• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
So i'm don't know what to do right now after beating Abzu/Anu/Belial:
I can fight Echidna, but she is too strong right now, i can cheese her with fairy and flare gun, but it does not feel satisfying =(
I don't have 4th sigil, but found a lot of places when to use it, feels like i'm missing something again =(
I turned on Brahma machine but placing "skull balls" does not achieve anything, maybe later? Also found 3 Yuga Wheels with all hints (but i don't have corresponding mantras, i guess). upd - accidentally read spoiler
, you need to activate gods murals with egg =(
I have only 7 mantras..(and found reference to some map mantra, Brahma machine?)
I found Anubis, but do not have slightest idea how to solve his puzzles, maybe later? upd - accidentally dropped from some door and solved first puzzle, still don't understand how to do the rest..
Should i solve gates puzzle in Underworld or leave it for later?

Slight hints welcomed =)

Last edited:

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
I turned on Brahma machine but placing "skull balls" does not achieve anything, maybe later? Also found 3 Yuga Wheels with all hints (but i don't have corresponding mantras, i guess).
If you aren't already -- make notes from all tablets that mention yugas, brahma or any of the items that are connected to them.

Also -- mess around the Brahma machine ;)

Same applies to Anubis ;)

I found Anubis, but do not have slightest idea how to solve his puzzles, maybe later? upd - accidentally dropped from some door and solved first puzzle, still don't understand how to do the rest..
Mulbruk has a crucial hint about Anubis puzzles.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Any hints for Eternal Prison Gate puzzle? Seems like i'm missing some gates (hidden?), first one should be behind swirling light? Also never found gate crest corresponding to first one (Divine Chalice)

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this over the weekend, what a fantastic game. I get where a lot of the complaints are coming from but I might have enjoyed it more than the first game. Maybe that's largely because playing LM prepped me for what to keep an eye out for, idk.

Next time I'm in the mood for a game like this, I'll probably play Galious (which I've heard isn't as puzzle-focused as La-Mulana, despite being the main inspiration), but the burning question I have is why are there so few games like this? Are they out there and I'm unaware of them?

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I think it's because we're a niche audience. Most people don't want to explore or figure things out.

I've actually watched a good number of analysis vids from "game industry"-like youtubers on this kind of game, and they're usually all extremely negative on it. For example, the hints being in different maps is usually called a massive negative for the game, because that's unfair. Hard combat is fine, hard puzzles are not.

I've seen the underworld gate puzzle called unfair/perverted design, and that just baffles me. I guess current design wisdom is just not to do the exact things that make Mulana so satisfying :(

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the underworld gate puzzle called unfair/perverted design, and that just baffles me. I guess current design wisdom is just not to do the exact things that make Mulana so satisfying :(
The door order puzzle ?

I liked the concept of it, but the execution in-game was poorly designed.
Especially considering...
the very first door sequence started from outside the underworld.
No way I would've considered that.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i actually think the hell door puzzle was just fine, i liked it quite a bit

anyway la-mulana is very unique for me, it is odd that it pisses me off so much yet i like it so much, the game and i have a strange relationship where i just love playing it but almost wouldnt recommend it to most anyone, because both playing with and without a guide feels bad to me in a lot of ways, it's a punishing game

galious seems more about trying not to die and learning the map layout well because when popolon bites the dust and all you have is aphrodite things get real annoying real quick

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
No way I would've considered that.

There was a hint specifically about that, and that's actually a part why I thought it was so *good*. this one:
"Stepping through a gate where what you hold is stolen will be counted. But step through a gate where it is not, and we shall not"

So to me, this specifically actually was brilliant design - all the hints were there, you just had to put them together. It's rare that a puzzle requires figuring out the rules like this, kinda Myst like (or Riven, with a certain number)

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I thought it was good too. There were too many steps to being able to kill Vidofnir for the resulting gate to be unimportant, I thought, and you had to visit the prison the "normal" way to kick it all off. Lined up well.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I think it's because we're a niche audience. Most people don't want to explore or figure things out.

I've actually watched a good number of analysis vids from "game industry"-like youtubers on this kind of game, and they're usually all extremely negative on it. For example, the hints being in different maps is usually called a massive negative for the game, because that's unfair. Hard combat is fine, hard puzzles are not.

This old chestnut, I know it well. "Knowing OF something but not KNOWING it"

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Glad to see this OT is still getting some use!

And yeah, I get that the game isn't for everyone, but what really grinds me gears is when people make it seem like games like this shouldn't exist, or that it's objectively bad. 99.9% of games made these days are easier and more guided than La-Mulana, and some people seem to think the .1% that are super hard and obtuse shouldn't exist despite the fact that those games clearly have a fanbase, albeit small. I will never understand the aggressive way some people try to handwave the interests of others.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I wonder how the physical rewards for backers are coming along. Their priority was finishing the game so they hadn't started work on the physical items at the time of release but hopefully they've at least started by now.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
turbo necro bump but i felt like replaying this this weekend so i did

with the benefit of not struggling on puzzles anymore it dawned on me again how this game's instant death traps and amount of annoying enemies really trashes my patience, good god it gets annoying

like the play time for lm2 compared to lm1, even taking into account the fact that i constantly abuse zip glitches in lm1 now, is simply way out of whack just due to the fact that i constantly get pooped on by flying assholes knocking me into hazard pits

and then theres the fact that when you are just replaying through casually its like constant miniboss breaks as well

anger

but after all is said and done i dont hate the game, i just would rather replay the first one like 25 times for each one playthrough of lm2

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
also i havent been keeping track of all the changes, i know there were a lot of patches since release due to bugs and rebalancing

but when did they change the echidna art

why is her first phase a smol girl now and why doesnt she have a deteriorating face at the end

seems like they also moved some mechanics to hard mode. i should look at full change logs

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Had another go at the game after a release bug softlocked me fairly late into the game, which had me lose my motivation to start over and continue. It's crazy how much bosses have changed since I played at release. As Poppy pointed out, Echidna's sprite was changed entirely, but then most major bosses have had their behavior changed substantially. Anu lost its bullet hell attack, but in exchange glides right onto your location rather than drifting further, requiring some additional dodging on your part. And since they changed its hitbox so that only the head is vulnerable now, this is the only time you can harm it, as you no longer can attack it using the flare. The fight's less flashy now unfortunately, but also just completely different. Aten-Ra didn't use his flamethrowers this time around either, and I am not sure if he's just flat-out nerfed or what. I tried to find a list of all the changes made to bosses, but couldn't find anything. I find the extent of the changes pretty mind-boggling.

Still an amazing game, if often times too difficult in its puzzles for my peabrain. I hope the release of the new collection can get more people into this series.