• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Been trying some more build options lately, got a couple spicy brews that I think are being slept on:

1: Puppet Saber Blade + Booster Glaive Handle
Booster Glaive Handle is pretty well-known to be really damn good, but the Puppet Saber Blade is a bit slept on post-patch. The blade has very good range for its speed, and thanks to the damage boost it got it is essentially a longer range but slightly lower damage version of the Bramble Curved Sword Blade. This combines very well with the Booster Glaive Handle which already has a super strong moveset, giving it very good dps and range while being very fast and easy to control.

2: Black Steel Cutter Blade + Salamander Dagger Handle: Definitely a weird one that is very easy to use improperly, but it's IMO the best setup for using the Black Steel Cutter Blade, which is an otherwise fantastic blade that's harmed by lack of strong Advance handle options to pair it with. The key here is that all of the Salamander Dagger Handle's heavy and charged heavy attacks count as slashing attacks, meaning that the Black Steel Cutter doesn't get a penalty for it. (The running heavy does count as stab though so probably should stop and do a regular attack instead if possible) What you end up with is a curved sword-style moveset reminiscent of the Puppet Saber, Bramble Curved Sword, or the Dancer's Curved Sword with great range, speed, damage, and of course fire buildup. I think it might be the best Fire setup in the game, even over Salamander Dagger Blade + Acidic Crystal Spear Handle.

3: Live Puppet Axe Handle in general: The moveset is for the most part unremarkable, but its charged heavy is goated. It has fantastic reach, great damage and stagger, and comes out surprisingly fast if you pair it with a faster blade. Master Chef Knife are probably the two blades I'd look at to pair with it, but the Bramble Curved Sword Blade is a solid option too if you want more damage than range. If you want to use one of the slower handles I think this is a solid option over the Pipe Wrench or Coil Mjolnir.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Beat Nameless Puppet on NG+ (after getting the bad ending on my very first playthrough, oops). Great boss, satisfying win with the Two Dragons sword, and a very good true ending. Worth maxing out humanity.

Going to put the game down 'til DLC but wow. Second souls type game I've ever beat, and a very nice surprise. Extremely engrossing.

Feeling kinda empty now :(

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Beat Nameless Puppet on NG+ (after getting the bad ending on my very first playthrough, oops). Great boss, satisfying win with the Two Dragons sword, and a very good true ending. Worth maxing out humanity.

Going to put the game down 'til DLC but wow. Second souls type game I've ever beat, and a very nice surprise. Extremely engrossing.

Feeling kinda empty now :(
I feel you. It's been a while since a Souls game grabbed me this hard.

ShinyCoin

Oct 15, 2020
So...Been playing this game this past week and just defeated the King of the Puppets. Even though I'm liking it, I wish the parry timing was a bit more lenient and dodging had a range similar to Bloodborne. Sometimes, I feel like the combat is a bit rigid.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
So...Been playing this game this past week and just defeated the King of the Puppets. Even though I'm liking it, I wish the parry timing was a bit more lenient and dodging had a range similar to Bloodborne. Sometimes, I feel like the combat is a bit rigid.
The second phase is my first road block in this game. I got it down to 20% health on my first attempt somehow, but have been stuck on it for a while now.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks to the latest GDQ, I got back to Lies of P and I'm having a blast.

It's also pretty surprising how technically competent the game is. It's certainly better than any Tecmo's games from a technical perspective.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
This warrants another play through
whoo.png

Lies of P x Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Collaboration Trailer | PS5 & PS4 Games

teed

Banned
Aug 25, 2023
I really need to play Wo Long before using these items so I can just pretend that I'm the guy from Wo Long lol. I was going to wait for the next discount but considering that the complete edition has just come out that might be a while, so I might just buy it.

My current Lies of P thing is trying to do a no leveling/upgrading/P-organ run. I'm running out of steam a bit though because Archbishop took 4 hours, Victor 8 hours, and Swamp Monster around 15-18 hours. Not sustainable if that trend continues but I think I'm having fun lol

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I really need to play Wo Long before using these items so I can just pretend that I'm the guy from Wo Long lol.

Funny story: I wasn't sold on the Pinocchio thing and though it looked kind of silly, to the point where I quit after an hour or two. Then I decided to try again and realized there was a dog mask in my inventory. I equipped it and immediately loved the game playing as a dog.

After beating the game, I changed my mind and realised the Pinocchio thing was super cool and I was just being a sad, old man, so I played it again as P and had no issues at all ^_^

Eye Konik

Nov 17, 2023
Beat it last night. Nameless Puppet gave me a lot of trouble. So happy when I finally beat him.

Will be some time if/when I do a NG+ play through.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Finally beat the game, I got the Rise of P ending. Honestly, the game surprised me. It is a little rough around the edges, but it's so good it might just be the best derivative Souls like game.

Nameless puppet was the only boss I spend hours trying to beat, but it was worth it.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
it seems the dev accidentally released a Denuvoless version of the game, and then released a Denuvo version after that.
of course this means the Denuvoless version is now on the seven seas.

the game running perfectly with Denuvo, but i wonder if there is a difference between the 2 versions.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm definitely doing a NG+ run with that Wo Long weapon and attire. Is it out already?

teed

Banned
Aug 25, 2023

Yeah it's actually really good. I had a save just at the swamp monster so tested it out on that. It's got a really long reach and the charged attack is a big vertical sweep that was able to hit the swamp monster even when it stood up straight to slam down on me (sometimes anyway). One of the fable arts is a 3-bar multi attack that closes a huge amount of distance. The other I haven't quite figured out but I think its a dodge (with the same timing as a parry and able to dodge red attacks) that increases the power of the attack you can do coming out of the dodge.

I'm definitely doing a NG+ run with that Wo Long weapon and attire. Is it out already?

Yes. For me in the UK on PS5 anyway.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

Yup, and the weapon is amazing! The move set is so good. The weapon is almost broken with how good it is.

f7od0fA.jpeg

The other I haven't quite figured out but I think its a dodge (with the same timing as a parry and able to dodge red attacks) that increases the power of the attack you can do coming out of the dodge.

It's a perfect guard + counterattack. It's literally a perfect guard because it also damages the weapons. The strong attack counter is so damn strong. Even the regular attack counter is very powerful.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, and the weapon is amazing! The move set is so good. The weapon is almost broken with how good it is.

f7od0fA.jpeg

It's a perfect guard + counterattack. It's literally a perfect guard because it also damages the weapons. The strong attack counter is so damn strong. Even the regular attack counter is very powerful.

How do you get the glaive? Is it just automatically added to your weapon storage or do you have to pick it up somewhere in game?

teed

Banned
Aug 25, 2023
Yeah it's much more powerful than I thought because I was just using it in isolation or with a single counter-attack.

This video is a great (very high skill) showcase of it. Including how you can parry-attack-parry very quickly with it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_uKQlRrvhE

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's much more powerful than I thought because I was just using it in isolation or with a single counter-attack.

This video is a great (very high skill) showcase of it. Including how you can parry-attack-parry very quickly with it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_uKQlRrvhE

I don't get how he's able to keep deflecting her rapid attacks with the fable art without using up a fable bar. I know if you follow up with a light attack after blocking, it doesn't use a fable bar, but he just kept blocking.

teed

Banned
Aug 25, 2023
I don't get how he's able to keep deflecting her rapid attacks with the fable art without using up a fable bar. I know if you follow up with a light attack after blocking, it doesn't use a fable bar, but he just kept blocking.
I tried it just now on two characters and for me just parrying without attacking was fable bar neutral on my unleveled character and slightly positive on my NG+ character (probably because of the skills for parrying charging the fable bar). Which kind of makes it a bit busted if you can fable parry and counter attack and end up with more fable than you started with. It does use up the fable bar if you mistime it though.
Nice! For some reason I've found this fight to be kinda brutal in all of my playthroughs. Especially if I don't want to spam throwables.
Yeah I've not found it to be a very satisfying boss. I usually just do the throwable spam and retreat down the ladder cheese. This stretch of Walker of Illusions - Corrupted Parade Master - BRB2 - Door Guardian is the worst in the game, which is actually very impressive because it's not all that bad at all.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
How important is weapon scaling? Can I get away with using weapons that I'm not optimized for?

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
How important is weapon scaling? Can I get away with using weapons that I'm not optimized for?

You can change the scaling one grade level from default. You don't really need that much flat damage so I would be inclined to say that it's not that important for just beating the content.

teed

Banned
Aug 25, 2023
Does that count as a win or not?

Yes it did! Which was cool because that was the first time I got it under half health so I might have saved an hour or more. I think the win must be locked in as soon as you get the drops, and it looks like they started to fade in the frame after its health bar hit zero.

Good thing it wasn't a From game because there's always a little pause before you get that "Enemy Defeated" message.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I hope the runback to bosses doesn't continue to be awful. I used a spectre on Scrapped Watchman even though I'd rather figure it out 1v1. The full minute of runback just annoyed me too much

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the runback to bosses doesn't continue to be awful. I used a spectre on Scrapped Watchman even though I'd rather figure it out 1v1. The full minute of runback just annoyed me too much

Stargazers are right outside the boss arena for the rest of the game.

I don't remember that runback being a full minute, there should be a Stargazer right at the beginning of that area, and a shortcut door.

amara

Nov 23, 2021

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I remember one actual real runback in the entire game (The Door Guardian). For the others there basically isn't any significant runback, or at least it felt that way. They are very generous with stargazers/shortcuts in this game imo.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for something to play that isn't Dark Souls or Elden Ring.

How cryptic is this game? Will I need a guide to figure shit out??

teed

Banned
Aug 25, 2023

The story, characters, where you need to go, and combat mechanics are not cryptic at all.

The character stats are slighty cryptic because the game lacks the 'Explanation' button that allows you to scroll through the character stats page with descriptions of everything. But the main stats have obvious Dark Souls equivalents. The only thing that's really unclear is the perk tree, but even that's not that bad.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Played through the game. Pretty damn good. Excited for the sequel that is being teased past the credits.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So... How much did they buff heavy weapons? Also how much did they nerf Nameless Puppet? I watched a streamer just, annihilate him in one try with the Holy Sword of the Ark. Just constant stagger.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

The story, characters, where you need to go, and combat mechanics are not cryptic at all.

The character stats are slighty cryptic because the game lacks the 'Explanation' button that allows you to scroll through the character stats page with descriptions of everything. But the main stats have obvious Dark Souls equivalents. The only thing that's really unclear is the perk tree, but even that's not that bad.

Thanks! Picked it up this morning and will play after work!

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021

I think this game takes as much work to follow as any FromSoftware game. Important NPCs move their residence at various points in the game and it can be difficult to track them down without looking it up; the P-Organ/upgrade system is not very clear as the upgrades and subupgrades beneath each unlock are really one and the same in terms of their benefit to your character, etc. It really isn't that much different than Elden Ring or Dark Souls.

I had the best time by using a guide to find all of the collectibles and looking up the best early and late-game builds.

The Quartz used to unlock P-Organ stats, in particular, is really important and you won't want to miss any Quartz locations.

These were the two guides that I used for collectibles:

https://www.powerpyx.com/lies-of-p-collectibles-guide-100-completion/
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3036453302

I started with an elemental (Advance) build switching between electricity and fire depending on the enemy types. And then used the Bone Cutting Sawblade + Dancer's Curved Sword Handle (Technique build with the Puppet String arm) past Chapter 7+ once the option to respec was given.

I echo the sentiment that this is a great game. One of the best games on Game Pass, especially if you like Souls games.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I think this game takes as much work to follow as any FromSoftware game. Important NPCs move their residence at various points in the game and it can be difficult to track them down without looking it up; the P-Organ/upgrade system is not very clear as the upgrades and subupgrades beneath each unlock are really one and the same in terms of their benefit to your character, etc. It really isn't that much different than Elden Ring or Dark Souls.

I had the best time by using a guide to find all of the collectibles and looking up the best early and late-game builds.

The Quartz used to unlock P-Organ stats, in particular, is really important and you won't want to miss any Quartz locations.

These were the two guides that I used for collectibles:

https://www.powerpyx.com/lies-of-p-collectibles-guide-100-completion/
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3036453302

I started with an elemental (Advance) build switching between electricity and fire depending on the enemy types. And then used the Bone Cutting Sawblade + Dancer's Curved Sword Handle (Technique build with the Puppet String arm) past Chapter 7+ once the option to respec was given.

I echo the sentiment that this is a great game. One of the best games on Game Pass, especially if you like Souls games.

Thanks -

I've got the Steam guide open on my phone when I play to make sure I don't miss anything important.

So far, I am having a blast and am loving the setting. It's not overly difficult so far (only just got the Life Amulet after the first Brawler Puppet). Running a heavy build at the moment. The one thing I keep mixing up is that perfect guard doesn't immediately mean I can follow up. I've gotten punished for that a few times, so I need to remember to wait for my opening AFTER the attack chain, even if I guard it out.