• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
I remember this movie being one of the classics of the 90s. It was made in 97. 21 years ago.
It has a 99% on rottentomatoes. Won 2 Oscars.

MV5BMDQ2YzEyZGItYWRhOS00MjBmLTkzMDUtMTdjYzkyMmQxZTJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg

The movie is set in the 50s, so some "problematic" social issues are bound to come up. The problem is how some of these issues are just glossed over. Some of the characters' actions end up being completely consequence-free. There isn't even an ounce of consideration, or thoughtfulness, behind the fucked up things that happen, which lessens the "it was the 50's" argument.

Here's a list of things that happen in the movie:

- A group of 5-10 of cops beats up three Latinos in the basement of the precinct. They get somewhat reprimanded. Cool.

After that, it's all downhill.

- Based on some planted proof, 3 black men get arrested for a crime they didn't commit.
- Turns out, the 3 men were criminals after all (how lucky!), having raped and abducted a girl.
- The 3 men escape and are found again by the "good cop" (Guy Pierce) A shootout ensues. One of the potential rapists escapes from the shootout, the good cop follows him. The potential rapist gets in an elevator, and just as soon as the doors seem to be closed, the "good guy" sticks the shotgun in the crack and fires to the unarmed, trapped man. Not a second thought is given to this action.
- There are basically three women in the movie. Two prostitutes (one dead) and a latina (raped) who lied to the cops about her abductors to give more publicity to her case.
- The leading woman (the leading prostitute) falls in love with one of the cops, the violent one (Russel Crowe). She is then forced by her pimp to fuck the "good cop."
- The violent cop finds out, beats her up. Next time we see her, her face is red and swollen. The time after that, it's happy ending time: she's taking care of the wounded violent cop and kisses him, driving away to hopefully better times.

Part of it is clearly showing how fucked up the 50s in LA were. Specifically planting evidence, extorted confessions, relationship with the media and nepotism within the police department.
But other things are just completely skipped.

1) The three black men were rapists after all!
2) Let's shoot an unarmed man in the elevator!
3) Let's have all our actresses be prostitutes, and make sure not one of them leaves the movie unharmed!
4) She forgives him!

I have tried giving this movie the benefit of the doubt as I was watching it, but some things just seem like complete oversight instead of satire.

Here's the summary on IMDB:
As corruption grows in 1950s LA, three policemen - one strait-laced, one brutal, and one sleazy - investigate a series of murders with their own brand of justice.
And the summary review on RT:
Taut pacing, brilliantly dense writing and Oscar-worthy acting combine to produce a smart, popcorn-friendly thrill ride.

Its focus is clearly on the dark mystery, rather than the massively problematic time it is set in.

Thoughts?

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I love the movie, rewatched it last year and it really holds up

Miso

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Northen Beaches
Fantastic movie based on a even better book.

If you think everyone got away with their shit in this movie you were not watching properly.

Dec 2, 2017
That's James Ellroy for you. The focus is the mystery. Everything else is simply sidestory in this film. Also, there are no good guys in this story.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I still need to see this movie and don't know why I haven't. I've heard a lot of good things about it and know it's considered a classic. It's one of those I've just missed, at my own fault.

I borrowed my friend's Blu-ray years ago and still have it. I also was given a DVD. Yet I still haven't watched it. Maybe I'll do that this week. I don't see my friend much at all so I haven't been able to give him back his Blu-rays, or remembered the odd time I've seen him.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Great modern take on the noir genre. You may not be aware but a staple of that genre is flawed protagonists.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the movie, but I've always been disappointed how it ends with a big shootout. Feels cheap.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Ellroy writes about bad people in bad situations.
Yeah, this.
Take the Guy Pearce character, he's introduced early on as the clean and by-the-book guy. But ends up committing some of the most vile shit in the movie. And then he gets a medal at the end.

Ellroy is fascinated by this setting of 50s LA but also deeply despises it and its institutions for personal reasons. The characters aren't heroes.

Edit:
I'll add that maybe this is more apparent in the book since the movie's superb cinematography might glamorize the setting more than the source material does. But I thought the contrast worked pretty well in the end.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
I think many of the points made in the OP are intentional. Awesome film though. Good companion piece to LA Noire actually.

Side note, there is a really entertaining pilot episode for a TV series floating around. Worth watching too.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Yeah, one of the best movies I have ever seen.. it's a brutal movie when it comes to showing how life could be in the "older" times.. just how the use of power, corruption, sex, violence, etc. could get you high (or dead).. really, your problem is that the "bad" guys don't get the punishment they deserve ? Tough break kid.. it's so wonderful that now we live in a world where there are only good or bad people, and only the bad people get into problems.. and yeah, those times weren't really pretty for women and girls

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's a movie that is supposed to be set in the 1950s, not a movie that is supposed to have characters from 2018 set in the 1950s. It's already probably an apologetic look at the 1950s, especially the LA police force (even though it mostly purports to be criticism), there'd likely be much more racism and sexism than is actually on display.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Great movie and it takes place in the 50's, not sure what's problematic when viewing it from the 50's lens. As was already mentioned, everyone leaves this movie damaged in some way or another.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My problem is not the characters. They can do those things, but the movie has to give them meaning. Even a reaction shot would suffice. Instead it's like nothing happened.
So you think they should've telegraphed to the audience how they should react to the actions in the movie instead of letting the audience decide on their own?

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
You're basically asking for a 12 hour movie. AFAIK the closest a movie's come close to trying to say how really messed up LA was during that time and the effects created is maybe The Black Dahlia, and that thing's a jumbled mess.

swoon

Oct 25, 2017
The police brutality in the beginning actually happened, fwiw. I don't think it's racist or sexist and it does a good job and clear job of representing all the characters appropriately, which isn't always true of media that starts flawed characters.

Nov 17, 2017
Wait, so they arrest three black men by planting evidence but the movie justifies it by revealing they were all rapists anyway? Can someone explain that? That kind of seems separate from the whole "the 50s were bad man" part.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Like, if you take issue with him shotgun blasting the guy in the elevator, it's by design. You're supposed to be appalled by the tactics cops used when no one cared.

As far as the questionable racism and sexist stereotyping, I guess it's a genre thing. Pulpy noir was full of it supposedly and Ellroy wrote like that to keep with it unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen it since it first came out so I really don't remember it well. Except for one surprise development that startled the *shit* out of me. I probably had seen very few films in the genre back then, though.

trineo_feo

Oct 27, 2017
Dude it's a movie. Art. It doesn't have to "teach" you anything. It doesn't owe you to be perfectly in line with your 2018's morals.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Never seen it, which is a failing on my part. Heard nothing but good things, especially since Crowe was at his best on this film and should have won the Oscar for it. I want to read the book because a lot of what OP addressed is explained more thoroughly.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
My problem is not the characters. They can do those things, but the movie has to give them meaning. Even a reaction shot would suffice. Instead it's like nothing happened.

"It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it." - Roger Ebert (i.e. just because this movie features Racist, Bigoted, and Abusive protagonists doesn't mean it wants the audience to think Racism, Bigotry, and Abuse is okay)

Did this movie make you feel like the examples you listed were meant to be taken as positive aspects of the characters, things it saw as good or noble or worthwhile, or did the film merely let the horribleness of these actions speak for themselves?

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
This movie is a classic. One of the best of the 1990s. Every character is hurt in some way and the 1950's LA setting feels authentically shitty with a gritty yet glitzy sheen.