wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
To be fair, The Lord of the Rings would work rather well as a TV series with some clever editing.

IMG_3213_-_Version_2__3_.jpg

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but the most important ones show that the green tint has finally been banished into the void.

DYJ0Ewu.png

vGHAlyW.png

AxV0j3J.png
I wonder if those screens posted on the blu-ray.com forum are actually indicative of the 4K color grading. We'll have to wait and see. The green/teal filter being gone is good, but I also don't really want a return to the overly pinkish tone of the theatrical home release.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Yo i know people are going to dunk on me, but I saw these movies for the first time in my life last year, and they were just like OKAY. I did not understand the fervor 🤷‍♂️

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yo i know people are going to dunk on me, but I saw these movies for the first time in my life last year, and they were just like OKAY. I did not understand the fervor 🤷‍♂️
With major movies like this, the context can be important. It's like trying to explain why Seven Samurai or Star Wars were so exciting when so many movies after them were heavily influenced by them. When the LotR movies came out, vaguely decent budget fantasy with a bit of quality almost didn't exist. Heavily serialized TV shows were super rare too, so having that much content hit in a period of just three years was a pretty wild ride.

But LotR really opened up the genre for studios for much of what's come after.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
With major movies like this, the context can be important. It's like trying to explain why Seven Samurai or Star Wars were so exciting when so many movies after them were heavily influenced by them. When the LotR movies came out, vaguely decent budget fantasy with a bit of quality almost didn't exist. Heavily serialized TV shows were super rare too, so having that much content hit in a period of just three years was a pretty wild ride.

But LotR really opened up the genre for studios for much of what's come after.
Thanks for this. You've made it make sense to me. I was watching these movies thinking: "Game of Thrones first few seasons were better than this," or "This is like every bog standard fantasy game I've played in the past 5 years." Now I understand.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this. You've made it make sense to me. I was watching these movies thinking: "Game of Thrones first few seasons were better than this," or "This is like every bog standard fantasy game I've played in the past 5 years." Now I understand.

Your last point has less to do with the LOTR movies and more to do with the original novels and their publication in the 50s. They literally created every trope and fantasy cliche that modern fantasy built itself upon.

Last edited:

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My best friend and I do a yearly marathon of the extended cuts in a day and this is going to greatly enhance this year's viewing. Holy hell I'm so excited lol

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I was so excited to see fixed colors in FOTR I completely forgot about HDR. God damn I am happy to see this again.

FCMaxi

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Those off-screen pics from Bill Hunt looks very lovely indeed. You can see the wide colour gamut working here and it all looks great. I can't bloody wait to marathon these next week.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
I heard there is an ultimate edition coming out next summer, with all of the making of footage, and some new footage never before seen.

Want this, but will wait til next year.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, neither the Series X or PS5 do Dolby Vision, so do they just emulate DV with HDR 10?

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Saw each film multiple times in theaters and revisited the extended trilogy annually for a very long time, but cut way back so they feel more special when I do go back. It's probably been 4-5 years since my last viewing. I cannot wait for this. Even those twitter screenshots are stunning.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Fucking hype. I rewatched these for the first time in probably 10 years earlier in June this year. Since then I've been itching to go back. I can't wait for these.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
What color issues are people talking about? Thought the extended edition looked great on Blu-ray

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All UHD, even those with Dolby Vision, have a base layer of HDR10 metadata. So the next-gen consoles aren't so much 'emulating' DV as much as they're just ignoring that layer of data and using the HDR10 layer to refer to.
I wonder what will happen first:

DV support for PS5/Xbox
or
DV playback on PC from my MKVs

Still bought this but goddamn I'm disappointed that PS5 doesn't support DV yet.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver here, my Two Towers EE on iTunes has been upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision. Other two are still HD

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a casual LOTR fan (haven't watched this since the EEs were initially put out on DVD), but these transfers look stunning!

I'll assume that the current box set will get cheap once the better box set is out next year, so I'll pick it up then.