• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm in the same boat, but we are also very lucky. Could have been muuuch worse going by the pictures and after all that time without cleaning / brushing the teeth.

I too really didn't took care of myself when I was aged 14 up until I was 23 years old. Only brushed my teeth every few days sometimes only once a week. Looking back I definitely developed depression, anxiety etc. during that time. A lot of school violence, bullying and so on happened for many years. That's probably one of many reasons I didn't care for myself.

The crazy and sad part is, every dentist in my childhood / youth told me how perfect my teeth were. They really were. But I didn't care or really realized that. (there is also a possibility for having adhd, which doesn't really help for being conscious about yourself).

When i was 22 and living in my own apartment I still had some holes in some of my back teeth. I couldn't eat or drink sweet stuff without getting crazy pain in the holes for hours. Even THAT condition didn't move my ass to the dentist, even if i knew deep inside that I have a problem and it will get much worse in the future if I don't act now.

Luckily my new girlfriend back then kicked my ass while I was freshly in love (which killed the depression in that time) and convinced me to finally go to the dentist.
They pulled all wisdom teeth, a few absolutely broken back teeth and filled holes in the other back teeth. Luckily my front teeth were still alright and nothing had to be done there.

Now I'm 30 years old, still with my girlfriend (for 7 years now), and im just glad I can enjoy great food without having any pain anymore, lol. Definitely learned my lesson and I'm still thankful every day to my girlfriend, because she saved my ass back then. Brushing my teeth at least once a day for years now.

Fun fact:

Apparently I never had a bad breath during the bad times. I even made jokes and asked people / friends if they can smell anything. Dentist told me that it's often not the mouth that produces the bad breath, but that it comes from the stomach in many cases. Maybe I was just lucky.

And man, good thing I'm in Germany when we are talking about teeth, the dentist and health care.
I'm currently unemployed (Hartz IV) and I even could get up to 4 implants without paying anything or only a tiny fragment of the costs, as far as I'm informed.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Well I started brushing properly at the age of 23, I'm 25 now. I'd hope they wouldn't be quite as awful after brushing 2-3 a day for 2 years odd.

Your story reminds me of the state my teeth were in after a similar period of neglect. This despite good access to NHS dentists in England. My new girlfriend, who is now my wife, looked at my green teeth in 1984 and insisted I go to her dentist and get them sorted out. I grumbled about it but I was secretly relieved that somebody had cared enough to lay down the law.

I'm still not the best at dental care, but I've seldom missed a dental checkup since then. Both of my parents had lost all their teeth by the age of 50, but in my early sixties now I still have a well-functioning set of teeth. In Britain with dental care available to everybody, there's no reason for anybody to suffer.

The best modern innovation in routine dental care in my lifetime is the electric toothbrush. Everybody should get one and ask their hygienist how to use it.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Don't mess around with tooth infections.

Poor Andy Hallet (Lorne from Angel) went way too early because of that shit. 33 fucking years old.

t173_feat01.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Hallett

Things like this are why I've always been so paranoid about dental hygiene.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
OP if it makes you feel any better, my teeth are much worse than yours. Years of soda and no dental care and I think just bad genes in general. Mine are fucked.

Too scared plus can't afford to get them fixed right now.
I know those feels. I'm trying to cut out coke and Fanta and the like altogether, and cut down on sweets significantly, but its real tough cos I'm so used to them. Also sugar in tea.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that wisdom teeth shit is scary as hell.

I still have all 4 mine in at 28. Maybe twice a year one of them bothers me for a few days but then it goes away. I really need to go and get it taken out, but the procedure freaks me out. I suffer from bad vertigo so I'm more afraid of the drugs, lol.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that wisdom teeth shit is scary as hell.

I still have all 4 mine in at 28. Maybe twice a year one of them bothers me for a few days but then it goes away. I really need to go and get it taken out, but the procedure freaks me out. I suffer from bad vertigo so I'm more afraid of the drugs, lol.
You should have it checked. I guess the urgency depends if they are impacted or not. My bottom wisdom teeth were completely fucking horizontal and were starting to hit the teeth there. I also had pretty mild pain every once in a while, so there was no urgency from me.
Had an awful recovery but I'm glad it didn't have any impact on other teeth.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Your teeth look (shockingly) okay for brushing your team as often as Christmas comes around. Just be more active in personal hygiene.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Super late update, gonna get a whole set of new false teeth cos mine are irreparably damaged. So the OP is still relevant, look after your teeth.