• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
He sounds incredibly ashamed for those thoughts and actions. Like a stain on his past that he can never get rid of.

Revenge can change someone in so many ways. From changing their thoughts to completely warping who they once were.

This...this is definitely not something that should be said in an interview if he hasn't ever talked to a therapist about it.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Pretty stunning thing to admit. Probably a lot of people carry this hatred around, atleast he has the balls to admit it and reflect on it.

Fair enough if you hate him forever for this too, hard to expect anything different

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
"It's awful," Neeson continues, a tremble in his breath. "But I did learn a lesson from it, when I eventually thought, 'What the fuck are you doing,' you know?"
I can't say anything like "fuck that guy!", seriously. Weird that such story came up, but he's definitely ashamed.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Yeah that is some heavy stuff. I've been in that situation before so I can understand the feeling of helplessness and anger. Doesn't make his decisions afterwards right, but I'm glad he snapped out of that shit before something irreversible happened.

Oct 25, 2017
Now I get to look like an even bigger idiot being the only black person in the theater seeing Cold Pursuit Thursday night.

Guess it was something he wanted to get off his chest, but shouldve maybe ran it by someone first.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I guess there is only so much time you can set aside before the guilt (if you are not a socio or psychopath) will eat at you to the point where disclosing it and wishing to be publicly admonished, humiliated and perhaps even be ruined feels like a commensurate penance for the earlier transgressions.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I get that it's gross, and people are allowed to hate him for it, it just sounds like he hates himself for acting like that too. This is going to be a tough topic, I just hope that the conversation can be nuanced.

I felt the same reading this. He seems really regretful of how he acted when he was younger and learned it was awful and wrong.

Edit:
I skimmed over this article earlier. I was under the impression he was out looking for the exact same person. When I read this:

"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody – I'm ashamed to say that – and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [Neeson gestures air quotes with his fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could," another pause, "kill him."

Yeah-that's another thing entirely... Crazy thing to admit in a press junket.

Last edited:

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see the issue here. He admited that even he used to have racist piece of shit side of him, at one point in his life. Luckily he didn't murder anyone and he got better himself.

Oct 27, 2017
Admirable to admit your own failings. I feel like this won't go well for him, though. As long as he grew from the experience and became a better person, then ultimately it's a plus for him. Hopefully the actual victim of rape recovered well.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude was going to kill a random black person for no reason

I know it's easy for y'all to just say forgive and forget because y'all don't really care. But nah that's too fucked up. Fuck Liam Neeson

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
All the people excusing this are talking like he's some character from naruto or some other kids show. "He has a dark past, He's learned, he's filled with regret" etc...this is a real life person who wandered the streets waiting for a black person to attack him so he could kill them, and he's trying to tell the story to promote his characters in movies.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
All the people excusing this are talking like he's some character from naruto or some other kids show. "He has a dark past, He's learned, he's filled with regret" etc...this is a real life person who wandered the streets waiting for a black person to attack him so he could kill them, and he's trying to tell the story to promote his characters in movies.
No one is excusing him.

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't really seem all that horrifying. Seems like a person who was hurt and wanted revenge and didn't know how to deal with emotions but eventually did without causing harm to someone.
This.

If anything the desire to hurt a person in the way he held onto shows how irrational that kind of burning hatred can be. He realised that and worked through it without hurting anyone.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Admitting to past bias and reflecting on how misguided, ignorant and dangerous it was shouldn't be frowned on, imo.
True. I mean, why are people getting outraged over someone admitting he did that for a week? It wasn't a long-standing belief and it was borne out of pain and hurt for a loved one.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Sounds like he wants us all to reflect on things in life and become better people, especially on how polerized the global environment has become, with racism and hate.

Or you can throw him under the bus and learn nothing. Either or.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liam: "I really wanted to go around and just hoping a nigger would try something so I could shank him. But that was in the past, I'm better now"

ResetEra: "Such growth, so admirable. Good for him for not wanting to kill niggers anymore"

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

Reflecting on and overcoming ones troubled past is something real people can do to. Again, there's no reason you have to accept it but he volunaritly brought it up in a self reflective manner, he wasn't exposed or anything.

But I also totally understand this making him unforgivable in peoples eyes. I think there's a lot of people who probably think like he did, especially when emotional.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
It sounds like he knows he fucked up and moved past it.

I dont see why everyone here is saying fuck Neeson. Are people not allowed to change?
LOOOL of course not here dude.
People can't change or be filled with shame and regret for their past actions.
That's why everyone here should be against prison reform, to make sure that all those people locked up stay in jail forever, because they'll never change and we don't give second chances.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Can't imagine him ever getting work again now that he's outed himself as a psychotic virulent racist piece of shit.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like he wants us all to reflect on things in life and become better people, especially on how polerized the global environment has become, with racism and hate.

I'd like to think that not murdering people for being black isn't a lesson most people need to learn.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Liam: "I really wanted to go around and just hoping a nigger would try something so I could shank him. But that was in the past, I'm better now"
ResetEra: "Such growth, so admirable. Good for him for not wanting to kill niggers anymore"
I guess you don't actually know how quotation marks work, and want to just put words in people's mouths to make them look bad. Cool.

Oct 27, 2017

Do you actually believe that no one who has done fucked up shit or been terrible in the past can change?

I'm sorry for you if that's the case.

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Nah, lets just trow him under the buss and call anyone trying to make sense of the situation a racist.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Um....that's something all right. It seems like he is deeply ashamed of it. I think?
Bingo!!!

He say clearly that his "primal insticts" take over on him because he wanted revenge and when his mind cleared was ashemad for himself, for his weaknes. And because of this he can understand that form of impulse for violence.
I imagine that we all can learn something for this story.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really seem all that horrifying. Seems like a person who was hurt and wanted revenge and didn't know how to deal with emotions but eventually did without causing harm to someone.

The offputting part is how his racist impulse to just murder any black person is not really addressed. It's just kinda lumped in with the general hot blooded anger, as if it were reasonable part of the desire for revenge at the time.

I'm not saying he still feels this way and this is tough because this confesssion clearly came out of a long press junket induced haze than some considered reflection but there is more to this than a guy regretting the time he got angry.

Last edited:

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Daily reminder that no matter how liberal people are they don't give a fuck about black lives

Status
Not open for further replies.