Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
This is probably not intentional, not a good look with that mouth tough. Is the studio japanese by any chance?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
At a guess it's probably based on the Zuni Fetish Doll/He Who Kills character like Diablo's fetish designs are:

Trilogy_of_Terror_II_1996_big_poster.jpg

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game looked amazing and all and was one of my most hyped titles. I however didn't notice this during the trailer. I do hope that they change it because it would be something holding me back from buying it.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This can be easily fixed before release, so it's just a matter of if they will or not. Right now it's the only thing spoiling an otherwise fantastic looking game.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is totally blatant. I hope they're able to change the character. Like....why is the lip colour even red.

Who holds a blow dart like that?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
This.

Is Aku Aku also offensive now?

21569346-16ff-4459-9dbd-e84942bf6be0.jpg
Are we serious with this crap?
Aku Aku is a floating mask who lives in a world populated by talking animals. He is not supposed to represent any minority groups.

Some of you need to understand that it is statistically speaking VERY likely that these will be the only instance of black characters in this game and said instance is going to be an outdated caricature of "savage" African culture.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Unless A) you are a complete asshole and/or B) that particular mask is a 100% authentic African tribal mask that for some reason absolutely needs to be in your fantasy game about a kid who hunts monsters for some reason, you would change it just to remove any sort of connotation to something that can be seen as deeply offensive and hurtful to a portion of your potential audience.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they change it. One of the top games of the show for me, but not a fan of that representation.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Are we serious with this crap?
Aku Aku is a floating mask who lives in a world populated by talking animals. He is not supposed to represent any minority groups.

Some of you need to understand that it is statistically speaking VERY likely that these will be the only instance of black characters in this game and said instance is going to be an outdated caricature of "savage" African culture.

THIS

Context matters, look at the rest of the game's presentation, setting, etc. It's really problematic.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
To be honest I didn't notice this while watching but that definitely needs to be changed.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I didn't see that, and i think it is important that more people get sensitized about racial content.
I think chinese men with big hats and chopsticks would have been more recognised as racial content, and that is somewhat a problem.

But where lies the border that is not meant to be crossed?

What makes this ok
h2.jpg

and the tribal people in the other game not ok?

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
No experience from there but Japan has always seemed bad and last time I was in China I ended up going to a haunted house my brother recommended. I entered the house before realizing that it had completely changed, being dragged in a canoe by "actors" wearing hula skirts and black face while playing minaret samples and then it only got worse. Way worse.

I realize not all asian countries are the same but if I worked for a company that catered to an international audience I'd put some of the budget towards help with diversity, help with the depiction of characters/script and basic clean up. It also helps improving the game.
Sony should be able to sponsor 10-15 k towards that sort of thing at least (preferably more).

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I did not bring this up yesterday but as the dust is settling, it is good to see this topic:

Despite my love for the visual aesthetics, there were serious undertones of colonialism on display in that game including the display of "savages".

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see that, and i think it is important that more people get sensitized about racial content.
I think chinese man with big hats and chopsticks would have been more recognised as racial content, and that is somewhat a problem.

What makes this ok
h2.jpg

I can't tell what exactly you are trying to point out in this blurry pic, but what makes the imagery in the other game specifically not okay is that it is utilizing age old stereotypes of africans. It does not appear to be remotely authentic. As the game is going for a very turn of the century safari type aesthetic, It would seem they are also using a 1930s racist depiction of what white people back then would have thought African tribes looked like. The big red lips in particular are an example of exaggerated "samba" caricatures that were (and still are) used to demean and belittle black people. This is why it appears to be in poor taste and why people are pushing back on it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the tribal savage trope is really uncomfortable and then you throw in the design of the mask combined and whoof. I really hope this gets changed before release.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I saw those during the trailer. It is a pretty huge bummer that they have racist caricatures when it was the most intriguing game of the show (and that was a packed show).

Hopefully, they aren't stupidly pigheaded, can understand why these enemies are extremely problematic, and will completely redesign them.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think chinese men with big hats and chopsticks would have been more recognised as racial content, and that is somewhat a problem.

What makes this ok
h2.jpg

one is appropriation to some degree yeah. the other is upholding outright mockery and long established racist imagery, how do you not see the difference?

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I can't tell what exactly you are trying to point out in this blurry pic, but what makes the imagery in the other game specifically not okay is that it is utilizing age old stereotypes of africans. It does not appear to be remotely authentic. As the game is going for a very turn of the century safari type aesthetic, It would seem they are also using a 1930s racist depiction of what white people back then would have thought African tribes looked like. The big red lips in particular are an example of exaggerated "samba" caricatures that were (and still are) used to demean and belittle black people. This is why it appears to be in poor taste and why people are pushing back on it.

also, everyone in horizon is a tribe aesthetic and not just "savage africans"

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What makes this ok
h2.jpg

There was a thread about horizon earlier that was locked

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely caught that in the initial stream, was waiting for it to blow up. Sucks, they should change it.

Dec 30, 2019
I am not sure why the Horizon thread was locked, but between Devil and HZ Sony sure had a lot of games about colonialism to show. (JETT: Far Shore remains to be seen as well). "Forbidden West" absolutely calls to mind depictions of the indigenous west while the US empire was expanding.

Can we stop making colonial cosplay games?

I did not bring this up yesterday but as the dust is settling, it is good to see this topic:

Despite my love for the visual aesthetics, there were serious undertones of colonialism on display in that game including the display of "savages".

^^

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
If that's the only point then yeah, I get it now.
It's not the only reason. The mask in itself has a pretty questionable design (as others pointed out, actual African Masks don't have thick, red lips), but when you combine that with a person with black skin, short stature and dreadlocks, you get a stereotype straight out of old cartoons that are not allowed to be shown on Television for that very reason.