• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Something tells me that has to do with their low latency in gaming with 13.7 ms.
I am very happy that I bought a C9 this year, the only thing which makes my head scratch is, if this works, if you use an AVR,
basically G-Sync plus AVR usage, or if you have to go the direct way, I know that my Marantz supports ALLM, but does not have HDMI 2.1.
With AVR, one solution is to output the audio via your motherboard HDMI/optical, then display only from your Nvidia directly to your TV.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
With AVR, one solution is to output the audio via your motherboard HDMI/optical, then display only from your Nvidia directly to your TV.
I thought about that idea as well.
I think it is better for lower latency as well, when you go directly from your graphics card to the HDMI port of the TV.
I only have a 2.1 setup. And Mainboard optical on board. I will consider this, when the update has been launched.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Same feel bro.

I've been waiting for this feature for so long. And despite the fact that 10 series cards are entirely capable hardware-wise, Nvidia is software-locking the feature to it's newest cards.

Incredibly scummy.
We don't know if Pascal cards are capable hardware wise. There is more in GPUs than just the core.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell. Gsync, not Freesync?
"G-Sync Compatible" not G-Sync.
The TVs already supported HDMI-VRR, all this means is that they have now been certified by NVIDIA.

The real news here is not anything on the TV side, but that NVIDIA are adding HDMI-VRR support to their Turing GPUs.
My understanding is that AMD currently supports FreeSync-over-HDMI, but not HDMI-VRR. So they work with Samsung TVs which support both, but not these OLEDs.

Will G-Sync have the same operating window of 48fps-120fps as VRR or will the range be greater?
If the display supports 48–120 Hz, that is a wide enough range for Low Frame-rate Compensation.
NVIDIA do not specify, but AMD require a maximum refresh rate ≥2.5x the minimum to support LFC.
LFC means that VRR will be active across the entire range in 120 Hz mode, as anything below 48 FPS can be multiplied and still supported by the display; e.g. 47 FPS at 94 Hz, 23 FPS at 92 Hz etc.
The issue will be 4K60 VRR. If the range is still 48–60 Hz, VRR will disengage below 48 FPS. I'm not sure how NVIDIA handles that - I would have thought it'd fail the "G-Sync compatible" certification if that were the case.
There are ways you could make it work though, since it's a 120Hz panel; e.g. have the TV report a 24–60 Hz range even if the panel can't refresh below 48Hz, and have the TV scaler handle the doubling.

We actually already have it on console right now, Xbox has it.
I could be wrong, but I thought it was limited to 60Hz and did not support LFC on Xbox? That would severely limit its effectiveness.

How good are these TVs for lag/input delay for fighting games, and how much do they cost? If the cost is reasonable and the price right, I could get this as a monitor.
Very low (~6ms at 120Hz, ~13ms at 60Hz) and total game latency is reduced further by using VRR in place of V-Sync.

Console is where a variable refresh rate could shine at best, so I really hope next gen will be fully compatible with it, we need this.
I see this a lot, and I don't really agree.
While VRR is unquestionably better for variable frame rates, it is far more noticeable above 60 FPS than below it, in my opinion.
VRR doesn't "fix" low frame rates, it just makes them… less bad. Even if 45 FPS no longer stutters on a VRR display compared to a 60Hz display, it's still only 45 FPS.

Without VRR, you would have to target 120 FPS on a 120Hz display, which is very difficult to achieve consistently in most games.
With VRR, you can target an average frame rate of say 90 FPS and fluctuations above or below that are rarely noticed.

VRR is best for pushing above 60 FPS, not making <60 FPS more acceptable.

Audio receivers really need to start supporting VRR passthrough!!!
eARC is the future. eARC is a full-bandwidth audio return channel, rather than being severely limited like ARC - which was effectively an S/PDIF connection.
You will connect source devices directly to the display, or via switchers, and the display will pass through the audio to your AVR.
Now you no longer have to worry about your AVR blocking or interfering with features like 3D, HDR, VRR etc. All it does is process audio - as it should.
I just hope that eARC adapters will be available inexpensively for older audio devices that do not support it natively. Requiring eARC on both ends of the connection is the one main flaw with the standard.

You should not be using S/PDIF for anything other than stereo audio now. It doesn't support any of the modern multichannel audio formats; only heavily compressed formats.

The limiting hardware factor would be if the 10 series cards didn't include HDMI 2.0b, but they do just like the 20 Series cards.
That's not necessarily true. VRR is an optional part of the HDMI (2.1) spec so there may be hardware changes beyond a standard "HDMI 2.0b" port which AMD have incorporated but NVIDIA have not.
I don't recall the specifics, but AMD have always built more "robust" video outputs into their GPU designs, which are more flexible; e.g. NVIDIA being limited to 3 displays per GPU.

NVIDIA have generally been good about supporting their older GPUs where possible, and not locking out features via software; e.g. DX12 support on Fermi, which was crazy.
It's just that their hardware implementations tend to be built for "now" rather than being more robust and future-thinking like AMD.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I could be wrong, but I thought it was limited to 60Hz and did not support LFC on Xbox? That would severely limit its effectiveness.

It's limited to 60hz at 4K due to the actual bandwidth, however, I think can work up to 120hz at 1440p.
The bigger issue here s that next to no games have both v-ysnc enabled (a prerequisite for VRR to function on Xbox) AND have no framerate cap, so you can rarely go above 60fps even in 120hz mode.

The Xbox does have an LFC like system, so you get a benefit even in 30fps capped titles.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's limited to 60hz at 4K due to the actual bandwidth, however, I think can work up to 120hz at 1440p.
The bigger issue here s that next to no games have both v-ysnc enabled (a prerequisite for VRR to function on Xbox) AND have no framerate cap, so you can rarely go above 60fps even in 120hz mode.

The Xbox does have an LFC like system, so you get a benefit even in 30fps capped titles.
Hopefully they will be able to improve that with a system update. The 1903 update to Windows 10 added an option to force VRR support in UWP games released prior to its inclusion (though I still don't see that option with an NVIDIA GPU).
It's good that there is LFC support if the display is capable of it; I didn't think that was supported at all.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Gears 5 on my X and C9 is and incredibly smooth experience eith VRR. I don't think I've played a game with a smoother frame rate. It almost feels like the soap opera effect. Oh the HDR is on another level. Highly, highly recommend the C9 for gaming.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't know if Pascal cards are capable hardware wise. There is more in GPUs than just the core.
99.9999% chance that Pascal is capable. This mostly comes down to HDMI spec and both 10 and 20 series have the same HDMI 2.0b. Nvidia can't hide behind their usual Tensor cores excuse for this one.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You should not be using S/PDIF for anything other than stereo audio now. It doesn't support any of the modern multichannel audio formats; only heavily compressed formats.
Of course, but that might not be an option for the person I quoted which is why I suggested either HDMI or optical, with the former obviously being the preferred option if available.

Nanika

Dec 4, 2017
As someone who just got a C9 and choose it over the C8 mostly because of high probability of 2.1 being used by new gen & PCs I'm quite happy about this.

Only downside about the C9 for now is I got unlucky and got a faulty TV but it should be replaced soon.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who just got a C9 and choose it over the C8 mostly because of high probability of 2.1 being used by new gen & PCs I'm quite happy about this.

Only downside about the C9 for now is I got unlucky and got a faulty TV but it should be replaced soon.
To be fair this news isn't related to HDMI 2.1 bur rather if TV has VRR support on HDMI 2.0b.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
99.9999% chance that Pascal is capable. This mostly comes down to HDMI spec and both 10 and 20 series have the same HDMI 2.0b. Nvidia can't hide behind their usual Tensor cores excuse for this one.
VRR isn't part of HDMi2.0b spec. Moreover, having support for the same version of HDMI doesn't mean that the display controller in both architectures is the same.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How close can I sit to a 55 inch lol

1CSQEPEm.png

I'm personally sitting at 6 feet from my 55 C8 and I'm ok, I wouldn't go any closer though.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
VRR isn't part of HDMi2.0b spec. Moreover, having support for the same version of HDMI doesn't mean that the display controller in both architectures is the same.

Neither is freesync..

There is plenty of space in the HDMI spec to allow for manufacturer specific data to be sent - this is part of the spec.
The standardisation of this data is what actually gets specced in with revisions alongside other hardware and signalling changes.

As has been mentioned before HDMI 2.1 does not guarantee any specific features or hardware, it just means that the devices can understand each other even if one of the devices doesn't have the capability, it can understand it doesn't have the capability as can the other device.

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
All of you c7 and c8 users should wait until the consoles release to support this and pick up a c9 that's two years old or a c10. That's what I'm doing.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Only on OLEDs, only with RTX cards... guess I'm still looking at their 120hz Nanocell (non-OLED) sets for now. But it's nice to see this tech coming to the TV space.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you all crying? The 2017 models are still insanely good. I love my B7.
I'm just glad to know that when I buy a new model a few years in, this shit will be standard.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
So do I try to scope out a good holiday deal on a 2019 model or wait until 2020?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Meh, as a recent (as in, one week lol) owner of a C8 because the C9 was just too expensive for me, I'm not too bothered. I don't game on PC and I doubt the landscape of console gaming is gonna change with this.

Of course if you're buying a new TV next year the C9 will be a no brainer because it will be more affordable like the C8 is now.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nVidia released a new Game Ready Driver, 436.30:

Seems they already added support, only LG has to roll out the update for the E9 and C9.
Interesting. If true, people with Samsung VRR capable TVs and RTX 20 / GTX 16 series GPUs should try it out because Nvidia said you'll be able to force Gsync on any HDMI VRR TV. I have Samsung TV but not RTX 20 :(

Although I suppose Samsung TVs, just like LG TVs, might need firmware update as well to support Nvidia's implementation.

Last edited:

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. If true, people with Samsung VRR capable TVs and RTX 20 / GTX 16 series GPUs should try it out because Nvidia said you'll be able to force Gsync on any HDMI VRR TV. I have Samsung TV but not RTX 20 :(

Although I suppose Samsung TVs, just like LG TVs, might need firmware update as well to support Nvidia's implementation.
I can give it a try after work!

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
*looks at his 2016 LG OLED* I still love you.. you can do... 3D still!

But that's a really cool announcement. The RTX 20-series requirement makes this a pretty expensive upgrade though. Maybe in a few years for me.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin

Unfortunately I do not have an QLED, if I had I would try it. I hope there will be more reports though.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Finally! A proper upgrade to my Sony x900e... assuming they have worked out the burn-in issue.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
There are FOUR h/w options for adaptive sync support currently:

1. VESA Adaptive Sync (DisplayPort 1.4a+)
2. HDMI VRR (allowed to be implemented on HDMI 2.0+ ports currently I believe)
3. AMD's Freesync-over-HDMI (which is most likely AMD's own implementation of VESA Adaptive Sync on HDMI connections)
4. Gsync h/w obviously which works with DisplayPort only right now

There are TWO s/w stacks for handling such support over these FOUR available h/w options (maybe three - I'm not really up to date on Intel's shenanigans here):

1. AMD's FreeSync - currently works with any DisplayPort connection supporting VESA Adaptive Sync and with HDMI connections which have AMD's Freesync-over-HDMI implemented in them.
2. NV's Gsync - currently works with Gsync h/w over DisplayPort, with any DisplayPort with VESA Adaptive Sync support and now, starting with this driver - with HDMI VRR via HDMI 2.0+ connections.

That last option of HDMI VRR is open for AMD to implement into their Freesync s/w stack too and I'm sure that they will - question is if they'll be able to do it on their current HDMI 2.0 GPUs like NV did on Turing or they'll have to add HDMI 2.1 ports first.

I guess I will wait for the driver to clarify this. Is it bringing generic VRR (like generic VRR over Displayport) to HDMI? Or is it literally just for LG T.V.s?

I would obviously prefer the former as it allows you to "try" and get your VRR display to work with the NV driver, which generally does.
They are allowing HDMI 2.1 VRR to work on Turing HDMI outputs - presumably with any display which has support for HDMI 2.1 VRR - and are certifying LG's 9 series TVs as "Gsync Compatible".

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
When they announced this in January, HDR was exclusive to GSYNC ultimate (I.e with GSYNC chip only) so people might want to wait and see with this.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

I hope to get time to test with this driver tonight as I have a 2018 Samsung with VRR.

When they announced this in January, HDR was exclusive to GSYNC ultimate (I.e with GSYNC chip only) so people might want to wait and see with this.
Based on the current compatibility list, there are some monitors that show as 'Gsync compatible' that still show HDR support.

NVIDIA GeForce G-SYNC Gaming Monitors

Search for GeForce G-SYNC gaming monitors.

Last edited:

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
thats crazy awesome, I love my 2017 B7 LG OLED but would definitely see next year as a great time to upgrade. Playing Cyberpunk 2077 off a PC with RTX on a 65" OLED screen with VRR or gSync... omg

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I agree about waiting for more info, but this list at least seems to indicate that it should work.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

But I won't believe it has simultaneous HDR and VRR until someone explicitly says so, or I see it for myself.

EDIT: Oh, it looks like I unintentionally plagiarized plagiarize

Last edited: