• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
header.jpg

Just announced on XSEED's stream. Also the steam page is already up

http://store.steampowered.com/app/748490/The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_of_Cold_Steel_II/

Experience the Game as Never Before

50% more lines of English voice-overs have been added to the PC release, bringing a fresh experience to even those who have played it before on console. New features for this release include ultrawide aspect ratio support, turbo mode, and an instant resume feature that allows players to launch directly from Steam to their most recent save.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel Atom x7-Z8700 2.4 GHz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Shader Model 5 (GeForce 400 / Radeon HD 5000 / Intel post-2012 series)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 18 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: 1280x720 / 30 FPS with portable settings

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel i3 3 GHz
    • Graphics: Geforce GTX 770 / Radeon R9 280X
    • Additional Notes: 1920x1080 / 60 FPS with high setting

Here's a full list of changes/improvements in the PC version:

Graphics:
- Arbitrary resolution and FPS settings (Up to 6k and 60 FPS officially supported, minimum resolution 1280x720)
- Image quality settings: up to 8x multi-sample anti-aliasing, transparency supersampling, and anisotropic filtering
- Shadow quality, distance and filtering improvements as well as additional shadow casters
- Postprocessing improvements, including HBAO+ as well as higher quality depth-of-field and glow effects
- Ultrawide aspect ratio support (e.g. 21:9)
- Field of View (FoV) adjustment

Input:
- Mouse/keyboard controls with full rebinding support
- Selectable button prompts, including mouse/keyboard and several controller types
- Gamepad button rebinding
- Option to disable camera auto-centering

Quality of Life:
- Turbo mode, with configurable speedup factors for battles and field traversal (automatically stops during timed battle input prompts)
- Autosaves with configurable autosave interval
- Instant resume feature which allows you to resume directly from Steam to your latest save
- Options for skipping startup movies and logos

Audio:
- 5271 additional lines of voice acting
- Uncompressed background music quality

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
UiTTqbf.jpg

Steam page is up! Please do not visit the page if you want to avoid spoilers for previous Trails games (FC, SC, Cold Steel)

Taking place on the same continent as the fan favorite Trails in the Sky offshoot of Nihon Falcom's storied The Legend of Heroes franchise, Trails of Cold Steel II (Sen no Kiseki II in Japanese) is a direct sequel to Trails of Cold Steel, picking up one month after the decisive collision that changed the fate of the entire nation of Erebonia. The speedy, tactical turn-based combat with the newly-developed "ARCUS" system returns with all the bells and whistles together with the new Overdrive mode, new means of transportation both across the land and sky, new allies, new dangers, and a renewed sense of hope as Rean tirelessly works to right the wrongs that have led the country to disarray.

KEY FEATURES
  • A Direct Sequel that Remembers the Past
    Clear data from Trails of Cold Steel carries over into Trails of Cold Steel II, granting players bonuses, and most importantly, remembering the many relationships cultivated during time spent at Thors Military Academy, allowing for more personalized conversations throughout the story.

• Take to the Land and Sky in New Modes of Transportation
    Fast travel isn't just for Trista anymore; a personalized airship now allows players to swiftly choose and descend upon both familiar and foreign destinations alike—and on land, horseback riding not only returns, but players can now customize and utilize Angelica's orbal bike for fast transportation across the map.

• The Link System Returns with a new Overdrive Mode
    Bonding with allies continues to pay off with the Combat Link System, netting a variety of combat benefits including healing, guarding, and more, and the new Overdrive mode allows linked characters to attack up to three turns in a row for new strategic battle options.

• Experience the Game as Never Before
    50% more lines of English voice-overs have been added to the PC release, bringing a fresh experience to even those who have played it before on console. New features for this release include ultrawide aspect ratio support, turbo mode, and an instant resume feature that allows players to launch directly from Steam to their most recent save.

Steam PC reqs:

MINIMUM:
  • Processor: Intel Atom x7-Z8700 2.4 GHz
  • Graphics: Shader Model 5 (GeForce 400 / Radeon HD 5000 / Intel post-2012 series)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Additional Notes: 1280x720 / 30 FPS with portable settings

Steam page has spoilers. Best to avoid it until finishing CS1.

Bit of info on the port:
For the CS1 completion save carry over, you just need to select it in the list of previous game saves.
Instant Resume.
Controller button remapping. ("Both keyboard/mouse controls and (new in ToCS2) gamepad buttons are completely remappable, and you'll get correct button prompts matching your remapping")
5000 or more new voices.
Battle voices have been redone
Ultrawide aspect ratio support

Bit of other info:

Cold Steel 2 (PS3/Vita) took 8 months to complete. They considered pushing it back since they thought Final Fantasy XV was going to be released, but then the August delay happened.

"Fishing has a bug until recently where fish difficulty scaled with framerate, but not your pulling strenght. I noticed it when I got a higher refresh monitor and fishing got almost impossibly hard at 100+ FPS" - Durante

Last edited:

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Finished CS1 a few days ago so the wait isn't long! I can't believe I'll actually catch up with the official English localizations for this series soon.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played the first one on PC, it was pretty good. Maybe too repetitive for my taste, but I enjoyed the battle system enough to finish the game. Hope the 2nd one doenst involve a shit ton of train trips :O

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Maybe I'll give this a try when it goes on sale for below $15
I love the Trails in the Sky buy Cold Steel 1 was a complete downgrade when it came to characters and story, but I still want to support the franchise in the west :S

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I played the first one on PC, it was pretty good. Maybe too repetitive for my taste, but I enjoyed the battle system enough to finish the game. Hope the 2nd one doenst involve a shit ton of train trips :O
You won't be disappointed in that regard. Cold Steel 2 is structured quite differently from the first game.

Maybe I'll give this a try when it goes on sale for below $15
I love the Trails in the Sky buy Cold Steel 1 was a complete downgrade when it came to characters and story, but I still want to support the franchise in the west :S

While not perfect, I think CS2 and especially CS3 are significant improvements over CS1 on that front.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's definitely releasing before Ys 8 lol.

I love the way they're treating the CS games. I gifted the first one to a friend who has a potato laptop, and it runs fairly well.

Also, with this, XSeed will have released 4 Trails games on PC in a little over 2 years (or 4 localizations within a year and a half if you count consoles as well). That bad press that stemmed from the conditions surrounding SC seems really overblown right now.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Ha-haaaa.

Looks like the min spec is aimed GPD Win again, right? That's cool.

Looking forward to Durante's technical blog posts, assuming there's going to be any.

Also on that stream at the very end there was someone sleeping on a bed and the shadow looked weird.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
nice to see it's out so soon

funny how in the past few years as someone that only even plays like a half dozen games a year at most i've gone from not having even heard of this series to playing every game as it gets released on steam

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It launches on Valentine's. Jusis and Machias are on the header pic.

I SEE WHAT YOU DOING XSEED.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Some observations, cross-quoted from the Kiseki community OT::

Steam page has spoilers. Best to avoid it until finishing CS1.

Bit of info on the port:
  1. For the CS1 completion save carry over, you just need to select it in the list of previous game saves.
  2. Instant Resume.
  3. Controller button remapping. ("Both keyboard/mouse controls and (new in ToCS2) gamepad buttons are completely remappable, and you'll get correct button prompts matching your remapping")
  4. 5000 or more new voices.
  5. Battle voices have been redone
  6. Ultrawide aspect ratio support

Bit of other info:

Cold Steel 2 (PS3/Vita) took 8 months to complete. They considered pushing it back since they thought Final Fantasy XV was going to be released, but then the August delay happened.

"Fishing has a bug until recently where fish difficulty scaled with framerate, but not your pulling strenght. I noticed it when I got a higher refresh monitor and fishing got almost impossibly hard at 100+ FPS" - Durante

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yay finally, time for a CS1 replay should last me till then if i take it slow.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Great news!
I thought release was ways off... this is much sooner that expected.

Thanks XSEED

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

Graphics:
- Arbitrary resolution and FPS settings (Up to 6k and 60 FPS officially supported, minimum resolution 1280x720)
- Image quality settings: up to 8x multi-sample anti-aliasing, transparency supersampling, and anisotropic filtering
- Shadow quality, distance and filtering improvements as well as additional shadow casters
- Postprocessing improvements, including HBAO+ as well as higher quality depth-of-field and glow effects
- Unlimited draw distance option (eliminates pop-in)

Input:
- Selectable button prompts, including mouse/keyboard and several controller types

Quality of Life:
- Turbo mode, with configurable speedup factors for battles and field traversal (automatically stops during timed battle input prompts)
- Instant resume feature which allows you to resume directly from Steam to your latest save

Audio:

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Day one, as usual. Thanks, Durante!

I'm excited to try that instant start feature.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash

Graphics:

Input:

Quality of Life:

Audio:

Thanks! Will add this to the main post

devSin

Oct 27, 2017

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Not seeing it in the change list, what about the draw distance improvement from CS1?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
16:10 support (at least letterboxed) this time?
No. If you play in fullscreen, your GPU should do the letterboxing though.

Not seeing it in the change list, what about the draw distance improvement from CS1?
Of course that's in! I forgot about that. I'll edit my post.
(even though whenever I test on a new system and forget to change that option I'm appalled by the pop-in ;))

Durante is there a comparison video or pics?
Not yet. I might make one again closer to launch.

Last edited:

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Sooner than expected and with tons of improvements.
Hopefully now more people can play it.

Reader

Oct 27, 2017
I am currently finishing up The 3rd. Really looking forward to starting Cold Steel games at some point. Still going to purchase is day one to support Falcom!

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
No. If you play in fullscreen, your GPU should do the letterboxing though.
Really? That's never been my experience (are you saying it should work that way automatically, or are you thinking of some driver override or something?).

It's definitely not the way it works with Cold Steel 1 (you forcibly set the resolution to 1920x1080, or whatever it's set to in the options, and then it just gets stretched/scaled by the display).

Literally the only widescreen game currently in my library that cannot handle 16:10 at all.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Really? That's never been my experience (are you saying it should work that way automatically, or are you thinking of some driver override or something?).

It's definitely not the way it works with Cold Steel 1 (you forcibly set the resolution to 1920x1080, or whatever it's set to in the options, and then it just gets stretched/scaled by the display).

Literally the only widescreen game currently in my library that cannot handle 16:10 at all.

The driver should have a setting for how it handles scaling.

I don't remember exactly what it was on Nvidia but on AMD it's in Radeon Settings under Display. Turn GPU scaling on and have the scaling mode set to preserve aspect ratio.

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
That's good, though, unless you're really limited on space.
I don't think compression would make any perceptible difference for most of the game's audio (especially when there's already a lot of poor mixing in general). The first game didn't really need to be 16GB.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Now to live in dread that NSIA got 3, till Xseed announces they have it. This is a day one purchase for me. If NSIA gets 3, I'll wait till 3 gets a super deep discount.

Grim Patron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it coming out on GOG the same day as well? I have the whole falcom collection there. no mention of gog in the op.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Now to live in dread that NSIA got 3, till Xseed announces they have it. This is a day one purchase for me. If NSIA gets 3, I'll wait till 3 gets a super deep discount.
Yeah, the sad fact is that sandwiched between two new Final Fantasy ports and with the uncertainty over the series' future (if NIS gets it, I'm out) means I'm not going to be able to pick this up on release.

It may have to wait for the summer (or even winter) sale, though I'd definitely pick it up sooner if XSEED manages to land CS3.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think compression would make any perceptible difference for most of the game's audio (especially when there's already a lot of poor mixing in general). The first game didn't really need to be 16GB.
I'd say there is indeed a perceptible difference between how Falcom's modern soundtracks sound on consoles and how they sound on the actual soundtrack. The compression is definitely noticeable.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say there is indeed a perceptible difference between how Falcom's modern soundtracks sound on consoles and how they sound on the actual soundtrack. The compression is definitely noticeable.
I wasn't referring to the music. All of the audio was uncompressed in the first game.

Also, not all compression is equal. Compression that would be used for a PC game in 2017 is not going to sound as bad as compression used for a Vita game in 2010 (or whenever the originals were made).