HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And Pixar said they were done doing sequels and prequels.

Sigh, they straight up lied.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Ok this actually has potential now that that's been cleared up. Director?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
prequel? i thought he was basically born when andy opened his box

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
On the one hand, cool. On the other hand, I really want Pixar to make as many original movies as they can. Sequels and prequels aren't as exciting.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
No see this is interesting, its like when you get a toy with a voice box and they CLEARY didnt get the guy from the movie, we're just experiencing it the other way around.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
This sucks so bad. So in the fiction of Toy Story, according to Disney, around 1995-1999, this real human astronaut was so popular that kids across the country went fucking wild for his toys. And his toy counterpart has no knowledge of any real space travel, but is imbued with these wild space fantasies about Zurg and hyperdrive.

edit:

Pixar has revealed Lightyear, a new feature film based on the inspiration for Toy Story's famous Space Ranger. The film was announced by Pixar chief creative officer Pete Docter during Disney's annual investor day presentation on December 10.

Lightyear will be a "science-fiction adventure film unlike anything we've done before," explained Docter.

"At first glance you might think, 'Well, this is a Toy Story film. Well, not so fast. See, back when we created the very first Toy Story, we designed Buzz Lightyear with the idea that he was a toy based on some really cool character from an epic, blockbuster film. Well, all these years later we decided it's time to make that film."

Lightyear is described as an origin story for Buzz Lightyear, charting his rise from test pilot to Space Ranger. Directed by Finding Dory co-director Angus MacLane, Lightyear will star Chris Evans as the voice of Buzz and is scheduled to hit cinemas in summer 2022.
So in 1995, CGI was advanced enough to make a weird round headed spaceman in a blockbuster film?

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I think deciding that Buzz Lightyear was actually based on some real astronaut in the Toy Story universe and not a Saturday morning cartoon character like he's been presented as in every Toy Story movie is a weird pivot and will be hard to advertise to audiences.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
e6uaUeN.jpg

Pixar said fuck this shit.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm still confused a bit by the concept. I get it's what the toy is based off of, but is it the show then with Zerg and whatnot? Or was that itself a take on a real dude in the TS universe named Buzz Lightyear or something?

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm still confused a bit by the concept. I get it's what the toy is based off of, but is it the show then with Zerg and whatnot? Or was that itself a take on a real dude in the TS universe named Buzz Lightyear or something?

Think of it like the movie based on the game based on the movie type of thing, I guess?

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
I'm ok with them getting rid of Tim Allen. He has become unbearable. I wonder how much of a pain in the ass he was during Toy Story 4? Watching it, you really get the feeling they tried to minimize him as much as they could.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think deciding that Buzz Lightyear was actually based on some real astronaut in the Toy Story universe and not a Saturday morning cartoon character like he's been presented as in every Toy Story movie is a weird pivot and will be hard to advertise to audiences.
I don't think that's what this is.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
You know what, I'll take it. What they did to buzz in toy story 4 was criminal, and I'm saying that as someone that loved that movie.

Also this is just hype. This is like, an adventures of star command kinda deal I take it? Not actually toys?

Yes, Pete made it clear that it is the movie the toy is based on. Won't be a toy story movie

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
What the FUCK does that mean

Buzz Lightyear the toy is an action figure based on an astronaught. This is the movie about that astronaught.

In other words, imagine if this was a western animated feature about a cowboy called Woody Pride? No affiliation with the toy itself, it's more to do with the universe and story the toy was based on.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda love this idea, it's definitely unique.

In the Toy Story universe, the character/toy of Buzz Lightyear is based on a real astronaut (sort of like their own Neil Armstrong) who was named Buzz Lightyear.

The movie will be the origin story of that "real" astronaut that eventually inspired the creation of the toy.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks so bad. So in the fiction of Toy Story, according to Disney, around 1995-1999, this real human astronaut was so popular that kids across the country went fucking wild for his toys. And his toy counterpart has no knowledge of any real space travel, but is imbued with these wild space fantasies about Zurg and hyperdrive.

edit:

So in 1995, CGI was advanced enough to make a weird round headed spaceman in a blockbuster film?
What exactly are you trying to say here? This movie isn't a movie from inside the Toy Story universe that we are watching, like something Andy would put on TV, it's the actual events of the human being in the Toy Story universe.

In Toy Story there are humans and toys. Buzz Lightyear is a toy based on a human in the Toy Story world. As in, within the world of Toy Story, there was an actual human (like Andy and Sid) named Buzz Lightyear who was a space ranger, who then gained such popularity that he had a cartoon, video game, and toys based off him. This movie, "Lightyear", is the story of the actual human Buzz Lightyear going from rookie to Space Ranger and presumably will show us why he was so amazing that he had toys based off of him.

The only link to the other Toy Story movies this movie should have, is that two characters share the name "Buzz Lightyear". There won't be any Woody, or Hamm, or Rex, or any other toys, because it's a movie about a human.

He's an actor, not a VA as far as I know. Typically when celebrities do voices it's just their normal voice. He got the role because he's famous lol
There are plenty of actors that this isn't true for, though. Look at Nick Offerman in The Lego Movie or one of my favorites, Jordan Peele in Captain Underpants. We don't know that Chris won't be doing a voice, using just his normal voice, trying to imitate Tim Allen, pulling a Lego Batman and doing a gravely heroic version of his voice, etc.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of actors that this isn't true for, though. Look at Nick Offerman in The Lego Movie or one of my favorites, Jordan Peele in Captain Underpants. We don't know that Chris won't be doing a voice, using just his normal voice, trying to imitate Tim Allen, pulling a Lego Batman and doing a gravely heroic version of his voice, etc.
They're not paying Chris Evans money for him to do another voice

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
So is this going to be a movie about a cartoon but otherwise close to normal astronaut, or do Zurg and Star Command exist in the Toy Story universe?