• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Thank you!
I will investigate how to buy an official copy and patch it with the fan patches.
Even so I really hope that XSEED releases a official translation of both games.
On one hand looking at the sales of Kiseki the Third on SteamSpy, they're lower than CS's sales (surely because the game looks old and is the third entry of the saga), on the other hand they're lately releasing games even more old and niche, so there's hope.

I made a little guide on reddit but here's what I recommend.

The game you can get it from DLsite, you'll need to create a profile so you don't get your credit/debit card denied. I used the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsoEU2sZrSw

Then you'll need a locale emulator to install and play the game. I use the one from pooi.moe

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I made a little guide on reddit but here's what I recommend.

The game you can get it from DLsite, you'll need to create a profile so you don't get your credit/debit card denied. I used the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsoEU2sZrSw

Then you'll need a locale emulator to install and play the game. I use the one from pooi.moe
Ok I'm saving the video for when the patch is released.
Thank you a lot!
Kiseki has really a great community.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It should work if your driver is set up to do letterboxing instead of stretching -- which, IMHO at least, is the setting you'll always want, and I had thought that it's the default now. You can look here for how to set that up.
It doesn't appear to be the default (at least for Nvidia), but thanks for the notice (it's something I've never had cause to check for, since every game I've ever played just handles 16:10 natively).

Do you know if the driver override prevents the desktop resizing (for CS1, I just use 1080p since my display does 1:1 mapping, but it still resizes the desktop and screws up all open windows, which is a huge annoyance)?

If Trails in the Sky is anything to go by, the one PC improvement I'd want is a 'Cliffs notes' mode in which all conversations take no more than 4 sentences.
You can already hold down a button to basically speed through all dialogue and cutscene content (that's a base game feature, separate from turbo mode).

If you don't care enough about what people are saying to read through it, that's a way to get past all that stuff quickly.

I don't quite understand the sentiment "it's between Final Fantasy ports" so no time. Why not push back that FF purchase? Instead you could play a great (arguably better) JRPG, support an excellent publisher (Xseed) and developer (Durante).
For me, because I want to play FF12 again, it's coming out first (and will cost the same for the first week), and if CS3 goes to NIS, I'm probably not ever going to play CS2 anyway (though I'd still buy it, someday).

If CS3 were actually confirmed to be with XSEED, I might have purchased CS2 instead of FFXV (which I'm not in as big a hurry to play). Or maybe not. Who can say what would truly happen if things were different from what they are.

In terms of getting my money sooner, not making a December release (and the surprise early release of FF12) is just bad luck for XSEED.

Last edited:

DeejayDoom

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1 (even if i'm not playing this one until Ao/Zero) just to support XSEED and Durante's great work.

zrk

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if it was a prerelease misinterpretation then, because that's when I remember it from.

I do remember reading something like that, maybe in an interview or through a dengeki leak?

But this doesn't match with my in-game experience.

That being said, I kind of like having to make choices for bonding scenes. I'm not necessarily interested equally in each character, and reading all of the bonding moments wouldn't be very good for the pace of the game (especially when reading super slowly in Japanese).
It also adds to the replayability, and kiseki is always nice to replay.
Besides, I'd argue that, in a sense, bonding points were already there in SC, since you could get very different dialogues depending on the active party members. This choice was just made more explicit and decorrelated from combat in cold steel, which are advantages in my book.

To me, the real letdown may come from the execution rather than the concept of bonding points. Optional romances (specifically, "harem" situations), character development confined in the bonding points, and the pervasiveness of the main character are the biggest potential problems.

I wish more games had a system like the quick time events (or whatever it was called) of ff9.

Edit: sorry for the rant

Last edited:

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
That being said, I kind of like having to make choices for bonding scenes. I'm not necessarily interested equally in each character, and reading all of the bonding moments wouldn't be very good for the pace of the game (especially when reading super slowly in Japanese).
iirc, the way bond points worked in CS1 was you didn't have to consume all (or any) of them to advance the plot. Is that not the case in CS3?

zrk

Nov 2, 2017
iirc, the way bond points worked in CS1 was you didn't have to consume all (or any) of them to advance the plot. Is that not the case in CS3?
Yes I suppose I could move the plot forward without using all the points.
I'm just kind of unable to waste"points" that were given to me in a game :-p.

I see your point, though: There could be unlimited bonding points since the player can advance the plot if they want to.

But I think that forcing a certain pace by limiting the bonding points is not necessarily a bad move, narratively speaking. IMO "more options" is not always better in a very story-driven game

Dec 18, 2017
Wow, that's soon.

And I haven't even finished 3rd, yet. Oh well, at least I have plenty to catch up on and won't to wait.
I'm happy for everyone getting play this so soon.

I hope the other Legend of Heroes games are soon to come.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone hoping for quickly finish CS1 to catch up to the series, take note:

X1k4jpM.png

That's with excessive use of Turbo Mode.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, the runs game fine on my PC without a locale emulator, you just get totally messed up characters, of course. With the fan translation, it might therefore not be necessary to change locale anymore, as it won't need to show Japanese characters.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, the runs game fine on my PC without a locale emulator, you just get totally messed up characters, of course. With the fan translation, it might therefore not be necessary to change locale anymore, as it won't need to show Japanese characters.
Most of English fan translations for Japanese VNs still need locale emulator, FWIW.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This makes me wonder if I missed some things in SC, my time is almost half of that.

Perhaps you are not curious enough... not interested in what the chests (or less importantly, the people) are thinking ?
:p anyway, there is no second half of a game in case you fit certain requirements on your playthrough, if you get the ending, that's it for the core of the story.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
You probably missed on some of the NPC stories, but beyond that there really isn't anything missable.

Guess I didn't even know about those. I think I did every bounty board quest but I don't really talk to random npcs more than once. Having the turbo button held down 90% of the time too probably had something to do with it. Currently finishing up the 3rd before moving on to CS and it seems drastically shorter so far.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3rd is definitely way shorter than FC/SC which isn't too surprising given the structure

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Guess I didn't even know about those. I think I did every bounty board quest but I don't really talk to random npcs more than once. Having the turbo button held down 90% of the time too probably had something to do with it. Currently finishing up the 3rd before moving on to CS and it seems drastically shorter so far.
Here's something to blow your mind - each and every NPC has new dialogue after each and every main board quest.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
I
Here's something to blow your mind - each and every NPC has new dialogue after each and every main board quest.

I knew that actually. Think I was just a little burned out going straight from FC (talked to people a lot more on that one) to SC and they just usually didn't have much of anything that interesting to say. I was more interested in the main characters and story than anything. And exploring wasn't as exciting in SC either for obvious reasons so some time was gained there too.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Fuck it XSeed will be getting my Ys 8 money for this, NISA really fucked up this time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These games are like dragon quest?

I haven't played any DQ games, but most people compare these games to the Suikoden series. The Trails games are known for their stories, worldbuilding, and character development. Among JRPG's they're second to none when it comes to building a believable world that feels alive, down to the throwaway NPC's that each have their own little story to tell.

Combat-wise, the games are turn-based and take place on a grid (well, less of a grid than an open area in Cold Steel).

372126859657216012.png

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Almost done with Chapter 5 on my replay of CS1 so this comes just in time. Been dying to replay CS2 for a while since its my second favorite only to SC.

Also super excited for that Zero translation coming this summer as well!

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Finally a date. I held off playing my PS3 copy for what felt like forever. I'm not even grateful. Just gimme that thing! *wrestles to nab it*

kirin

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, I had a feeling Durante would include ultrawide support. As a 21:9 user I wish the series had the graphic engine and artstyle to compliment ultrawide aspect ratio. But that a whole another thing to be discuss. The fact that it's in there is still good for pcgaming.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to replay these on PC with all the visual improvements but these games are so damn big and there really isn't much incentive to replay them. Truth be told, both of them are too long for their own good.
Fantastic games though, can't wait for CS3 and the fan translation for Zero.

Major kudos to Durante for the amazing work on these ports.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Same price as CS1, perfectly fine by me, and I'm looking forward to replaying CS2!

Probably a 10% launch discount like they usually do, too, I would wager.

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
Bayonetta 1+2, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, Secret of Mana, Fe, Dynasty Warriors 9 and Kingdom Come: Deliverance also all release that week.

It is beyond dumb to release your game in that week. Who is in charge of marketing over there?

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Just realized that it's been 2 years since I played the first game... doesn't feel like that long. While I'm definitely not going to play both of these back-to-back, I kinda want to play through the first game again on PC. Will be interesting if Cold Steel 3 reaches the US this year, and I end up playing through all 3 in 2018.

Edit: Oh yeah, will the new graphical upgrades for Cold Steel 2 (like PCSS) make it into the port of the first game? Or is the tech side of that one basically set at this point?

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap with a jump like that I might have to rebuy it.....

Is there any way to get a Save from the Vita onto PC so I can load a new game+?
I don't think so, but if the first game is any indication there should be NG+ saves lying around fairly quickly after launch

Edit: Oh yeah, will the new graphical upgrades for Cold Steel 2 (like PCSS) make it into the port of the first game? Or is the tech side of that one basically set at this point?
I think Durante mentioned elsewhere that PCSS specifically won't make it due to some difficulties, but I think he still plans on going back to the first game at some point for other things