• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
How can this not be revealed this weekend.

Like the constant teasing. The massive info dump.

There is no way they can sit on this for the next 7 months.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Im praying they get rid of the janky dodge mechanic. Holding r1 , x and and tilting the analog stick in 2017? I think not
Yeah, if there's one thing I'd like to see changed, it's the dodge mechanic. It does feels awkward/clunky to have to go through so many inputs just to dodge. The only problem with just putting it on a single button, however, is that it somewhat devalues the Trickster style (where you just press Circle to dodge).

Ideally, I think the solution might be to improve the dodge in some fashion when Trickster is in use (e.g. you can dodge further, faster, have additional i-frames when dodging, etc.), or limit the amount of times you can dodge in quick succession without Trickster. As in, you can only dodge three times in a row before having to wait to dodge again, whereas with Trickster, you could dodge as many times as you wanted in succession.
I'll be going to Playstation Experience this weekend. Any chance DMC5 makes an appearance?
I'd day TGA is more likely, if we're getting a reveal this week. Sony has really been downplaying PSX quite a but, and I don't think they'd do so if there was something huge like DMCV that was going to be revealed there.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I got the latest issue.
00v85wd.jpg

I need this like every week, delivered to my PM, lol.

Update from source (the one that says TGA/PSX, take this as a grain of salt as always):

-DMCV is coming to Xbox One too. It is only timed ps4 console exclusive, at this point in time its anywhere from 6 to 12 months exclusivity. Supposedly on this week's announcement it might only say ps4/pc for the time being.

Will wait for trve version.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I'd day TGA is more likely, if we're getting a reveal this week. Sony has really been downplaying PSX quite a but, and I don't think they'd do so if there was something huge like DMCV that was going to be revealed there.

Quite the opposite. If Sony is involved they'd want the game to be shown off at events they control. Like a PSX.

Also, yeah - if DMCV is your only announcement, I'd say that's a smaller event than one showing off Spider Man, God of War, The Last of Us 2, Days Gone etc.

A lot of people are looking forward to DMCV but it can't hold up against all those games, especially in regards to casual gamers.

But in Capcom's eyes, if DMCV can get PSX all by itself, even if it's a bit downscaled, that's still great for them.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of people in this thread have been saying that it's going to be coming to Xbox too so don't know how much of this is attached to Sony.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
There's a reason trickster exists, guys. Why dodge roll when you can sky star out of the way?

Dastidood

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... dodging is for suckas... You trickster dash or neutral jump... or better yet, neutral jump with block...

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason trickster exists, guys. Why dodge roll when you can sky star out of the way?
Which is all the more reason why the dodge system needs to be reworked. Trickster dashes should be the default, and the series doesn't need to hold onto the whole dodge roll/backflip stuff the series had starting out in DMC1. Same for the way style switching worked in DMC4. There's no reason to do that much switching on the d-pad to use one trickster move before going back to Swordmaster and vice versa.

Lot of things needed to be made smoother, as the leaks have pointed towards. I just hope they're made smoother in the right ways (like a shift modifier. DmC for all its faults at least had the right idea with that concept).

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Update from source (the one that says TGA/PSX, take this as a grain of salt as always):

-DMCV is coming to Xbox One too. It is only timed ps4 console exclusive, at this point in time its anywhere from 6 to 12 months exclusivity. Supposedly on this week's announcement it might only say ps4/pc for the time being.
What the hell? Xbox players will get to play it? What's next now? Nintendo Switch? Just ridiculous. Sony and Capcom need to figure this out asap.

/s

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer will end with Vergil rising from his grave and at the same time a blue V will appear on the screen while the game footage slowly fades away till the screen is completely black, then the full title will be displayed with some cool effects and the classic "Devil May Cry" line will be heard.

"When there's no more room in Hell, Vergil shall walk the earth!!!"

All I ask for is that this game features at least one pizza party with the whole Sparda family.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy if it's revealed that Vergil secretly likes pizza as well .

Specifically pineapple pizza, and then him and Dante have an argument about it.

I'm just imagining Vergil trying to balance eating pizza with something more "classy" and in line with his normal attitude, like drinking a glass of wine to go with it. Meanwhile Dante, Nero, Lady, Trish and Kyrie all watch in horror and disgust.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fan of the style modifier button idea that's been floating around for years (probably Dahbomb's idea originally :P). Instead of using the D-pad to Switch gears into a different style and then using Circle to access that Style's moves, just hold, say, L1, and use the regular face buttons. Triangle is Devil Arm moves as normal, but L1 + Triangle is your Swordmaster moveset. L1 + Square for Gunslinger, L1 + X for Trickster dodges, and then that frees up Circle to be a default Royal Guard block.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No need to get rid of any moves. Just give Trickster a dedicated button, or make accessing styles easier.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Alright so which character is going to have a V tattoo or marking?

DEVIL MAY CRY *Dante gets scratched by a cat which looks like a V*

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people want stuff reworked or changed but don't have any idea of how to exact the change. Lol...Basically you guys don't want a style system, is that it?

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Because trickster dash sucks. Changing style just so that I can dodge is annoying.

Yeah... dodging is for suckas... You trickster dash or neutral jump... or better yet, neutral jump with block...

And jumping to dodge sucks too for most styles

Kingdom Hearts 2 did this best. Tap dodge button fast = dodge roll. Hold dodge button = long dash

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
An E3 reveal would be ridiculous if there's already a trailer ready. Get the initial trailer out the way so we can have DMCV on all the E3 expectation lists, show an extended trailer along with the demo if it's ready.

I'm expecting it, since Sony have dropped the ball on every conference they've had this year, but...They can't expect people to wait half a year for something that's ready now. If it were the original plan, I'm hoping Son Of Sparda forces their hand with this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people want stuff reworked or changed but don't have any idea of how to exact the change. Lol...Basically you guys don't want a style system, is that it?
Thing is, plenty of us (mostly as in people from the DMC discord) have talked in depth about how to change the way styles work because the current method that they exist in with DMC4 and 3's Style Switcher Mod is highly inefficient. I always broke it down into two possible options that it could go in. One is to keep the switching on D-Pad but make every style drastically change the way controlling Dante works in every aspect (Like Yakuza 0 and Kiwami's style switching), but the logistics of that with all the real time weapon switching would be too fucking huge. The other option which is what's more plausible is through a shift modifier. Integrating the basic trickster dash into the regular R1 + X command would be an immediate upgrade but would not remove the existence of that style entirely. Air Trick still exists and could easily be assigned as modifier specific ability. Same for Royal Guard by giving it its own button that is accessible at any point (Circle), but still providing new abilities or functionality to it with a modifier.

Basically, yes we still want the style system, and we want it better than it currently is and have spent countless discussions on the matter about how it could be done (among other many game play related theories). We have ideas, so much so that it's amazing most of us haven't just gone fuck it and made our own character action games in the interim between DMC4 and V.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

The style system in 3 and 4 as it exist is too restrictive. The world has changed and people are used to having block and dodge at a push of a button. No need to keep them separated.

What they could try to do is something like Nioh- I mean, the high mid low stance system is functionally a 'style system' where the player choose between more damage, more speed or balance kind of deal. You keep all the moves but modified

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Because trickster dash sucks. Changing style just so that I can dodge is annoying.

Yeah I don't understand people advocating Trickster style as a sensible option for dodging.

A lot of DMC fans here seem set in their ways, but I think the control setup in this franchise is up for a revamp.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dash doesn't suck. It's situational, like every dodge move in DMC. That's how 3 and 4 are designed. There is no universal dodge move like Bayo/GoW/NG. And it definitely doesn't suck if you guard cancel it.

That said, I do think there are more elegant ways to have dodging rather than have two distinct dodge moves that require very different inputs and involving different face buttons.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The control set-up for DMC seems hella outdated. That's gotta be the first thing they change. Nobody wants to choose between More Cool Moves and An Actual Dodge Button. That's setting up a choice that NG/GoW/Bayonetta/etc never made you go through, and doesnt make the game more fun to be more restrictive. Especially when the jump is so strict, vertical, and trash feeling.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, people who say it's reasonable to want the dash restricted to a certain style are just wrong, this stuff needs to be in the basic moves.

Also, so far no one teased a DMC reveal this weekend or during the TGA, and the leak especifically said it'd be revealed only at E3. This thread teased itself that it might be revealed this week.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
A Style modifier button solves pretty much all the issues. You keep all the available moves, and it frees up the D-pad and the Circle button. Triangle for all your regular Devil Arm attacks, Style + Triangle for all your Swordmaster attacks. Square for shooting, Style + Square for Gunslinger shooting. X for jumping, Style + X for Trickster dodges. Map it to L1, move DT to D-pad Up, use Circle as a permanent Royal Guard button regardless of style (and add new Royal Guard functions exclusive to the Style modifier), and you've still got three D-pad directions left over to map new mechanics to.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a world where Bayonetta encouraged freedom of combat expression with a (double) jump that actually feels good, Swordmaster/Gunslinger/Royal Guard/Trickster style actions all available without having to choose one or hold down some other modified button, in the year 2009

then there's no reason DMC5 needs to be stuck in 2005 game design ethos just because, in the year 2018/19

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I liked the styles, and I don't feel like removing them is some sort of instant QOL improvement. I mean I wouldn't mind a change, but I don't think you just have to make DMC: Bayonetta Controls Edition or anything like that

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In a world where Bayonetta encouraged freedom of combat expression with a (double) jump that actually feels good, Swordmaster/Gunslinger/Royal Guard/Trickster style actions all available without having to choose one or hold down some other modified button, in the year 2009

then there's no reason DMC5 needs to be stuck in 2005 game design ethos just because, in the year 2018/19

Make DMC5 different from a ten year-old game? How dare you sir.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the styles, and I don't feel like removing them is some sort of instant QOL improvement. I mean I wouldn't mind a change, but I don't think you just have to make DMC: Bayonetta Controls Edition or anything like that

I mean, letting you perform the same actions by pressing fewer buttons is basically the definition of a QOL improvement :P

I was just fighting Echidna in DMC4 earlier, and when she's hovering in the air, attacking her and dodging her hair whip things is a matter of being in Swordmaster for Aerial Rave, switching to Trickster for Skystar, back to Swordmaster, back to Trickster, etc etc etc. I don't want to see DMC lose its identity either, but that's just needlessly clumsy.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I mean, letting you perform the same actions by pressing fewer buttons is basically the definition of a QOL improvement :P

I was just fighting Echidna in DMC4 earlier, and when she's hovering in the air, attacking her and dodging her hair whip things is a matter of being in Swordmaster for Aerial Rave, switching to Trickster for Skystar, back to Swordmaster, back to Trickster, etc etc etc. I don't want to see DMC lose its identity either, but that's just needlessly clumsy.

Yeah I get what you're saying. I think there's probably a happy medium in there somewhere.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
L1 - Lock on R1 - Style/Rev/Modifier
L2 - Guard R2 - Dodge

Face button - Range, Melee, Special/Buster , Jump
D-pad button - Devil Trigger (up), Healing star (down), Switch guns (left), Switch melee (right)

InfiniteBlue

Nov 1, 2017
I'm a fan of the style modifier button idea that's been floating around for years (probably Dahbomb's idea originally :P). Instead of using the D-pad to Switch gears into a different style and then using Circle to access that Style's moves, just hold, say, L1, and use the regular face buttons. Triangle is Devil Arm moves as normal, but L1 + Triangle is your Swordmaster moveset. L1 + Square for Gunslinger, L1 + X for Trickster dodges, and then that frees up Circle to be a default Royal Guard block.

Isn't this what DmC does? I've only played the demo but I thought the way they handled switching was more intuitive than DMC4.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Honestly after playing as Vergil, I can't get used to switching only one way for melee weapons again.

L1 - Hold to switch guns with D-pad R1 - Hold to switch swords with D-pad
L2 - Style/Rev/Modifier R2 - Dodge

Face button - Range, Melee, Guard/Buster, Jump
D-pad button - Devil Trigger (up), Healing star (down), Switch target (left and right), Switch guns (While Holding L1 and any 4 buttons), Switch melee (While Holding R1 and any 4 button)

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I think both point of views are valid regarding styles tbh,like it feels like a outdated mechanic on paper but i don't find it clumsy,obstructive,unnecesary complex at the same time.
You have to switch stances in Nioh and i don't think anyone found it obstructive or anything like that.
Never played bayonetta so i'm a ignorant about that one,but i saw a few posts mentioning it as a possible solution.
How does the combat work on Bayo? do you have to do long combos to perform a specific attack like in a fighting game or something? i'm talking completely out of my ass here,i have no idea at all.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
You have to switch stances in Nioh and i don't think anyone found it obstructive or anything like that.

I brought this up earlier, but the main thing about Nioh's stance switching is that it doesn't lock you out of basic moves like dodging or blocking, just modifies them.

If DMCV adapts a similar system, I don't think anyone has any issues... Or at least I personally wouldn't.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this what DmC does? I've only played the demo but I thought the way they handled switching was more intuitive than DMC4.

DmC uses modifier buttons for weapon switching, which is a mechanic Ninja Theory brought over from Heavenly Sword. Rebellion is your default weapon, and then you hold R2 to use your Demon weapons and L2 to use your Angel weapons. You have two of each of those, and they're swapped between using the D-pad. It's an interesting way of letting you carry a full loadout of five melee weapons at once, but you also lose access to a lot of the DMC4 moveset (no Royal Guard or Trickster equivalent, for instance). DmC has the right idea with a one-button dodge that works in mid-air as well as on the ground, though.

I think both point of views are valid regarding styles tbh,like it feels like a outdated mechanic on paper but i don't find it clumsy,obstructive,unnecesary complex at the same time.
Never played bayonetta so i'm a ignorant about that one,but i saw a few posts mentioning it as a possible solution.
How does the combat work on Bayo? do you have to do long combos to perform a specific attack like in a fighting game or something? i'm talking completely out of my ass here,i have no idea at all.

The difference is that Nioh gives you a fully-featured moveset in every stance, whereas DMC4 locks what should ideally be basic functionality to specific styles. You have an easy one-button dodge in all three stances, it just changes its properties depending on your stance (rolls in high, quick dashes in low, etc). Plus switching stances has the added benefit of more effective Ki-recovery when you Ki-pulse, if I'm not mistaken.

Bayonetta has two attack buttons and lets you use two melee weapons at once. You equip one weapon to your hands and use it with Triangle, and one to your feet used with Circle, and you can hit a button to swap to a second weapon loadout. It has many of the same command moves as DMC (it's more or less built on top of the original DMC1 moveset, so you always have a launcher, a Stinger and pause combos), but you also have a dial-a-combo system where three, four or five hit combos will end with powerful finishing moves called Wicked Weaves. Then there's also what I think is one of the cleverest systems in action games called Dodge Offset, which lets you dodge at any time without losing your place in a multi-hit combo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.