RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Disney got major backlash from Native Americans(for good reason)the first time they did Pocahontas. I doubt they do it again in this climate.
It'd probably be like this. Heavily redone. They got backlash from China about the original Mulan so now they're doing it more in tune with the original story. Could do similarly with Pocahontas and consult with or get a Native American director/writer, etc.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
This has me more excited than the other Disney live-action remakes. Take liberties, use the existing source material to make something different.

Looks like it could be a great movie.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The training camp song is arguably a top 5 Disney song. Huge blow to this movie to not have that in here tbh

I guess it could be okay. Cant get any more boring than that Beauty and the Beast remake, at least this will have some martial arts in it

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
What's the point in remaking if you're just doing the same movie? I applaud this one for going off course and trying something that may actually fit the new visual style.
Because a remake should take stuff from the original and improve on it, removing stuff is not much of an improvement...
They enjoy music, obviously. But clearly they didn't enjoy the 90's US pop ballads of the original, since the animated version flopped in that territory. This is an attempt to court that audience by doing a more traditional take on the legend.
That's a shame, the songs are kind of the soul of those movies.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Because a remake should take stuff from the original and improve on it, removing stuff is not much of an improvement...
Not necessarily. Remakes can also be more of a re-envisioning. And you do take things out that don't fit and add things that do.

If you want the original + better and nothing else then that's a remaster. Completely changing visual style and shoehorning everything else in is just dumb.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

That's a shame, the songs are kind of the soul of those movies.
Removing things can be an improvement. Can't really say one way or the other based on a 1 minute teaser of an hour to two hour long movie.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
They enjoy music, obviously. But clearly they didn't enjoy the 90's US pop ballads of the original, since the animated version flopped in that territory. This is an attempt to court that audience by doing a more traditional take on the legend.
I may be crazy but I feel like they would like it now if it was in the movie.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Looks alright to me.. but seriously, when are we getting the live remake of the GOAT of Disney animated films, Lilo and Stitch .

Aine

May 27, 2019
It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't stand out much compared to most wuxia films. Hopefully, that'll change once we see more.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Not necessarily. Remakes can also be more of a re-envisioning. And you do take things out that don't fit and add things that do.

If you want the original + better and nothing else then that's a remaster. Completely changing visual style and shoehorning everything else in is just dumb.
This is not even the first live action mulan movie so Disney is not doing anything special here.
Removing things can be an improvement. Can't really say one way or the other based on a 1 minute teaser of an hour to two hour long movie.
Removing the oscar nominated ost is not an improvement, imagine if Aladdin or The lion king didn't have the music, no one wants that.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Mulan 2020 is a reboot

not a remake

Disney is planning the same thing with the black couldren

a more accurate to the source material readaption that is hopefully of better quality.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This is not even the first live action mulan movie so Disney is not doing anything special here.

This sounds like it'll be a much different movie. A more serious take on the original legend. So yes it is different. And I thought the other remakes were weird just shoving in the musical numbers nearly the same into an art style and mood that didn't fit. Movies should be cohesive.

I've seen Jungle Book and while it's not a bad movie the music doesn't work. Everything I saw of Lion King makes me feel the music will be radically out of place with the art style and I wish they had gone this route. I already have The Lion King and hell I've got The Lion King Broadway music too. I don't need it again shoved into a realistic animal movie.

Removing the oscar nominated ost is not an improvement, imagine if Aladdin or The lion king didn't have the music, no one wants that.
It's not "removing" to not have the same thing in a remake.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Except they can and have made their own more traditional takes without any worry of Hollywood leaking into the adaptation.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It could be, this is all conjecture. Mulan is my sixth favorite movie of all time so no I don't think it will be better to me personally, but that only says so much. As said multiple times already, most of the Chinese audience hated the movie, in part due to the music. So to them a wuxian take is probably much improved.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Looks way too serious. Seeing her actually killing people seems strange.

Also, there better be "be a man" in it.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't stand out much compared to most wuxia films. Hopefully, that'll change once we see more.
Yeah I think that's where I'm at. It looks like a wuxia movie but I wouldn't watch a wuxia movie on my own initiative. Different story for the Chinese audience though.

Awaiting reviews it is then!

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was fine as a teaser. Did they previously confirm there would be no music from the original in this? Would be a mistake not to have the music from the originals.

I thought I heard traces and hints of Reflection in the teaser music though... am I the only one?

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
It could be, this is all conjecture. Mulan is my sixth favorite movie of all time so no I don't think it will be better to me personally, but that only says so much. As said multiple times already, most of the Chinese audience hated the movie, in part due to the music. So to them a wuxian take is probably much improved.

They hated the music, the dragon, and key element left out of the story to make it for kids.

Btw everyone watch Mulan 2009. It's pretty entertaining

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Music is very big for the Disney movies, so this is disappointing. We'll see how the movie ends up being I guess.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Don't understand the negative reaction, it looked fine to me, especially considering it's just a teaser.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I still dont know why anyone needs these live action remakes. It's pure money making. Playing it safe. Creative bankruptcy. The old movies are fine and kids still like them, just hire more people and give us new stories, Disney!

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They hated the music, the dragon, and key element left out of the story to make it for kids.

Btw everyone watch Mulan 2009. It's pretty entertaining
Thanks for that. Didn't know Mushu was a point of contention, but makes sense considering how he was portrayed.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Both the trailer and poster threads on the Movies subreddit got locked because of racism. :|

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
After Mulan and the Little Mermaid, it's gonna be strange to see live-action Hercules and Tarzan movies in the next 5 years. And then Lilo and Stitch...

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see a Disney movie that seems to not be aimed so much at Western audiences. Interesting to see people's reactions to that fact.

Also, for all of you who are all like "Mulan is synonymous with Mushu" you do realize that Mulan was a millennia old story before Disney ever got to it, right? Get over yourselves.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I haven't actually seen any of the live action disney movies (though I did watch Lindsay Ellis' vid on beauty and the beast) but this looked better and more interesting than anything I've seen of those (which seem to all be largely trying to completely recreate the original animated film)

rude

Oct 25, 2017
There is a really big cinematography problem with these live action movies between this and Aladdin. They do not look like the fantastical big-budget productions that they're supposed to be. Literal TV movie type of aesthetic.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I dunno have to wait and see. Trailer was kinda bland.

That said everybody complaining about shot to shot remakes and the only Disney remake I rate at all is Jungle Book which is pretty much by the book remake. All the rest if they came on would give me inclination to turn them off and put on the animated movie instead whereas Jungle Book I think I'd enjoy them both because the tones and performances stand out.

Remake wise...
Cinderella, haven't seen it. Want to at some point.

Maleficent/Sleeping Beauty - Interesting idea wasted. The way the movie plays out just bored me. Half of the entire movie was told like a flashback.

Beauty and the Beast - Tried to be by the numbers remake but fluffed it up with a lot of kinda half thought extra content. Threw the pacing off for me and the performances were so-so. Rate it just OK but would absolutely rather watch the original. Remake seems messy and unfocused but looks beautiful I guess.

Dumbo - Not really shot for shot remake at all. Terrible script. The childrens dialogie sounds like it was written by children it was extremely wooden.

Aladdin - Only shot for shot for some scenes. Otherwise they took lots of liberties which didn't gel with me. Animals were not really used well, new songs didn't fit, felt like a Frozen scene at one point, Jafar seemed horribly cast Hakim seemed like he could fit a dark mysterious visor better, kinda was kinda dumbfounded at his casting and extra fluff seemed weak like Jafar wanting war with Jasmines mums country and Genie's
love interest.

For me the further they get from the source the worse movies they have been. Totally reimagining the story might work better though. The only thing that really bugged me about the trailer was Mulan doing the Chrouching Tiger sword moves. I always thought she was normal but had the tenacity to become a good swordsperson, trailer made her look like an unrealisticly epic king fu artist which feels kinds of works against the story being more grounded.

Last edited: