MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, I rewatched my blu-rays on a 4k tv yesterday and the film's effects haven't aged as well as I'd hoped. I wonder how things will look in 4k!

Peter Jackson is totally against ever doing work to the movie's special effects, correct?

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, I rewatched my blu-rays on a 4k tv yesterday and the film's effects haven't aged as well as I'd hoped. I wonder how things will look in 4k!

Peter Jackson is totally against ever doing work to the movie's special effects, correct?
As Tanuki-Go mentioned, it's been discussed over the years, and Peter has resisted the temptation to do a George Lucus with his works thus far. I think at this stage, he's pretty much finished with Middle-earth and this 4K remaster is the last time he'll oversee any work done on the trilogies.

Joe2494

Jan 21, 2019
As Tanuki-Go mentioned, it's been discussed over the years, and Peter has resisted the temptation to do a George Lucus with his works thus far. I think at this stage, he's pretty much finished with Middle-earth and this 4K remaster is the last time he'll oversee any work done on the trilogies.

This is a shame. As long as the original edits remain available in some capacity, I'd really love to see some of the effects get a touch up. Even if it's just changes to cover blemishes made visible by the improved home media resolutions...

I was watching the films again recently and spotted the Hobbit scale doubles in their (rather horrible) latex masks far too many times. Updates to hide some of these seams wouldn't be the worst thing.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
will this 4k remaster support dolby atmos on a ps5? i'd rather it didn't as it gives weird audio dropouts with my current setup if i play anything dolby atmos.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Why did they delay it in Germany? It's so frustrating, not that I would ever watch it dubbed.
34122294-DEB3-4043-8-BAD-EB4-B20930-D6-D.jpg

Green tint is gone on Itunes (still HD but new masters?)

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 4K UHD Extended & Theatrical (2001-2003) - Page 275 - Blu-ray Forum

Page 275- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 4K UHD Extended & Theatrical (2001-2003) 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Why did they delay it in Germany? It's so frustrating, not that I would ever watch it dubbed.

Green tint is gone on Itunes (still HD but new masters?)

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 4K UHD Extended & Theatrical (2001-2003) - Page 275 - Blu-ray Forum

Page 275- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 4K UHD Extended & Theatrical (2001-2003) 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies
Yeah I checked myself and it's clearly a new master, but still HD.
it actually looks pretty incredible at 1080

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's a shame because the green screen work on these movies is really weak.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
just noticed that each movie is on 2 discs...

bleh
Did you own the blurays? For me personally, I never found the 2 discs to be much of an issue due to the length of the movies. The intermission is usually at a pretty natural break point, and people I watch with typically welcome the chance to get a snack, use the washroom etc.
I get the frustration though, it would be better to just be able to pause or whatever.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada

Um... someone in that thread said they've added extra effects to flashback scenes or something. I am a little concerned right now.
Edit: sorry for double post
Edit: another user replied and said they think it's the same, just a difference due to the master. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Um... someone in that thread said they've added extra effects to flashback scenes or something. I am a little concerned right now.
Edit: another user replied and said they think it's the same, just a difference due to the master. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Wouldn't be the worst thing you can do given it's like THE reference point for an outstanding German dub lol

I can't deal with any dub, no matter the quality, the lip movement just takes me out instantly. Might be because of my job (SLP), but the disconnect is too much.

just noticed that each movie is on 2 discs...

bleh

They're simply too long to put on a single disc. I prefer switching it out rather than compromise on image quality.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Some interesting information thus far. It does seem like there have been some significant updates, with the removal of the green tint been the most significant.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wish we had more pictures of the supposed new master on itunes.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but the most important ones show that the green tint has finally been banished into the void.
Due to this thread update I checked my itunes version of the trilogy to see if it was updated and i checked between the itunes version and Vudu version (thx to movies anywhere) and man was seeing that a world of a difference. (not 4k yet on my itunes but at least they updated the version i redeemed digitally years ago)

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Indeed. It's frustratingly complicated.
i remember a few pages ago during the original announcement how i was told i was fear mongering because i said this was confusing af.

over a month later and we still have people thinking a *new* 4k master is coming next year. WB did no one any favors in how they rolled this out.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to these. I have the appendices on my current Bluray set so I don't need them again. They will probably be on DVD again and after watching the movies in 4k it would be a big nope.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone sit down and watch these movies all the way through anyway? They're seventeen hours long each. I tend to watch them like a TV series, an hour or so at a time.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone sit down and watch these movies all the way through anyway? They're seventeen hours long each. I tend to watch them like a TV series, an hour or so at a time.
I tend to watch them all the way through, although that's becoming more difficult with ROTK which tend to lose my attention. Fellowship is still as enthralling as ever for me.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, it looks like the EE versions are still two discs, so I can maintain that tradition.. lol.

I'll probably even put them in the original EE DVD boxes I have, those are way better than what we're getting these days.