the download on eshop Nintendo's fault in any way. They could put the game only on eshop for example. They are choosing to launch retail, they've chose the card model and they've set the price. I fail to see why that especific business decision is nintendo's fault.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This would not be a problem that big If switch came with at least 100GB of internal storage, but... Nintendo gotta Nintendo.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
This would not be a problem that big If switch came with at least 100GB of internal storage, but... Nintendo gotta Nintendo.

How much would that switch have cost at retail?

Even if you if we are generous and say an extra $20-40 there would of been people going crazy.

The price it is now still had people going crazy.

HHGaming

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

THIS 100%
You can shop online now for 32GB sd cards from big brands for 10$ and these companies buy in bulk so the cost is even lower plus the diffrence between 16GB and 32GB is like 3$ at worse case scenario

But these companies think of it like this
If they sell a million copy in its lifetime thats 3 million dollar saved that they can make better use of it elsewhere or for ads to matket the game

Not buying the story that says it costs +20$
If they are being charged 20$+ for the 32gb then they are properly been charged 15$+ for the 16gb

Royality packge etc are fixed/unchanged and simply the jump from 16gb to 32gb is a mere 2-3$

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
Insane.

I would love my switch to be my main console but with decisions like this I fear it will remain an exclusive only machine, such a shame

I really hope this problem can be solved sooner rather than later

Deleted member 62

Content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
How much would that switch have cost at retail?

Even if you if we are generous and say an extra $20-40 there would of been people going crazy.

The price it is now still had people going crazy.
Exactly. It's a smarter choice to keep the unit price down. That plus they allow you to use regular SD cards unlike the Vita lol

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they're is always something in the way of a Nintendo home console being even somewhat viable for third party releases.

HHGaming

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why don't you check posts of users who are privy to the actual pricing information of Switch cards? Like here?

Read the edit my point still stands
I hit post before finishing
Unless someone states the diffrence between 16gb and 32gb in $ it makes no point
They already charged 10$ more so not buying the game