UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, not really feeling it at the moment. just looks some shit I've already seen before, and I'm not just talking about the animated film.

I'm sure it will have a great message though, and hopefully it does well.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just looked it up, and god dammit they're making the Jungle Book 2? Didn't see that coming lol. Thought they'd stop once they run out of classic movies to remake
lol nope. Expect more and more original content in addition to the remakes, so they're not running out any time soon. Aladdin 2 is a lock, and they might even make one for BatB.

Jul 5, 2019
As someone who's been downright against most of these live action remakes, I'm pretty down for this. It seems way more respectful and faithful to the original story and actually seems somewhat visually appealing too.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I like it tbh. Leaves a good feeling for me.

But srsly disney stop making live action remakes

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
How DARE they use the instrumental of "Reflection" when it won't even be sung in the movie?

Other than that it looks good I guess. Cautiously waiting to see more.
Apparently the songs from the animated film are being included as instrumentals.

Honestly, I think a lot of people are going to absolutely hate this movie in the US. At least if they're coming at it for nostalgia. Anybody just looking for a PG(-13?) action film will be satisfied.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like it tbh. Leaves a good feeling for me.

But srsly disney stop making live action remakes
700f709379e801d94122d2cd1581052a61e3d54ev2_hq.jpg

Like it or not, they're nowhere near done with this train.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'll Make a Man Out of You is the best Disney song. I can't sanction a remake without it.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I hate all the Disney live action remakes but i fucking love me some Mulan and this looks fucking good so i am not even mad.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looked alright. As other people have pointed out, some of the trailers for the animated film were more serious than the eventual tone of the film itself so I don't know how much we can glean from this in terms of how "serious" it will be.

Jan 10, 2018
actually looks pretty good. when i heard they were doing Mulan next i was like oh they hit the bottom of the barrel, but this is it's its own deal apparently

fake edit: and i completely forgot about the chinese box office so yeah of course they're doing mulan next

This could fall on the nose like Crazy Rich Asians. China has more than enough historic action movies. Its probably their most crowded part of the movie market

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Trailer looks interesting. It Seems they are going with the original story? I guess that is why there is no magic? I was surprised to see them putting the family in a tulou! I do not remember if that is part of the original historical accounts.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it looks good. I'd far rather these movies be fresh adaptations than just live action translations of the originals. What's the point?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
These are not all necessarily remakes, for instance Jungle Cruise and Artemis Fowl would have been Untitled Disney Live Action at one point also. That being said we just got casting news for Little Mermaid so that's at least one that's a remake that will take one of those slots.
I didn't say they were. But we do know of close to a dozen remakes they've either confirmed to be working on, or alluded to, so a good chunk of those will be remakes or sequels to the remakes.

^^^^
Live Action doesn't necessarily mean a remake

Last edited:

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
A fully non-vocal orchestral version of "Ill make a man out of you" over some training sequence - to me- sounds pretty awesome.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
How many of these live action movies are remakes of their classics? They can't have that many left that are worth remaking.

They're going to do all of them eventually. As long as they keep making money, they'll get through their entire backlog and probably wrap back around to start doing sequels for the more successful ones.

That being said, at least live action Mulan is looking pretty good. Might be a good choice for this sort of thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes thats exactly what I wanted from the remake of my favorite Disney movie,
to be a generic chinese war movie with none of character or uniqueness.

Normally im for these remakes but fuck this.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like it will be pretty nice, but I'm extremely confused why they'd keep her hair long.

Jul 4, 2018
I didn't say they were. But we do know of close to a dozen remakes they've either confirmed to be working on, or alluded to, so a good chunk of those will be remakes or sequels to the remakes.

^^^^

I just seemed that's what you were implying. Yes Disney is working on a bunch only other thing with looking at theatrical dates is that some of those in development may go to Disney+ like what has happened with Lady and the Tramp.

But I do agree that over the next few years we'll get a decent amount of remakes of the classics.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh despite what I said I'm curious on how they would show Atlantis or Lilo & Stitch in Live action
Atlantis getting another shot in the limelight sounds awesome. But you don't have to wait long on the latter since it was already confirmed to be coming in the next few years.

What I'm not really looking forward to are some of the remakes consisting of only animals. Lady and the Tramp remake looks so basic. But Lion King looks fine imo so I'll have to wait and see before judging too harshly.

I just seemed that's what you were implying. Yes Disney is working on a bunch only other thing with looking at theatrical dates is that some of those in development may go to Disney+ like what has happened with Lady and the Tramp.

But I do agree that over the next few years we'll get a decent amount of remakes of the classics.
I specifically didn't mention it because I knew it wouldn't be the case. With as many movies as Disney makes, all 6 live action titles aren't all going to be remakes.

But yeah, I fully expect some of them to be exclusive to their streaming service.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of those chinese wuxia tv series I used to watch back when I was a kid....
Especially the fight choreography.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, I give up. I'm just not feeling any of these live action Disney films. They all look so dull. Throw in the damn towel Disney and give us some new OG animated movies.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OK, I give up. I'm just not feeling any of these live action Disney films. They all look so dull. Throw in the damn towel Disney and give us some new OG animated movies.
They can't hear you through the stacks of billions of dollars they've made from these remakes.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So here's my problem, the colour. The film just has a significantly duller colour pallete. It's just appears to be gone in this version. To compare and contrast.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

And this isn't just with the musical numbers. Even comparing more standard scenes, the colours seem a lot more muted.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Maybe they can improve it (The matchmaker scene looks to use a good colour pallette at least and that's one of the bigger focuses in the trailer but...

Eh, I'm not feeling this one.

And the cutting of Shang is already dragging it down quite significantly.

Jul 4, 2018

The two aren't exclusive, even though we've had these live action remakes we've also got Frozen, Zootopia, Moana etc. plus we also got two original Pixar films coming next year. You don't have to watch everything Disney puts out, if you are just into original animated stuff there is still plenty coming out for you to see.

Jul 4, 2018
Atlantis getting another shot in the limelight sounds awesome. But you don't have to wait long on the latter since it was already confirmed to be coming in the next few years.

What I'm not really looking forward to are some of the remakes consisting of only animals. Lady and the Tramp remake looks so basic. But Lion King looks fine imo so I'll have to wait and see before judging too harshly.

I specifically didn't mention it because I knew it wouldn't be the case. With as many movies as Disney makes, all 6 live action titles aren't all going to be remakes.

But yeah, I fully expect some of them to be exclusive to their streaming service.

That makes sense 6 remakes in one year would be overkill. Atlantis remake would be awesome, I'd also love to see a Treasure Planet remake.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
First one of these with what looks like genuinely good cinematography.
The rest of these remakes have looked so drastically inferior and bland when compared to the originals. But this looks quite promising.