• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian...ehhh. It's certainly not a Vita game, to be sure, but I also wouldn't say it's to the same standard of quality, content and polish (ESPECIALLY polish) we kind of expect out of major AAA releases in the current era.

It's kind of the same tier of release as Until Dawn in my book. AA, but not AAA. A roster-filler but not a tentpole.
Don't agree. TLG definitely looks like a AAA scale project.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Sony is arrogant again is a meme at this point i'm sure half of you that said this even know what the word arrogant means

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
It IS curious to see Shawn talk and boast so much recently. I dont ever recall them saying stuff like this before this E3. they have been leading all gen and have been pretty humble about it. last gen they had an insane lineup of games and never boasted. So why now?

To deflect from crossplay criticisms? to preemptively wave off any questions that might come out of Phil acquiring five new studios while he has shutdown several of his studios this gen?

Or is this is simply the return of arrogant sony? i sure hope not. Andrew House and Jack Tretton were a lot more humble.

You guys are so dramatic. The dude is just saying they have a diverse studio portfolio and he's seemingly happy about being able to have studios in the regions he mentioned, and you are out here like "arrogant sony". God.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian...ehhh. It's certainly not a Vita game, to be sure, but I also wouldn't say it's to the same standard of quality, content and polish (ESPECIALLY polish) we kind of expect out of major AAA releases in the current era.

It's kind of the same tier of release as Until Dawn in my book. AA, but not AAA. A roster-filler but not a tentpole.

The AAA and such ranking terminology has always confused the heck out of me. What falls under AAA, AA, A?

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we're only talking about budgets, then I sincerely doubt that TLG cost anywhere close to something like Uncharted 4.

It doesn't have to be "anywhere close" to Uncharted 4 to be considered AAA. If let's say Uncharted 4 has a budget of 200 million $, then it doesn't mean a game must be around 200 million $ to be considered AAA.

I do agree TLG isn't AAA though.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are so dramatic. The dude is just saying they have a diverse studio portfolio and he's seemingly happy about being able to have studios in the regions he mentioned, and you are out here like "arrogant sony". God.
lol you end your post with God and accuse me of being dramatic. what?

Oct 30, 2017
i like the playstation but i really hate layden. To me he is a very arrogant person. He reminded me of the old playstation 3 days. fuck that. even if he is an great executive ( or not ) , just keep him behind the scene. Don't make him the public image of the brand.

Jack was much a better person and down to earth guy. same with that tall British guy ( what his name ? Phill ? ) or even Yoshida. bring a friendly face to crowd. Not someone who is smug and talk like he is full of him self ( he probably isn't , but his personality sure is )

With that being said, wtf is he smoking ? Nintendo games are a success in all region as well. am i missing something? or was he responding to the MS acquiring the 5 studios and he wanted to defend Sony

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It doesn't have to be "anywhere close" to Uncharted 4 to be considered AAA. If let's say Uncharted 4 has a budget of 200 million $, then it doesn't mean a game must be around 200 million $ to be considered AAA.

I do agree TLG isn't AAA though.

I wish people would just stop using the term AAA altogether, when there's no agreed upon way to quantify it. If it means different things to different people, then it means nothing at all.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sony have earned that title (back) this generation. Their 'who would play these old games' stance, the whole cross-play thing, the way they handled PS2 games on PS4...

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Also, it's hardly boasting, the spread of their studios is a huge strength and they've spent decades building up their roster of talented and experienced studios. They've been in it for the long haul.

You're right, I'm probably just being overly harsh. That said, Sony's artsy-fartsy E3 presentation this year did remind me of the our-shit-doesn't-stink Sony of 13 years ago, where they went all in on proprietary technology for the future of games, and outside of Blu-Ray failed pretty badly.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's mistake (in my opinion) is to expect these relatively niche IP's to perform well in sales.
There should be room for some loss leaders. These IP's grow the brand and make it a rich and exciting platform.
But that's exactly what they're doing? they're probably the one doing it the most in the entire industry. Shuhei mentioned that in a statement where most of their games don't recoup their cost but they are fine with it because it diversity their lineup. Look at their 2017 games (which were something like +20 titles) and tell me how many of these became successful and how many were clearly going to be niche/fail.
You shouldn't excuse them closing down the online service for GR2 after a year. That is ridiculous and they deserve to be called out for it.
They also can't expect GR2 to sell well if they didn't even give it the time of day at E3.. I think it was only seen in a sizzle real during the main stage that year.
We don't know their expectations for the game. Not showing at E3 doesn't mean they had big expectations for the game. If anything it shows the game had low expectations to begin with since they were treating it as a smaller title and yet it failed to meet it. And of course E3 isn't the only place to show your game. They did show the game at TGS and PSX.
I just hope they don't close Japan Studio one of these days. Or Media Molecule.
I don't see a reason for that since Mm is small and has been extremely successful and Sony Japan wasn't closed despite releasing a flop after a flop and it's their main studio in Japan.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I mean he's right but lately it freels like most of those studios are focused on the same kind of games: M rated 3rd person action games. Sure you got PD with an GT game or two per gen. Media Molecule with one big idea per gen. Team Ico with 1 game every 2 gens. But year in and year out its just 3rd person action games. If Sonys studios are all basically making the same games catering to the same people, they could have 13 studios or 130 studios and it wouldn't make much difference. I miss previous gens where they were more broad. Sony used to put out more mascot platformers, RPGs, and kart racers. Somehow half way through PS4s life all these genres were dropped by Sony.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
i like the playstation but i really hate layden. To me he is a very arrogant person. He reminded me of the old playstation 3 days. fuck that. even if he is an great executive ( or not ) , just keep him behind the scene. Don't make him the public image of the brand.

Jack was much a better person and down to earth guy. same with that tall British guy ( what his name ? Phill ? ) or even Yoshida. bring a friendly face to crowd. Not someone who is smug and talk like he is full of him self ( he probably isn't , but his personality sure is )

With that being said, wtf is he smoking ? Nintendo games are a success in all region as well. am i missing something? or was he responding to the MS acquiring the 5 studios and he wanted to defend Sony

Phil Harrison was one of the primary faces of Playstation during the era everyone gave Sony shit for being arrogant.

I don't particularly think Shawn is a very good public speaker, but I don't think he's all that arrogant. He's just awkward and feels kind of fake on stage, similar to Phil "says every sentence with the exact same intonation" Spencer.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
True or not they make what most people would say are good games across those 3 regions. I just don't understand why the OP was so aggressively acting like people had already shown up to refute the claim. Like, it was the OP lol, who are you arguing against?

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I mean it's splitting hairs I suppose, but I don't think it's fair to exclude the whole of Asia outside of Japan in this context, so I would say that Ubisoft's Singapore studio has AAA presence.

And of course Square Enix is developing AAA content in North America, Europe, and Japan.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Oh how one can be so naive.
Please explain.
That's an opinion. I was living in the realm of fact. It's fine that you like Sony's output more, doesn't diminish that Ubisoft is more effecient while still being global.
Ubisoft being more efficient isn't a fact when you consider how many people they put on a single game, they also don't have an AAA studio in Japan which is what this thread about.
Think about what a console manufacturer can do when their reach for AAA games include all regions with all kinds of demographics and possible buyers.
This is the kind of thing that a investors would like.
But the games from their Japanese studios don't even sell the most in Japan, any game from any of their studios has a global reach since Sony is a worldwide company.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean it's splitting hairs I suppose, but I don't think it's fair to exclude the whole of Asia outside of Japan in this context, so I would say that Ubisoft's Singapore studio has AAA presence.

And of course Square Enix is developing AAA content in North America, Europe, and Japan.

I've always found it interesting that region discussions exclude Canada. I always thought they had a proportionally large game development scene. At the very least lumping them in with the US as the NA region like they do with Europe would make some sense.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
While it seems to work for NA and EU, I'd argue that it had failed to work in Japan. Sure bloodborne, love it, but that has to do more with From than studio Japan

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man, i'd love Sony investing more in Chinese market.
Well, the China Hero Project is Sony ran iirc, so they're trying at least! Would definitely be cool for them to eventually make a big studio there for sure. I think that's what this china hero project will eventually lead to down the line.

ClydeBonFrog

Apr 17, 2018
I always chuckle when people react so emotionally to what an executive says. When they, either Shawn or Phil do these interviews, what do people want them to do, say something like, " Well, I guess our first party is all right...". Apply that to any subject, they aren't going to actively shit on their brands in an interview, especially if one of the talking points of the industry is how good they are at something, in this case Sony's first party output. Of coarse Shawn is going to prop that up, because, guess what? He's an executive at Sony. Just like Phil will prop up the power of the Xbox One X, when he gets a chance in interviews, they are going to play to their strengths. Also to give Shawn some, lee-way(even though I don't think he needs any), he may of been referring to first party exclusivly. I don't think Microsoft produces big AAA games out of Japan, and I don't think Nintendo produces big AAA out of Europe, and to extent America( I know Retro, but they've been dormant for a while, and I can't think of any other Nintendo Studio in America).

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I think its a good idea that Sony started to market its Worldwide Studios and its proprietary engines.
Making people trust in Sonys capabilities to consistently put out several of the best games of a generation is a big feat and one of the biggest reasons for Ps4 success and if you ask me its one of the main reasons why I think that Ps5 will win next generation again. The fact that their studios are also pushing technical boundaries on a regular basis is a huge advantage for Sony as well. Microsoft can't really capitalize on the power advantage of the X1X, because the best looking games are still Ps4 exclusives. I expect a similar situation next gen.
WWS is the backbone of Sonys success, almost to a similar extent as Nintendos IP is the backbone of of theirs.

So I get why Shawn Layden is proud of that but I think there are better ways to market their studio infrastructure than boasting weird claims about being able to produce AAA games in three regions.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
They got lots of studios in the West but in Asia only got one studio in Japan? (Sony Japan Studio) that's not good enough for that region

Edit, and Polyphony Digital but still not good enough with just a Gran Turismo making studio
How many japanese games could sell as much as God of War, Uncharted or God of War ? Even Detroit probably sell (or will) much than any PlayStation 4 exclusive from Japan, except GT Sport and Bloodborne.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How many japanese games could sell as much as God of War, Uncharted or God of War ? Even Detroit probably sell (or will) much than any PlayStation 4 exclusive from Japan, except GT Sport and Bloodborne.

I mean, that's kind of just because there really aren't that many big games out of Sony Japan. If they put the effort into developing and marketing their Japanese games the same way they do their Western IP, they could certainly get them to sell similarly.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Bethesda and Square Enix are, it turns out.
Nope. Square Enix's main western offices might be based in London but their biggest European developed game right now is Life is Strange 2 and while I'm really looking forward to it, it isn't AAA. Hitman would've counted but it's gone.

Bethesda do though, which I'm guessing Shawn forgot because everyone seems to forget Bethesda owns Tango. No big deal, the people trying to make this into some kind of scandal are really embarrassing themselves.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Arrogant Sony is back. How many threads have we gotten recently about Sony boasting about their first party? Does it matter where a game comes from? As long as it's good that's all that matters. Pokemon is developed in Japan but sells better than any IP owned by Sony. Same goes for Mario Kart.

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Square Enix's main western offices might be based in London but their biggest European developed game right now is Life is Strange 2 and while I'm really looking forward to it, it isn't AAA. Hitman would've counted but it's gone.

Bethesda do though, which I'm guessing Shawn forgot because everyone seems to forget Bethesda owns Tango. No big deal, the people trying to make this into some kind of scandal are really embarrassing themselves.

Their biggest european game in development right now is Just Cause 4, Avalanche is in Sweden.
Also People Can Fly is making an AAA FPS title with Square Enix.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tomb Raider and Crystal Dynamics are in the UK