Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
"no body should be able to eat steak.....unless they're rich....because the environment"

okay the takes bus...stop here, i'm getting off.

"actually the economics check out perfectly fine, I dont care about your experiences outside of the expensive steak economy restaurant industry."

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
While it may seem like a rip off to you, you are speaking from pure ignorance. I think you underestimate how much time and labor goes into getting an amazing cut of dry aged wagyu from farm to table. I am happy to treat myself to a $100 plus steak once or twice a year and never regret it. Maybe not for you but no need to shit on others.
You can tell me it's the greatest steak in the world and eating it would be a one time experience that I would never forget and I still wouldn't consider it worth $100.

People like what they like. Spending money to see a movie you can watch at home is wasting money. Going to a sporting event that's on TV is a waste of money. Paying for the highest internet speed is a waste of money. Getting a fully loaded car is a waste of money. Going to a gym is a waste of money. Buying a treadmill when you can run outside is a waste of money. I could go on and on. But who cares? Let people spend their earned money on whatever they want.
Completely irrelevant list. One thing is not the other. Food is not internet service.
I'm sorry if me very mildly making fun of the rich was upsetting to you.

A good steak should cost $50 honestly given the global warming impacts of cows and the drought impacts caused by alfalfa farming. Cheap meat (and I eat a ton of meat so I am part of the problem) has not been a good thing for the planet.
Now this is an interesting perspective that I hadn't considered before. However, I feel like that thought process can very quickly be manipulated into "well sacrifice the poor's ability to eat well and healthy", you know? It's already happening. The price of groceries is dramatically increasing to the point where it's no longer possible for a lot of working class families across the lower class to middle class to afford to eat well and/or healthy. There really ISN'T such a thing as "cheap meat" anymore.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
If it costs $20 to make a good steak at home, a restaurant charging $50 for a good steak is totally reasonable.

It is reasonable in NY, but there are drawbacks (wait time, errors/rudeness with staff, cleanliness uncertainty, quality concerns for $50 steak meal with NY pricing etc.).

To me, it just is not worth it since I love the dishes my family has cooked for years and I have even learned to cook them myself. And I know the value of getting it at home versus at a business. But if you cant cook or just feel like gambling on getting a great dining experience then there is nothing wrong with treating yourself. I just think most will feel like their $50 could have been spent elsewhere since I can´t imagine a $50 steak dinner (that the restaurant expects to be very profitable) to really nail the expectations.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
It is reasonable in NY, but there are drawbacks (wait time, errors/rudeness with staff, cleanliness uncertainty, quality concerns for $50 steak meal with NY pricing etc.).

To me, it just is not worth it since I love the dishes my family has cooked for years and I have even learned to cook them myself. And I know the value of getting it at home versus at a business. But if you cant cook or just feel like gambling on getting a great dining experience then there is nothing wrong with treating yourself. I just think most will feel like their $50 could have been spent elsewhere since I can´t imagine a $50 steak dinner (that the restaurant expects to be very profitable) to really nail the expectations.

I love my own steaks at home as well, but it's apples and oranges.

Place I been to, but never paid.
Mortons Prime Ribeye 16oz. Dry aged for 23-28 days. $65 (Just the steak)
Local grocery Prime Ribeye 16oz aged for 14days. $32

So twice the price, but aged twice as long and prepared for you, not to mention the "experience" of a high end restraunt, which is completly subjective.

Honestly the apetizers and sides are way more un reasonable. $12 for soup, $17 for Prosciutto Wrapped Mozzarella(delicious as it is).

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I have been to some high end steakhouses.

Its possible that my palate is not the greatest but I find there is only so good food can generally taste.

The difference between these places is often atmosphere and service. And eventually the novelty. No matter how great a restaurant is, you are going to want to try something new.

But to your point what do you think are the best steakhouses in NYC these days?

In NYC? Keens, St. Anselm, some chains like American Cut or STK, Cote (Korean steakhouse) are delivering on that atmosphere/service bit. Great cuts of meat, great cocktails, great vibe and ambiance.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is literally nothing that can be done to a steak to make it worth that kind of money. It's literally just a scam being run on rich people who think spending money makes them a higher class of person. I'll stick to my much cheaper and much better food.
This is pretty ignorant imo. Quality of meat and the experience factor in to the price. $50 for a good steak really isn't that bad.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty ignorant imo. Quality of meat and the experience factor in to the price. $50 for a good steak really isn't that bad.
If you go by flavor things can only taste so good. At a certain point it won't taste that much better than something cheaper and you are paying for presentation, atmosphere, service etc.

How much that is worth is up to the individual.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Been to the BK location a bunch as a kid and a couple years ago even, didn't consider it a michelin star tier at all lol but it's fun

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
There is literally nothing that can be done to a steak to make it worth that kind of money. It's literally just a scam being run on rich people who think spending money makes them a higher class of person. I'll stick to my much cheaper and much better food.
Eating at any sit down restaurant is a waste of money. It's a luxury no matter how you slice it. Some people enjoy the experience and it's more than just food value.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Eating at any sit down restaurant is a waste of money. It's a luxury no matter how you slice it. Some people enjoy the experience and it's more than just food value.
That was replying to a post talking about a $200 steak.
I do think $50 is too expensive but you're equating my reaction to two different things into one.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
That was replying to a post talking about a $200 steak.
I do think $50 is too expensive but you're equating my reaction to two different things into one.
I'm not trying to fight with you or anything and I actually love going to fancy restaurants since food is one of the only things I really enjoy. However, I can get a solid steak at the grocery store for like $12-$15. So when we are talking $50 or $200 both are a huge luxury and really cannot be justified on a practical level.

Oct 25, 2017
Great steak at home is definitely possible but sous vide for steak is a crime against the steak in my opinion, plus you're sitting around for 2 hours waiting. If you're not confident in your cooking, a reverse sear is just as "easy" with consistently better results. I prefer a traditional sear the finish in the oven until 10 degrees below target temp then rest for 10 minutes.

to anyone who wants to make great steak at home, get a copy of the food lab by kenji lopez

2 hours would be a massive steak

I usually do 1 hour and then sear it on a grill or in a pan

It's pretty great

Dec 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Out of curiosity I checked the Musso and Frank's menu, which has never had a star, but it somehow combines the old school "expensive giant hunk of meat" entrées with a Cheesecake Factory-sized rolodex of food options.

Musso and Frank’s Entree Menu | Musso and Frank

Musso and Frank’s entree menu is served all day and features steak, fish, prime rib, roast, lamb, Italian favorites, timeless classics and daily specials.

I just had Musso and Frank's last and it was amazing. It was one of the best steaks I have ever had. And it was less expensive then I was expecting.

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
You can tell me it's the greatest steak in the world and eating it would be a one time experience that I would never forget and I still wouldn't consider it worth $100.

Completely irrelevant list. One thing is not the other. Food is not internet service.
I'm sorry if me very mildly making fun of the rich was upsetting to you.

You're not upsetting me but nice try. Nor is my list irrelevant. Your stance is basically a 50 dollar steak is a waste of money because it can be had cheaper. So I listed a ton of shit that would also be considered a waste of money because there's cheaper options out there. You can dismiss it all you want, but that doesn't make it irrelevant. It makes you a hypocrite. And just out of curiosity, what device are you using to browse reset? Because I'm sure you could find a cheaper option, making your device a waste of money.

Hu3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spending 50 on a good steak: one of the little pleasures of life that you actually take with you "preposterous!!!!!"

Spending hundreds on games and hardware "excellence"

People really have their priorities twisted.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Spending 50 on a good steak: one of the little pleasures of life that you actually take with you "preposterous!!!!!"

IlliterateCarefulHypacrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I've been to Morton's and Ruth's Chris but only because work was footing the bill.
It was very good.
Restaurants like that get better quality cuts of meat and there's the whole experience and all.
Personally I don't think it's worth if I'm paying but everyone has their tastes.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018

Asking this in all genuine honesty; how do you take eating a good steak "with you" any moreso than experiencing a piece of art/entertainment?

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Extremely underwhelmed when I went there and I'm not a food snob. Ruth Chris steakhouse is waaaaayyyyyyy better.

Hu3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asking this in all genuine honesty; how do you take eating a good steak "with you" any moreso than experiencing a piece of art/entertainment?

All those games and hardware is going into the trash bin as soon as you die, your family members don't see the value we as enthusiast see.

Eating food is primordial for us, therefore eating good food will elevate all of your senses, living that experience.

It's pretty cynical To tell people spending X amount of money for good food is a " waste"

When in this forum you got people spending thousands of dollars on gadgets and trinket's, but that's not a waste.

May 25, 2019
London
Went to Peter Luger's for a bachelor party dinner a few years ago and came away pretty unimpressed. This doesn't surprise me at all

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
steak turns into poop, but video games don't. clearly video games are the superior investment

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
I think some of you are missing the point. A steak is NOT worth $50.
If you're spending $50 on a steak, you're wasting your money.
If you're spending $200 on a steak, you're an asshole.

"I don't like it so it's stupid!"

its the experience, people can enjoy nice things beyond only what you like - if you dont want to or can't comprehend why it's enjoyable, it doesn't make it stupid. There's certainly no need to call anyone an asshole on top of that. It's a nice meal, not a yacht lol

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I've been to Morton's and Ruth's Chris but only because work was footing the bill.
It was very good.
Restaurants like that get better quality cuts of meat and there's the whole experience and all.
Personally I don't think it's worth if I'm paying but everyone has their tastes.

This is where I'm at. Work pays for a nice holiday dinner every year. Been to Mortons, Ocean Prime and Flemmings. We get seafood tower(s), plus some other appetizers. We get plenty of sides, most everyone gets a nice steak and as many drinks as you can handle or want. It's a good time and it feels good to say fuck it and live large for a day.

The most I've paid for my wife and myself to eat is probably $150 at a nice restraunt.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
All those games and hardware is going into the trash bin as soon as you die, your family members don't see the value we as enthusiast see.

Eating food is primordial for us, therefore eating good food will elevate all of your senses, living that experience.

It's pretty cynical To tell people spending X amount of money for good food is a " waste"

When in this forum you got people spending thousands of dollars on gadgets and trinket's, but that's not a waste.
Eating good food "elevates all your senses"? How? Moreso than consuming art? I mean, technically your family doesnt see the value in the super tasty food you eat either.

The "primordial" need to consume matter in order to survive until the next day is well far removed evolutionarily from the modern culture we are talking about wherein we have the leisure time and luxury to pay bunches of money to eat particular foods in particular ways that we particularly like.

Dont get me wrong, I dont agree with people reflexively shitting on the idea of spending relatively large amounts of money for particular culinary experiences, but it just seems like shitting on people for spending large amounts of money to experience art they enjoy seems equally misguided.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
The steaks at the market here look like they were possessed by some sort of fungus and cost $20 each.

Not sure if a butcher would be cheaper, but that's just crazy to me. It costs less to eat steak in the restaurant around here.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to fight with you or anything and I actually love going to fancy restaurants since food is one of the only things I really enjoy. However, I can get a solid steak at the grocery store for like $12-$15. So when we are talking $50 or $200 both are a huge luxury and really cannot be justified on a practical level.
an expensive restaurant steak is going to be way better than a $12 grocery store steak. Now, I don't think your average chain restaurant steak is really worth getting since that's where it's easy for me to make a steak just as good or better at home with just a regular grocery store cut for less money, but at least a good steakhouse should have better cuts, aged meat, etc. where it's not as easy to replicate at home.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Eating good food "elevates all your senses"? How? Moreso than consuming art? I mean, technically your family doesnt see the value in the super tasty food you eat either.

The "primordial" need to consume matter in order to survive until the next day is well far removed evolutionarily from the modern culture we are talking about wherein we have the leisure time and luxury to pay bunches of money to eat particular foods in particular ways that we particularly like.

Dont get me wrong, I dont agree with people reflexively shitting on the idea of spending relatively large amounts of money for particular culinary experiences, but it just seems like shitting on people for spending large amounts of money to experience art they enjoy seems equally misguided.
Honestly conversations bashing all forms of consumerism need to stop on this forum. People seem to condemn the ones they can live without so they can sleep at night because there are ones they cannot give up no matter the human and environmental costs.

We're all assholes. Just enjoy what you want that doesn't directly fuck someone else over, because everything leads back to someone or some thing getting fucked over indirectly.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018

How many hours will I get out of the game? Are we talking full price only or discount?

I bought Fallout: New Vegas for like $2.50 on Steam and it's given me 100s of hours of fun and because I play on PC, there's plenty of mods to keep it fresh. That's just one game and because of sales, I have loads more.

I've eaten $50+ steaks before and not a single one has ever come close to the joy I get from some of my favorite games - some of which I've put 100s of hours in.

Hell, I routinely get $10 - $20 at places like Texas Roudhouse and Outback (more so the Roudhouse) that I would say are better than the $50 steaks I've eaten. They may not have the fancy atmosphere and stuff of the more expensive places, but they were good food.

You like the $50 steaks? Good for you, but I would prefer that money to go to a pleasant experience that last longer than a meal - especially when I can get good/great meals for a fraction of the cost.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
WTF at comparing spending money on expensive food with buying video games. One of them you can use for hundreds / thousands of hours. The other gets shit out the next day.

And saying eating fancy expensive food elevates all of your senses might be the most pretentious thing ever said on this forum.

I love good food, but goddamn.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
"No credit cards are accepted at either Brooklyn or Great Neck locations"

Can somebody explain to me why this is the case for former Michelin star restaurant?
They want you to use their Peter Luger credit card. When I was there there were old men with Costanza wallets who were paying with it — doesn't strike me as the kind of place that would have upgraded to an app by now.

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
There's a LOT of mediocre steakhouses in NYC, despite the word of mouth telling a different story.

Really gotta search for the right ones.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone keeps saying there better steakhouses, but no one is saying which. I need some good restaurants to go to!

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
been there twice growing up, def in the camp that thinks they're overrated. Their sauce is good but a good steak doesnt really need sauce (i use it on chicken)

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
How many hours will I get out of the game? Are we talking full price only or discount?

I bought Fallout: New Vegas for like $2.50 on Steam and it's given me 100s of hours of fun and because I play on PC, there's plenty of mods to keep it fresh. That's just one game and because of sales, I have loads more.

I've eaten $50+ steaks before and not a single one has ever come close to the joy I get from some of my favorite games - some of which I've put 100s of hours in.

Hell, I routinely get $10 - $20 at places like Texas Roudhouse and Outback (more so the Roudhouse) that I would say are better than the $50 steaks I've eaten. They may not have the fancy atmosphere and stuff of the more expensive places, but they were good food.

You like the $50 steaks? Good for you, but I would prefer that money to go to a pleasant experience that last longer than a meal - especially when I can get good/great meals for a fraction of the cost.

The quality of the steak doesnt matter as much if it isnt cooked or seasoned correctly. Outback and chain restaurants are consistent about lathering in butter and dousing in seasoning.. it can make any steak taste decent. It sounds like you dont really understand why people enjoy spending money on a nice meal. I've had $200 tasting menus that absolutely are not replaceable by Outback steakhouse in terms of quality, memorability, experience. To each their own.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Shocked it had it for so long. The amount of absolutely incredible 1 star Michelin restaurants that I have been to is quite long - like how do you only have 1 star with the amount of effort into these meals. But that's how competitive it is. So no place for dinosaur steakhouses with the same old boring menus.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Eating good steak is like going to a concert or a movie or sports game or some expensive event. You got posters here spending hundreds of $$ for a regular season game while those same folks are probably bashing these steaks. Is all about the experience and YOLO. I don't make much and I enjoy a high end piece of meat once a year because to me it is worth it just like those who spends hundreds of dollars for a show, sports game or concert.