• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Liam Neeson has described the wave of sexual misconduct allegations that have swept the entertainment industry as "a bit of a witch-hunt" and appeared to dismiss breast groping as "childhood stuff" in an interview on Irish television.

Speaking on The Late Late Show on RTE, the Hollywood A-lister said "there's some people, famous people, being suddenly accused of touching some girl's knee, or something, and suddenly they're being dropped from their program, or something".
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...rassment-allegations-have-become-a-witch-hunt

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
A Hollywood actor not taking sexual misconduct seriously? I for one am shocked.

It's sad that these abusive and exploitative behaviours are so embedded in the entertainment world that this is the default response.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Like, you're a bad person to think it.
But how dumb can you be to say it on national tv?

His publicist on the side of the stage like

maEdA_s-200x150.gif

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
the irony of calling harassment accusations "witch hunts" (i.e. the mass persecution and murder of women for being women) makes me want to fling myself into the sun

anyway fuck off liam neeson

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It kind of has BUT BUT BUT he should be pointing his ire towards Weinstien and his ilk
In some cases a minor allegation can blow up BUT again most of it is pretty bad

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Yo, there are no witches. People need to stop using that phrase. Dirt bag.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a scumbag. Only a supreme sense of blindness to what women face and blithe entitlement could lead someone to this view. Oh, and a total lack of empathy.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I admire the cognitive dissonance it takes to look at the allegations and say that it's just part of film/theater when it's this exact thinking that led to those transgressive actions in the first place. It's not just "silly" or "childhood stuff".

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The witch hunt quote isn't the worst part.
What the heck is this
Asked how he felt about Kevin Spacey and Dustin Hoffman, actors who have been accused of multiple counts of sexual misconduct, Neeson said he was "on the fence" about allegations against Hoffman, saying that what he had been accused of was "childhood stuff".

Discussing the allegations against Hoffman, Neeson said, "when you're doing a play and you're with your family – other actors, technicians – you do silly things ... and it becomes kind of superstitious, if you don't do it every night you think it's going to jinx the show".

Dustin Hoffman has been accused of sexual assault by multiple women, of exposing himself to a minor and of sexual harassment.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard this kind of thing from older, embarrassed people. I say it's not hugging, more like it's people at work tossing off in front of an actress.

Oct 25, 2017
Yo guys Liam Neeson isn't secretly a sexual predator or an awful person because he gives an anecdote of someone he feels lost their job for nothing and following that up by saying Dustin Hoffman acts like a child. Watch the video before just reacting to and making sweeping assumptions.

Edit:
Didn't know the Hoffman stuff was that bad.

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Witch Hunt is an exaggeration...but new McCarthism?

Nobody is denying that Hollywood is a bad place full of bad people.

The problem is that accusations alone are enough to destroy innocent lives and careers.

Look, he's a commie! Let's ruin his career and life! But we have no proof! Who fucking cares, this will scare the real commies too.

Look, he's a rapist! Let's ruin his career and life! But we have no proof! But this will scare the real rapists too...

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Having watched the video. His position is quite valid.

I'm not sure on his opinion about Hoffman. But the fact his, the anecdote about his friend losing his job for absolutely nothing is something that was bound to happen with all that is happening.

So yeah. He can share his opinion. It's not really a bad one.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think there is a "witch hunt". I do think we've seen an inability by some to distinguish between levels of inappropriate behavior. And there are a small handful of folks who seem eager to label some as sexual predators without there being a sexual assault allegation (see: David Letterman and Joe Biden).

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Witch Hunt is an exaggeration...but new McCarthism?

Nobody is denying that Hollywood is a bad place full of bad people.

The problem is that accusations alone are enough to destroy innocent lives and careers.

Look, he's a commie! Let's ruin his career and life! But we have no proof! Who fucking cares, this will scare the real commies too.

Look, he's a rapist! Let's ruin his career and life! But we have no proof! But this will scare the real rapists too...

Except there is proof - these women's stories. When multiple women come out against someone, that's proof.

This isn't just limited to Hollywood either. This is an issue everywhere.

You're part of the problem

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having watched the video. His position is quite valid.

I'm not sure on his opinion about Hoffman. But the fact his, the anecdote about his friend losing his job for absolutely nothing is something that was bound to happen with all that is happening.

So yeah. He can share his opinion. It's not really a bad one.
How is this not a bad opinion?

"Discussing the allegations against Hoffman, Neeson said, "when you're doing a play and you're with your family – other actors, technicians – you do silly things ... and it becomes kind of superstitious, if you don't do it every night you think it's going to jinx the show".

Shit like this makes it a very bad opinion

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with him on some of the lower end ones. Mark Halprin and Al Franken's punishments we're definitely not warranted in my opinion.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there is a "witch hunt". I do think we've seen an inability by some to distinguish between levels of inappropriate behavior. And there are a small handful of folks who seem eager to label some as sexual predators without there being a sexual assault allegation (see: David Letterman and Joe Biden).
Totally agree. I like Liam still. The statement was clumsy.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, sure, I guess I might be able to understand his experiences.

However, what a dumbass fucking thing to say Liam, god damn, you are famous, learn how to represent yourself. Blanketing this "trend" in Hollywood as a witch hunt is pretty ignorant.

I don't think he's preemptively getting out at something, but for sure this will draw attention to him.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, agreed. Neeson's wording here is off (and the Dustin Hoffman bit is, whew, I hope he just doesn't fully know what Hoffman has been accused of), but I do see where he's coming from. Stuff like the thing in his anecdote and when people on Twitter a while ago were trying to brew up a storm because Adam Sandler has a weird quirk where he constantly has to touch people's knees in interviews are severe overreactions that are actually hurtful for the entire movement.

Eh... witch hunt has been a blanket term for any unsubstantiated attack on (a group of) individuals for a long time. It has very little to do with gender.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the Dustin Hoffman thing I think he's referring to one specific allegation, and doesn't know about the all the more serious ones. Or we can all just jump to the worst case scenario and say that Liam Neeson thinks exposing yourself to minors is childhood stuff.

Except there is proof - these women's stories. When multiple women come out against someone, that's proof.

Since when did we change the definition of proof?

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...orton-touch-knee-bbc-no-offence-a8026731.html

I believe the knee touching / witch hunt thing is a reference to the people that tried to string up Adam Sandler. Once that happened, sounds like he stopped taking it seriously.

Also the quote is "a bit of a with hunt", readily implying that he's not referring to cases like Weinstein, but let's just turn that into full-blown clickbait headline because who cares what is true anyway.

It's really not a unreasonable comment at all, nor does it degrade the cases of real offenders in any way.