Sep 29, 2019
Thank you so much for this! I've been using my finnicky notes app to track all the games i've finished this year, i will move it all to Backloggd now.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this as an alternative: You can do this in GoG Galaxy really easily using tags and their libraries. If you Sync your PS/Xbox/Steam/other launchers you automatically have your whole library in there.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this as an alternative: You can do this in GoG Galaxy really easily using tags and their libraries. If you Sync your PS/Xbox/Steam/other launchers you automatically have your whole library in there.
That sounds useful! I'd rather have more manual control over what I log, but it's nice to know

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I did the 52 games challenge on the old site, but haven't been successful since moving to Era. As a result, I've started keeping spreadsheets since I don't have the time to really participate in the challenge these days, but I enjoy the logging. I think I'll check out this site. I like Goodreads for the same kind of reasons.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I did the 52 games challenge on the old site, but haven't been successful since moving to Era. As a result, I've started keeping spreadsheets since I don't have the time to really participate in the challenge these days, but I enjoy the logging. I think I'll check out this site. I like Goodreads for the same kind of reasons.
This was very inspired by Letterboxd and Goodreads and while I haven't used those myself it's cool that people are finding it easy to start using Backloggd based on their previous experience with those sites

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This was very inspired by Letterboxd and Goodreads and while I haven't used those myself it's cool that people are finding it easy to start using Backloggd based on their previous experience with those sites

Dear Cafecito,

Thank you for this thread, I should add more games to my BackLoggd account.

xoxo,
1upmuffin

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's me as well. I haven't started doing my reviews yet but going through my backlog and just playing stuff I like. I've learned there's no point of me continuing shit I don't enjoy though. I've dropped so many games recently that I don't plan on continuing but it's let me finish way more in my backlog too

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's me as well. I haven't started doing my reviews yet but going through my backlog and just playing stuff I like. I've learned there's no point of me continuing shit I don't enjoy though. I've dropped so many games recently that I don't plan on continuing but it's let me finish way more in my backlog too
I also semi forced myself to finish games but now I have no qualms in dropping them if I'm not having fun

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I made an account there a few weeks ago and it's pretty fun. I managed to log the games I've played since the Wii era... I could try logging older ones but I don't really remember everything I played in SNES/N64/PSX/GCN so eh.

Writing reviews is fun!

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Does it have a feature to export to excel or some other platform agnostic backup?

I'm deeply committed to backloggery but I always fear it will go up in smoke

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the process as well! Though I do it mostly in Steam through categorizing games and leave my reviews there too.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I've been enjoying it too and even took the time to make lists for each year (I used my psn trophy data to see when I finished each game). It's a great way to keep track of things.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've been enjoying it too and even took the time to make lists for each year (I used my psn trophy data to see when I finished each game). It's a great way to keep track of things.
I actually just made a list for 2021 and 2020 games but since I don't have data for earlier years I can't do them for 2019 and before

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I actually just made a list for 2021 and 2020 games but since I don't have data for earlier years I can't do them for 2019 and before
I finished the lists down to ~2009 and now I'm thinking on just logging the PS2/1, GameCube/N64 and SNES/Genesis games on lists by system... As I'll never guess which year I finished what.

Oct 28, 2017
I was just about to reply haha, did you figure it out? I've been marking as Played and leaving a note in there "Started playing", but if there's a native option it's even better
There is yeah. If you go on to the journal and click the playthrough tab then click edit you can then click start date and it comes up with a date that you marked as played that you can now mark as started.

One more thing. I tried to write my initial thoughts on my Psychonauts playthrough from that same screen. Instead......it posted a review and it even said on the review that I'd completed the game lmao. Deleted it in the end. So there's no option anywhere to just have a literal journal of your thoughts as you're playing a game? You can only post a review.

It's weird because on the main journal page I can't write a review unless I mark the game as played, not juat playing. But from the playthrough section I'm still allowed to post a review. Which is why I assumed it was a separate thing and I wouldn't just be posting a review.

Improvements can be made to this for sure.

Oh well I suppose you can just put your general thoughts on the note bit when you mark a day as played can't you?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Just when I think the site doesn't have a feature it turns out it does!

This is going to change how I consume games. Well not how I consume them, but seriously just having something like this to jot my thoughts down after a session is real handy. And then Ican refer back to those when I have my final thoughts later. It's so neat.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just when I think the site doesn't have a feature it turns out it does!

This is going to change how I consume games. Well not how I consume them, but seriously just having something like this to jot my thoughts down after a session is real handy. And then Ican refer back to those when I have my final thoughts later. It's so neat.
Glad you found that feature, I think I'm gonna start writing down thoughts after each marked Play sessions too! Would be nice to revisit them afterwards to see how my opinion changed

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
How do they keep track of recently played games? Does it link with Steam or something?
Not as of now, currently it's all manual logging. But I'd say that's part of the fun, even if the option was there I probably wouldn't use it because making it automatic makes it feel less personalized, but that's just me

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
After seeing this thread I checked the website out. It's been fun to record everything. I decided I was going to try to track every game I've ever played including all consoles, arcade, phone, PC, etc. I used Steam's playtime, achievements, trophies, activity logs, GOG's tracking, etc. to make sure I got the bulk of it in there. Some games I only played for a bit and for those I marked as abandoned. It's still neat to know just how many games I've played in my life. I plan to continue to use the site going forward.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
After seeing this thread I checked the website out. It's been fun to record everything. I decided I was going to try to track every game I've ever played including all consoles, arcade, phone, PC, etc. I used Steam's playtime, achievements, trophies, activity logs, GOG's tracking, etc. to make sure I got the bulk of it in there. Some games I only played for a bit and for those I marked as abandoned. It's still neat to know just how many games I've played in my life. I plan to continue to use the site going forward.
It's been really fun, yeah! I'll get to logging every game I can remember later just to have it all in one place, but it'll take time

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
It's been really fun, yeah! I'll get to logging every game I can remember later just to have it all in one place, but it'll take time
It seemed daunting at first, but was easier than I thought to be honest. Using the resources I mentioned in my last post, memory, metacritic lists, and just browsing the lists by system I'd say I was able to get probably 95% or so of my whole life in there pretty quickly. I'm at 1309 games logged already and I'm sure I'll think of a few stragglers here and there as well as logging new games I play. Still cool because it's like my personalized video game museum.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It seemed daunting at first, but was easier than I thought to be honest. Using the resources I mentioned in my last post, memory, metacritic lists, and just browsing the lists by system I'd say I was able to get probably 95% or so of my whole life in there pretty quickly. I'm at 1309 games logged already and I'm sure I'll think of a few stragglers here and there as well as logging new games I play. Still cool because it's like my personalized video game museum.
The thing is: I write reviews (where applicable) and dates for every game I log, which is why it's much harder to log old games. I may just log those without dates, but I'd still like to leave reviews

Mar 19, 2020
The thing is: I write reviews (where applicable) and dates for every game I log, which is why it's much harder to log old games. I may just log those without dates, but I'd still like to leave reviews
Yeah, I just added approximately when I got the system those old games were on. I could at least narrow that down. I think my initial goal was to write reviews of at least the games I really loved, but after entering them all I only ended up doing a few and then just doing the new ones I've completed.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I just added approximately when I got the system those old games were on. I could at least narrow that down. I think my initial goal was to write reviews of at least the games I really loved, but after entering them all I only ended up doing a few and then just doing the new ones I've completed.
I'll try to be accurate when possible but if not it's no worries, after all this is just for fun!

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Does anyone know if when I mark a game as "playing" that date will be automatically be added as the start date when I log the journal for completing it? If it does it's really handy, if not I'll just have to remember it.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Does anyone know if when I mark a game as "playing" that date will be automatically be added as the start date when I log the journal for completing it? If it does it's really handy, if not I'll just have to remember it.
For each game you can select the Journal option
unknown.png

There you can manually mark when you start playing and every time you've played on a calendar
unknown.png

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Edit: I completely misunderstood your post at first, yes it's better to save the "start" date that way. Very useful advice thanks a lot.
You can actually select the start date just go to edit playthrough settings and then after having added at least one play session click start date, here:
bTZXsS2.png