KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
For OP who made the threadmarks, "the feedback" is the name of a show, it's not that they're gonna take feedback

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Kevin's full comments. Read from bottom to top.

itTAjgF.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody should be shocked at this with their numbers. I feel like it's just too much to have a production that size and be expected to turn a profit. Maybe if they'd left it light and nimble they could have made it.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Nooooooo! I really hope this doesn't cancel "Name Your Price" and "Hey Donna!", as those two internet shows have been such a joy to watch.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks for the people being laid off, but not really surprisingly. I thought it would at least make it a year though.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I have had good experiences with quite a few people there, hope they stay afloat

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those things that I know exists but never hear anyone talking about (besides Xavier Woods who I follow on twitter, but of course he's going to talk about it).

It's just hard to imagine the budget for the shows and salaries for all of those people being financially viable when people are more than happy to watch gaming content put together by single people or super small groups.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I have such a big soft spot for G4 and the personalities there...tons of fun back in the day. Genuinely wish all the very best for those impacted.

Raysu Delight

Banned
Aug 23, 2022
Sad to see people losing their jobs, but delighted to see G4 falling on its face. Imagine having the audacity to employ Frosk to rant to viewers about sexism in gaming, while simultaneously hiring Amouranth to play around in a bikini to drive up views. Wouldn't have been me.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Sad to see people losing their jobs, but delighted to see G4 falling on its face. Imagine having the audacity to employ Frosk to rant to viewers about sexism in gaming, while simultaneously hiring Amouranth to play around in a bikini to drive up views. Wouldn't have been me.

I'm not saying that they're not doing something wrong because I honestly haven't a clue, but based on this reply alone you sound more than a bit silly.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Starting out with Kevin shilling out NFTs wasn't a great idea.

The only people I have seen in funny clips from the new G4 are Xavier, Austin, and Will Neff.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea G4 was on YoutubeTV, I would have checked it out earlier if I knew. For some reason I thought it was limited to only a few providers and twitch or something? I wonder where I got that impression from. Anyone know if there is any kid friendly stuff on there that is worth checking out?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

This is quite literally the same exact argument that the lunatics who have been harassing Frosk for nine months have been posting on G4's Instagram and YouTube.

I know you fully understand the difference and that you're being disingenuous but I'm going to explain it anyway:

- Frosk's "rant" was specifically aimed at sexist pigs in their YouTube chat talking about which G4 women they wanted to have sex with the most and which G4 women they thought were ugly.

- Amouranth is an adult making decisions on what to do with her own body. She is a self-made millionaire whose career is based around those decisions.

These two things are completely unrelated. One is harassment of women by men. The other is a woman choosing to appear on TV in a bikini.

Raysu Delight

Banned
Aug 23, 2022
This is quite literally the same exact argument that the lunatics who have been harassing Frosk for nine months have been posting on G4's Instagram and YouTube.

I know you fully understand the difference and that you're being disingenuous but I'm going to explain it anyway:

- Frosk's "rant" was specifically aimed at sexist pigs in their chat and comments talking about which G4 women they wanted to have sex with the most and which G4 women they thought were ugly.

- Amouranth is an adult making decisions on what to do with her own body. She is a self-made millionaire whose career based around those decisions.

These two things are completely unrelated. One is harassment of women by men. The other is a woman choosing to appear on TV in a bikini.

I think you're the one who's being disingenuous here; I have no beef with Frosk, nor do I take any issue with whatever Amouranth decides to do with her body. I've never harassed either of them, but her rant was literally aimed at G4 viewers who she demanded should stop watching their show because they were objectifying women.

G4 then made a desperate attempt to get viewers back by hiring Amouranth to appear in a bikini and play around in a pool of soft balls. If you can't see how that's amusing then I don't know what to tell you. They clearly deserved to fail.

My issue is with neither Amouranth or Frosk so I have no idea why you're trying to paint it that way.

Raysu Delight

Banned
Aug 23, 2022

- Frosk's "rant" was specifically aimed at sexist pigs in their YouTube chat talking about which G4 women they wanted to have sex with the most and which G4 women they thought were ugly.

- Amouranth is an adult making decisions on what to do with her own body. She is a self-made millionaire whose career is based around those decisions.

Also the fact that you tried to make Amouranth & Frosk the subject of my post when they never were just proves that you were being disingenuous, but I think you know that already.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I think you're the one who's being disingenuous here; I have no beef with Frosk's, nor do I take any issue with whatever Amouranth decides to do with her body. I've never harassed either of them, but her rant was literally aimed at G4 viewers who she demanded should stop watching their show because they were objectifying women.

G4 then made a desperate attempt to get viewers back by hiring Amouranth to appear in a bikini and play around in a pool of soft balls. If you can't see how that's amusing then I don't know what to tell you. They clearly deserved to fail.

My issue is with neither Amouranth or Frosk so I have no idea why you're trying to paint it that way.

You are literally making up details in this very post.

There is absolutely zero proof that they lost viewers that they were then "desperate to get back" after that Frosk moment. To imply that Amouranth showing up in a bikini like four months a single time was a response to Frosk is completely baseless.

but her rant was literally aimed at G4 viewers who she demanded should stop watching their show because they were objectifying women.

No. I explained this in the post you quoted but you're misrepresenting it again.

Frosk was literally talking about people who were in their YouTube chat at that moment saying that she wasn't "as bangable as the old G4 hosts." Those are the specific people she told to stop watching G4.

This was a small number of people but they existed and they still exist in their comments. It was not large enough to somehow tank their numbers to the point of desperation. That idea is a lie that alt-right YouTubers like The Quartering have claimed to give legitimacy to their anti-Frosk videos.

Also, could you please stop referring to her well-spoken and eloquent segment calling out sexists as a "rant?"

Raysu Delight

Banned
Aug 23, 2022
User Banned (permanent): Troll account
You are literally making up details in this very post.

There is absolutely zero proof that they lost viewers that they were then "desperate to get back" after that Frosk moment. To imply that Amouranth showing up in a bikini like four months a single time was a response to Frosk is completely baseless.

The proof is right here:

boundingintocomics.com

G4 Sees Massive Loss Of Viewers In Months Following Frosk’s Infamous Rant

G4 has seen a massive loss of viewers in the months following Xplay host Indiana “Frosk” Black’s on-air rant against “sexism in gaming”.

I have no idea whether that source has any alt-right leanings, and I certainly don't watch any alt-right youtubers, but you clearly can't argue with the numbers regardless. They took a massive hit after Frosk's well-spoken and eloquent segment, and if they weren't desperate to get back the viewers they had lost I'd have a lot of questions for them.

They even deleted the entire segment from their channel recently which further backs up my point - it's certainly not a baseless claim like you're trying to say.

Sorry but when your entire argument so far has consisted of trying to paint me as some alt-right online troll, and you're refuting pieces of information which are available via a simple search then I have no desire to continue this discussion further. I don't even know why you're trying to defend G4 in all of this honestly.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Woah, hope the affected employees land on their feet. Sudden layoffs are scary..

Didn't know they had 200 employees and such a big studio footprint. It makes sense, now that I'm thinking back on it. But... wow. Yea, this isn't the same as G4 failing already, mind. But it does seem somewhat unsustainable if they can't bring in a lot of revenue to have THIS many employees. Having a studio is awesome, but you're now competing with 1 or 3 or 5 or 10 person teams pumping out some of the most popular content on the internet. No patreon or podcast ads or youtube views are ever going to pay for that. They're relying on network money and sponsorship slots - and those are dependent on viewers.

Nevertheless, hope G4 gets it together and finds a place. Some of the hosts I really quite enjoy, even though I haven't really clicked with the product the few times I've tuned in.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
It was just ONE segment that happened on the first ep of Attack (only cause Kevin was into them) and then was gone immediately after that. They even cut off the segment early, because all of the commenters made it clear they did NOT want it, and a statement was made the next ep. Everything else after that, has been Kassem dunking on NFTs with his CoolCumber drawings.
And yet that is all I remember. First impressions matter a lot and for a lot of us, it was enough to tune out. They didn't offer anything I couldn't get elsewhere and didn't adapt to the current market meant they were doomed.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the time, you can't re-capture lightning in a bottle. Leo Laporte re-launched The Screen Savers, to the same results. But, I think with video games and tech in 2022, it's even harder when you have 100's of people doing the same thing on Youtube and Twitch.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I just think the whole relaunch has been weird from the jump.

When I think "G4," I think of X-Play, Attack of the Show, Cheat! and later Proving Ground, Cheaters re-runs and Code Monkeys.

G4 as it is now seems to be more like a big Twitch operation with weird segments hosted by folks I can already find on Twitch and YouTube, the skinned faces of X-Play and Attack of the Show being worn like masks and bearing little resemblance to the style and tone of the original shows, only with Adam Sessler and Kevin Pereira popping up here and there just to give some things a vague air of familiarity.

I hope everyone let go today bounces back quickly but I just personally don't really "get" the direction of this whole reboot to begin with. So many of the talent there have far more successful solo ventures and I never see or hear about anything from G4 getting more than like 10,000 views on average. I just don't know what they're aiming for or who is engaging with it. Why they had 200 employees on this, I just don't really know and it doesn't seem sustainable.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I hope G4 isn't dying again, but I do think it's not exactly what fans expected it to be. X-Play is usually dedicated to reviewing one game, and AOTS doesn't seem to be as dynamic and full of life as it used to be. I still find it entertaining, and will watch a lot of their YouTube videos. But I think it needs to go back to what it was and differentiate itself from the other gaming channels out there.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
There's just so many places to get the content quicker and more direct than G4. I can't say anything about the quality of their segments but just looking at the vast runtimes of many videos is kinda unappealing.

I have a good feeling that workers will do better without having to make so much content.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it felt like this was never really gonna work out, it was simply too late. Their would be audience went to podcasts, video game shows on YT and twitch streams.

Did she join another group or is she back streaming on twitch?

She's just streaming on Twitch. She makes guest appearances on a monthly Nextlander podcast and sometimes appears in their streams too.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
The proof is right here:

boundingintocomics.com

G4 Sees Massive Loss Of Viewers In Months Following Frosk’s Infamous Rant

G4 has seen a massive loss of viewers in the months following Xplay host Indiana “Frosk” Black’s on-air rant against “sexism in gaming”.

I have no idea whether that source has any alt-right leanings, and I certainly don't watch any alt-right youtubers, but you clearly can't argue with the numbers regardless. They took a massive hit after Frosk's well-spoken and eloquent segment, and if they weren't desperate to get back the viewers they had lost I'd have a lot of questions for them.

They even deleted the entire segment from their channel recently which further backs up my point - it's certainly not a baseless claim like you're trying to say.

Sorry but when your entire argument so far has consisted of trying to paint me as some alt-right online troll, and you're refuting pieces of information which are available via a simple search then I have no desire to continue this discussion further. I don't even know why you're trying to defend G4 in all of this honestly.

i know you've already been dunked on and banned, but fuck that website. Literally the exact people Frosk was talking about.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had watched too much of it, but stinks for those who lost their job.

My solution - air new seasons of Sasuke

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I hope G4 isn't dying again, but I do think it's not exactly what fans expected it to be. X-Play is usually dedicated to reviewing one game, and AOTS doesn't seem to be as dynamic and full of life as it used to be. I still find it entertaining, and will watch a lot of their YouTube videos. But I think it needs to go back to what it was and differentiate itself from the other gaming channels out there.

God, I miss it.

26:06 is still as hilarious as it's always been.

Honestly, I'd really suggest giving it another chance when it's back next week. The show is just as unhinged and silly as it was before.

View: https://clips.twitch.tv/CoweringEnergeticPuddingCharlietheUnicorn-klfWfPx7xTj5EmAR

View: https://clips.twitch.tv/SweetIcyWerewolfCopyThis-TJkLytZeMTSmHdIC

View: https://clips.twitch.tv/ZanyMoldyAardvarkWholeWheat-mb6UxJW04JweZyg3

View: https://www.twitch.tv/g4tv/clip/NimbleOutstandingDonkeyRedCoat-FAkGeUmNvptxujwK?filter=clips&range=30d&sort=time

Lmwanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Binghamton NY
Kinda thought Twitch's numbers were trending higher than the Youtube decrease at one point. There's one issue i think thats been plaguing G4 since the relaunch. G4 in it's heyday had far more going on. I'll agree the lack of event and direct coverage has been a major issue too tying into that. They have a fair amount of content now, but it's still a far cry from before. Just in number and variety of shows. Fans did a new take on Cinematech which I think was mildly successful, which would be the low budget thing I'd been hoping to see more of. More direct gaming stuff. Even Arena felt like a godsend coming back.

Machinima style stuff like Bob and Steve are rare now. I'd especially love for Portal to come back too. The fact they made it to YouTube TV and I've been watching on Pluto, I was always wondering what kind of growth it made. YouTube TV probably didn't help Finances though. At least they're still up and running. GameSpot, IGN, and Kotaku. They also have website ad revenue G4 doesn't seem to, on top of a parent company. With Revision 3 they did well enough until being bought out. The Attack struggled without support, then Leo Laporte's TWiT network seems like it's doing well. There is definitely some middle ground they need to find.

X-Play and Attack carried G4 at the end of its original run and they still seemingly do now. Though I agree, I'd like more of the old Strait Xplay review format on top of the more discussion oriented stuff. The old podcasts haven't come back, have they? I'd also agree that a lot of their current stuff is essentially just AoTS subdivided.

Original G4 and Tech TV kept a more varied line up which I think hurts them. Even though they already feel understaffed. Instead of TV, I usually have Twitch with G4 on while I'm doing anything or not. It's nice they had Viva La Dirt League as shorts, but I'm surprised they haven't tried to pick up more short form content or produce their own. Just felt lacking, and not for lack of trying. I know I'll continue to support them.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
Can't say I'm shocked looking at the views on their twitch and youtube it never was clear how this was generating revenue. Especially with a 67K square foot studio and 200 employees.

The content schedule became very erratic too and was hard to follow.