• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah. But PSVR 1 wasn't pushing tech like this is. It was pretty conservative and definitely made for a cheap price. It used PS3 controllers…

I just don't see these specs resulting in anything close to PSVR1 pricing, if they're real. It's proper top end stuff.
Fwiw, this also seems like a very aggressive approach to get players into VR
But i agree that it would be difficult to get this on a very low price point

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Games are already BC when combining a PS5 + PSVR1.
Just because something wasn't mentioned some people assume the worst. I doubt it's much work to "white-list" what PSVR games have compatible game design that can work with the new controllers (and just enable these).
Astro Bot however would not work out-of-the-box with the PSVR2 controllers for example because the game is designed around the DS4 and that gamepad being virtualized inside the game.

I'm not sure about how well you can just translate the tracking between two essentially different headsets. The old PSVR use the same lights that the DS4 does for tracking. Some of the more technical posters would be welcome to elucidate if this is something that is really difficult to get to work.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Resistance 3 with move controllers was great. A VR resistance trilogy remaster would be awesome.
Since one of Resistance's inspirations was one of the biggest game & IP, and the latest game is in VR.

capsule_616x353.jpg

PS5 (or even cross-gen with 4) for traditional FPS + VR enabled with NGVR = win win.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I'm not sure about how well you can just translate the tracking between two essentially different headsets. The old PSVR use the same lights that the DS4 does for tracking. Some of the more technical posters would be welcome to elucidate if this is something that is really difficult to get to work.
There is an abstraction layer in the software. The games themselves know nothing about the tracking tech, they only see X, Y, Z positions, momentum etc. based on the VR API. Sony can 'hook-up' any other tracking tech on the other side of the API.

The exception is games that are very specifically designed around the DualShock 4 form (Astro Bot has it virtualized inside the environment) or a video-stream of the player (from an external camera facing the player). Those would still require the PSVR1/DS4 hardware.

(it's still up in the air if the DualSense can be tracked by the PSVR2, if that is the case however then Astro Bot should work 'out of the box')

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's pretty insane that it'll have the PS5 to work with + foveated rendering etc to help

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I like that they move from PSVR exclusive games to just making VR compatible games. So I won't miss a thing.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
  • Sony want to move away from "VR experiences" and concentrate on AAA games with an aim to make hybrid games that are playable in both flat screen and VR. When those titles launch you can even select which version you want to download.

In, so in. Never bothered with VR much yet because it was mostly those "experiences". More AAA RE7 style VR games please.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is also a good reason that GT7 was pushed back. Seems like an ideal candidate to accompany the launch.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
There is an abstraction layer in the software. The games themselves know nothing about the tracking tech, they only see X, Y, Z positions, momentum etc. based on the VR API. Sony can 'hook-up' any other tracking tech on the other side of the API.

The exception is games that are very specifically designed around the DualSense 4 form (Astro Bot has it virtualized inside the environment) or a video-stream of the player (from an external camera facing the player). Those would still require the PSVR1/DS4 hardware.

this was really interesting, thanks!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
As high end as this sounds it would still surprise me to see this priced as high as the cost of the disc sku. Maybe $450?

But yeah all the bells and whistles on this thing from foveated rendering to haptics in the headset, and an HDR panel. On paper it easily looks like a $1000+ hmd. Valve and HTC certainly would push those prices for something comparable in the PC space.

This was years ago but I remember reading Valve tried to prototype headsets with an HDR panel which while it blew everyone away that tried it apparently it got hot so quickly from use the panels burnt out. Not that I'm surprised Sony of all companies figured it out, still interesting to note this was a problem Valve apparently couldn't reconcile (and possibly other headset makers too).

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Sony want to move away from "VR experiences" and concentrate on AAA games with an aim to make hybrid games that are playable in both flat screen and VR. When those titles launch you can even select which version you want to download

this would be amazing if they manage to do it.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
As a fellow Quest owner wireless is important to me as well, but frankly not enough to miss out on AAA VR games made by Sony studios (and whoever else they moneyhat to flesh out the PSVR2 library).

After playing Alyx at release and waiting on something else even somewhat similar in terms of visuals and scope I'm frankly tired of wading through mobile VR looking games since Oculus has abandoned PCVR AAA development (sans Lone Echo II's release).

Sure, there's still some fun games to be had on Quest, but I've been ready for VR to take the leap into AAA for far too many years now. Playing RDR2 in VR with a mod that enabled support earlier in the year was a revelation, and it ran pretty terrible on my PC too lol. Imagine getting a Rockstar level game with native VR support that runs flawlessly, or a Naughty Dog one. I'd easily put up with a single wire for that.

Well yeah, I was actually trying out Alyx with Quest 2 too (using Virtual Desktop). Not interested in all those "mobile-tier" games myself either, but having those AAA-experiences with beefy hardware, still wireless, it changes the perspective a bit. I'm still hopeful there could be a wireless adapter for PSVR2 too, since there have been some for higher end wired PCVR-devices as well, AFAIK. But time will tell.

I still feel like VR needs to mature a couple more years for it to become very compelling all around, even though it has been rapidly going forwards in many aspects and it's slowly getting there. We all perceive that particular threshold differently of course, but I'd love to play some AAA-games with all the bells and whistles on wireless VR, which is still lightweight and has decent battery life as well. Of course it will still take years until we are at that point, but it will inevitably happen at some point. Then I could see myself "all in" on VR.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

That makes backwards compatibility sound plausible. Nice.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
The hybrid approach is deflating imo.

Seems like Half Life Alyx will continue to be the high bar of what a VR game can be for years to come.

Sounds like a lot of cool tech, I'm really curious to see how this is priced.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017

Seems like Half Life Alyx will continue to be the high bar of what a VR game can be for years to come.
HL:A could be augmented to become a hybrid game relatively easily. Maybe a 3D map of City 17 will show on the TV-screen with a Picture-in-Picture view of the VR screen for your friends to see the context (+ loadout/inventory details etc).

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Yep. Really disappointing. One of the versions will be handicapped in some way or another.

HL:A could be augmented to become a hybrid game relatively easily. Maybe a 3D map of City 17 will show on the TV-screen with a Picture-in-Picture view of the VR screen for your friends to see the context (+ loadout/inventory details etc).
Not sure what you mean. Alyx already has a spectator mode window that has a UI for the inventory that people can see while you play.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

Hybrid just makes it seem like it will be games with a VR mode shoe-horned into it. Something like HL: Alyx would not have worked as well hybrid because it was fully designed around VR and interactions you couldn't really do on a flat screen with traditional input methods. Maybe they have some sort of plan going forward to make games easily translate to a good VR experience?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I drool at the thought of the next Spider-Man game having a VR mode. Not for the main campaign, but free roam the whole city and VR specific missions and challenges would be nifty. Let me walk, climb and swing around.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you mean. Alyx already has a spectator mode window that has a UI for the inventory that people can see while you play.
Ah sorry, thought you were specifically talking about VR games offering flat-screen functionality for additional participants and that somehow being deflating. You probably were talking about a game being designed to work both in VR and for flat-screen (reducing its VR design potential).

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Is it expected to have stuff like face / lip tracking? That's the kind of stuff I want for future headsets, when it comes to stuff like social interaction. That and VR treadmills and the like, although I don't know if I see Sony making one of those.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I wanna see that Sony/Rockstar relationship give us VR for GTA and RDR too. So much potential.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Hybrid just makes it seem like it will be games with a VR mode shoe-horned into it. Something like HL: Alyx would not have worked as well hybrid because it was fully designed around VR and interactions you couldn't really do on a flat screen with traditional input methods. Maybe they have some sort of plan going forward to make games easily translate to a good VR experience?
It sounds like it might just be VR modes. Similar to what RE7 had.

As someone who loved what Half Life Alyx was it's kind of saddening that we might not get another big budget title like that soon.

I understand this from Sony's view, this way they can sell the game to all PS5 owners not just PSVR2 owners.

Regardless it's nice that Sony seems to be investing in VR heavily.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There are various genres that would convert easily to VR like any kind of game you're in a cockpit or behind the wheel of a vehicle.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I'm kinda dreaming of a launch with Half Life Alyx, Astro Bot and anything from Insomniac.
If that happens, I'd probably pick it up day 1

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even given much thought to the software side of PSVR2 but if Sony wants to make 'AAA' VR games it could be something special.

I already consider games like Astro Bot: Rescue Mission and Blood & Truth to be there. Firewall: Zero Hour was a great first attempt at a VR multiplayer FPS.

If they want to surpass those in terms of investment it could mean a bunch of Half-Life Alyx quality VR games.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
One cable. This was one the first things announced IIRC.
We know that they announced it. It doesn't stop us from hoping that their plans have changed, or that there will be a wireless model.
Once you have experienced wireless/stand-alone VR, you don't want to go back.
The cable is so restrictive, and seated VR experiences are 1/10th the fun of room-scale for me.

Oh yeah, maybe when it's finally announced, Village also would be VR enabled.
It certainly feels like a game built for VR the way that Resident Evil 7 was, but I don't know if Capcom would revisit it without Sony paying for them to do so.
They never bothered to bring RE7 VR over to PC once the exclusivity deal ended.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
3 things.

1. No BC and mentions of Remasters is ok with me. There has been lots of BC discussions but no one has been solid on the idea of a PSVR2 being able to simulate V1 games with the old camera technology especially if V2 doesn't use a camera to start with.

Also the idea of Astro Bot: Rescue Mission Remastered on PS5 is huge. That game deserves to use the full use of the PS5 hardware and not tie to the old PS4 architecture. I can see this being bundled for free with NGVR to help push its new features and also gateway into Astro Bot VR2.

2. If Sony does indeed push "AAA" for NGVR means Half-Life: Alyx is anything but confirmed along with likely major PC VR games that missed out on V1.

3. Wireless not being mentioned is still ok for me. All of this sounds exciting to a point wireless is like the last thing I'd ask for if all of this is true. Although it's also possible this new technology being mentioned here could help with a streaming mode. Maybe. At the end of the day though, if you want to experience all these functions and features, your best bet is to have a direct connection to the console and that is fine with me.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I get why some might be disappiinted that the focus will be on hybrid experiences, but it is a necessity to aggressively grow the VR market, it is possible that after they get hold of a large crowd of VR owners they will transition over to selling more VR exclusives, but one of the most effective games in PSVR's life cycle was RE7 launching with full PSVR support, if they can get that for a lot more games like Rockstar's GTA and RDR2, AAA shooters, GT7, RE8, and more yet to be announced games, the proposition behind it could turn very strong.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'm kinda dreaming of a launch with Half Life Alyx, Astro Bot and anything from Insomniac.
If that happens, I'd probably pick it up day 1

Alyx on PSVR2 would be great, and kind of a reasonable expectation since PS games have been coming to Steam, although I dunno if Valve's own upcoming VR headset with have an effect on that happening.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for this to launch. I loved the PSVR but it had some problems like the breakout box

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haptics to reduce motion sickness is what I wanted to hear. I'll be following this closely.

I see a lot of people haven't brought this part up but if the headset haptics can actually fight motion sickness in an effective manner that feature alone would be a game changer for a ton of people all by itself.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It sounds like it might just be VR modes. Similar to what RE7 had.

As someone who loved what Half Life Alyx was it's kind of saddening that we might not get another big budget title like that soon.

I understand this from Sony's view, this way they can sell the game to all PS5 owners not just PSVR2 owners.

Regardless it's nice that Sony seems to be investing in VR heavily.

You'd be getting bigger budget games than Alyx is kind of the point. If you mean designed exclusively for VR then maybe less so. However I also see it where the flat experience will be less engaging and VR modes will be enhanced.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I'd be hopeful SIE will still bankroll wholly VR 'AAA' games. But I think they know that for most publishers, hybrid is the only way they're going to bring 'AAA' stuff to VR.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Alyx on PSVR2 would be great, and kind of a reasonable expectation since PS games have been coming to Steam, although I dunno if Valve's own upcoming VR headset with have an effect on that happening.
I don't think there is a expectation whatsoever because of that. They went to Steam because Steam has the biggest PC marketshare. I think people are going to be incredibly disappointed when it never comes.

As for the hardware itself it all sounds amazing and expensive and i really want 100% confirmation because i go into hype overdrive.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Fuck it, I'm in.

I skipped VR1 so this'll be my first foray into VR gaming.

Hopefully some form of BC is implemented so I can catch up on the games I missed from last gen.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious about the use of haptics to reduce motion sickness and how that might work. There was a ton of PSVR games I either never played or barely tried in case they led to a one way trip to vomit town.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
What are your predictions for the price of PSVR2 with these specs in mind? I have a hard time seeing it as less than 500$ with the controllers in the mix. I don't know how much the single cable option brings down the cost vs having a wireless one.