Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Either way it is odd.

Especially since she wants to break into the world of studio filmmaking and they are particularly sensitive to this sort of thing, especially when it comes to potentially upsetting Asian markets namely China.

Well, keep in mind that Asian markets tend to view things differently from Asian-American markets and sometimes find imitation flattering.

The eyes to some extent but that wing (I guess?) eyeliner style is common so it isn't just that.

Cat eye--you can see she's been doing it for years in other pictures posted to the thread.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I could pick Ariana out of a lineup of one. I wonder if her manager ever worries about losing her in a crowd.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
ishethough.png
You don't think she can sing? You may not like her music but her talent is undeniable.

I really want to defend her. Ariana has been one of the most pro-LGBT pop culture stars out there. Then she had that terrorist attack at her concert which absolutely destroyed her. I can't imagine how that must have felt.

But yes, she does seem to move between cultures very fluidly. I guess good people can still do bad things. I dunno what to feel tbh.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I wasn't paying attention when she was just Puerto Rican Jenny from the block, but I peeped game once she showed up at the cookout talking about "I knowww you seent it." Laughably blatant stuff but, hey, she got a pass somehow.

To her credit it at least looked like she fully ensconced herself in the culture. Virtually all black songwriters, producers and collaborators for years. Had her a nice little black boyfriend too for good measure. The scene seemed to embrace her so I couldn't be bothered to look at it more critically. I can't hate on her for the crossover/pop success, even if other r&b singers (most of whom are black) continue to struggle to break into the mainstream. That's not her fault.

But the aesthetics and speaking voice teetered mighty close to something weird. Appropriation? Felt like it at times but idk. I think it's the switch-ups that really have people looking at her funny. And now here we are with this new faux-Asian vibe and it's like, damnnnn girl, choose one. So to your point, yes, music is universal and artists should be able to experiment with different genres. It's just everything that surrounds it with her. The tanning, hairstyles...the colloquialisms.

The difference between being influenced by a certain style of music and all but claiming to be a certain ethnicity for credibility. It's funny that StudioTan brings up reggae, I remember when Snow hit it big with Informer. At least Snow grew up around Jamaicans, includes other artists of the style in his work, and tries to be authentic to himself as a Canadian of Irish decent while respecting the style.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see her take on Arabs. Honestly, it would be racist if she skipped over us at this point.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
If extraterrestrials built a character creator, Ariana is what I imagine "Generic Earth Female" would look like.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Count me as another person who never really gave Ariana's ethnicity a lot of thought and just assumed she was naturally of a darker skin tone. She wasn't a singer I followed or anything so I just kind of vaguely knew her as a celebrity figure. The photos in this thread have been quite a reveal.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
This one legit look like the old FaceApp where you could turn yourself into other ethnicity. She legit doesn't look like herself.

FFjKwliWYA0JNbd

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
the "k-pop look" is itself often appropriation, c'mon

So this is what happened:

1. OP quoted a tweet, made a valid point about Arianna, a WHITE woman, have been shifted from a black-ish appearance, to an asian-ish apperance(obviously have something to do with chasing the K-pop trend), raising a concern about culture appropriation in the process.
2. But not everyone immediately got the point.
3. So, I provided a video clip, from the iconic K-pop girl group,the group who was most responsible for bringing this aesthetics to the western world, and I pointed out the EXACT timeframe in my thread, to make this comparison:

0IHxKqZ.jpg

So people can see the problems more clearly.

……And you thought this was the perfect entry point to call ME out in a sarcastic tone, to make your point about "you know what K-pop is often culture appropriation"? Really?

I noticed you carefully used the word "often".If you really want to make the topic about "K-pop is often culture appropriation",better make your own thread. You chose a weird and awkward time to do it.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people stating "I thought of Ariana as _____" in this thread may not have had that specific of an idea in mind, they just took her name and slapped together how she darkened her skin to present herself as more exotic. I know from personal experience than even brown people aren't that great at placing where brown people are from at a glance; I'm South Asian, but people from Latin America, the Africa, the Middle East have all confused me for one of them.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
So this is what happened:

1. OP quoted a tweet, made a valid point about Arianna, a WHITE woman, have been shifted from a black-ish appearance, to an asian-ish apperance(obviously have something to do with chasing the K-pop trend), raising a concern about culture appropriation in the process.
2. But not everyone immediately got the point.
3. So, I provided a video clip, from the iconic K-pop girl group,the group who was most responsible for bringing this aesthetics to the western world, and I pointed out the EXACT timeframe in my thread, to make this comparison:

0IHxKqZ.jpg

So people can see the problems more clearly.

……And you thought this was the perfect entry point to call ME out in a sarcastic tone, to make your point about "you know what K-pop is often culture appropriation"? Really?

I noticed you carefully used the word "often".If you really want to make the topic about "K-pop is often culture appropriation",better make your own thread. You chose a weird and awkward time to do it.
I thought it was disingenuous comparison. I wasn't attempting to come across as sarcastic, and I'm sorry if my message came off that way or it felt as though I was singling you out. I also used "often" because it would be wrong of me to write-off an entire country's pop music as entirely cultural appropriation. I just don't think you're contributing to the conversation by bringing up Blackpink, when one of the members of the band apologized for cultural appropriation just a few months ago.

Ariana Grande loves to wear cultures as costumes in the same way a lot of notable k-pop stars have been known to do.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Ariana Grande loves to wear cultures as costumes in the same way a lot of notable k-pop stars have been known to do.

Buuuuuuuut that's the issue; she's not a K-pop star because she is white. She is having her cake and eating it too, and it looks like repeatedly.

It's fantastic she's a LGBTQIA advocate, but there needs to be a weighing of these two sides of her.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Lotta AG defence force in here, kinda shocked TBH...

Era seems to pick and choose who they let get away with appropriation. Kinda gross.

That's because a big portion don't actually give a shit about progressive values. They'll pick and choose, decide to give a pass to one person while crucifying the next (often for a separate issue than what they claim to be).

I'm a musician and I'm white. Are you telling me I'm not allowed to have reggae or latin influences in my music or else I'm culturally appropriating them? I honestly don't understand this outrage at all. Music is not a race, it's universal.

There's a difference between appropriation and being influenced. An older example would be The Beatles, they were pretty good about giving credit to the black artists who inspired them. Hell, they named an album after it basically. They also put their money where their mouth was too by not playing venues unless they were integrated. Lots of other artists from that time, including many I love, weren't as forthcoming. The worst was when they'd play a traditional blues song and then claim songwriting credit. Or folks like Clapton who owe their entire career to bring influenced by black musicians only to go on racist rants at their concerts.

I'm a musician too, and I love integrating different genres and cultures into my playing.

...continue

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
I thought it was disingenuous comparison. I wasn't attempting to come across as sarcastic, and I'm sorry if my message came off that way or it felt as though I was singling you out. I also used "often" because it would be wrong of me to write-off an entire country's pop music as entirely cultural appropriation. I just don't think you're contributing to the conversation by bringing up Blackpink, when one of the members of the band apologized for cultural appropriation just a few months ago.

Everyone is talk about Arianna tried to look like an Asian popstar. I'm the first one to provide a picture of an Asian popstar to make the problem more clear to see and somehow, I'm the one not contributing.

Again, I clearly provided a direct comparison of their FACES. The point I made is about Arianna altered her FACE FEATURE through make-up and hairstyle to look like an asian popstar. Of course I know Blackpink is sometimes cultural appropriation, "K-Pop" was constantly mocked for this between Asian audiences even before they got big in western world, you really don't have to try to lecture other people in this thread.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I'm a musician and I'm white. Are you telling me I'm not allowed to have reggae or latin influences in my music or else I'm culturally appropriating them? I honestly don't understand this outrage at all. Music is not a race, it's universal.
depends. are you doing this?

if you're not then no one is going to come for you.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Sorry for asking. Could anybody explain the whole squat issue? Google is getting me nowhere.

One picture in OP showed Arianna squating. Some people call that posture "Asian squat".The main gist is some people think that this kind of deep squat is only performable by Asians because they have different bone structure and limb length proportions compare to westerns, or Asians do this because they don't have toilet, or Asians squat like this to do daily activities better, something like that.

Clearly the word and the concept itself is very much racist. Similar thing happen to Russians, like those wide-spread stereotype images of Russian youths drink vodka and smoke cigarettes while resting in a deep squat posture .

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
One picture in OP showed Arianna squating. Some people call that posture "Asian squat".The main gist is some people think that this kind of deep squat is only performable by Asians because they have different bone structure and limb length proportions compare to westerns, or Asians do this because they don't have toilet, or Asians squat like this to do daily activities better, something like that.

Clearly the word and the concept itself is very much racist. Similar thing happen to Russians, like those wide-spread stereotype images of Russian youths drink vodka and smoke cigarettes while resting in a deep squat posture .
She's not really doing the Asian squat though. That's supposed to be legs apart with feet/heels flat on the ground.

The latter is the key difference because people in the west tend to squat with their heels up (heels down requiring more flexibility). Practically anybody can do the kind of squat she's doing though because she has long-ass heels on supporting her.

3I7nUin.png

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017

Thank you

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Other than condemn her for culture appropriation what should we do about this? Not listen to her music or?

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
She's not really doing the Asian squat though. That's supposed to be legs apart with feet/heels flat on the ground.

The latter is the key difference because people in the west tend to squat with their heels up (heels down requiring more flexibility). Practically anybody can do the kind of squat she's doing though because she has long-ass heels on supporting her.

3I7nUin.png

Holy shit this thread is going places... Guess no one has done lifting squats at the gym... Maybe we'll start measuring skull measurements next here.

Status
Not open for further replies.