• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Millennials killing affordable homes too!
The construction business is having trouble attracting young job seekers.

The share of workers in the sector who are 24 years old or younger has declined in 48 states since the last housing boom in 2005, according to an analysis of U.S. Census data by Issi Romem, chief economist at construction data firm BuildZoom. Nationally, the share of young construction workers declined nearly 30% from 2005 through 2016, according to Mr. Romem.

While there's no single reason why younger folks are losing interest in a job that is generally well-paid and doesn't require a college education, their indifference is exacerbating a labor shortage that has meant fewer homes being built and rising prices, possibly for years to come.

The U.S. had 11.7 million construction workers in 2005, but that peak fell to 10.8 million in 2010 amid the housing crisis. Even as the economy and housing market recovered, the number of workers continued to fall, hitting 10.2 million in 2016, according to Mr. Romem. Declining numbers of immigrant construction workers have made the problem worse.

The loss of young workers, in particular, is "a scar from which the construction industry has yet to recover," he said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/young-...ket-1533029401?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=5

Also guess the states that have most problem filling these jobs?

California, NY, NJ, CT, MA, and PA.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The jobs are needed now but people were fucked when the market crashed and construction stopped. And I don't think they can pay me enough to destroy my body like construction jobs do.

Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory: Blame the high schools for spending the last few decades making it seem like trade jobs are not worth pursuing

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Obligatory: Blame the high schools for spending the last few decades making it seem like trade jobs are not worth pursuing
They mention that in the full article.

Moreover, many parents encourage their kids to stick to the college route. Not going to college these days seems to be anathema to many still.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I work at a lot of construction sites and you couldn't pay me enough to break my back the way those guys do. Just today I was talking to a man who I was sure was in his 50s and he mentioned his 38th birthday had just passed.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I work at a lot of construction sites and you couldn't pay me enough to break my back the way those guys do. Just today I was talking to a man who I was sure was in his 50s and he mentioned his 38th birthday had just passed.
Probably the Sun aged him more than the work itself. The Sun ages people like no other.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
The jobs are needed now but people were fucked when the market crashed and construction stopped. And I don't think they can pay me enough to destroy my body like construction jobs do.
This was my first thought

On top of that, having dealt with home builders and how shitty a lot of them treat their contractors and workers, regardless of how 'well payed' this article claims, why would you put up with that shit.

I'm mean sure, I'd love to be making bucks, working outdoors, but I also know the toll that work will have on my body and I know how ruthless and cutthroat a lot of home builders are.

Maybe this is just karma in an industry where a lot of the labor was treated as disposable

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
They need more inmigrant workers, lots of guys here would be happy to move to us for construction

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
All construction work is not outdoors guys. After the put up the exterior the interior still has to be completed. As well as in some locations it's not hot year round so some of that work is done in cooler weather.

_id

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
If construction work actually trained people I think maybe more people would be willing to do it. But if you don't have any experience with wiring or using the tools necessary for the job or putting together a window or door etc. then you would probably be kinda useless at a construction site.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
I know lots of people doing construction work and it sounds like hell.

Super hard work, get treated like an idiot, work in all sorts of conditions, get injured on the job get fired. Some don't pay health insurance.

The worst part is... They all seem to go from one site to another, one company to the next and could be laid off from a company at any moment or be out of work.

Then there's the destroying your body part, never getting ahead and probably be stuck doing it the rest of your life part.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Housing market crash and the recession led to a lot of illegal migrant workers leaving the country in response. And the numbers crossing the border just kept going down and down since the end of Dubya. It's not the only reason (fertility rate is dropping in Latin America is another) but it's a big one.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If construction work actually trained people I think maybe more people would be willing to do it. But if you don't have any experience with wiring or using the tools necessary for the job or putting together a window or door etc. then you would probably be kinda useless at a construction site.
It is not like these things are difficult to learn though.

Personally it is about the hard work that destroys the body and the low pay, also it is not really respected I get the feeling. =/

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
My dad has been doing construction/contracting for 40 years. His knees are destroyed, his hands look like someone took a hammer to each finger, and his shoulders have a dull ache almost 24/7. He pretty much forced me to NOT follow his footsteps even though he makes good money. He's not even 60 and he's destroyed.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I considered getting a job in construction before deciding to study engineering, but you know what? Every construction dude I knew was a racist sack of shit, and that totally turned me off from the industry. I don't want to work with bigots.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
10 years in the trade as a framer I built my own house. Then ghosted out after another 5.
I put in work and got out of it what I needed.

So many in the trade are exploited. I'm proud to be one of those no longer in the game.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
lol im sure they install the ac as soon as it's enclosed

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen what it does to the knees and back. I will try to stay out of that line of work as much as I can.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Robots really need to replace what construction workers do.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dad did construction for 30 years, both his knees have since been replaced and he has arthritis all over his hands. Industry beat the shit out of his body but thankfully he was in a union and working in NYC so for now his retirement isn't too bad (pension, some health coverage)

There were times as a kid he'd be out of work for weeks at a time when a job ended, don't know how he dealt with the stress. Basically told me I had to go to College, didn't want me following his lead. I worked a summer with him in college and I will say when you're young and the body can handle it, the feeling of getting off work after busting your ass all day is pretty damn good, that Gatorade on the bus going home was the most earned drink of my life.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Destroying your body for 10-15 an hour, with no benefits, and no job stablity. No wonder no one wants those shit jobs

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I wonder if automation can fill any of these jobs. It sure doesn't seem Like it with how buildings are currently built.

Congo Jack

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Apple Island
Yeah I'm not surprised, I worked in construction/demolition for a time and it's grueling work that easily wears out your body, plus a lot of the foremen are jackasses

Yet another consequence of society looking down on the people who - literally - build society's foundation.

The work is hard as shit but vitally important. There should be a lot of incentives to attract people to the work. It used to be possible for people to earn a good living even at entry level but as with everything else, out of control inflation with wage stagnation has turned the jobs from "hard but fair" to "kill yourself for nothing".

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017

The way most people do it is they join up with the local union. They'll start as an apprentice, which is typically pretty low pay, but they also give on the job training, and will send you to classes to learn the trade.

Oct 25, 2017
I had considered finding work in construction some years ago and the 5 or so people I knew who had worked in it all told me it wasn't worth ruining my body

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I was a helper for my dad's construction company from 13 until around 22. Just a Saturday here and there, or part of a summer, lugging around bricks, mixing cement, climbing scaffolds, and digging holes. He told me he brought me out there so I would stay as far away as possible from that kind of work. He's 61 now and his back and knees aren't doing so well.

I respect anyone who has that kind of skill and dedication.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I considered getting a job in construction before deciding to study engineering, but you know what? Every construction dude I knew was a racist sack of shit, and that totally turned me off from the industry. I don't want to work with bigots.
I've been in the plumbing field for seven years now, and in my experience, this is absolutely true. Damn near everybody is a Trump loving, racist, hard R douche.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if automation can fill any of these jobs. It sure doesn't seem Like it with how buildings are currently built.

I think that in the future the way that buildings are constructed and designed will change to take advantage of automation, and many buildings will look different because of it - like a building that's 3D printed looks fundamentally different then one made with traditional brick. It probably won't be a one-to-one job replacement.

Not that that's a particularly bad thing. In the past construction was even more labor intensive not just because of the technology available but because of how the buildings were designed to begin with, with lots of hand carved detailing and craftsmanship. Rather then new technology taking over the job of those craftmen, the entire concept simply went out of fashion. Instead today there's a focus on simple, modular elements that are much more efficient for machines to slot together. It's less about adapting machines to construction then adaption construction to machines.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my uncle and some of his buddies tell everyone to go to college

all kinds of stories about racist white guys sabotaging their work trying to get them booted off jobs

wonder why the same type of people who go on and on about 'bootstraps' would be out there sabotaging the work of hard working minorities that they physically see working hard next to them...

HRMM.......

at least get sabotaged in comfort, not in a place that physically drains you.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
There are beautiful, relatively new homes that are very affordable in many parts of the country. But too many people want to live in California or New York.

Look up homes in places like Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont on Zillow. The younger people are clueless.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 27 and I started in construction. Well, doing steel as an ironworker in NYC. I got lucky though, moved into the office side of things, and I'm satisfied beyond belief with my salary today.

I'm shocked more people don't go into any forms of construction.

Oct 25, 2017

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Labor jobs aren't worth it. Like, yeah, you could become a plumber but a lot of trades are generic labor dudes who just put nails in walls.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm definitely seeing a shortage of blue collar jobs/vocational jobs.

I totally understand though, with construction. When there is a boom, everyone is building, when there isn't? people stop building means less jobs for construction workers.

Phaenos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 27 and I started in construction. Well, doing steel as an ironworker in NYC. I got lucky though, moved into the office side of things, and I'm satisfied beyond belief with my salary today.

I'm shocked more people don't go into any forms of construction.

It's crazy how much complacency people who could be in your position find themselves with. I work as a structural engineer and it's amazing to me how often I see a complete lack of any ambition in the contractors I work with to pursue a path that would get them out of the field and put their expertise to use inside the office.

My brother has been working as a drywaller in steel framed commercial buildings for more than 10 years now and is inherently killing himself in the process. He expresses his disdain for the everyday work each time I see him and on multiple occasions has expressed wanting it to change. He has no desire to "go back to school" however. I've directly offered to take the time to teach him what I know (simple things, such as reading plans beyond how they pertain to his specific trade) and provide him the resources I have to help him out and whenever it comes to the point where he just needs to step up and take me up on it, I get nothing but silence in return. It's not just him either - his coworkers, other tradesmen I know, they all seem to be in the same rut. They work their asses off doing their jobs, but the idea of stepping out beyond that seems to be paralyzing to them.

I wish more people could find the same courage and ambition you did.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
On the topic of ruining your body, my dad has definitely been fucked by doing steel erection since he was 13. In his case it's largely due to accidents, though. He broke his knee at 15, and due to that and the stress from working over the years, he needed a knee replacement before he was 50. He also broke his ankle at 29, and it had to be fused a few years later. He's had other broken bones as well, but those are the biggest issues.