Status
Not open for further replies.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Her parents are American-born white people. All four of her grandparents are American-born white people. She's a rich white woman whose rich white business-owning parents gave her access to every possible opportunity to succeed. It doesn't get anymore white America than Ariana Grande.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
People in show business are fake. They have fake or stage names and extreme looks. They are trying to do what they can to stand out, because that's often times the difference between fame and irrelevance. I empathize with that pressure. She is a great singer and that's what is most important.

ishethough.png

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. Ngl I can get the desire to distort it to Granday lol. Grand-ee is kinda blunt sounding in comparison.

I think her dad or grandpa was quoted as saying that the last name is actually pronounced "Grandy" and they were confused why she started telling people to pronouce it "Grahn-day". My guess is that "Grahn-day" sounds more latino and ethnic.
Her last name is an Italian surname with several variants, Grande (pronounced in Italian "grahn-day") and Grandi (pronounced in Italian "grahn-dee") the most common amongst them. She is technically correct that the way she is pronouncing her name now is the intended Italian pronunciation. That is unless her historic family surname is actually Grandi, which could have gotten incorrectly transcribed or Anglicized at a place like Ellis Island upon her grandparents immigrating to America. This potentially could be the reason her grandfather pronounced it "grahn-dee".

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The evolution of her look:
Ds6oNKfXcAAGHVE.jpg
I'm not a pop music guy so I was only vaguely aware of Ariana Grande as a popular musician and just subconsciously presumed that she was Mestizo or something. Then someone posted this to me however long ago and now this exact image comes to my brain whenever Ariana Grande comes up.

Skin whitening's a thing too I guess so I probably can't call this a purely white people thing, and I don't think it's my place to be offended until she unlocks her next form or two. But it's weird to me when people put such a big aesthetic concern on skin colour. Even stuff like tanning; you get a bit darker if you go outside too long on a sunny day, it's just some minor biological thing that happens, I wouldn't think of going out of my way to do it.

Oct 27, 2017
She was Cat in Victorious and Sam and Cat- honestly didn't realize that, my niece used to watch that all the time. Maybe that'll jog some memories because holy fuck did she look different.

Didn't realize how much she really has tried to…look certain parts until this thread. That's real fucking weird, like some Rachel Dolezal kind of stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol people in this thread defending Ariana until they actually see a side-by-side.

Maybe do that simple step yourselves, before jumping to the defense of a woman who is NOTORIOUS for this behavior?

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Her last name is an Italian surname with several variants, Grande (pronounced in Italian "grahn-day") and Grandi (pronounced in Italian "grahn-dee") the most common amongst them. She is technically correct that the way she is pronouncing her name now is the intended Italian pronunciation. That is unless her historic family surname is actually Grandi, which could have gotten incorrectly transcribed or Anglicized at a place like Ellis Island upon her grandparents immigrating to America. This potentially could be the reason her grandfather pronounced it "grahn-dee".
That makes sense and I know people change the way their last name is pronounced over the generations too. I'm Mexican so immediately pronounce it the Spanish way and used to think she was Latina. It's definitely not like Lana Del Rey who changed her last name to a Spanish surname.

Edit: typos

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Like I don't see what's wrong with this. Do people not know that white latinas/latinos are a thing? If the argument is that she's trying to look latina, then it's a bad one, seeing as how both pictures could perfectly pass as a featuring a latina. Or I guess she isn't supposed to get tanned? Just stay with the same skin tone you had from when you were a teenager because… reasons?

This isn't to deny that she has appropriated other cultures. She definitely has. But to declare that she MUST have a certain skin tone/make up routine is weird as fuck. Plenty of Asians who look "white," plenty of latin@ people who actually ARE white, or black, brown, Asian, etc.
But she's not latina..... She's Italian-American

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
But she's not latina..... She's Italian-American

Others have posted here on this, but Latinos and Latinas aren't all Spanish descendent and are actually quite diverse - just like most "American" nations. Specifically, Argentina is loaded with Italian descendants, but are "Latin".

In general, it's getting a little weird where folks are rallying here but basically are dismissing diversity in other countries to see it through US ethnic lenses.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Others have posted here on this, but Latinos and Latinas aren't all Spanish descendent and are actually quite diverse - just like most "American" nations. Specifically, Argentina is loaded with Italian descendants, but are "Latin".

In general, it's getting a little weird where folks are rallying here but basically are dismissing diversity in other countries to see it through US ethnic lenses.
I'm not sure how this conversation follows. "Latino" suggests someone from Latin America. Italy's not in Latin America, it's in Europe. Ariana Grande is from Florida, and her parents are from Florida and New York. Certainly, there are white Latinos, but where does the "Latino" fit in with Ariana Grande? Why is that even being discussed?

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a pop music guy so I was only vaguely aware of Ariana Grande as a popular musician and just subconsciously presumed that she was Mestizo or something. Then someone posted this to me however long ago and now this exact image comes to my brain whenever Ariana Grande comes up.

Skin whitening's a thing too I guess so I probably can't call this a purely white people thing, and I don't think it's my place to be offended until she unlocks her next form or two. But it's weird to me when people put such a big aesthetic concern on skin colour. Even stuff like tanning; you get a bit darker if you go outside too long on a sunny day, it's just some minor biological thing that happens, I wouldn't think of going out of my way to do it.
But she isn't tanning naturally. You can follow her career and see she's getting bronzed chemically. There are posts in this very thread showing the progression of her tanning escapades where she had a tan as dark as Nicki Minaj before she swerved away from the Afro-Latina look and is now going the vague East Asian look where she is even paler than she was as a teen. This isn't something biological. Ariana Grande didn't go from spending 20 hours in the sun all day to no sun.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I'm not sure how this conversation follows. "Latino" suggests someone from Latin America. Ariana Grande is from Florida, and her parents are from Florida and New York. Certainly, there are white Latinos, but where does the "Latino" fit in with Ariana Grande? Why is that even being discussed?

The correction of Italian-American is no different than Italian-Argetine. They have the same ethnic origins but one is Florida American but the other classifies as Latina.

That's the point... Just pointing out "she isn't Latina" a/ presumes all latinas look the same just cause of skin color and b/ Italians can't be from Latin America - they can and are, and folks from Latin America are very diverse culturally and ethnically. Just seems people are pushing against a stereotype with another stereotype.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
But she isn't tanning naturally. You can follow her career and see she's getting bronzed chemically. There are posts in this very thread showing the progression of her tanning escapades where she had a tan as dark as Nicki Minaj before she swerved away from the Afro-Latina look and is now going the vague East Asian look where she is even paler than she was as a teen. This isn't something biological. Ariana Grande didn't go from spending 20 hours in the sun all day to no sun.
Honestly, I'm not really concerned with the tanning method, I think the whole thing is weird. Whether it's Ariana Grande potentially engaging in cultural appropriation, which I guess would because she feels that Italian people are boring or unmarketable, or it's Donald Trump putting in energy to get his orange shade.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

But Ariana is American. Of course she should be viewed through a US lenses. She's literally Italian American and grew up in Florida!

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm not really concerned with the tanning method, I think the whole thing is weird. Whether it's Ariana Grande potentially engaging in cultural appropriation, which I guess would because she feels that Italian people are boring or unmarketable, or it's Donald Trump putting in energy to get his orange shade.
It's pretty clear she is engaging in cultural appropriation. Her music, the people she would perform with, the way she would speak in interviews, and other things make it very obvious. She's profited off of her black-coded persona and will absolutely do the same with her new Asian-inspired coding.

And you were the one who brought up natural tanning. I'm just pointing out that this wasn't that, so you can't use that as an explanation.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
But Ariana is American. Of course she should be viewed through a US lenses. She's literally Italian American and grew up in Florida!

Does ethnicity only exist in the US? I'm just saying there actually people from these countries a little cross eyed why everyone keeps saying she's looking Latina versus Italian... It's been brought up a few times already.

Anyway, I think Ariana is trash in every dimension, and her music sucks. So whatever, just finding some generalizing here a little awkward (since I presume it's white Americans getting offending on behalf of other people when, yeah - let them speak for themselves)

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
This is Rachel Dolezal writ large and we have people here making the same damn excuses for a complete stranger

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear she is engaging in cultural appropriation. Her music, the people she would perform with, the way she would speak in interviews, and other things make it very obvious. She's profited off of her black-coded persona and will absolutely do the same with her new Asian-inspired coding.

And you were the one who brought up natural tanning. I'm just pointing out that this wasn't that, so you can't use that as an explanation.
I wasn't trying to say that it was an explanation. I'm saying that that, at least personally, tanning is just a natural biological function that I have no strong feelings for one way or another - it's not a significant concern whether or not I'm particularly light or dark form moment to me. So to me, it's alien that people go out of their way to change their skin colour for some aesthetic purpose or to present as fashionable, such as Ariana Grande does.

Regardless of whether it's cultural appropriation or not - and I'm not going to claim it isn't, it's just that I don't think I map up to the specific non-white groups she's appropriating, so it's not really my place to be offended by it - it just personally strikes me as a weird gimmick to have.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The correction of Italian-American is no different than Italian-Argetine. They have the same ethnic origins but one is Florida American but the other classifies as Latina.

That's the point... Just pointing out "she isn't Latina" a/ presumes all latinas look the same just cause of skin color and b/ Italians can't be from Latin America - they can and are, and folks from Latin America are very diverse culturally and ethnically. Just seems people are pushing against a stereotype with another stereotype.

Does ethnicity only exist in the US? I'm just saying there actually people from these countries a little cross eyed why everyone keeps saying she's looking Latina versus Italian... It's been brought up a few times already.

Anyway, I think Ariana is trash in every dimension, and her music sucks. So whatever, just finding some generalizing here a little awkward (since I presume it's white Americans getting offending on behalf of other people when, yeah - let them speak for themselves)
What are you arguing? Ariana, her parents & her grandparents are American with roots in New York. She has deeper roots to Sicily & Abruzzo, Italy. None of this is of Latina descent. Also the controversy is of Ariana appropriating Black & Asian cultures. Both Ariana & this conversation has nothing to do with the (legitimate) diversity of Latina culture. She literally has no connection to Latina culture.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't trying to say that it was an explanation. I'm saying that that, at least personally, tanning is just a natural biological function that I have no strong feelings for one way or another - it's not a significant concern whether or not I'm particularly light or dark form moment to me. So to me, it's alien that people go out of their way to change their skin colour for some aesthetic purpose or to present as fashionable, such as Ariana Grande does.
But nobody is upset by the act of tanning on its own. It's the combination of her known cultural appropriation with the tanning and now de-tanning and giving her eyes a look that would make people think she is asian. This is the girl who got "seven barbecue grill" tattooed on her skin in Japanese.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
What are you arguing? Ariana, her parents & her grandparents are American with roots in New York. She has deeper roots to Sicily & Abruzzo, Italy. None of this is of Latina descent. Also the controversy is of Ariana appropriating Black & Asian cultures. Both Ariana & this conversation has nothing to do with the (legitimate) diversity of Latina culture. She literally has no connection to Latina culture.
I think the point is that Latinos don't "look" a certain way. It's as meaningless (or insulting) as saying someone looks Mexican.

Americans are bad with descriptors though, so anyone brown will be called Hispanic/Latino at some point in their life.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
But nobody is upset by the act of tanning on its own. It's the combination of her known cultural appropriation with the tanning and now de-tanning and giving her eyes a look that would make people think she is asian. This is the girl who got "seven barbecue grill" tattooed on her skin in Japanese.
I'm just going to be upfront and say that I genuinely have no idea what you think I've been saying or what you're trying to convince me of that I don't already understand.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I think the point is that Latinos don't "look" a certain way. It's as meaningless (or insulting) as saying someone looks Mexican.

Americans are bad with descriptors though, so anyone brown will be called Hispanic/Latino at some point in their life.
This is completely off topic

grand

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, yes, there is no certain way Latinos should look. But that's a really far stretch from the point of this thread. We shouldn't be getting to the point where we're defending Ariana's non-existent Latina heritage.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, my family is an example of that Italian/Latin American crisscross. The thing is, as far as I can tell, Ariana has no Latin American roots almost at all? I think the Italian American correction makes sense in this context: she isn't this (Latina/Black/Asian), she is that (Italian American).

Perhaps, though, there has been an underemphasis on Latino diversity underlying the discussion. The pictures where she's supposed to look white and the pictures where she's supposed to look Black all look Latina passing to me, lol.

Either way, the weirdness of her evolving look is pretty clear. She's very much been going out of her way to evoke ethnicities she has no connection to.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, yes, there is no certain way Latinos should look. But that's a really far stretch from the point of this thread. We shouldn't be getting to the point where we're defending Ariana's non-existent Latina heritage.

i think the problem, and is something that annoyed me earlier in the thread as well.

someone posted "is she not latina?!" and then someone else posted a photo of herewhen she was pasty white, as if somehow means something.

i know is kinda off-topic, but it really annoys me as a mexican.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What's the squat thing about? Is there a thing about squatting and Asians that I'm missing?

in many Asian countries people squat everywhere. Some squat to do laundry, others to eat, and others just hanging out.

also toilets are not as common place as they are in the west, especially in rural areas, there is like a pan or something so you squat to use the bathroom.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
i think the problem, and is something that annoyed me earlier in the thread as well.

someone posted "is she not latina?!" and then someone else posted a photo of herewhen she was pasty white, as if somehow means something.

i know is kinda off-topic, but it really annoys me as a mexican.
On page 6, someone posted "she's not Hispanic" which was responded with someone posting a nonsense picture of Ariana. But that occurred in response to this same conversation that was already happening at the time (for multiple pages). While that effortless image response was dumb, it has nothing to do with this weird long-running argument.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Trolling around cultural appropriation over multiple posts; prior severe ban
Do I hate racism more than I love Ariana?

I'll get back to you on that

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Ds6oNKfXcAAGHVE.jpg

"Grandee" on the left 👈 "Granday" on the right 👉
Wtf lol.

I feel like she obviously has done things to keep her "doors open" type of thing. Like maybe not go out of her way to make a stand on stuff and also her look or pushing herself any which way she pushes. (Going from white to tan look)

Look I get that she as an artist can do what she wants but this latest look of her is likely going to have more people question her...ways? Like ok she has set her image a certain way and people love her, style and tone of music. Cool. But now she looks Asian? What happened to her tan look? Is she maybe crossing a line she shouldn't even as an artist? (Race appropriation‽)

Edit:

I didn't know what "blackfishing " was a thing but I don't think Ariana means any harm or is doing this with bad faith at all. I truly believe it's just her changing her make up at the end of the day but some may not like that or maybe think she is trying to dump her past look to benefit from another group. Idk it could be just a temporary thing maybe? I'm a little confused. I'm going to have to read more about her latest change. Personally I think she is pushing it.

Edit2: ok I was getting side tracked of the conversation from others here but I agree with OP 100%.

Last edited:

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Feel like a thread where Asians are getting thrown under a bus with the comments I'm reading.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm just brainwashed at this point, because I saw exactly what OP was saying without any further elaboration

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
*Goes through thread*

I'm Taiwanese, born and raised in Taiwan, only visited family in US and went to university there.
And the it's not racism is...really not suprising or suprising to be reading.

White skin tone is really a super power that get people to defend you, isn't it?

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
*Goes through thread*

I'm Taiwanese, born and raised in Taiwan, only visited family in US and went to university there.
And the it's not racism is...really not suprising or suprising to be reading.

White skin tone is really a super power that get people to defend you, isn't it?

Yup. See also the Sebold thread.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
what the fuck. also what the fuck at the posts trying to excuse this. what the fuuuuuuuck.
do better, era.

Status
Not open for further replies.