• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Walras

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
How is this not a bad opinion?

"Discussing the allegations against Hoffman, Neeson said, "when you're doing a play and you're with your family – other actors, technicians – you do silly things ... and it becomes kind of superstitious, if you don't do it every night you think it's going to jinx the show".

Shit like this makes it a very bad opinion

I don't know the allegations against Hoffman, but I think everybody who has done a little acting/theater knows it's not a normal working environment.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are assuming that what Neeson describes happening to Garrison Keillor is in any way an accurate portrayal of events. He's simply reitertaing the official denial that Keillor released following his dismissal. That doesn't make it true and as a narrative it feels like there are a lot of details missing.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Except there is proof - these women's stories. When multiple women come out against someone, that's proof.

This isn't just limited to Hollywood either. This is an issue everywhere.

You're part of the problem

Stories can't be proof when each one is highly publicized and shared. Maybe if multiple women came forward individually with no knowledge of other accusations.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn it. I thought you were supposed to be a good one. Since your wife died I know things are still stuff but what the fuck is this "Witch pursuit"?

Fuck off, Liam.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people are assuming that what Neeson describes happening to Garrison Keillor is in any way an accurate portrayal of events. He's simply reitertaing the official denial that Keillor released following his dismissal. That doesn't make it true and as a narrative it feels like there are a lot of details missing.
Especially considering he doesn't seem to know or care what Hoffman was accused of.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fHimgl8.gif

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stories can't be proof when each one is highly publicized and shared. Maybe if multiple women came forward individually with no knowledge of other accusations.
When more then one woman come forward with a allegation the chances they are lying decreases. Like the 5 women coming forward about Franco the changes they are lying is basically 0%

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not the first person to say something like this though. I worry the extreme binary reaction to every allegation will eventually turn people off.

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
User banned for 7 days: For ignoring a warning in the thread and doubling down on painting women as liars as well as suggesting that it is wrong for victims to come forward.
Except there is proof - these women's stories. When multiple women come out against someone, that's proof.

This isn't just limited to Hollywood either. This is an issue everywhere.

You're part of the problem

If you had at least a minimum knowledge of crimonology you would know that when too many people tell the same thing with every tiny details matching, that story is made up. It's hoax.

Ignorance is the problem. Hypocrisy too.

Accusing and condemning people without real proof is wrong, always, no exceptions.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know the allegations against Hoffman, but I think everybody who has done a little acting/theater knows it's not a normal working environment.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but inappropriate sexual conduct is fairly standard in the professional theatrical world. There are so many desparate young people and just as many exploitative actors, directors, producers, agents, casting directors etc.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

Exposing himself to a minor and assaulting a couple of women. Bizzarre that he would frame it that way, talking about superstition. I don't even know how his mind connects the two ideas, and thinks that's the excuse to go with. It's the sort of out of left field comment that makes me question someone's sanoty.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Neesons always been weird, especially since his wife passed.
I remember him on the daily show trying to convince Jon Stewart that the horses in central park love being treated cruelly and it's actually worse to ban them and deny the animals such pleasure. Just total shite, but he seemed pretty convinced.

But Witches being female is a very modern thing, I mean someone already linked to The Crucible in this thread. John Proctor was a man accused of being a witch and practicing Witchcraft.

Oct 27, 2017
1 week ban: history of sexism, downplaying sexual assault and disingenuous arguments. You were active in the Franco thread and you know there was more to it than that.
When more then one woman come forward with a allegation the chances they are lying decreases. Like the 5 women coming forward about Franco the changes they are lying is basically 0%

James Franco paying low rates for nudity as some kind of career ending thing is the definition of a witch hunt.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

That's not how this works. These women aren't even corroborating the same story. At best it's character evidence, which is usually not grounds for anything for good reason.

If a number of sources came forward saying the Clintons were conspiring with Russians it would certainly warrant investigation but it wouldn't provide proof that such activity happened. If multiple came forward to an independent authority with details about the same exact incident that had not been published, we'd be talking.

Oct 27, 2017

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
That's not how this works. These women aren't even corroborating the same story. At best it's character evidence, which is usually not grounds for anything for good reason.

If a number of sources came forward saying the Clintons were conspiring with Russians it would certainly warrant investigation but it wouldn't provide proof that such activity happened. If multiple came forward to an independent authority with details about the same exact incident that had not been published, we'd be talking.
But so far, there's no legal stuff happening, right? Not even to Weinstein, let alone all these 'lesser' instances.

It seems very unlikely that Franco will face any sort of legal action. It'll hurt his career, which obviously if the claims are untrue is very unfortunate, but it's not 'innocent until proven guilt' within the court of popular opinion. For better or worse.

That's not what a witch hunt is
So what is it?

Collins states "A witch-hunt is an attempt to find and punish a particular group of people who are being blamed for something, often simply because of their opinions and not because they have actually done anything wrong."

Cambridge "an attempt to find and punish people whose opinions are unpopular and who are said to be a danger to society".

I.E. the person or group is not objectively wrong, hence the use of the term 'witch'.

Last edited:

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There is often no proof due to how long ago allegations happen. Due to how women are treated when they do come forward. When women come forward they are often doubted and shouted down by mostly men. Why so many victims do not come forward. As soon as there are more then one woman coming forward about being abused etc about a individual the chances they are lying goes down

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I watched the interview, and I wasn't aware of the example he gave, but that sounds like a miscarriage of justice if it happened as he described. Now, he seemed rather uncomfortable answering to the other charges, like he had walked into an argument he couldn't win. Bringing up the farm workers at the end was very indicative to me that he just wanted to talk about something else.

If you ask me, if there is a person being falsely accused of sexual harassment, they should be defended. However, a celebrity shouldn't use their false accusation to disparage the movement of women coming forward.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It kind of has BUT BUT BUT he should be pointing his ire towards Weinstien and his ilk
In some cases a minor allegation can blow up BUT again most of it is pretty bad

Why should he? He can feel both things. Just because he thinks it's a 'witch hunt doesn't mean he doesn't feel ire towards Weinstein et al. Life isn't black and white and neither are people's views.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now educate me on this, Did he personally remove them? Did he call for them to be removed? The article I read gave no indication one way or the other.

Also Ashley Judd has praised Franco's "I am happy to be made an example of" response to the allegations.

http://people.com/movies/ashley-judd-james-franco-praises-response-to-sexual-misconduct-allegations/
Just because he gets support from a actor like Judd doesn't mean he didn't harass or abuse women.

And here:

On Thursday, Tither-Kaplan told the LA Times that Franco participated in an "abuse of power" on film sets designed to create a "culture of exploiting non-celebrity women".

She added that during a sex scene filmed three years ago with Franco and several women, the actor had removed plastic guards covering the actresses' genitalia while simulating oral sex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42653242

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

to say "there are no witches" is misunderstanding his (very stupid) point. he's implying that people are looking for villains (witches) who don't exist. this is wrong because the "witches" (sex abusers) very much do exist. a witch hunt is a hysterical search for an evil that isn't there, not a hunt carried out by witches.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
to say "there are no witches" is misunderstanding his (very stupid) point. he's implying that people are looking for villains (witches) who don't exist. this is wrong because the "witches" (sex abusers) very much do exist. a witch hunt is a hysterical search for an evil that isn't there, not a hunt carried out by witches.
Okay, well, Collins, Cambridge, and I disagree with you.

Oct 27, 2017
Just because he gets support from a actor like Judd doesn't mean he didn't harass or abuse women.

And here:

On Thursday, Tither-Kaplan told the LA Times that Franco participated in an "abuse of power" on film sets designed to create a "culture of exploiting non-celebrity women".

She added that during a sex scene filmed three years ago with Franco and several women, the actor had removed plastic guards covering the actresses' genitalia while simulating oral sex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42653242

Was the nudity agreed to between both parties in their contract? If not, it's pretty bad. If it was, the only thing we have is the abuse of power culture argument. Franco's argument seemed to be that Tither-Kaplan had agreed via contract and had taken the money to do the nude scenes.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
What's there even to gain from saying this? Now people are upset with his remarks and I'm half expecting something to come out about him soon. Why do this?

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
How is this not a bad opinion?

"Discussing the allegations against Hoffman, Neeson said, "when you're doing a play and you're with your family – other actors, technicians – you do silly things ... and it becomes kind of superstitious, if you don't do it every night you think it's going to jinx the show".

Shit like this makes it a very bad opinion

I was NOT talking about his opinion about Hoffman.

I was talking about the rest.

One can be wrong about something while being right about something else.

Don't dismiss an entire argumentation because of a bad point in it.

Thank you.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was the nudity agreed to between both parties in their contract? If not, it's pretty bad. If it was, the only thing we have is the abuse of power culture argument. Franco's argument seemed to be that Tither-Kaplan had agreed via contract and had taken the money to do the nude scenes.
Well Sarah obvious thinks otherwise. When you add that to the other women coming forward a pattern starts to emerge. It's why when there are multiple women coming forward the percentage of the guy being innocent goes down

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was NOT talking about his opinion about Hoffman.

I was talking about the rest.

One can be wrong about something while being right about something else.

Don't dismiss an entire argumentation because of a bad point in it.

Thank you.
I can very much dismiss his argument due to how bad the shit he said is

Thank you

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's there even to gain from saying this? Now people are upset with his remarks and I'm half expecting something to come out about him soon. Why do this?
because someone asked in an interview, it's just an off the cuff remark. Also you're kinda proving his point with your other comment. That sort of thinking doesn't help anyone.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Honestly, even if there was an aspect of 'witch hunt' to some of this on the public's side of things, it's still worth outing people who deserve to be outed.

A few people being vilified for lesser sins like innaproppriate touching (which is still gross) is nothing compared to the misery women have suffered in silence at the hands of powerful men in the film industry. If people hadn't worked so hard to cover it up for so many years we wouldn't be in this situation. Everybody is complicit.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
There is often no proof due to how long ago allegations happen. Due to how women are treated when they do come forward. When women come forward they are often doubted and shouted down by mostly men. Why so many victims do not come forward. As soon as there are more then one woman coming forward about being abused etc about a individual the chances they are lying goes down

No doubt there are problems with how individual women are treated when they come forward. Multiple women coming forward does make things start to smell. It does not, as you originally stated, mean that allegations are 100% true.

But so far, there's no legal stuff happening, right? Not even to Weinstein, let alone all these 'lesser' instances.

It seems very unlikely that Franco will face any sort of legal action. It'll hurt his career, which obviously if the claims are untrue is very unfortunate, but it's not 'innocent until proven guilt' within the court of popular opinion. For better or worse.

For better or worse is kind of the point here and why I think Liam would make a statement like this. You see the posters I've been quoting and numerous others instantly taking allegations as truthful or proven once they've spread, much like would happen in a witch hunt. Whether the person is actually a witch or not is irrelevant.

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
That's pretty damn good.

I'd say it's a witch hunt when innocent men start getting named, has there been any inkling of that happpening yet?
That's the problem with lack of evidence, we don't know who's innocent and who's not.

We can make an educated guess based on the number of accusations against a person, but it's still just a guess.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Witch Hunt is an exaggeration...but new McCarthism?

Nobody is denying that Hollywood is a bad place full of bad people.

The problem is that accusations alone are enough to destroy innocent lives and careers.

Look, he's a commie! Let's ruin his career and life! But we have no proof! Who fucking cares, this will scare the real commies too.

Look, he's a rapist! Let's ruin his career and life! But we have no proof! But this will scare the real rapists too...
Yeah....no. There isn't some secret cabal of women that plan attacks on men. Also like people say "Well why didn't all these women come out and speak up years ago?!" and the answer to that is right in your own post people hand wring about "proof" so much that nobody bothers to believe women when they do speak up. So why would they especially since the women who have spoken out against their attackers will continue to be victims of harassment for having the "audacity" to speak out. Fuck that shit. I'd rather believe the women every time.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
My most generous take is that he has a poorly formed perspective and hasn't fully followed the allegations against Hoffman (i say this because of how he described what Hoffman did — I also didn't follow the latest about Hoffman beyond the initial video encounter between him and John Oliver).

So in my mind i categorize him as ignorant and protective of his in-group. It tarnishes his luster with me, though I won't be actively avoiding his work.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
User warned: dismissing sexual assault accusations; plenty of them have had evidence.
That's pretty damn good.

I'd say it's a witch hunt when innocent men start getting named, has there been any inkling of that happpening yet?

Kind of hard to say isn't it? Every one of these allegations are he said she said without a shred of proof. For all we truly honestly without a doubt know every allegation could be true or every allegation could be false. Now common sense should tell you that most are probably true but that doesn't mean that there isn't some bullshit in there.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this comment on reddit summed it up:

"Yeah, but it's a witch hunt at fucking Hogwarts."

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Witch Hunt is an exaggeration...but new McCarthism?

Nobody is denying that Hollywood is a bad place full of bad people.

The problem is that accusations alone are enough to destroy innocent lives and careers.

Look, he's a commie! Let's ruin his career and life! But we have no proof! Who fucking cares, this will scare the real commies too.

Look, he's a rapist! Let's ruin his career and life! But we have no proof! But this will scare the real rapists too...

McCarthyism was done by the government and involved actual black lists and people being put in prison. It's not as *much* of an exaggeration to call this McCarthyism, but it's still a clear exaggeration. The people who have questionable accusations against them haven't suffered much at all. The people who have suffered are the people who have either got piles of evidence against them, or who have admitted to some or all of the allegations against them. How many former convicts continue to work in Hollywood? I'd say odds are pretty good that, for example, that Jeremy Piven's life and career isn't destroyed.