JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
It sucks but I kinda saw it coming. G4 would've been a cool channel during the pre-internet era. But since video game content can pretty much be consumed everywhere I just don't see it having a place.

Oct 27, 2017
That really sucks. I've been a fan of this revival and the content they've had. I don't watch it live, but I've caught it on YouTube later on šŸ˜•

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sad, but unsurprising. They really didn't have much of a clear plan on what G4 could evolve into, and instead just seemed content to let it be a reheated version of the old product. Which was fine for the internet era of the early 2010s, but really felt out of line with the current moment.

I think there's still a world for more studio-based, professionally produced gaming content. I don't think any of the minds running the G4 reboot are going to bring it to us.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
There are much more insightful and funny rando youtubers than the terrible unfunny personalities on major media outlets and TV shows.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendshipā„¢
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It sucks but I kinda saw it coming. G4 would've been a cool channel during the pre-internet era. But since video game content can pretty much be consumed everywhere I just don't see it having a place.

This is basically how I feel.

I remember watching some of their YT videos and was like "why didn't you all just make a podcast? It would have saved so much money"

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I can't say I'm surprised. They've been doing some really good stuff, but it feels like they've had a bit of trouble getting where they want to be.

With that said, this is awful news no matter what. Really hope the network is at least helping everyone laid off in some way (financially or with benefits), and I hope they're able to find work again quickly.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
The one time I caught some G4 footage it ended up being some weird "that's what she said" style banter between hosts. Justā€¦ not interested in that.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I can't say Im surprised to see cuts - I really hope G4 makes it long-term. I like their content but for a demographic that skews young their platform is a dinosaur for us olds.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
This is basically how I feel.

I remember watching some of their YT videos and was like "why didn't you all just make a podcast? It would have saved so much money"

I just don't go out of my way to watch live TV or scheduled programming anymore. Something like First Take on ESPN I'll watch the upload when it's on YouTube rather than watching it live because I'm not about making time for TV shows anymore , I watch things at my own pace.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I watched g4 on YouTubeTV for about 30min not too long ago and one thing I noticed is that I didn't see a single commercial during the "breaks". That was a huge red flag

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Goddddammit... but I could see it, I'm a huge G4 person and barely watched any of this and even the discussion online were dead. Just a lil too much for this day-n-age.

And they really back burnered Adam and he was why I'd watch.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendshipā„¢
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I just don't go out of my way to watch live TV or scheduled programming anymore. Something like First Take on ESPN I'll watch the upload when it's on YouTube rather than watching it live because I'm not about making time for TV shows anymore , I watch things at my own pace.

Right, so that as well. I literally have not watched anything outside of streams in years. Literally only thing I've even tangentially consumed is the fucking news blaring out of a family member's TV.

I honestly didn't even know until I see this post by you that there was apparently an actual channel? I thought maybe it was just YT or subscription streaming content.

25 out of the 200 staff members appear to be affected thus far

View: https://twitter.com/ethangach/status/1570164268309299200

I feel like we're about to hear some resignations as well. That's a large chunk of a relatively small company. I expect solidarity exits or panic exits.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Oh wow.

I'm not surprised, but I thought smarter people than me knew how to actually make it work, otherwise they wouldn't have even attempted a revival.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched g4 on YouTubeTV for about 30min not too long ago and one thing I noticed is that I didn't see a single commercial during the "breaks". That was a huge red flag
They showed commercials on the TV broadcasts and Twitch IIRC, just not on youtube

Goddddammit... but I could see it, I'm a huge G4 person and barely watched any of this and even the discussion online were dead. Just a lil too much for this day-n-age.

And they really back burnered Adam and he was why I'd watch.
IIRC he said he had a family emergency and that's why he hasn't been there for a while

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Looking at the youtube ratings there hasn't been any growth. Wonder how much longer they can keep this up.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Shocked they had that many people for that long, considering their YT channel averages like 10k views per video if not less.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know how that was ever going to make sense financially. They have a giant studio in LA and dozens of employees, I don't know how they were ever going to stay afloat on Twitch subs and deep cable money.

Edit: Holy shit they had 200 employees!?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Sad to see :( Seemed like they've been trying to find their footing with new projects and shows throughout the year. Since their eSports show Boosted didn't work, they brought on AustinShow to do a cheesey 70s game show, and other things like that. Lately, they've been doing a lot more tv review panels, with like weekly Disney+ shows and things, with expanding on Fresh Ink.

The real issue just seems like although it's great that in the short-term they've been experimenting with different projects and shows, giving the on-screen talent more things they could feature in, there's still not much long-term in this planning. And as usual, if these company endeavors don't make them billions and make shareholders go bananas, money and people get cut :/

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Really should've done a podcast/patreon combo or something.
Iirc, back around when they launched, they mentioned they'd look into releasing podcast versions of things like Vibe Check. But yeah, I don't think that's panned out at all.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Bummer, I had recently started watching their stuff a bit and it's been pretty enjoyable. Also not super surprising though, there's been more than a few "jokes" about how desperate they are for viewers.

Lamiafusion

Nov 24, 2017
As I've heard from Will Neff (if I remember correctly) during one of his streams, I think the older leadership in charge didn't really know how to enter the live streaming space in a modern capacity. They are definitely learning and trying new things but probably not financially on pace to keep G4 in the green. Just my speculation.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I jump into the Twitch streams once in a while, but don't regularly watch because I don't really care for a majority of the content. Overall I do like the revival and it's a shame it's already going this way, hopefully things turn around but it's a tough market out there for something like this when there's so many other smaller productions that are covering most of what they've been going for already.