• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 18, 2020

Looks like she deleted the tweet promoting the video. Maybe her agent had a good talk with her about how promoting blatant transphobia and general anti-science insanity to her massive audience probably wasn't the best look for her future career 🤣

This one is still up though 🤣

Remember folks, if it contains LUCIFER in the name that means THE ENZYMES ARE THE DEEP STATE 5G BILL GATES REINCARNATION OF THE DARK LORD SATAN

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meaaannn, here's her newest tweet

EDIT: I see it was already posted. I feel she's trying to walk back the transphobia, but not the rest

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
54032547b7fa2.jpeg

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's true enough. Many people won't find it worth it to talk shit about people while they're still hot. Which makes sense, and I feel like the internet is weird that way. To someone you know, it's easy to casually say "yeah, I don't like her," but online you basically have to strip away all the nuance so people don't assume the wrong thing about you.

So yeah, I guess I get it.

PS: Thank you! And yeah, you were spot on :P

I guess that's the worth part about the Internet, No nuance allowed!

But of course people abuse nuance so it's all a shitshow...

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Smokeymicpot this "stop caring what famous people think" isn't a good stance to take.

Look at the recent developments in the UK regarding puberty blockers. A lot of harmful policy has taken hold and a lot of it stems directly from hateful bigotry platformed by JK Rowling against trans women.

Honestly, compared to the UK, the US is very progressive when it comes to Trans rights. Allowing famous people to share bigotry as we shouldn't care what they think is the start of a slilpery slope.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I like how it's on us to ignore the people who contribute to our deaths, and that doing so will magically fix everything. Sounds more like they just don't want to see social issues on their favorite forums.
I think that's a pretty disingenuous read of the situation. The more reasonable read is that we are giving these people and, more specifically, these views attention and, to a degree, signal boosting them. Letitia is now trending on Twitter as a result of this, and while a good amount of that is negativity towards her, some amount of people are inevitably being exposed to these views of hers for the first time, and potentially being affected by them.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
By talking about them, we are signal boosting them and giving them influence.
You're conflating the general influence people give to them — which is the material concern — and people talking about those who espouse bigotry to broad audiences. The latter ignoring the effect of the former does nothing to diminish it but instead allows it to fester uncontested.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Michael B Jordan is a fine actor, but Killmonger better stay dead after the bad joke he turned out to be in the movie. Irredeemable.

Time for M'Baku to shine

image.webp

This would be pretty cool to see the change in fighting from the first few BP related movies to him. Goes from quick agile cat to hulking juggernaut.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You're conflating the general influence people give to them — which is the material concern — and people talking about those who espouse bigotry to broad audiences. The latter ignoring the effect of the former does nothing to diminish it but instead allows it to fester uncontested.
Unfortunately, those things are connected.
no?
we aren't talking about people who do not have already public influence, you do not signal boost JK rowling by talking how harmful and shitty she is, she already has a megaphone and a public.
From my perspective, any time something is talked about to the point that it becomes a trending Twitter issue, we are essentially providing an even larger megaphone for said person or people. I don't know what the solution is outside of pushing them off of the platform, but I definitely see the way they're trending to be potentially very dangerous.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

From my perspective, any time something is talked about to the point that it becomes a trending Twitter issue, we are essentially providing an even larger megaphone for said person or people. I don't know what the solution is outside of pushing them off of the platform, but I definitely see the way they're trending to be potentially very dangerous.
Being blunt; your shallow takes are pretty meaningless in response to the reality of the situation. Which is that people espousing and supporting transphobic rhetoric to broad audiences results in loss of rights and life for trans people.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

you are simply wrong and it pretty clear that you want to paint the concerns of people that are hurt by those celebrity negatively, which honestly I'm not a fan off.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Your shallow takes are pretty meaningless in response to the reality of the situation. Which is that people espousing transphobia to broad audiences result in loss of rights and life for trans people.
My "shallow" take is that people talking about her views are, in a roundabout way, spreading transphobia indirectly and potentially making things harder for trans people. You clearly don't agree.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My "shallow" take is that people talking about her views are, in a roundabout way, spreading transphobia indirectly and potentially making things harder for trans people. You clearly don't agree.
Wait what?

So people should just ignore the dissemination of dangerous and bigoted misinformation by influential people rather than address and dismantle it?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't agree because it's a nonsensical take that's naive and has little actual thought behind it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Hollywood has an special brand of "smelling my own farts" stupidity.

Eh, I don't think this is an example of that.

She's doing the same shit that millions of uninformed/ignorant "regular" people do. Tweeting out baseless conspiracy bullshit that is harmful to spread. The difference is that she's a known celebrity so it gets news coverage.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That doesn't do shit and you know it, Twitter doesn't give a fuck 90% of the time (that's me being generous).
I'm aware it's unlikely to have an effect. I'm just wary of the potential negative effects from shining a bigger light on these people and their radical views.
It took how long into Donald Trumps administration until his tweets started getting censored? And you want people to put their heads in the sand after they hit a report button?

Stop trolling lol.
Oh fuck you. I'm not trolling here. I see what amounts to a rising tide of transphobia and anti-vax sentiment online, and am hoping to try to minimize the impact that we allow famous people to have. The poster who originally said we, as a society, give too much power to these people is right.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The people responsible for signal boosting bigoted and shitty views are the media and social media platforms.

That's why deplatforming actually works because you stop them being able to spread their rhetoric. If that isn't possible, the only course of action available to counter it is to call it out otherwise they are free to continue to spread it without any oversight.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The people responsible for signal boosting bigoted and shitty views are the media and social media platforms.

That's why deplatforming actually works because you stop them being able to spread their rhetoric. If that isn't possible, the only course of action available to counter it is to call it out otherwise they are free to continue to spread it without any oversight.
I've advocated in this thread for trying to get her off the platform for that very reason.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought most people wanted a multi-verse version of Killmonger back. Not the terrorist one who killed his GF.

I don't actually want them to bring back Erik as the new BP, but I would rather that than the mantle pass to Letitia as Shuri. I still think straight-up recasting another actor in the role and opening the film with a tribute to Boseman would be the best course of action. T'challa dying off-screen would be a really unsatisfying end to an excellent character who has already had a lot of growth and would likely be very important to the future of the MCU.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We should report the tweets, and try not to signal boost, in my opinion.
No. Please pay attention to the world around you and how things work, not some idealized version where nothing needs confronting, just politely ignored until magically vanishes in to thin air with no harm to anything or anyone.

Please take the L on this one and stop.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware it's unlikely to have an effect. I'm just wary of the potential negative effects from shining a bigger light on these people and their radical views.

Oh fuck you. I'm not trolling here. I see what amounts to a rising tide of transphobia and anti-vax sentiment online, and am hoping to try to minimize the impact that we allow famous people to have. The poster who originally said we, as a society, give too much power to these people is right.

You minimize the impact by educating people on why the things they are doing are wrong and fighting back. Not doing anything doesn't do a damn thing no matter how much you think it does. Even you are saying it's not going to have an effect. The fuck? What's your grand plan for how we should address toxicity when she isn't kicked off social media? Keep hitting the report button? Lol.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019

What you're leaving out in that context is that the trend acts as a countering megaphone. When she tweets thousands of people get the transphobe's side. When it trends everyone gets to see why what she's tweeting is bad.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No. Please pay attention to the world around you and how things work, not some idealized version where nothing needs confronting, just politely ignored until magically vanishes in to thin air with no harm to anything or any one.

Please take the L on this one and stop.
I mean, at this point, I'm just getting bombarded for disagreeing, so I'm just bowing out. I don't need this shit this early in the morning.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean, at this point, I'm just getting bombarded for disagreeing, so I'm just bowing out. I don't need this shit this early in the morning.
Perhaps reflect on how telling trans people to ignore famous people broadcasting transphobia to general audiences, isn't doing anything to minimize the impact they have. That asking people not to rebuke their actions does nothing to stem the influence they possess and abuse.

Oct 27, 2017
I meaaannn, here's her newest tweet

EDIT: I see it was already posted. I feel she's trying to walk back the transphobia, but not the rest

Gosh, if only there were, I don't know, thousands of science and health professionals around the world who closely scrutinise any such vaccines to make sure they are safe for widespread use. Implementing something like this would probably be a really good idea.

Oct 29, 2017
Gosh, if only there were, I don't know, thousands of science and health professionals around the world who closely scrutinise any such vaccines to make sure they are safe for widespread use. Implementing something like this would probably be a really good idea.

That's the implication that pisses me off. Putting random assholes on Youtube/Facebook on par with actual experts isn't just disingenuous, but incredibly dangerous.

Sadly, it's all the rage on social media.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think people need to realize now that the world is so on edge and just "asking questions" like that publically on topics that have been discussed non stop and there is none of legit research out there, is literally just asking for trouble.

Even if she is just legit asking (who knows anymore) it's still her mistake.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Celebrity publicly says: Stupid thing
People: That's dumb
Celebrity: I'M GETTING CANCELLED!

It hits different when you're getting 250,000 notifications overnight all with some variation of, "You're stupid," or "You hate trans people!", or "Do YOU WANT KIDS TO DIE!?!"

Randoms are including Marvel and her in their Twitter mentions and are asking Marvell to recast her.

(Ultimately, her best course of action is to delete the tweets, seek out trusted sources and advisors, and to delete the whole app for a couple weeks. Maybe even do a full purge.)

I do like discussing the topics celebrities bring up when they post crap, but some people are just legitimately misinformed and don't deserve all the energy the Internet collectively projects on to them.