• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 22, 2020
www.bloomberg.com

Michelin Strips Stars from New York’s Carbone, Marea, and Peter Luger

‘There’s a feeling of evolution’ as two new Manhattan dining rooms gained two stars as other stalwarts lost theirs.

Carbone, Marea, and Peter Luger—three restaurants that have defined New York's power dining scene over the past several decades—all lost their stars. "This year in New York, there's a feeling of evolution," says the chief inspector of Michelin's North America team, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the nature of his job.

The New York Times ran a famously scathing review of Peter Luger back in 2019, which kicked off a significant cratering of its public perception. It made some major adjustments during COVID, but it appears that the downfall of Peter Luger continues.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
Most interesting to me was Eleven Madison Park went vegan and has retained their 3 stars. Had a great, creatively plant-based, surprisingly fun (i.e., not staid atmosphere) meal there

Lowkey20

Nov 18, 2020
They've been overrated for years. It's a tourist attraction at this point. There are a lot of better steak houses in NYC.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most interesting to me was Eleven Madison Park went vegan and has retained their 3 stars. Had a great, creatively plant-based, surprisingly fun (i.e., not staid atmosphere) meal there
This username and post check out 😂

Love going to plant-based restaurants, so this one is now on the long list

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It's very old-school but it's not high end by today's standard.

I'm not surprised about Marea either. I really loved the cousin restaurant Morini in SoHo but it became much worse when the chef Michael White left that restaurant group. I don't know what happened behind the scenes but the regulars who used to work there are gone and now they have burgers and pizzas and chicken parm on the menu. I like burgers and chicken parm as much as the next guy but it's not part of authentic Emilia-Romagna food and it shows a lack of focus to add them. Blatantly an investor decision.

Also Carbone is a socialite-bating joke. Follow a Marcella Hazan cookbook and buy good ingredients you can easily make anything they serve there, you're just paying for the theater of hot guys in waiter tuxes. Which is fine, but let's be real about it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity I checked the Musso and Frank's menu, which has never had a star, but it somehow combines the old school "expensive giant hunk of meat" entrées with a Cheesecake Factory-sized rolodex of food options.

Musso and Frank’s Entree Menu | Musso and Frank

Musso and Frank’s entree menu is served all day and features steak, fish, prime rib, roast, lamb, Italian favorites, timeless classics and daily specials.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah a few people I know that went there in the past 3 years said it felt more like a tourist trap than anything else. All said I wasn't missing much when I asked how it was.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
End of an era, Peter Luger's was S-tier for a long time. Frankly, it's still great but there are better steakhouses in NYC. I respect that it holds on to the super old-school aesthetic and menu items, but maybe it's time for places like this to evolve and modernize its service and quality.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Don't think this will shock anyone. Lugers is still enjoyable but the restaurant world is, like the article hinted at, very much about evolution. Nowadays the old school steakhouses don't really move beyond their boundaries, and lugers has a much bigger popular profile than the others.

Marea is also no surprise; it was, when i went years ago, the fucking definition of boring as fuck executed really really well. Le Bernardin which kept it's stars by comparison, was still old school, but you can almost set a clock to the consistency and balance between trying new things and sticking to traditions.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
End of an era, Peter Luger's was S-tier for a long time. Frankly, it's still great but there are better steakhouses in NYC. I respect that it holds on to the super old-school aesthetic and menu items, but maybe it's time for places like this to evolve and modernize its service and quality.
I have been to some high end steakhouses.

Its possible that my palate is not the greatest but I find there is only so good food can generally taste.

The difference between these places is often atmosphere and service. And eventually the novelty. No matter how great a restaurant is, you are going to want to try something new.

But to your point what do you think are the best steakhouses in NYC these days?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Last time I went it was a two hour wait after my reservation while the old school waiters sat their friends ahead of us, and I almost got physical with ours when we started arguing over a side he didn't bring over but swore he did.

Id go there for the burger at lunch, but outside of that they can fuck themselves. Its a terrible place coasting on name and 'relatively' fairly priced steak in NYC. When a dude shot a family member there (non mob related) after his meal i was like, this tracks, lol

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I have a few friends who recently received Michelin Stars when Michelin came to Florida. I had no idea that stars could be revoked, but that makes sense.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
Peter Luger's has been coasting on it's name for at least a decade, the meat is Outback level of quality but the service is significantly worse. That are such better and amazing steakhouses with a storied history in the city, Old Homestead and Keen's being my personal favorites. And as far as contemporary atmosphere goes Bowery Meat Company is an absolutely incredible fine dining experience.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a few friends who recently received Michelin Stars when Michelin came to Florida. I had no idea that stars could be revoked, but that makes sense.

There is a whole movie about that

p_ratatouille_19736_0814231f.jpeg

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Peter Lugers was good when I went in 2018 but didnt blow my mind like I expected it to.

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of paying $50 for a steak is so ridiculous to me.

50 dollars isn't bad for a good steak at a nice restaurant

There is a steakhouse in Toronto where you can choose what farm the steak came from and last time I checked their menu they had 200 dollar (CAD) steaks

Or just buy a good steak and sous vide cook it at home for a fraction of the price but that's comparing apples to oranges

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
50 dollars isn't bad for a good steak at a nice restaurant

There is a steakhouse in Toronto where you can choose what farm the steak came from and last time I checked their menu they had 200 dollar (CAD) steaks

Or just buy a good steak and sous vide cook it at home for a fraction of the price but that's comparing apples to oranges
There is literally nothing that can be done to a steak to make it worth that kind of money. It's literally just a scam being run on rich people who think spending money makes them a higher class of person. I'll stick to my much cheaper and much better food.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
I remember always seeing Peter Luger's on travel channel or Food Network

when it comes to a good steak, what I really want to try is Hanwoo beef. Wagyu is fantastic

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
"No credit cards are accepted at either Brooklyn or Great Neck locations"

Can somebody explain to me why this is the case for former Michelin star restaurant?
I remember watching one of those shows on Food Channel or Travel Channel saying they wanted to keep it simple and traditional.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
A steak at Outback is gonna be $50 in 10 years. $50 is nothing for a steak.
i can see there that you like steak

but 50 bucks is a lot though.

"but some places will charge you a LOT more" isn't the solution people think it is, I think to myself after making a perfect cast iron pan flat iron steak last night.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017

Great steak at home is definitely possible but sous vide for steak is a crime against the steak in my opinion, plus you're sitting around for 2 hours waiting. If you're not confident in your cooking, a reverse sear is just as "easy" with consistently better results. I prefer a traditional sear the finish in the oven until 10 degrees below target temp then rest for 10 minutes.

to anyone who wants to make great steak at home, get a copy of the food lab by kenji lopez

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Last time I went it was a two hour wait after my reservation while the old school waiters sat their friends ahead of us, and I almost got physical with ours when we started arguing over a side he didn't bring over but swore he did.

Id go there for the burger at lunch, but outside of that they can fuck themselves. Its a terrible place coasting on name and 'relatively' fairly priced steak in NYC. When a dude shot a family member there (non mob related) after his meal i was like, this tracks, lol

I remember watching one of those shows on Food Channel or Travel Channel saying they wanted to keep it simple and traditional.

See, that's the thing. If you're going to keep it simple and traditional, down-to-earth quality and service is fucking essential; unless attitude is a REAL part of the charm.

Not taking credit cards and dicking your customers isn't tradition. Or at least, not ones that's worth anyone giving a shit about.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
There's a restaurant near me that became famous like 25 years ago and it ended up becoming a tourist attraction more than a local spot. I don't know if that's a result of their fame or if the quality went down so the locals stopped going. Either way, despite mediocrity and poor reviews it's still popular because their business is no longer based on repeat business and they get fresh tourists every day.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
User warned: antagonizing other users

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a $50 steak is that unreasonable but when I can hit up a churrascaria for roughly the same price it's a tough sell

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
I think some of you are missing the point. A steak is NOT worth $50.
If you're spending $50 on a steak, you're wasting your money.
If you're spending $200 on a steak, you're an asshole.
While it may seem like a rip off to you, you are speaking from pure ignorance. I think you underestimate how much time and labor goes into getting an amazing cut of dry aged wagyu from farm to table. I am happy to treat myself to a $100 plus steak once or twice a year and never regret it. Maybe not for you but no need to shit on others.

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
People like what they like. Spending money to see a movie you can watch at home is wasting money. Going to a sporting event that's on TV is a waste of money. Paying for the highest internet speed is a waste of money. Getting a fully loaded car is a waste of money. Going to a gym is a waste of money. Buying a treadmill when you can run outside is a waste of money. I could go on and on. But who cares? Let people spend their earned money on whatever they want.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
My family cooks really well, I love NY Strip steak dinners I have had at home for like $15-$20 (per person) for all the ingredients. Food at restaurants, even fast food, is no longer worth it. Especially when you have no idea how clean the cooking area is and how hygienic the people are who are handling the food.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
"hey I've got the money, I can afford it!!" isn't the flex people think it is either...

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
A good steak should cost $50 honestly given the global warming impacts of cows and the drought impacts caused by alfalfa farming. Cheap meat (and I eat a ton of meat so I am part of the problem) has not been a good thing for the planet.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
My family cooks really well, I love NY Strip steak dinners I have had at home for like $15-$20 (per person) for all the ingredients. Food at restaurants, even fast food, is no longer worth it. Especially when you have no idea how clean the cooking area is and how hygienic the people are who are handling the food.
If it costs $20 to make a good steak at home, a restaurant charging $50 for a good steak is totally reasonable.