• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
variety.com

Ageless Auteurs: Scorsese Eyes Frank Sinatra Biopic With Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence, Spielberg Tackling UFO Movie and More

Martin Scorsese is eyeing a Frank Sinatra biopic, Steven Spielberg is set to make a UFO movie, and more aging auteurs

Other news:

The Oscar-winning director (Scorsese) who helped usher in the Hollywood New Wave of the 1970s is looking to bypass the studio system and independently finance "Life of Jesus," based on Shūsaku Endō's 1973 book.
In fact, Scorsese would like to reunite with "Silence" star Andrew Garfield for the Jesus project, though it's unclear if the 40-year-old actor is being eyed for the titular role or to play one of the disciples. (Scholars believe Jesus died sometime between the ages of 33 and 38.) Miles Teller has also been eyed for the picture. Production is expected to begin later this year and shoot in Israel, Italy and Egypt.
Also on the immediate horizon is a Scorsese collaboration with Steven Spielberg on a "Cape Fear" TV series for Apple TV+.
For his part, Spielberg, 77, is also staying busy. He will likely make his next project a UFO film based on his own original idea. David Koepp is writing the screenplay, sources say.
But maybe no feat of career longevity is as impressive as that of Clint Eastwood. The 93-year-old director just wrapped postproduction on "Juror No. 2."

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be lying if I said a SInatra biopic is what I want to see with the likely few years we have left of Scorsese being a working director, but whatever excited him to keep working I suppose.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Hopefully there's a shot of him visiting Mia right before he gets sick and you hear his her son in another room yelling about people's gaming tastes on his online forum.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I'm intrigued. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of his work, regardless of the form it takes.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
He's been trying to get a Dean Martin/Rat Pack centered story made for like 4 decades now (he's been talking about it since the 70's). he's excited, I'm excited. this seems like the only way to do it.

Maybe he'll next do a Martin & Lewis film and then a Sammy Davis Jr. biopic.

Then he makes his Rat Back Cinematic Universe by making an Avengers style film with Lawford and Bishop.

"You must become the thing you hate".

Jan 20, 2022
Love Scorsese. Love DiCaprio. Love Sinatra.

Kind of sounds like a boring movie.

Is Leo playing Frank? Sinatra has one of the most iconic voices of all time and Leo sounds... absolutely nothing like him

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't sinatra famously a prick?
Like most people he had good and bad, and like most celebrities those good and bad things were a little extra. He had multiple affairs, may have had mafia ties, made some racist remarks (which were pretty typical for any white male of that time - he was actually outspoken about advocating for civil rights), and there are even accounts that he had been seen shoving women at an event.

OP
OP
sazz

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
would be nice to see Scorsese reunite with Garfield for the Jesus film, I think he could definitely pull off the lea

also JLaw and Scorsese is definitely a great match, happy to see her work under a legend

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Scorcese working on like... five different movies right now? I know they announced an adaptation of The Wager few years ago. He is also apparently working on a movie about Jesus too.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Meh to the Sinatra film but that Jesus film sounds cool.

Last Temptation of Christ is one of his best.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
An incredibly boring proposition.

The Cape Fear project sounds interesting, and Spielberg doing a UFO film has my attention.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
You know, the more I think of it, this is really gonna be Marty firing on all cylinders.

- mafia elements
- tons of crooner music
- period piece (can't wait to see his New York and maybe even Vegas again)
- tons of opportunities for montages set to contemporary music

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The day Scorsese stops making movies is the day he falls over dead. Hope he's putting out film at 100

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
it mentions his 2nd wife so its probably gonna be more middle aged Sinatra. I could see DiCaprio doing that.

Biopics don't normally do anything for me but im down for anything Scorcese does. He's a master at his craft.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wish Scorsese would be open to casting different actors in lead roles. That's part of why I like Silence so much, no De Niro, DiCaprio, etc. I get that he's old though and probably just wants to go with actors he can count on.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Biopics...

giphy.gif

Oct 28, 2017
So The Aviator Pt 2? Aviator is one of my least favorite Scorsese movies, but of course I will see this one right away, cause it's Scorsese. This subject matter just doesn't interest me much at all

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
isn't he also attached to The Wager, the naval story from the same author as Killers of the Flower Moon?

OP
OP
sazz

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
isn't he also attached to The Wager, the naval story from the same author as Killers of the Flower Moon?
I think it was meant to be his next film after KOTFM, but it seems he's doing the Jesus film first, so maybe after that especially since they haven't agreed terms with the Sinatra household yet for that film, but I'm just guessing

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Biopics, especially ones about musicians tend to not be particularly interesting.

Hopefully Scorsese has a more interesting angle than playing Sinatra's greatest hits under a highlight real of his life

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So The Aviator Pt 2? Aviator is one of my least favorite Scorsese movies, but of course I will see this one right away, cause it's Scorsese. This subject matter just doesn't interest me much at all
The Aviator is awesome though, probably his second best Leo collab after Killers. Or maybe third after Wolf. Either way it's great.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
This seems too important to leave out
The Sinatra project could also hit some snags: The legendary crooner's daughter Tina Sinatra controls her father's estate and hasn't yet given her blessing to the film. But that hasn't stopped Scorsese from putting together a killer cast that would see frequent collaborator Leonardo DiCaprio playing the singer and Jennifer Lawrence portraying his second wife, actress Ava Gardner, sources say. It was Gardner who broke up Sinatra's marriage with Nancy Barbato, Tina's mother.
Scorsese can probably still wrangle the required cash for the rights but any signs of reluctance could water down attempts at a critical look at Sinatra's legacy.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
He has a ton of stuff in pre-production, seems unlikely they'll all stick. Getting actors on board could indicate this one is farther along but as noted above also could be a ploy to get the movie OK'd by Sinatra's estate.

Not sure he really needs that though. I don't think you can stop a biography from being made, you don't control the rights to a person from history you just either give blessing or don't.