TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Dio being the best part of 1 is almost exactly why he's the worst part of 3. Not only is he absent in 95% of it, when they do get around to him he just doesn't chew through the scenes like he does in part 1. He feels a lot flatter and the final fight just wasn't that interesting or well done.

Part 1 isn't unwatchable by any means... but it would have been my least favorite if not for how long part 3 is. Part 3 is all setup for very little pay off, and that's not to mention my feelings on Jotaro (which I'm sure everyone gets tired of me saying in this thread so I'll leave it at that). Joseph carries the personality in both parts 2 and 3 and I don't hate him in 4 though it's almost a little painful to see how he ends up.

But yeah for anyone just getting into Jojo, it's a tough balancing act. Part of me feels like you don't need to watch a lot of this series, but the other part of me feels like you can't just outright skip any of them. Ironically, part 1 being as short as it is it's probably the only one I'd recommend watching fully even if it is weaker. Parts 2, 3, and 4 all have a lot off, if not straight up bad fight-of-the-week style stuff... but even then it's not like you can just watch the first couple episodes and the last couple episodes as there is a lot of great stuff intermingled.

One day I'll go back and create my personal 'master list' of episodes for when I see someone who wants to get into Jojo but doesn't want to commit to watching every episode.
Your not a fan of fight of the week style structure

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Your not a fan of fight of the week style structure
I watch a lot of the fight-of-the-week type stuff, especially growing up. That said, maybe I don't have the patience for it as an adult... but a lot of it is just rather weak feeling to me. Heck, aside from Boat Gorilla and Hol Horse and a few other plot-heavy episodes, I feel like part 3 could have done with probably 10 fewer episodes because of it.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
JoJo is monster of the week. That's what defines it. And it's better off for it, because it lets Araki go wild with the powers he introduces.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It was alright in Part 3, albeit simplistic at times. In Part 4 and onwards, they become super creative, which makes it a lot more fun.
To add on this, part 4 also had a lot more callbacks and bringing characters back a few times which gave more weight to them and Morioh in general as being interconnected.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i disagree, Part 5 is pretty damn solid - just depends on what you are looking for in a JoJo Part

I'm not saying it's the worst part, that's 3, but it's bad compared to the rest because of a weak villain and jojo. All of the other parts have at least one of the two and more things that make it more interesting. So yeah, it's solid, but including all of the Jojo parts it's in the lower end of them.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Part 3 is easily my favorite. Introducing stands and the variety of places added so much flavor to the show. It also had the best over all cast by far. Yeah Rohan was fantastic, but he was one flower among thorns in part 4.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
If you guys and gals wanna discuss Part rankings, please keep it civil and don't do manga spoilers. If you want to keep it to be for Parts 1 til 4, then it'd be for the best.

Just please: No manga spoilers

Stay Horny y'all~

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
i mean, there are individual moments in stardust crusaders that are more iconic/worthwhile than the entirety of Phantom Blood...
I absolutely and very strongly disagree. And even if that were true, the entirety would still bring it down. Putting a flower in a pile of garbage doesn't make it suddenly a vase.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there are parts of Stardust Crusaders that are better than the entirety of Phantom Blood, Battle Tendency, Diamond is Unbreakable, probably Stone Ocean

any time jotaro's theme comes in is better than the entirety of Phantom blood

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Blood was entertaining for me because of how over the top and insanely twisted the relationship between Jonathan and Dio gets. Also poor Speedwagon.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Phantom Blood is simple but charming, and lays the groundwork for the rest of the series. Araki had a very interesting bit about Jonathan/Part 1 in the Phantom Blood re-releases:

The title of the series is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but first and foremost, I actually wanted to draw Dio. Good and evil, white and black—Jonathan and Dio function as symbols and are foils of one another. The series had the potential to go on, so in my mind, I wanted to create a "first Joestar" that could function as a symbol of purity and dignity rather than a unique, fresh character—that's why it was hard to come up with him.

There are limitations on how I could write the character because he was a "symbol of justice," so he may be a little on the boring side. I solidified his character as I went. Jonathan is passive, reacting to Dio's various attacks, and this leads to him discovering his way of life. Perhaps this is linked to me as an author, growing along with my character as I drew him. Just as Jonathan was unsure as to how to live his life, I was unsure where to take the character. Maybe I grew as an author a little with Jonathan as he trudged on through his hardships.

In Part 1, during the seven years after Danny's death, Jonathan gets very muscular. This change was made with the upcoming battle between him and Dio in mind. I thought his physique needed to be able to withstand the constant onslaught from this point on. In addition, when this part was originally being serialized, it was the era of "muscles" on the silver screen—guys like Schwarzenegger and Stallone. Schwarzenegger, for example, could never be stopped by an amount of gunfire right? I wanted Jonathan to have a similar look to him—a look of unstoppableness. Weekly Shonen Jump also has a history and tradition of main characters evolving and growing.

I also wanted Jonathan to exude an aura of strength like in Karate Baka Ichidai after doing martial arts training alone in the mountains. As a child, I loved karate manga—you would see all kinds of supernatural strength, like punching electrical poles and having the birds on the wires drop down or someone trying to stab another person with a knife, only to have the knife bend. In actuality, martial arts does have a certain mystique to it, such as strengthening punches with breathing techniques. I wanted to include supernatural things like that in JoJo, and I believe that the Ripple is inspired by my love of karate manga.

This quote about Dio, however, is absolutely perfect:

Why is Dio naked?
He wanted to show off his beautiful body.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Blood is still good because it
1. Introduces Dio
2. Speedowagon
3. establishes stakes for part 3
4. creates a good contrast for part 2

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Best part of Part 3 is Pet Shop
tumblr_n5l6kxo6h31s8qv2fo1_500.gif

GraveMisguidedAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle-size_restricted.gif

v53BRpz.gif

giphy.gif

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Part 1 is better than Part 2.

Part 3 is amazing solely on the strengths of stuff like Pet Shop, the D'Arby Brothers, and the general goofy tone it carries itself with for a majority of the journey. Stuff like Oingo Boingo brothers, Mariah/Bast, Anubis, even some of the weaker first half fights have funny moments that make them worth it, like ZZ proclaiming that Part 3 is over because he killed Jotaro, or Ebony Devil threatening to bite off Polnareff's dick, the whole Sun fight's resolution. Part 3 is a good comedy, and intentionally so, I feel, compared to stuff like Part 1 and 2 which were "funny" because of how outlandish they were, not because they were genuinely supposed to be comedic.

Part 2 is still really good though but it's at the bottom for me because the Pillar Men suck, Caesar is garbage who does nothing and then dies, Lisa Lisa is criminally underused after being built up (and then screwed out of any good fights) and Joseph carrying the whole thing by himself just makes the fights boring because he can't lose because none of his comrades are allowed to win.

Part 1 has some of those same issues, especially everything being up to Jonathan, but it also has Speedwagon as a great supporting character, Will as a fun mentor character, and Dio as an amazing villain.

Oct 25, 2017
Part 1 is better than Part 2.

Part 3 is amazing solely on the strengths of stuff like Pet Shop, the D'Arby Brothers, and the general goofy tone it carries itself with for a majority of the journey. Stuff like Oingo Boingo brothers, Mariah/Bast, Anubis, even some of the weaker first half fights have funny moments that make them worth it, like ZZ proclaiming that Part 3 is over because he killed Jotaro, or Ebony Devil threatening to bite off Polnareff's dick, the whole Sun fight's resolution. Part 3 is a good comedy, and intentionally so, I feel, compared to stuff like Part 1 and 2 which were "funny" because of how outlandish they were, not because they were genuinely supposed to be comedic.

Part 2 is still really good though but it's at the bottom for me because the Pillar Men suck, Caesar is garbage who does nothing and then dies, Lisa Lisa is criminally underused after being built up (and then screwed out of any good fights) and Joseph carrying the whole thing by himself just makes the fights boring because he can't lose because none of his comrades are allowed to win.

Part 1 has some of those same issues, especially everything being up to Jonathan, but it also has Speedwagon as a great supporting character, Will as a fun mentor character, and Dio as an amazing villain.
You forgot to mention Dire's "I'm going to throw my dick at your face" split attack.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the part of part 4 where Okuyasu gets pissed that shigechi died and they don't really hit you completely over the face with it is surprisingly good character-wise for Jojo

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
DIO "not doing anything" for most of Part 3 was absolutely the correct move to make, because the whole part builds him up as this terrifying and mysterious goal to reach. Emphasizing the control DIO has over others, the mystery of his Stand, and how even speaking to him is terrifying, makes having him do anything else superfluous or even harmful to the story by ruining the mystique or devaluing the whole point of traveling to Cairo to confront him.

Polnareff looking up and seeing DIO at the top of the stairs who greets him with a simple "It's been a long time, Polnareff" while his face is finally shown was the perfect way to put on a point on "this is where it all finally ends."