• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably going to have the timelines near simultaneous. The virus will have already begun to spread in Raccoon City at the same time as the mansion is visited by Stars.

This way you can half both groups in the same area and run the story in parallel.

The only issue would be Claire's motive for hitting the city, but that can easily be swapped in for like, a surprise visit or something to see her big bro.

They can mostly follow the game beats while still taking some liberties here and there.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
RE1 will be a 10-15 min cold open like recent Bond films, the next hour and 45 mins will be the events of 2. The sequel will be like back to the future 2 showing the events of 3 and different perspective on 2. The third movie with just be resident evil 4

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Shooting scenes with fixed camera angles in the style of the old REs would actually be pretty different from typical movie camera angles, especially it's extend sequences. It's not just a stationary camera, it's the placement of the camera and what happens in the shot.
I know movies aren't filmed exclusively with highly expressive angles but reading it still cracked me up.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The plot of RE1 and RE2 is "what the hell is going on in this creepy mansion/police station ahhh zombies". You can finish the games in less than three hours and most of that is running around shoving gems into things and trying to remember your way around. It isn't going to be that hard.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
To me, the most interesting thing to see is how the movie will try to make sense of Wesker and Birkin both plotting collaboratively, as well as individually. Those two are the main ones that help tie the original games (and 0) together, so, how much you can make their antics occurring all at the same time somewhat "believable" will make or break the film, to me.

Goonie

Oct 26, 2017
They're probably going to have the timelines near simultaneous. The virus will have already begun to spread in Raccoon City at the same time as the mansion is visited by Stars.

This way you can half both groups in the same area and run the story in parallel.

The only issue would be Claire's motive for hitting the city, but that can easily be swapped in for like, a surprise visit or something to see her big bro.

They can mostly follow the game beats while still taking some liberties here and there.
IIRC, Claire and Chris are RC natives in this.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope it turns out well. The runtime, all the talk of trying to aping elements of the games, and the split perspectives of quite a substantial cast makes it seem like it'll fall in similar pitfalls of other film adaptations of games. Everyone going on about how short the plot of the games are misses the point that this is a film, not a game, and the narrative is the driving force instead of mechanics. Corners can't be cut in the same way if something decent is to come out of it.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Should have just been "Resident Evil" seeing as this reboots the movie series or at the least "Resident Evil: Racoon City."

"Welcome to Racoon City" sounds campy as fuck. Unless that's what they're going for.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Adapting both games into one movie seems like a bad idea...
I actually think it's a smart idea as I'm not convinced you could make a "good" movie out of just the plot of RE1 or RE2 alone. However, the part that is making me think this is a bad idea is making the plots of both games occur concurrently in one night.

Though, to be fair, I'm not sure if this is intended to be a good movie with wider appeal or if they're aiming for the usual campy, middling, but possibly fun in it's own way, video game movie. Have there been any indications on what the expected tone of this movie will be?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Leon will finally meet Wesker in this movie. Leon is the only main character who has never met Wesker in any capacity be it game, movie, etc...

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Trying to adapt 1 & 2 into the same movie along with all of their characters worries me a bit, but

THIS has me intrigued, I'm really curious how they're planning to adapt this. This is going to be a mess, but I'd rather it be a mess that's faithful to the games than whatever they were doing with the other movies (no matter how loveably ridiculous some of those scenes are. I mean, did you see the scene where Wesker did backflips and fought the director's wife? It's hard to stay mad at how dumb those films got)

lairo

May 28, 2020
There's no way it can be faithful if it all happens simultaneously. You'd either be telling two different stories that don't interact with each other at once and meet at the end or not at all, which would be boring and end up with a way different ending, or have them occur sequentially in which case you're doing two separate arcs one after the other, which would be exhausting as a viewer.

By the time of RE2 Jill is already battle scarred by zombies and more of a badass, so they're killing any chance of RE3 if she goes from being 'what's a zombie'-terrified to 'suck it, Nemesis' in one night.

I guess we'll see, I guess it could end up good but I feel it'll either be bloated or way too different than the source.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
If they use RE1 intro, i.e, they won't need setting up the arklay cases that led to spencer mansion, and there you can have the plot in about 40 minutes without leaving any important part (crows, hunters, the lab, itchy-tasty, and so on). Then, time skip...
And REmake 2 intro, then 70 minutes of city mayhem.
It will have a brisk pace but it's doable.

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Shooting scenes with fixed camera angles in the style of the old REs would actually be pretty different from typical movie camera angles, especially it's extend sequences. It's not just a stationary camera, it's the placement of the camera and what happens in the shot.

In a way, Resident Evils fixed camera angles look pretty similar to CCTV footage, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd incorporate the angles in such a way.

Also, how's the Netflix show with Daddy Wesker coming along?

Oct 20, 2018
Interested in everything here. This could work. What I really would like to see if they they take their time building tension. I would love if STARS members were ultra capable, but still struggle in certain instances. This is a dream, but if they could have standalone movies for the characters going forward after this, that'd be swell

Oct 30, 2017
I can't wait to see the Spencer Mansion presented in the movie, one of the best iconic and most atmospheric locations ever.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Not really liking that idea. 1 and 2 are tonally completely different games. One has more of a haunted house vibe going on, while 2 goes for a more traditional zombie outbreak scenario. Don't see how you could mash those two together without creating a mess.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
They could present the events as happening the same night, and we think the characters are going to meet up, and then the twist is that Mansion story happened months before.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
So Chris, Jill, Leon and Claire all in one 2 hour max movie ooof good luck
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Why reboot the movie series and cram all the action of 2 of the best games in the series into one movie. Make it a series!

Some decisions are too easy and this definitely feels like a missed opportunity

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Why reboot the movie series and cram all the action of 2 of the best games in the series into one movie. Make it a series!

Some decisions are too easy and this definitely feels like a missed opportunity

It'd be one thing if it was the core 4 together but they're clearly at best going to meet up at the end if even then.